• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wizards and Warriors Appreciation Thread

Each of us who started gaming on the NES has that one obscure series from our childhoods that we fell in love with from the moment we saw its boxart sitting on a shelf in the gaming section of your local department store. You'd lust after this game for months, longing for the day that you'd get your hot little hands on it.

When that day finally came, be it on your birthday or Christmas, you'd load it up on your game console and play it obsessively - even if it was mediocre or sucked. Somehow though, its world, music, premise and the feelings it evoked would be forever etched into your memory as you wax nostalgic about it to people who don't know what you're talking about.

For me, Wizards and Warriors is that series.

The game I started with was actually the third in the series, but in the spirit of introducing newbies to this world of Arthurian-Tolkienesque fantasy, I'll start from the beginning:

-------------------------------
THE BACKSTORY

The series, developed by Rare so long ago that they were still called Rare-Coin-It inc., takes place either in England or Middle Earth, depending on which game's backstory you believe. Trust me when I say that storyline is not this series' strong suit.

Still, I'll explain why:

The first game introduces you as Kuros, a member of King Arthur's round table whose name was lost to history because Lancelot gets all the credit. You wield the legendary blade Brightsword because you are apparently the only knight strong enough to do so.

Also introduced in the first game is Malkil - a wizard so powerful and wise, even Merlin calls him "Master". This once good wizard has turned evil and twisted in his old age, threatening the land with his almighty malice and apparent senility. His name would also eventually be lost to history (bloody Lancelot).

The second game, however, has you summoned by elves to the Middle Earth land of Sindarin (WTF? I thought we were in England!). This game is full of Tolkienesque references, which I'll get into later.

The third game and the Gameboy spin-off are segues that don't affect the backstory much at all - the third does, however, hint at a future sequel, which again, I'll get into later.

Mainly, the backstory is about pitting the warrior Kuros against the wizard Malkil.

WIZARDS AND WARRIORS

2z704g4.jpg

As above, Wizards and Warriors starts you off somewhere in Arthurian England in the kingdom of Elrond. Yes, it's called Elrond. Yes, like the headband-wearing Elf from LotR.

I can only assume, for the sake of consistency, that Wizards and Warriors assumes that the events of LotR and the Arthurian romances took place in the same world, that Middle Earth was in fact Europe and that the land to the west that Elrond led the elves to after the events of LotR went down was somewhere in England.

Apparently, Tolkien's elves lacked ambition and far from crossing the great ocean as they intended to, settled for just crossing the English channel instead. Also, Elrond was an egomaniac who named an entire kingdom after himself.

Now that we've gotten that out of the way, here comes the good part: Malkil's nefarious plan!

Malkil, our powerful Alzheimers' patient antagonist, has taken over the kingdom of Elrond with his undead army and kidnapped various maidens of the kingdom - Lucinda, Esmarelda, Galadriel, Grizelda, Penelope and Candida along with the un-named Princess of Elrond. For what purpose he's kidnapped them, the game and manual never actually point out, but we can rest assured that whatever that purpose is, it's really really evil.

The game basically involves you, a one-man hurracane of arse-kicking, storming Elrond castle, rescuing the maidens and defeating Malkil in order to save the princess.

Each level involves you finding various items including keys to open doors, magical items, power ups and treasure chests in order to allow you to collect enough gems to progress in the game. Why do you need gems to progress, you ask? It's because the entrance to the next level is guarded by one of Malkil's henchmen - a red knight who isn't above bribery. You show him the money he's asking for and he lets you pass. Mind you, your gem counter doesn't go down until after you kill the boss - I guess he doesn't like collecting payment out in the open while on duty.

The interesting thing about this game is that even though its main genre is platforming, it turns Nintendo logic on its head - if you jump into an enemy so that your sword touches it first, the enemy gets hurt, not you. This is because of the game's weird combat system, wherein if you held down B, Kuros would stand still and you got to parry, duck and thrust with your sword using the D-pad. If anything touched your sword at all, it would get hurt.

Overall, Wizards and Warriors was a fun (if somewhat easy - owing to unlimited continues) little game. Below is a screenshot of the epic final battle between Kuros and Malkil:

2v2wlli.png

The game ends after that and you rescue the Princess. All is well until...

IRONSWORD: WIZARDS AND WARRIORS II

2961w7.jpg

Yes, that's Fabio on the cover. If this isn't the best indication possible of the AWESOME contained in this NES cart, then I don't know what could be. Sadly, you don't walk around looking like a beefier Simon Belmont with long, flowing blonde locks in-game. Instead, you seem to start off the game wearing a chain mail headpiece covering everything but your huge eyes:

2uzxo3n.gif

This game has you summoned to the land of Sindarin where Malkil, having escaped your clutches at the end of the first game, has taken over the four elemental spirits. He has also destroyed the only weapon capable of harming him directly: the Ironsword, by breaking it up into four pieces.

To top it all off, he's gotten the elemental spirits to guard a piece each in order to minimise the chances that you'll be able to put the sword back together again.

The fact that the land of Sindarin seems to be bereft of elves (they crossed the ocean to found the kingdom of Elrond, you see) lends weight to my theory that Wizards and Warriors was always seen as an epilogue to LotR by the creators... with a bit of Arthurian crossover added to avoid lawsuits.

The Tolkien references don't end there, however. Now that the elves are gone, Sindarin has been taken over by four animal kings - an eagle, a frog, a dragon and a bear. The eagle even flies you up into the clouds (which are bouncy, by the way) Gandalf-style so that you can battle the Wind Elemental. They play much the same gatekeeper role as the corrupt Red Knight did in the first game, only they demand specific golden objects from each level rather than gems.

Anyway, this game is much, much harder than the first one, especially towards the end. It also has much more variety in its levels than the first and fantastic music. In addition to the cloud level I mentioned, you also get to swim (in full armour, mind you) in a zombie-infested underground cavern, explore a rainforest, go down a volcano hole, explore some mines and climb an ice-capped volcano.

This game has a neat easter egg wherein if you walk into an Inn (where you shop for recovery items, upgraded weapons and spells) without any money, the innkeeper will grab you by the scruff of the neck and throw you out.

Upgrading weapons and armour change your appearance. A diamond sword, for example, is large and looks more like a lance. A horned helmet gives you horns. You can even swap your sword for an axe and get yourself a crusader shield.

The final level is where you face off against Malkil and actually physically kill him on the top of Icefire Mountain. The ending is epic and lame at the same time, since his head literally explodes and it's over all too quickly.

Overall, I'd say that this game is the pinnacle of the series. It got just about everything right in terms of atmosphere, difficulty and variety in combat.

WIZARDS AND WARRIORS III - KUROS: VISIONS OF POWER

1q3n9y.jpg

Malkil is back, bitches!!!

If you leave the game on the opening screen for a while, Wizards and Warriors III treats you to an epic cutscene explaining the story so far.

It starts off with Kuros raising his sword in the air, triumphant on the peak of Icefire mountain, having just slain Malkil. Thing is though, his soul actually survived and refused to go to its final destination!

You see Malkil, now a disembodied head, rise from the grave and spit some green stuff at Kuros. Surprised, he drops his sword and his helmet and is knocked out cold. Some text explains that when he comes to, he has no sword, no armour, no magic and no memory of who he is or what the hell he is doing sleeping naked on a mountaintop.

He wanders the forests of Europe/Middle Earth, looking for some sign of civilisation. At one point, he gets jumped by a troll/goblin thing, but he kung-fus its arse and takes its sword. Yes, even when he has amnesia, Kuros is just that badass.

Meanwhile, Malkil's spirit floated over to the kingdom of Piedup. This city - where the castle and houses are perched on stilts on top of one another (the game's manual explains that this was an early experiment in space saving) is ruled by good King James. Malkil spits on him too and takes over the throne.

Apparently, Piedup is small, but sits on top of some very valuable diamond mines which attracted a lot of riff raff some years ago. These days, it's a wretched hive of scum and villainy that's just perfect for a malevolent spirit wanting to make a new start in the world.

After a few years of randomly wandering and probably doing some small-time mercenary-ing, Kuros eventually hears the name Malkil and it stirs a deeply-repressed memory. He decides to go to Piedup, hand out a long-overdue smackdown and get his revenge.

Visions of Power is vastly different to the Castlevania-meets-Mario style that dominated the first two games and is closer to a Metroidvania than anything else. While the level design isn't nearly as tight, the interconnected map and backtracking features are very much present.

Piedup is split into three distinct section - the city, the castle and the underworld (monster-infested diamond mines), each with their own monsters, shops and culture. Below is a shot of the underworld.

fvfkvl.png

This game also features multiple costumes - Kuros can change between being a Knight, a Thief and a Wizard, according to what the situation calls for. Within each class, there are three sub-classes - which allow for different kinds of exploration and combat.

Each class is welcome in a different part of Piedup, thieves in the city, knights in the castle and wizards in the underworld. If you show up as the wrong class, monsters will attack you, shopkeepers will refuse to serve you and life will generally be tough. If you're smart about your costume changes though, fewer than twenty enemies will attack you throughout the whole game. Mind you, even if you're a welcome class you can still attack an enemy if you like - this will make every enemy on the screen gang up on you.

This is the game where, as a thief, you finally get to see Kuros' face. Far from being the blonde Fabio/Simon Belmont lookalike we were expecting from the first game, Kuros has black hair and sports a beard and moustache. Well, OK, maybe back in his glory days he used to shave and die his hair, but he certainly lets it all hang out now.

You get these costumes by joining the local guilds. There are three levels of membership for each guild and joining up involves first retrieving a statue belonging to that guild and beating an obstacle course. Trust me, it's a lot of grief to go through for a new set of duds. The powers you gain are:

Knight 0: Short sword (this is how you start the game)
Knight 1: Long sword (a Freudian sword more powerful than the original)
Knight 2: Boomerang Axe (this one is seriously cool)
Knight 3: Shooting sword (an even more Freudian sword that spits out stuff from the tip)

Thief 1: Knife
Thief 2: Crow bar (lets you open windows)
Thief 3: Skeleton Key (it's a huge key that lets you open any door or window in the game)

Wizard 1: Fireball (useful)
Wizard 2: Forcefield (totally useless except for one part of the game)
Wizard 3: Levitation (I can fly!)

Each class also has a different emphasis when it comes to movement. Knights are all-rounders, thieves are fast long-jumpers and wizards are slow high-jumpers.

Why doesn't Kuros just go directly to the throne room to kick some undead senile wizard arse? Apparently, with the high-rise stilt houses, diamond money and monster-infested caverns, standard architectural principles were never adhered to and the only entrance to the throne room is via a secret entrance somewhere in the underworld. Your way is also blocked by all manner of obstacles and at one point you need to promise to marry three different princesses so that they'll each give you the magical gems you'll need to open the final door.

Anyway, once you make it up there using all your new powers, there's the epic final battle where Malkil (still disguised as the King) flys around throwing tiddly winks at you. If you manage to kill him, he collapses into a pulsating blue thing. When you touch it
it turns out to be a FREAKING TIME WARP THAT SUCKS KUROS INTO THE FUTURE. The epilogue says farewell to Kuros and implies that the battle will continue for all of time.

This means that the Wizards and Warriors either has the lamest series ending in the history of video games or the most awesome. Unfortunately, Rare never touched the property again, so we're unlikely to ever see the conclusion to the story.

WIZARDS AND WARRIORS X: FORTRESS OF FEAR

2z6xxfs.png

This is the one Wizards and Warriors game that I never got to play. I don't know much about it, other than the fact that it doesn't seem to be part of the main series' continuity. I have a feeling that it's set between the first and second games.

EDIT: It seems I was wrong. It's definitely set after Ironsword, but its relation to Visions of Power is unclear. It's a side story, I guess.

The Instruction Manual said:
The Calm Before the Storm
You are Kuros. One of the bravest warriors ever to wield the IronSword. And the only one to successfully challenge the dark powers of evil Wizard Malkil.

The black deeds of Malkil know no boundaries. The first time you encountered his wrath, he had captured the Crown Princess and entrapped her in Castle IronSpire. On another occasion (one even the Villagers still live in fear of) Malkil overtook the very forces of life itself: Earth, Wind, Fire, and Water.

And yet, in the every confrontation, you were able to finally overcome the forces of his deadly black magic, weakening his powers, bit by bit. But will you be able to do it again?

As of late, the Wizard Malkil has been quiet. Too quiet. No one has seen or heard from him in over ten and seven years. And the silence is deafening.

What's more, the fair Princess Elaine has disappeared. There are no clues. No indications of where she has gone.

But down in the depths of your heart, you believe that it is Malkil who has abducted her. And taken her back to the dreaded Fortress of Fear at the opposite end of the treacherous tangled woods of Zanifer.

It is precisely at times as quiet as this, that Malkil strikes with his darkest deeds. The calm before the storm...

But this time, Kuros, don't give him a chance to strike. Enter the Fortress and catch him before he can begin to execute his plan. But then again, brave warrior, maybe your little visit is his plan...

KUROS' OTHER APPEARANCES

Kuros has also made cameos in TV commercials, the TV show Captain N: The Game Master and had a starring role in Captain N lesser ripoff Power Team. He also starred in a novelisation of his games back in the early nineties, part of the Worlds of Power series.

dr37mo.jpg

THE FUTURE

As previously mentioned, this seems to be a property that is not only dead, but long buried. Because of licensing issues, the games aren't even likely to see a VC release. It's just too bad.

Red Scarlet

Love the first one, couldn't beat the final boss of the second one without a Game Genie, never played the third one and just watched it being played (didn't you have only 1 life in that?). There is an arcade game that, although it isn't very good, plays a whole lot like the first one called Legend of Makai or something. Didn't get too far in that, however.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Oh. So not about the RPG with the same name, then?

On topic: I did love the original on the NES, though I could never go back to it today. I never much liked 2, 3, or the GB game, however.

Red Scarlet said:
Love the first one, couldn't beat the final boss of the second one without a Game Genie, never played the third one and just watched it being played (didn't you have only 1 life in that?). There is an arcade game that, although it isn't very good, plays a whole lot like the first one called Legend of Makai or something. Didn't get too far in that, however.
I'm glad to hear you admit that you couldn't beat the second one without a game genie. At least I wasn't the only one. That last boss is just brutal, what with the multiple hits, expendable magic and fast enemies.

The third one gave you three lives. I used to spend one sequence breaking (killing myself so I could get past a beehive blocking my path) so I could get the first knight costume before getting the first thief. Later I found out that you can do the same thing by somehow making the hive disappear altogether.

I didn't know about the arcade game. Was it Japan only or something?

TommyT

LOVE LOVE LOVE the original game! The music is soooo awesome. You should check out the speed runs too, they're pretty sweet!

Rotanibor

Whenever I hear the name for this game, I always get it confused with the NES game Swords and Serpents. Which was pretty awesome as well.

Red Scarlet

viciouskillersquirrel said:
I'm glad to hear you admit that you couldn't beat the second one without a game genie. At least I wasn't the only one. That last boss is just brutal, what with the multiple hits, expendable magic and fast enemies.

The third one gave you three lives. I used to spend one sequence breaking (killing myself so I could get past a beehive blocking my path) so I could get the first knight costume before getting the first thief. Later I found out that you can do the same thing by somehow making the hive disappear altogether.

I didn't know about the arcade game. Was it Japan only or something?

? :lol I have no problem saying I had to use a game genie. I think I killed two of the..elemental head things once, but never all of them without a GG. Did you get passwords or anything in the 3rd one? For some reason I keep thinking it was 1 life and no continues/pw or anything, but I guess there are 3 lives.

Arcade game came out in the US; I played it when I was about 6 or so.

Red Scarlet said:
? :lol I have no problem saying I had to use a game genie. I think I killed two of the..elemental head things once, but never all of them without a GG. Did you get passwords or anything in the 3rd one? For some reason I keep thinking it was 1 life and no continues/pw or anything, but I guess there are 3 lives.

Arcade game came out in the US; I played it when I was about 6 or so.
I was always embarrassed about doing all that work to get up to the last boss, then tripping at the final hurdle. The Game Genie was a final act of desperation.

The third one didn't have any kind of save system or passwords, unfortunately. I used to do that thing where you leave the NES on overnight when I was a kid. I did once tried to beat it in one sitting as an adult. Three hours later, I died against Malkil (I was soooo close).

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
Does anyone remember that jump in the original one? It was in the level with all the rising bubbles somewhere towards the middle of the stage. My memory is a little foggy on it but you could stand on this perch and only occasionally (like once in 300 tries) were you able to get up onto the ledge where you could get some sort of special powerup. I think it was a potion or something that enabled you to shoot of boomerangs out of your sword but my memory is hazy. Someone please remember this and refresh my memory.

Either way, the first game occupies a special place in my heart. I will forever love the main theme song.

Red Scarlet

Minotauro said:
Does anyone remember that jump in the original one? It was in the level with all the rising bubbles somewhere towards the middle of the stage. My memory is a little foggy on it but you could stand on this perch and only occasionally (like once in 300 tries) were you able to get up onto the ledge where you could get some sort of special powerup. I think it was a potion or something that enabled you to shoot of boomerangs out of your sword but my memory is hazy. Someone please remember this and refresh my memory.

Either way, the first game occupies a special place in my heart. I will forever love the main theme song.

That would be the 3rd stage, getting a bubble to rise from a specific spot to get the Axe of Agor (I think, not Igor iirc) as the throwing weapon. I'd just get up there, then fall where I needed the bubble to come out of, then get one to pop up in the right spot. You could maybe get up there via a jump potion, but I don't remember.

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
The theme song for the first one is the greatest piece of NES music ever written. All hail Dave Wise.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Minotauro said:

i was just going to post this. :lol
that part caused me many ulcers when i was a kid. Thinking about playing that part gives me nightmares.

alr1ghtstart said:
i was just going to post this. :lol
that part caused me many ulcers when i was a kid. Thinking about playing that part gives me nightmares.
It was for the axe. I remember I'd always try to keep the jump potion with me just for this occasion. It'd help, but not by much. What I hated though, was accidentally opening a chest that contained something lame, like the cape of invisibility.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
loved the first game. awesome thread. can anybody describe the pain that was climbing that god-forsaken outside of the castle? if you fall it's blammo, ALLLLL the way down. :|

Raistlin

Wait, there was a 3rd? 0_0 I'll have to try and find that. The original was one of my favs of the 8-bit gen.

Great post OP!!

PantherLotus said:
loved the first game. awesome thread. can anybody describe the pain that was climbing that god-forsaken outside of the castle? if you fall it's blammo, ALLLLL the way down. :|
I remember that. The disappearing platforms were the worst. The cruelest part was that the climb was just a quest to get gems - the Red Knight was just standing at the front door at the bottom.

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
viciouskillersquirrel said:
The Minibosses actually did a cover of it. I'm sure you can find it somewhere.

Yeah, I've heard that. I don't know...kinda loses something in translation.

Enk

makes good threads.
Loved the original to death. The "near death" music will forever been ingrained in my head. Couldn't beat the second one and never realized there was a third until many years after the release. The GB one was damn hard. I think I made it all the way to level 4 before giving up on it. Shame that this series will probably never see the light of day again.

Red Scarlet said:
There is an arcade game that, although it isn't very good, plays a whole lot like the first one called Legend of Makai or something. Didn't get too far in that, however.

There was an arcade game???? I must check this out!

Edit: Just did a quick search. Is this the game you were talking about. Looks kinda odd.

legmakaig-1.png

MidiSurf

Banned
Insanely hard games :lol

I had tons of fun playing these games but I don't remember too much of them :( Second game was best IMO.

Red Scarlet

Enk said:
Loved the original to death. The "near death" music will forever been ingrained in my head. Couldn't beat the second one and never realized there was a third until many years after the release. The GB one was damn hard. I think I made it all the way to level 4 before giving up on it. Shame that this series will probably never see the light of day again.

There was an arcade game???? I must check this out!

Edit: Just did a quick search. Is this the game you were talking about. Looks kinda odd.

legmakaig-1.png

Yeah, that's the game. It is not very good, though. But it certainly reminded me of how W&W played (guy uses sword, get boomerang knives/axes to hit guys, find colored keys/doors, get stuff that counts as money instead of gems), so I tried to play through it, but I got stuck every time.

Plus, I think one boss was a practical rip-off of the skeleton boss that throws bones and gets bigger in W&W.

Mejilan said:
Oh. So not about the RPG with the same name, then?

Somebody other than me here has actually played it?

On topic: I did love the original on the NES, though I could never go back to it today. I never much liked 2, 3, or the GB game, however.

They're okay games, but... I don't know. The games have a unique style that takes quite a bit of getting used to, for sure... my first impression was definitely negative. I haven't played them all that much, though... enough to know that it does get a bit better once you get used to it, anyway. Hard, unforgiving, and with sometimes frustrating controls... definitely a recipe for frustration, though the NES had a lot of games that met those requirements, for sure. So yeah, decent games, but not among the NES greats, in my opinion.

MidiSurf said:
Insanely hard games

That too... Rare loved making overly hard games back then. They made a lot of very difficult games... these definitely included.

camineet

Banned
I loved both Wizards and Warriors and Iron Sword.

Although I never owned an NES as a kid in the 80s, I did trade some stuff for a used NES which I had for awhile in the early 90s. These were two of the games I played the most for the short time I had an NES.

I also liked the arcade game, The Legend of Makai

43414701.jpg

Now I've never even played 1 or 3, but I played the hell out of and beat Iron Sword. Wonderful music and an overall fond memory. I actually watched a playthrough on Archive.org a few months back :D

...I always loved titles that started you at one end of a map and you eventually got to the other ala Ghost n' Goblins series

cress2000

I spent the most time with the third one, and I kinda liked it. Eventually I was able to make it to the final boss without dying. After spending hours getting there, he'd knock out all my lives in less than five minutes. I could never beat him. :(

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Never played the 3rd one, but I have a small place in my heart reserved for Wizard and Warriors I and Ironsword... not the best NES games, nor I imagine they held up well (even at the time, they had slippery jumping controls and weird hit detection on the melee attack), but they were kinda fun. And hard as HELL.

TripOpt55

I beat the first and second ones. They're pretty good. I also have the third one, but never finished it. Not sure why. Couldn't beat something, but I don't recall what it was. I liked it too though the guild challenges were neat. Not sure how I beat games like this when I was younger. I mean if Ironsword is as hard as you guys say, I probably couldn't beat it now. I guess I just played it so much I got through it. Probably wouldn't have the patience to just keep trying and dying until I did beat it. I might have to play this just to see what it's like again, it's been a while.

djtiesto said:
Never played the 3rd one, but I have a small place in my heart reserved for Wizard and Warriors I and Ironsword... not the best NES games, nor I imagine they held up well (even at the time, they had slippery jumping controls and weird hit detection on the melee attack), but they were kinda fun. And hard as HELL.
Yeah, the controls really went downhill after the first one. The third had different controls for the three classes (compared to knights, thieves moved faster and jumped further while wizards moved slower but jumped higher), but it was never as butter-smooth as the first one was.

The third had so many good ideas to it that just weren't developed that well. There were treasure missions, changeable classes, hidden secrets and a huge interconnected map that required different abilities to explore, but lacked the level design or balancing that would have made it one of the greats. It was as though they were trying to ape what Metroid did and adding their spin to it, but didn't have Super Metroid to show them how to do it right.

The potential was there for greatness, but a few things would need to happen first, like rebalancing the 2nd Wizard (i.e. actually make him useful), re-introducing weapon/armour upgrades for each of the classes, re-doing enemy placement (there could still be "safe" areas where you can walk by unhindered as the right class, but have these areas be small and centralised) and re-doing the map so that there would be more exploration done.

Man, a post-Super-Metroid Wizards and Warriors could have been such an awesome SNES or DS game. I'd totally buy it day one (or even play a ROM hack if someone would care to make one).

Loved the first one. One of my top ten. The second one was awesome too, but the marathon boss battle at the end sucked. I only beat it recently with the help of a game genie like device.

MoxManiac

Yeah the first one was definitely apart of my childhood. I remember when i was 8 or so i use to fantasize about finding doorways in trees to explore in my backyard.

JonnyBrad

Fortress of Fear can fuck off with that stupid jump into the skull mouth that i could never do. My first game boy lies in pieces because of it.

str8-h4x

The music in this game is ill shit. It's the same shit most of the time unless it's got the "countdown" music playing, but it was awesome.

God, I was never ever a fan of these. I remember popping in the original from my friends NES collection because the cover was so awesome and then I got some horrible platformer that had me jumping on trees and being attacked by killer cobwebs. Just a terrible experience as a kid. At least you guys enjoyed them. :lol

Soule

W&W3 is probably in my top 3 favourite NES games, absolutely awesome game, the Wizard, Thief and Warrior classes were awesome and I loved the nature of upgrading and buying stuff. And again I cannot say enough good about the music, I remember pausing the game a lot back in the day just to hear the short jingle and chilling in random rooms just taking in the music hahaha this is probably the first game I ever did that, just sat and appreciated the music.

1 and 2 are good as well but W&W 3 is one of my all-time favourites :D <3

bengraven

Ironsword was the first game I ever paid for with my own money. Fond, fond, FOND memories of that.

WnW3 was the first game I ever played with "factions", was open world, and let me be a thief or wizard. In many, many ways was my very first RPG. :D

camineet said:

"Game Continue feature"... :lol

Soule

cress2000 said:
I spent the most time with the third one, and I kinda liked it. Eventually I was able to make it to the final boss without dying. After spending hours getting there, he'd knock out all my lives in less than five minutes. I could never beat him. :(
I remember watching my brother play as a kid and he got to Malkil we were all so tense and he died with half a bar of health left on the boss... never came anywhere near close again, he was all bitter about the game and stopped playing and the game always lost me, like how the fuck am I supposed to know to levitate all the way up in the cave to fight the dragon? Spent hours walking around aimlessly looking for something to do before I figured that out :\

But yeah I ended up youtubing the ending one day when I was feeling nostalgic and.... I think it would've been better if I always just imagined what could've been if I beat him haha.

lordmrw

I have a fondness for all 3 games on the NES, despite knowing they all have issues. Funny story about the first one: my oldest brother bought it when it came out, but when he got back with it, it was late and I was asleep. I woke up in the middle of the night and saw we had a new game and starting playing. My brothers woke up the following morning to see my getting ready to finish off malkil. Heh.

Ironsword I never owned myself. A friend of mine rented it, but I didn't get to play it much. Another guy in school had it, but couldn't get far, so he let me use it to help him out. I too couldn't beat the final boss with cheating. The trick is to lure the elementals out one by one so you don't get gangraped, but that shiz is hard.

Top Bottom