• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness is the best multiplayer game since Until Dawn

sn00zer

I refuse to believe most people play single player games in a void. Not everyone sits alone without anyone else present in the room when they play games and there is no way they are are staying silent as you get stuck on a puzzle, just beat a boss you've been working on, or have a big story decision to make.

Sat down with my family and popped in The Witness and had one of the more fun family nights Ive had in a while. People standing up letting their finger hover just above the screen as they point out a clue, people pulling out sheets of paper when they have an idea, and of course tons of controller swapping, which became fun and infuriating as people had vastly different levels of control. Really awesome when one person solvs a puzzle before everyone else and suddenly the whole room goes "OOooooooh now I get it". While this sort of play "kills" the quiet atmosphere the game evokes, it more than makes up as everyone cooperates to beat the game together whether its by shouting out ideas or "driving" for a bit.

Just thought people should know who are on the fence about grabbing this. Great game to play with a group whether its family, friends, or significant others.

whitehawk

Banned
Ahh, no actual multiplayer just fun to play with friends?

Seems my mom would enjoy thewitness now that I think about it.

Gsnap

Yeah my friend and I played some one day when he was over. It's really nice having a second set of eyes. And it's really easy to pass the controller between people so they can all try their own solution.

Looking so forward to playing this with my wife. Her and I went through all the Myst games together last year, as well as both Monkey Island games and Until Dawn, so this is right up our alley.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
My wife was not interested at all in playing the witness with me. She watched the first thirty minutes and got bored quickly, as the puzzles at that point are ask super straightforward. Maybe if she stick around for the later ones she'd be more interested, but I doubt it.

My girlfriend and I have been having a great time playing the Witness together. Makes getting stuck a much rarer and less frustrating experience. She's almost never interested in games but she's so into this that she's forbidden me from playing this weekend while she's away on business.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
My wife doesn't usually play games, but last night we played The Witness with 2 of our friends and it was some of the best multiplayer gaming I've ever enjoyed in my life.

SummitAve

Banned
Yep, my gf got sucked into it just watching and helping me play. It's great cause I can hand her the controller and it's simple and intuitive enough for her to engage with. She can't play 1st person games that use two analog sticks, but because there's no risk or hurry involved with anything she has actually been able to handle it no problem.

I started playing it with my boyfriend and I'm not sure if we should continue because we're both core gamers and like to be the one playing so the moment there was downtime in a puzzle we'd steal the controller from each other, which is probably not how this game was meant to be played :p

Anung

Un Rama
I played Until Dawn alone the first time through but on my second I had a bunch of friends over and we assigned each person a character and it was just a hilarious experience. People getting scared and making split second choices was so immersive. Until Dawn feels different from most horror in that regard.

Tizoc

Wait this has multiplayer mode?
Will grab it on PS4 when it goes on sale, for now I'll get it on Steam so I can get a andle of it.
Plan on letting my nephews play it on their PS4 since they took a liking to Talos Principle.
I take it the game doesn't have an option for 3rd person view?

Will grab it on PS4 when it goes on sale, for now I'll get it on Steam so I can get a andle of it.
Plan on letting my nephews play it on their PS4 since they took a liking to Talos Principle.
No actual multiplayer mode, but just fun to collaborate with people since the puzzles are well suited for it.

poutmeter

A couple of my friends have no interest in playing video games themselves but like to watch someone -usually me- play them. The Witness is their choice for the weekend and I didn't even have to bring it up.

OneUh8

This is kinda how I want to play this game. I need to convince the wife to play with me. She does not game at all btw.

Haunted

If you want another great singleplayer multiplayer romp to fill an evening, I can wholeheartedly recommend The Vanishing of Ethan Carter.

Super joyful to just walk through the game, point out different things, looking for clues, puzzling things out and discussing ideas (always have a dedicated note taker ready!) :D

MMaRsu

Banned
Yup me and a buddy were having fun passing around the controller trying to solve some of the harder ones :)

IvanJ

Banned
Yeah, it's an awesome multiplayer experience, providing that one of the people doesn't barf their lunch all over the other one.

But, seriously, I completely agree. My wife and I had crazy fun playing Until Dawn, and are equally entertained by sving the puzzles together.

It is also the ultimate relationship test, with both of us stubbornly trying to push our own version of the solution :)

sn00zer

YES!....No not really...its just a good shared experience games

GorillaJu

I had a similar epiphany with this little gem about 10 years ago

Zack_%26_Wiki_-_Quest_for_Barbaros'_Treasure_Coverart.png

jesu

Sounds good to me.
I've been playing a Boy and His Blob like that with my daughter.
She's been telling me what to do.

Persona7

Banned
I haven't played the witness yet but the multiplayer in Beyond : Two Souls is really fun. The second player can control Aiden using a iOS or android app.

Fermbiz

Gold Member
I was telling my friend about this the other day. I suggested that The Witness could be fun if you play the game with someone else, helping each other out.

I showed my niece The Talos Principle and she loved it. Her and her friend play and they have a good time.

Despera

Banned
I actually had a fun couple of hours with the fam as they solved some of the earlier puzzles (I deactivated the panels and let them have at it).

Didn't solve any new puzzles with them though as I plan to do the whole thing by myself.

My 11 year old daughter and I had an awesome time sitting down and playing together. We solved the first 40 panels together and 2 minds were definitely better than one. Her little 11 year old brain helped me figure out some things I didn't notice.

I agree OP, it is an awesome non mulitplayer, multiplayer game.

hesido

What about The Witness though? And 'displayed' is a bit too graphic for my tastes. I can't get the image out of my head.

"...showed mild interest for the game we're talking about."

Sorry, non native English speaker here, although now I see "display" was a shitty choice for what I was trying to say, I don't know what kind of graphic image that my words can create in your head :(

onQ123

I refuse to believe most people play single player games in a void. Not everyone sits alone without anyone else present in the room when they play games and there is no way they are are staying silent as you get stuck on a puzzle, just beat a boss you've been working on, or have a big story decision to make.

Sat down with my family and popped in The Witness and had one of the more fun family nights Ive had in a while. People standing up letting their finger hover just above the screen as they point out a clue, people pulling out sheets of paper when they have an idea, and of course tons of controller swapping, which became fun and infuriating as people had vastly different levels of control. Really awesome when one person solvs a puzzle before everyone else and suddenly the whole room goes "OOooooooh now I get it". While this sort of play "kills" the quiet atmosphere the game evokes, it more than makes up as everyone cooperates to beat the game together whether its by shouting out ideas or "driving" for a bit.

Just thought people should know who are on the fence about grabbing this. Great game to play with a group whether its family, friends, or significant others.

Maybe you should use the word Social Interactive.

And I think that title go to PlayRoom,SingStar & Just Dance.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
The Witness is freaking amazing when played with multiple people! One of my favorite gaming experiences in a while playing with friends/family. You can almost hear the brain gears working in the room, it's freaking fantastic.

DarkTom

Life is Strange and Fez were the last two games I enjoyed playing that way.

I would like to try The Witness through a demo.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
"...showed mild interest for the game we're talking about."

Sorry, non native English speaker here, although now I see "display" was a shitty choice for what I was trying to say, I don't know what kind of graphic image that my words can create in your head :(

I was only joking by the way, but you asked ...

My wife displayed mild interest for a couple of hours so that's more than enough.

Couldn't find the other gif.

Fury451

Banned
Ha, knew exactly what you meant by the title OP. I agree; I'm still early in it, but I've played it with my friend and his wife (just like we all did with Until Dawn), and it's great to have extra interaction and brainpower to pool for some puzzle solutions. Pretty cool to experience two games that offer a great community bonding experience within just a few months of each other.

Fredrik

Not sure about the "since Until Dawn" part but The Witness is a blast as a couch multiplayer game, I'm currently playing it with my wife and kids and while my daughter seems to have more fun when I'm just wandering around in the colorful world it has certainly made all of us sit together and just enjoy gaming in a way we haven't done in years. Unless the game changes for the worse later on I'm pretty sure I'll have this game on my GOTY list this year.

Acerac

Banned
I will not play The Witness unless my boyfriend is with me.

Two heads are so often better than one.

Top Bottom