• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness - Release Date Trailer, coming 26th January 2016

I've been looking forward to this game for many years now in some shape or form. When I first finished Braid back in 2008 and finished all of the time trials with my roommate I was hungry for more from the mind of the game's creator. In 2009 I discovered he had plans of making another game and I have been eager to see what it was ever since. The first screens and videos of the witness circa 2012-2013 blew me away and it was one of the reasons I decided to go with a PS4 this gen (albeit there were many many other reasons). I'm not sure if at the time I thought it was a PS4 exclusive or what, but I planned on getting this game from day 1. Then in in 2014-2015 the game fell off my radar (I got caught up in my career and real world stuff) and so I lost track of the game until a few months ago when news of its release started surfacing. Now we are 1-2 days away from the release and I am so excited. So much has happened in life in the last 8 years that seeing this game being released is kind of surreal.

The fact that the game has a such a mysterious aspect to me is like icing on the cake. In these 8 years I've solidified my career and have money finally and I recently built a powerful PC gaming rig so even though I originally planned to have this on the PS4, I'm going to play this game at maximum graphical settings and experience it in all its glory.

My body and my GTX 970 are ready. Now all I need is positive reviews to seal the deal.

Edmund McMillen‏ @edmundmcmillen
Spoiler : the witness is amazing

Anthony Burch‏ @reverendanthony
Been playing The Witness for less than an hour and my brain is already doing fun new kinds of jumping jacks.

Vexidus

Not that any negative impressions would deter me at all from enjoying The Witness, it's nice to see that so far it's been nothing but praise. Looking forward to seeing some reviews and possibly Giant Bomb's quick look, although I might have to bail out to avoid spoiling myself too much.

MercuryLS

Banned
I'm so excited for this game, easily worth $40 cause I know Jon Blow won't disappoint. This is one of the few day 1 titles for me this year. Is it also $40 in Canada?

Afro

I hope the player movement has a satisfying, fluid feel (with a gamepad, specifically). A strange concern, I know. Haven't seen this mentioned. I'm not expecting my character to be as agile as Corvo from Dishonored, but if I'm gonna' be exploring this island for ~80 hours, backtracking, etc., I hope traversing the terrain feels somewhat enjoyable and not a chore and/or bore. I'm guessing it'll be similar to Ethan Carter, which is fine. A light jog would be nice.

Vexidus

I'm so excited for this game, easily worth $40 cause I know Jon Blow won't disappoint. This is one of the few day 1 titles for me this year. Is it also $40 in Canada?

Depends on where you buy it from. Like someone mentioned, it's $43.99 CAD on Steam which is a fabulous price. If you buy it on the Humble Store/The Witness website, you pay in USD so the conversion is done which comes out to $57 CAD plus whatever tax depending on where you live.

The PSN price is still a mystery, but I assume it would be similar to the Steam price but you never know.

GhaleonEB

Been playing The Witness for less than an hour and my brain is already doing fun new kinds of jumping jacks.

*bites lower lip*

I hope the player movement has a satisfying, fluid feel (with a gamepad, specifically). A strange concern, I know. Haven't seen this mentioned. I'm not expecting my character to be as agile as Corvo from Dishonored, but if I'm gonna' be exploring this island for ~80 hours, backtracking, etc., I hope traversing the terrain feels somewhat enjoyable and not a chore and/or bore. I'm guessing it'll be similar to Ethan Carter, which is fine. A light jog would be nice.

The 10 minute stream posted a bit ago shows Blow using the sprint button. You can move at a pretty good clip.

hydruxo

This tweet right here though:

Edmund McMillen @edmundmcmillen
I've never played a game where I felt so creatively inspired that it's difficult to choose between playing and working :)

Trying to decide whether or not i want to participate in the OP. On the one hand, game is going to be so amazing that you just want to share the hype, on the other hand even with heavy spoiler tags it's too easy to get spoiled.

In other news, I'm playing The Talos Principle right now on ps4, and man it's great. Making me hyped for The Witness

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

Don't know how it feels specifically, of course, but in an interview from last year it was noted that the game has a run button.

http://www.polygon.com/features/201...-jonathan-blow-interview-ps4-playstation-4-pc

Bonus: Check out the screenshots. One contains a detail that is a bit odd. I was legit surprised when I noticed it. Could be a major spoiler if you think every single thing is a spoiler.

Dominator

I am on world C-3 in Talos Principle right now, will I be able to finish it tomorrow? We're going to find out folks!

Really want to beat that before I get into this one.

I am on world C-3 in Talos Principle right now, will I be able to finish it tomorrow? We're going to find out folks!

Yeah that's what I wanted to do to but it aint gonna happen.

I'll probably hold off that game for a while now.

I'm considering taking off Tuesday to play this...

The real question is PS4 or PC. My PC can easily play this maxed out, but my PS4 is in a comfy area and easier to play at for long periods of time.

Damn it a couple of days ago I was thinking I would wait on picking this up but now my hype is through the roof. I've gotta play it now to discover all of the secrets. I love games like this where there is some underlying hidden stuff that's not at all obvious.

ymgve

It will go quickly if your goal is "get the non-tower ending" and you ignore the stars.

If you want all the stars and all the star worlds and want to climb the tower...better not sleep for two days.

Bonus: Check out the screenshots. One contains a detail that is a bit odd. I was legit surprised when I noticed it. Could be a major spoiler if you think every single thing is a spoiler.

Man, I went through that article a few times and never noticed that detail until now.

I would bet that it will not be explained, though. You just have to think about what it means.

Dominator

It will go quickly if your goal is "get the non-tower ending" and you ignore the stars.

If you want all the stars and all the star worlds and want to climb the tower...better not sleep for two days.
I'm going for the stars, using a guide for those though. Just the stars as I heard some were near impossible without a guide. I did the first two levels of the tower also. You can just avoid that completely if you listen to Elohim? That's interesting, but I'm gonna go up that tower I'm interested as all hell with what's on top.

NUyttbn.gif

Tohsaka

I'm considering taking off Tuesday to play this...

The real question is PS4 or PC. My PC can easily play this maxed out, but my PS4 is in a comfy area and easier to play at for long periods of time.

I'm in the same position, leaning towards PS4 since I like trophies and it's 60FPS on both platforms anyway.

The Hermit

Hmmmmm. Yea I just started talos principle..I'm afraid if I play witness first I won't wanna go back to it. What to do, what to do.

I just finished talos principle. If I were you I would stick to it and play the witness later.

Personally, I am waiting for a sale, but its on my wishlist already (too many game to play now)

Top Bottom