• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness - Reviews Thread

MUnited83

For you.
This is beautiful:

Not only is it marked down because the puzzles were too hard for him personally to solve, but it was also marked down because he had to keep solving puzzles. In a fucking puzzle game!

What an idiot.

This puzzle game requires too much puzzle solving, 0/10. Football game requires goals to be made to progress, 0/10

eXistor

I hope it's the kinda game we'll get a thread about in ten years when someone found something never before seen.

I mean, what did you expect? It's a puzzle game. If you can't solve a puzzle you keep trying until you can. If all else fails or you don't have the patience for this you can always look up puzzle solutions online.

"This puzzle game has challenging puzzles. 6.5/10"

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
This is beautiful:

Not only is it marked down because the puzzles were too hard for him personally to solve, but it was also marked down because he had to keep solving puzzles. In a fucking puzzle game!

What an idiot.
Puzzle games is always divisive in reviews because of stuff like this.
They just aren't for everyone but I do hate when people then blame the game for being a puzzle game.

NHale

What an idiot.

Perfectly reasonable complaint. Where is the on-rails vehicle shooting sequence? Or the turret sequence? This is 2016 not 1996, developers need to learn that gamers need a marker to follow, turrets to shoot and a skip button to skip every puzzle that is harder than matching colors.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Wow, much better reviews than I was expecting. Congrats to Mr Blow and everyone involved. Although, I'm still not a fan of his at all so I'll still be waiting for a heavy discount or for it to show up on Plus.

GhaleonEB

That gamespot lede.

The Witness is one of the most challenging games I've ever played. During my playthrough, I experienced confusion, uncertainty, and mental exhaustion as I tried to understand this game's intricacies. At times, I considered giving up. The Witness makes few attempts at handholding, opting instead to convey its mechanics in subtle, cryptic ways as you struggle to make sense of it all.

But when you do persist, frustration gives way to gratification. This is what makes The Witness special. Unlike many puzzle games, it doesn't just make you feel intelligent--it begins on the assumption that you are intelligent. It trusts that you are a perceptive human being, capable of patience and critical thinking, and it rewards you for using both.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
This is beautiful:

What an idiot.

Way to go writer guy

Holy crapola, might have to buy this.

Is it too early to call 2016 GOTY?

Considering how you haven't even played the damn thing yet, probably.

Wozzer

That confirms it, I've booked Wednesday off work.

104.gif

Nothus

Man, I couldn't be happier for Jon Blow. He always comes across as being such a great guy who clearly cares a lot about his work.

I was already excited for this game and these review scores are only adding it.

tesqui

Huh we got some staggeringly high reviews from some. We also have a couple 7 and below scores. I wonder if this is going to be a bit divisive.

From the Videogamer.com 10/10 review

I'm so caught up inside the world of The Witness that it's hard to think about anything else. It is one of the best games I've ever encountered.

Anyone else think Its a bit scary to start a 80+ hour puzzle game!

Well this is how I'll be spending my days after my wisdom teeth surgery tomorrow! Anybody know when it will go live on the PS Store?

Lunar15

My time with this game was odd. I fall more on the negative side of the spectrum, but at the same time, I was watching someone play and I came in quite late. Both of those things don't contribute to a good experience as everything builds on each other. I'll wait for final judgement when I play the full game, if I do.

That said, some of the puzzles were way too abstract for me, and I didn't like that you could actually accidentally solve some of them, learning nothing in the process... which hurts you later on.

Nzyme32

Very nice - I badly want to read about the game, but I want to avoid spoilers of what seems set to be an experience that will be fantastic the first time through with as little knowledge as possible.

Been looking forward to this for a long time

Wow... I wasn't expecting the slew of 9/10s and 10/10s. I figured it'd be more divisive. This is great, have been looking forward to th egame for a while and my hype died down after watching some of the E3 videos last year, but now hype returned.

Been looking forward to this for a long, long time. Glad to see the reviews are what I expected. Tomorrow can't come soon enough!

Neoweee

Huh we got some staggeringly high reviews from some. We also have a couple 7 and below scores. I wonder if this is going to be a bit divisive.

The Escapist review says it is possible to get stuck in areas where you have to complete types of puzzles you haven't been "trained" to do yet, so, yeah, reviews will be quite divisive.

That plus autosaving made the reviewer restart the game.

lol
That Wall of Madness.
I can definitely see how some people fall on the complete opposite side of the fence on this one.
I'll admit, the prospect of a 40+ hour puzzle game is personally daunting.

So much of it is a mystery with layers that will only reveal themselves hours, days or weeks later. That should be great but there’s such an unloving feel and lack of feedback that it struggles to feel rewarding. Like showing an A+ report card to a parent who just frowns wordlessly.

Kerned

Banned
My time with this game was odd. I fall more on the negative side of the spectrum, but at the same time, I was watching someone play and I came in quite late. Both of those things don't contribute to a good experience as everything builds on each other. I'll wait for final judgement when I play the full game, if I do.

That said, some of the puzzles were way too abstract for me, and I didn't like that you could actually accidentally solve some of them, learning nothing in the process... which hurts you later on.
So you didn't even actually play it? Okay then...

This is beautiful:

What an idiot.

Maybe he meant (and thats what it sounds like) the pacing wasnt good. I can see how it would get annoying if the game keeps moving you from one puzzle to another without anything of interest happening in between. Imagine if Portal was just a series of test chambers with no exposition, dialogue or anything else worthwhile it would get boring at certain point. Never mind 40 hours of it.

/Shrug.

I am gonna wait for impressions from other forumites or maybe watch a stream or two, this just seems like the kind of game where press fall over themselves to shower praise on. Emperors new clothes. The 15 minute video I saw seems decent but certainly not spectacular.

hollomat

Banned
Really pumped for this. After Talos principle I've been craving another great puzzle game that'll really make me think and it sounds like this'll be it.

Definitely seems very divisive. A 10 review and a 6.5 review. All over the board

nib95

Banned
I mean, what did you expect? It's a puzzle game. If you can't solve a puzzle you keep trying until you can. If all else fails or you don't have the patience for this you can always look up puzzle solutions online.

Sounds like someone got angry feeling like a dumbdumb.

The game is designed so you can just leave the puzzle and do others instead. So it needn't be so frustrating.

Top Bottom