• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness - Release Date Trailer, coming 26th January 2016

Tsosie

I kinda want to stop coming in these threads as I'm already super sold and excited for the game. I can't help it though, kinda like jumping in to build the hype! Avoiding any possible spoilers and speculation and going in blind as possible for sure.

Yep, I am starting to see too many black spoiler bars in this thread. Time to hop out. Catch you all on the island.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
While making that thread, I finally saw that first gameplay trailer. It does a much better job at showing what the game is about than the release date trailer, and what the panels are actually used for

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7h7AleSCF4

That trailer just showed me the solution to something that has stumped me for a while. Not the rote "where to draw the line" solution, but a way of thinking about these puzzles and their solutions, and what impact the solution you input has on the world.

Non-specific spoilers about how some puzzles in this game work:

Some puzzles have more than one correct solution - more than one way to complete them and move on. But the solution you pick that effects the world - raising a walkway, rotating something to the right or left, etc - based on which way you solve the puzzle. So although there's more than one solution, there's only one "correct" solution. Or you made need to switch your solution at different times according to your needs.

And... that trailer showed me there's a puzzle that works that way I didn't realize worked that way, which will let me get passed something I had been stumped by.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
That trailer just showed me the solution to something that has stumped me for a while. Not the rote "where to draw the line" solution, but a way of thinking about these puzzles and their solutions, and what impact the solution you input has on the world.

Non-specific spoilers about how some puzzles in this game work:

Some puzzles have more than one correct solution - more than one way to complete them and move on. But the solution you pick that effects the world - raising a walkway, rotating something to the right or left, etc - based on which way you solve the puzzle. So although there's more than one solution, there's only one "correct" solution. Or you made need to switch your solution at different times according to your needs.

Is it the case that any panel can be re-initialized and re-solved even after you've solved it once?

Having only seen all these line puzzles, variety is my biggest worry right now. Are they just a means to an end and not the puzzles themselves? (Like tetromino in Fez)

hollomat

Banned
I'm pumped for this game and it's a definite day one purchase for me. However I'm disappointed to see it's nowhere near the top of the charts on Steam or Humble. Hopefully this changes once it actually releases on Tuesday since by all accounts it seems like an excellent game and one Jonathan Blow put 7 years of his life and all his money into.

LordKinbote

Neo Member
I'm pumped for this game and it's a definite day one purchase for me. However I'm disappointed to see it's nowhere near the top of the charts on Steam or Humble. Hopefully this changes once it actually releases on Tuesday since by all accounts it seems like an excellent game and one Jonathan Blow put 7 years of his life and all his money into.

What possible reason would there be for buying it early? My excitement for this game has to be in the top 1% of all people, and I'm not buying it until it is actually out. I think it's a mistake to read into its pre-release sales.

It's just priced too high. Even the most niche games will chart on the day of release. It's whether The Witness will fall off two or three days later. It might be a really nice stream game for people to get frustrated at. It certainly has the duration to keep streamers engaged. I expect Blow to tweet a few days after saying that he made his money back anyway.

So guys I know its been answered 900 times on this page alone and probably in the post above mine but is this just line puzzles?

And my second question, before bailing on this thread never to return and read your answer is this just line puzzles?

Edit: It's probably just line puzzles

It was like number #2 or #3 on the Top Sellers list when pre-orders first became available

nynt9

So guys I know its been answered 900 times on this page alone and probably in the post above mine but is this just line puzzles?

And my second question, before bailing on this thread never to return and read your answer is this just line puzzles?

Read these posts:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=193093397&postcount=107

There's something massive about The Witness that won't reveal itself to most players until many many hours in, fyi. To say anything more is a spoiler.

This is a special game, and I strongly encourage everyone to truly let puzzles sit with them, rather than resorting to a walkthrough or wiki. I think most gamers (including me!) are willing to give a tricky puzzle an honest shot, but then if they're stumped, on to an IGN wiki or GameFAQS they go.

Please do not do that, with The Witness. It's an open world game - go mess with another part of the island. Come back after you've slept on it or a few days later. To do anything else is to deprive yourself of something really special. Just this once, really try to let the puzzles and let the game soak in and sit with you.

Think about it like this - you only get to play The Witness for the first time once. If you give in and look up puzzle solutions, you'll enjoy the game. It's very pretty, you'll feel smart at parts, etc. But if you resist doing that, and truly solve everything youself, you'll enjoy it on an entirely different level.

To put it another way - the puzzles are the game. Looking up solutions is akin to letting someone else beat a tough shooter level for you, or giving in to the kiddie star after failing a tough Mario stage enough times.

...and plus every time you look at a walkthrough you run the risk of having The Thing spoiled for you, which you do not want.

hollomat

Banned
What possible reason would there be for buying it early? My excitement for this game has to be in the top 1% of all people, and I'm not buying it until it is actually out. I think it's a mistake to read into its pre-release sales.

I agree there's absolutely no reason to pre-order especially before reviews are even out and since there's no pre order discount. However normally on steam the pre order amounts are pretty telling and I think they may be telling in this case since it's only been available for pre order for a few days now.

The division doesn't come out until March, we haven't seen much of it, and it's still one of the top selling games on steam.

Like I said though, hopefully this doesn't mean anything and come Tuesday its number 1 on steam

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I don't want people getting the wrong idea from my post I've seen reposted so many times - The Witness has a very cool thing in it that reframes much of what's come before when you figure it out.

That doesn't mean most of the game isn't line puzzles. It's a little frustrating when people say "Is it all just line puzzles?' because that "just" in there makes it a loaded question - as if a collection of hundreds of exceedingly clever and distinct single-screen puzzles housed in a beautiful and serene island, with an over-arching mystery of its own, isn't a worthy video game experience. It very much is.

And because the answer is "well... kinda?" Shadow, light, reflection, memory, (to a small degree) timing, mirroring, orientation of a panel in 3D space, and input location are all things outside of a panel puzzle itself which can be part of the solution. But there are a huge number of puzzles that you just have to walk up and solve, too. And frankly they're the ones I've found most satisfying. Each new set is like learning a new language.

Spy

I don't want people getting the wrong idea from my post I've seen reposted so many times - The Witness has a very cool thing in it that reframes much of what's come before when you figure it out.

That doesn't mean most of the game isn't line puzzles. It's a little frustrating when people say "Is it all just line puzzles?' because that "just" in there makes it a loaded question - as if a collection of hundreds of exceedingly clever and distinct single-screen puzzles housed in a beautiful and serene island, with an over-arching mystery of its own, isn't a worthy video game experience. It very much is.

And because the answer is "well... kinda?" Shadow, light, reflection, memory, (to a small degree) timing, mirroring, orientation of a panel in 3D space, and input location are all things outside of a panel puzzle itself which can be part of the solution. But there are a huge number of puzzles that you just have to walk up and solve, too. And frankly they're the ones I've found most satisfying. Each new set is like learning a new language.

Line puzzles are the main mission and everything else is a side mission. That's perfectly fine with me.

The game is more than line puzzles.

Still ridiculous to that people reduce Witness to "just line puzzles". You don't people saying the same thing about Portal or The Swapper or any other puzzlers that revolve around a single puzzle element. And people know how those games evolve and expand on their main mechanic. That they can't apply that same logic to the Witness is really annoying

Still ridiculous to that people reduce Witness to "just line puzzles". You don't people saying the same thing about Portal or The Swapper or any other puzzlers that revolve around a single puzzle element. And people know how those games evolve and expand on their main mechanic. That they can't apply that same logic to the Witness is really annoying

To be honest I think when people are worrying about line puzzles they're more worried if the puzzles are all self-contained in the panels. It's also incredibly reductive but it's a little bit more valid of a complaint.

RiverKwai

tumblr_inline_o0k2atTy2v1sqh0ze_500.gif

As I was one of these people expressing worries about this earlier, let me clarify why I was worried :
- none of the game you mentioned was touted as being remarkably long
- Portal or the Swapper have mechanics whose variety you can intuitively perceive I guess. At face value (like in the videos), the lines really look like an input method, and I ended up wondering what the moment to moment gameplay was going to be like.

So yeah, sorry if people asking this annoy you. This isn't some kind of concern trolling but genuinely wondering how a game can stay engaging for up to 40 hours with the particular kind of puzzles that were shown in the trailers. I hoped for an oblique non-spoilery yet reassuring answer, I got it, I'll very probably get the game on Tuesday, it's not the end of the world.

Its a lot easier to think of multiple ways a single mechanic such as a portal or swapping gun can work when they are used in a physical environment. Also those games showcased different puzzles in their previews. All everyone has seen of the puzzles in The Witness are puzzles that take place on a single 2d board with no outside elements. Its a fair question to ask.

Plenty of people have stated there is more to the game and sometimes the environment comes into play but none of that has been shown. So unless someone has seen the posts claiming there is more than 2d line puzzles they are left to wonder what else is there.

Just saw a really interesting video of Blow explaining his mentality when it comes to game design and how he believes the industry gets it wrong, if anyone wants to watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1Fg76c4Zfg

Of course, this video came out nearly four years ago, but his philosophy of game design (at least through his words, I've never actually played Braid) is one I am definitely on board with and always have been. However, I don't really think it's fair to criticize Japanese games as being more dumbed down, even back in 2012, when Western games are, and have been for many years now, had the same issue.

Bedlam

Game looks gorgeous!

That said, I don't know if I have it in me to tackle hundreds of puzzles. I'm definitely going to pay attention to the first impressions and reactions here.

LordKinbote

Neo Member
Warning, people: the spoiler gate has been lifted, and they're starting to flood through. I was on the Witness subreddit on a speculation thread about what kinds of puzzles that we thought would be in the game, and someone shared a solution to a puzzle that was both NOT speculative and, as far as I know, NOT revealed elsewhere. Granted, it was covered with spoiler tags and started with "we know that" as if it were common knowledge, but it most assuredly was not.

So if you're planning on playing the game unspoiled, it might be best to step out of game discussion right around now.

Warning, people: the spoiler gate has been lifted, and they're starting to flood through. I was on the Witness subreddit on a speculation thread about what kinds of puzzles that we thought would be in the game, and someone shared a solution to a puzzle that was both NOT speculative and, as far as I know, NOT revealed elsewhere. Granted, it was covered with spoiler tags and started with "we know that" as if it were common knowledge, but it most assuredly was not.

So if you're planning on playing the game unspoiled, it might be best to step out of game discussion right around now.

I peaked at that, and I wouldn't consider it a huge leak or anything. What he mentions we know IS actually shown in the 2013 trailer if you pay attention, and the specific instance he talks about is just speculation that I actually think I saw mentioned in this very thread (or maybe it was on Reddit, unsure). It might be true, it might not, but it's just speculation based off analysis of screenshots and videos we've seen. Very specific speculation of course, but that's why it's spoiler marked.

LordKinbote

Neo Member
I peaked at that, and I wouldn't consider it a huge leak or anything. What he mentions we know IS actually shown in the 2013 trailer if you pay attention, and the specific instance he talks about is just speculation that I actually think I saw mentioned in this very thread (or maybe it was on Reddit, unsure). It might be true, it might not, but it's just speculation based off analysis of screenshots and videos we've seen. Very specific speculation of course, but that's why it's spoiler marked.

It was speculation, but if you watch the Playstation Experience demo and look at the most recent hi-res island photo posted on the official web site, it's absolutely correct speculation. Its not a huge deal, in the grand scheme of things, but from this point forward, it's only going to get worse if you want to avoid spoilers.

motbob

Neo Member
Speaking of peeking at spoilers, I watched that ten minute walkthrough that Blow did on his stream last year and figured out a solution to the vault door at the end of the video. I feel like that might be able to tide me over until Tuesday night.

GhaleonEB

Speaking of peeking at spoilers, I watched that ten minute walkthrough that Blow did on his stream last year and figured out a solution to the vault door at the end of the video. I feel like that might be able to tide me over until Tuesday night.

Thanks for this. It's another video for anyone wondering if 'it's just line puzzles'. He states clearly that the puzzles early on are self-contained, at first teaching concepts within the puzzle to solve the puzzle. But the panels quickly branch out to not be the puzzles themselves, but an indicator that a puzzle is in the area, and it's up to the player to observe, learn and then apply those leanings in the panel.

Fuck me, why it's it Tuesday yet?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It was like number #2 or #3 on the Top Sellers list when pre-orders first became available

It dropped off very quickly, though, and is currently #44 on the US store. Since the game doesn't have the section_type = ownersonly flag, it displays as an owned game on Steam Community profiles despite being unreleased, which means SteamSpy can scrape together an estimated sales figure -- it's currently sitting at 2,710 with an approximate margin of error of 1,154. (Obviously that figure doesn't include Humble keys at this stage, but due to the limited local currency support Humble has and lack of a DRM-free alternative, I doubt they will change much.) As I said yesterday, however, I think positive word of mouth post-release will go a long way to boosting sales as the weeks go by.

Top Bottom