• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wizards and Warriors Appreciation Thread

The first two Wizard & Warriors games were amazing. I remember as a kid being initially disappointed with the game when I first got it. This was partially because the main name of the game was called "Ironsword" with only the title "Wizard & Warriors II" in smaller font. Somehow as a kid, I thought this made it less of a truly satisfying sequel. (Yes, I was dumb as a kid, weren't you?). But then I made it to Cloud World and my opinion of the game completely changed. Cloud world was awesome. And I nominate that it should be a new "go to" type of level for games looking for generic temple. "Cloud World" kicks generic templates like "Snow world," "Lava World" or "Water World"'s collective asses. So, next gen Cloud World: someone get on it.

Wizard & Warriors 3 I totally missed because I had already moved on to the TG16 by that time and was no longer playing NES games. When i finally did play it, it was years later on emulator and I never made it very far. It seemed very hard. This is probably because I didn't have the manual so I didn't really know what I was doing. I'm not even sure I made it past the first world. The OP's post about the "changing costumes" and the effects is the first time I really understood what that was all about, but it actually sounds like a pretty cool game mechanic.

Man, I would love Xbox Live re-releases of these. Really sucks that it will never happen.

newsguy

Just came by to say that I played the first one in my youth and I have very fond memories of it. And I also got the Gameboy version with my Gameboy, but I don't remember that one at all.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Does anyone have a youtube of the infamous/ridiculously hard jump in W&W1? I want to experience it again. :lol

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Just beat it again (only took ~2.5 hours). That jump is so much easier with a fast-forward option. :D It still holds up really well.

bengraven

IRONSWORD

Just had a nostalgia kick:

You run and jump right over the mountains and find the cave to the southeast, go up through the cave, get the egg, run across to the left then until you get to the eagle squawking above you for the egg. Then you're in the sky, bouncing on clouds until you find the wind elemental to the northeast and kill him. Then it's the forest! The frog! Then down below! The water elemental! The fire!

ARGH, I need a NES emu for my PSP! :lol

Johnas

Wizards and Warriors was one of my very favorite NES games. I had sort of an unofficial "system" with a friend of mine where one of us would own some games in a series, and the other person would own the other ones. So I never owned Ironsword, but spending the night at his place right after he got it, I got up in the middle of the night and made a ton of progress and finished it before he did. ;)

I own III, and I recently tried to play it again and pretty much hated it. I really don't remember much about it at all now, but I know for sure that I did finish it long ago. I found it harder than the first two games.

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Kuros' animations in the first one were so much better than the sequels.

Agreed, I also prefer his design in the first game to the other two.

Johnas said:
Wizards and Warriors was one of my very favorite NES games. I had sort of an unofficial "system" with a friend of mine where one of us would own some games in a series, and the other person would own the other ones. So I never owned Ironsword, but spending the night at his place right after he got it, I got up in the middle of the night and made a ton of progress and finished it before he did. ;)

I own III, and I recently tried to play it again and pretty much hated it. I really don't remember much about it at all now, but I know for sure that I did finish it long ago. I found it harder than the first two games.

Agreed, I also prefer his design in the first game to the other two.
I remember trying out WWI for the first time. I was shocked at just how much better the design and controls were than the other two.

Johnas

I remember trying out WWI for the first time. I was shocked at just how much better the design and controls were than the other two.

Yeah, 1 feels a bit "loose" but I really like it. I get in a pretty good groove with the jumping.

When I was trying to replay III recently, I was wondering, are you just supposed to keep buying keys and trying different doors in the city until you figure out where to go? I couldn't see a way to keep doing that without resetting the game a few times, I'd run out of money/keys before I tried all the doors. I really remember so little from playing it way back when.

I had a weird habit when playing the first game; I'd let the intro song loop completely (while it showed those "artistic" screenshots) and right after it finished, I'd hit start so that the melody at the end of that song would play twice in a row. As a kid, I always thought I was clever for doing that. /random

Johnas said:
Yeah, 1 feels a bit "loose" but I really like it. I get in a pretty good groove with the jumping.

When I was trying to replay III recently, I was wondering, are you just supposed to keep buying keys and trying different doors in the city until you figure out where to go? I couldn't see a way to keep doing that without resetting the game a few times, I'd run out of money/keys before I tried all the doors. I really remember so little from playing it way back when.

I had a weird habit when playing the first game; I'd let the intro song loop completely (while it showed those "artistic" screenshots) and right after it finished, I'd hit start so that the melody at the end of that song would play twice in a row. As a kid, I always thought I was clever for doing that. /random
Basically. The first part of the game was you collecting money, buying keys and figuring out where the bronze thief statue was as well as the 1st thieves' guild. Then you're supposed to go underground (you can sneak past the viking guy as a thief) and get the first wizard costume so you could get past the bees' nest blocking your path to the castle.

Also, don't forget that there are secret rooms with diamonds in them.

Johnas

Basically. The first part of the game was you collecting money, buying keys and figuring out where the bronze thief statue was as well as the 1st thieves' guild. Then you're supposed to go underground (you can sneak past the viking guy as a thief) and get the first wizard costume so you could get past the bees' nest blocking your path to the castle.

Also, don't forget that there are secret rooms with diamonds in them.

OK, the rest of that sounds really familiar now. I may give it another go next time I hook up the NES.

Top Bottom