• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wolf Children Ame and Yuki (Director: Mamoru Hosoda) |OT| Pixar Approved!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a quick correction to the OP - the Edinburgh screening is on the 21st October. I won't be able to go, as it's too late in the evening for me to get back home for work the next day D:

kamikaze

caught an afternoon show today...so good! others have gushed about it so don't think i need to add much more. go see it when it's available in your country! :)

time to hunt for merchandise to import...

Totakeke

Much better than I expected. Really great with generally good pacing and the girl's laughter was wayy too infectious for my theatre crowd. My non-anime watching friend was kinda bored at the beginning, but I think he liked the movie by the end.

The director really improved a lot since The Girl Who Leapt Through Time.

/XX/

Great news about the Pixar screening. I wonder what they thought of it. Hosoda building a bond with a big American studio like Pixar can only mean good things, even if it's just a creative exchange between peers.
Not many elaborate impressions 'per se', but I liked how it made Bobby Rubio to purchase SUMMER WARS immediately after:

Twitter / Bobby_Rubio: Just saw "The Wolf Children ... said:
Just saw "The Wolf Children and Yuki" and met Director, Mamoru Hosada! It was awesome! http://instagr.am/p/PLq8orraGG/
http://twitter.com/Bobby_Rubio/status/243223405623652353

Twitter / Bobby_Rubio: Chilling with a bottle of #Ramune ... said:
Chilling with a bottle of #Ramune , about to watch #SummerWars What??!!! http://instagr.am/p/PYR4MlLaC_/
http://twitter.com/Bobby_Rubio/status/244997909416914944

But...

Twitter / Bobby_Rubio: Summer Wars was aight. I liked ... said:
Summer Wars was aight. I liked The Wolf Children Ame and Yuki better. But there is some strong visuals in Summer Wars and great animation!
http://twitter.com/Bobby_Rubio/status/245039031153471488

So, there it is! That now usual opinion.

Also Grant Alexander, whose twitter account was already posted by hosannainexcelsis, gave some more impressions about it. As an interesting piece of complementary data about them; Bobby Rubio and Grant Alexander collaborated in Gurren-Lagann's thematic charity book Believe in Yourself, and were two of the hosts for the latest visit from GAiNAX members to Pixar Animation Studios in California, this past year:

CHASING ROCKETS: GAINAX at PIXAR
http://bobbyrubio.blogspot.com.es/2011/02/gainax-at-pixar.html

Grant Alexander: Gainax at Pixar
http://grantalexander.blogspot.com.es/2011/02/gainax-at-pixar.html

More information about that trip from Satsuma Potato's blog:

One Potato Two San Francisco with Company G Day 2
http://kurouzu.blog63.fc2.com/blog-entry-884.html

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
This was really good. I found Hosoda's last two films to be good, but overhyped (especially Summer Wars, which was a film of great parts but a narrative mess), but I have to admit he's the real deal.
The detail in the observation of daily life is wonderful, from the background figures in the city scenes to the way Hana observes her children playing.

Was pleasantly surprised to find that the music was by Takagi Masakatsu. His first score? I've thought for a while that his music is very cinematic.

Two things that bugged me.
Hosoda spends a lot of time developing the subplot of Hana's interactions with the neighbouring farmers, especially the old man, only for it to go nowhere. Granted, it doesn't really need to, and the material is lovely, but it's verging on wasted screentime, given some of the film's omissions.
Speaking of which, the lack of pay-off to the relationship between Ame and Yuki was a huge letdown. We watch the children play together, go through life's early steps together, Yuki sticking up for Ame at school, and then ultimately he leaves without saying goodbye. As I recall, their final scene together is the fight, which ends miserably. It feels very wrong to close out this aspect of the film in such a bitter way. Some hint of forgiveness and acceptance at the end would not only have added more emotional satisfaction to the piece, but also would have been more in keeping with the love for each other that the siblings held.

duckroll

This was really good. I found Hosoda's last two films to be good, but overhyped (especially Summer Wars, which was a film of great parts but a narrative mess), but I have to admit he's the real deal.
The detail in the observation of daily life is wonderful, from the background figures in the city scenes to the way Hana observes her children playing.

Was pleasantly surprised to find that the music was by Takagi Masakatsu. His first score? I've thought for a while that his music is very cinematic.

Two things that bugged me.
Hosoda spends a lot of time developing the subplot of Hana's interactions with the neighbouring farmers, especially the old man, only for it to go nowhere. Granted, it doesn't really need to, and the material is lovely, but it's verging on wasted screentime, given some of the film's omissions.
Speaking of which, the lack of pay-off to the relationship between Ame and Yuki was a huge letdown. We watch the children play together, go through life's early steps together, Yuki sticking up for Ame at school, and then ultimately he leaves without saying goodbye. As I recall, their final scene together is the fight, which ends miserably. It feels very wrong to close out this aspect of the film in such a bitter way. Some hint of forgiveness and acceptance at the end would not only have added more emotional satisfaction to the piece, but also would have been more in keeping with the love for each other that the siblings held.

Yeah I don't think Masakatsu generally does soundtracks. Hosoda was listening to his music while doing the storyboards, and he liked the music so much he felt he had to get the guy on board to do the actual music for the film.

Anyway, here's my take on those two points:

I really don't think all that development goes "nowhere" at all. It's extremely important to establish that Hana has managed to settle into the countryside community, and that she has other people to talk to and help her out when she needs to. Why? Because the film essentially ends with both her children moving on. She continues to stay behind on her own, so that development is essentially the difference between a happier or a much lonelier "ever after" for her as a character.

The other point is pretty interesting, and I hadn't really thought of it that way. It's true that their relationship never really fully recovered, but perhaps there is no way for it to really repair itself in a satisfying or realistic way. Once they had both reached a point where they were set on their paths in life, I think it would be hard to show any sort of compromise without making it feel particularly forced for a happier sort of conclusion. That's not to say they won't meet up again some day in the future and make up, but they're still rather young, and at this point the important thing for both of them was clearly to find their own way to stick by it to take that first step into independence.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
The score is really beautiful by the way. Great stuff.
I really don't think all that development goes "nowhere" at all. It's extremely important to establish that Hana has managed to settle into the countryside community, and that she has other people to talk to and help her out when she needs to. Why? Because the film essentially ends with both her children moving on. She continues to stay behind on her own, so that development is essentially the difference between a happier or a much lonelier "ever after" for her as a character.
Fair point. I don't know, I guess I'd just like to see maybe a glimpse of her interacting with the villagers at the end to tie it back in?
The other point is pretty interesting, and I hadn't really thought of it that way. It's true that their relationship never really fully recovered, but perhaps there is no way for it to really repair itself in a satisfying or realistic way. Once they had both reached a point where they were set on their paths in life, I think it would be hard to show any sort of compromise without making it feel particularly forced for a happier sort of conclusion. That's not to say they won't meet up again some day in the future and make up, but they're still rather young, and at this point the important thing for both of them was clearly to find their own way to stick by it to take that first step into independence.
It's one thing to talk about a happier sort of conclusion, but what we have is a downright miserable conclusion to that relationship.
There hadn't really been a hint at trouble in Ame and Yuki's relationship until that scene, and it's hard for me to believe that it would push them to a point where no forgiveness and understanding was possible. Brothers and sisters fight. Then they forgive each other and move on. Sometimes they have disagreements about the way the other chooses to live their life, but it comes from a sense of care, not spite. Even when they feel frustration about not being able to get through to one other, they go on loving each other. That's the reality of family life. Depicting it would also have been more dramatically interesting than what we got.
It's bizarre to me that Hosoda and Okudera missed this, because the film is otherwise great at capturing family dynamics.

abic

Banned
Film is debuting in Hawaii for the USA region. If anyone has news about when it comes to theatres here please let me know!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Film is debuting in Hawaii for the USA region. If anyone has news about when it comes to theatres here please let me know!
WHAT.

HAWAII IS TOO FAR.

Jintor

It's one thing to talk about a happier sort of conclusion, but what we have is a downright miserable conclusion to that relationship.
There hadn't really been a hint at trouble in Ame and Yuki's relationship until that scene, and it's hard for me to believe that it would push them to a point where no forgiveness and understanding was possible. Brothers and sisters fight. Then they forgive each other and move on. Sometimes they have disagreements about the way the other chooses to live their life, but it comes from a sense of care, not spite. Even when they feel frustration about not being able to get through to one other, they go on loving each other. That's the reality of family life. Depicting it would also have been more dramatically interesting than what we got.
It's bizarre to me that Hosoda and Okudera missed this, because the film is otherwise great at capturing family dynamics.

Saw it again in cinemas. Agreed.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Just came back from it - in a word excellent. This is the kind of film that reminds me why I watch anime in the first place. It has a strong emotional core to it, that I found really engaging and emotionally involving, in some ways reminded me a lot of Millenium Actress in terms of framing despite the drastically different subject manner.

Some of the montages throughout were truly awe-inspiring and beautiful to watch, the music was also appropriately excellent, and pleasantly surprised that Takagi Masakatsu was behind it.

Y'know despite some complaints I've been reading about the ending. I found it really strong personally, it's much more restrained compared to the Summer War's ending for example, in fact script-wise, I feel this is probably the tightest hosoda film yet, and lacked the small annoyances that annoyed me about tgwlt and summer wars.

But yeah, this film is really good evidence that Hosoda has truly matured as a film-maker. I'm really excited for what it has next in the coming years!

I'm seeing this Wednesday night because my friend and Lafiel are making me.

Perhaps I should watch his earlier work, but I really don't understand the hype behind this guy after TGWLTT and Summer Wars. He hasn't been around for 20+ years like any of the old guard, which is an apparent plus. This looks alright, I guess.

But, cute baby wolves!

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Perhaps I should watch his earlier work, but I really don't understand the hype behind this guy after TGWLTT and Summer Wars. He hasn't been around for 20+ years like any of the old guard, which is an apparent plus. This looks alright, I guess.
Pfft, but he's one of the main reasons your favourite anime series of all time was good.

And for the record, I think there's a very good chance you'd enjoy Wolf Children even if you didn't think much of his previous two movies.:p

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
My girlfriend liked it, but I wasnt impressed. There were some great bits in it, but not enough to win me over on the whole.

I could not stop thinking OMG furries!

Totakeke

Pfft, but he's one of the main reasons your favourite anime series of all time was good.

And for the record, I think there's a very good chance you'd enjoy Wolf Children even if you didn't think much of his previous two movies.:p

I didn't think much of TGWLTT, and then after I watched this movie I went back to watch Summer Wars, thought even less of it than the other two. Wolf Children is far superior than his previous works. The plot is pretty barebones, but the movie is just a joy to watch. I wasn't really fond of the characters being furries, which probably matters less if you've never watched as much anime, but the kids are adorable.

Thinking about it, some of the best parts of this movie is so alike Yotsubato, which is awesome. This movie could easily be a contender for the best movie I will see this year.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I should have gone to see it this weekend but we figured to just leave it and grab the home release later.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
People are desperate to hail some sort of New Master now that Miyazaki and Takahata are winding down. After watching Arrietty and From Up on Poppy Hill, I have to say that Hosoda seems to fit the bill more than anyone from Ghibli.

The good news is that Wolf Children Ame and Yuki doesn't sabotage itself two thirds of the way through like The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, and isn't a giant clusterfuck like Summer Wars.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Watch Digimon movie 1

duckroll

People are desperate to hail some sort of New Master now that Miyazaki and Takahata are winding down. After watching Arrietty and From Up on Poppy Hill, I have to say that Hosoda seems to fit the bill more than anyone from Ghibli.

I don't think this is particularly true though. There doesn't need to be a "new master" or a "replacement for Ghibli" or anything like that. The reason why Hosoda is more notable is because like Kon, his works have international appeal and don't fit into a the extreme Japanese flavor niche which the majority of anime do. A Japanese animation filmmaker who makes original works which are critically acclaimed worldwide is uncommon, and so it makes each of his new projects more exciting.

Branduil

My Review

iiokMaMQ0cLhB.jpg
iegDtLMFfAP3S.jpg

ibdtRgC3gzL0o6.jpg
ifAoHEoZeeK6o.jpg

Watching this film feels like watching an old master paint in front of your eyes. Whether or not it's his best film, Mamoru Hosoda has never been more confident in his storytelling abilities; every aspect is tuned to his precise calculations. Yet, even as obviously constructed as the story is, it never feels forced or unbelievable. It was a smart decision to not
try and explain the existence of wolf-men in any real way
. The fantastical element ends up complementing the emotional verisimilitude quite well; scenes such as
Ame and Yuki's big fight
work so well because we understand their transformations as a visual metaphor for their familial angst.

This is also a story that could only be done in traditional animation; neither live-action nor CGI can reliably and believably allow for the kind of subtle transformations needed in the film. It just wouldn't work anywhere near as well. This is easily Hosoda's most ambitious film visually, and it shows in every frame. Some of the backgrounds are jaw-dropping, and the use of CGI to enhance the painted vegetation allows for some stunning effects. Really the only thing you could complain about is CG cars and some CG extras near the beginning.

Going back to the emotional aspect, I think the reason it works so well is that we get to see and vicariously experience every emotion in the characters' lives, and not just the big moments. That's a hard thing to do in a two-hour movie that covers such a broad expanse of time, but Hosoda handles it deftly through some of the best and most creative uses of montage I've seen in anime. I mean, it's only twenty minutes in the film when
Wolf man(I just realized he never has a name) dies
, not even a full anime episode, and it's already impactful due to the great use of montage prior, as well as the direction in the scene itself(the way the sound of the rain cuts when she drops her umbrella, the way
they casually throw his body in the garbage truck while Hana loses it, baby in tow, and you realize she must look crazy to everyone around her and no one will be able to share her grief; I'm tearing up just writing this
). I don't think I need to mention the kindergarten montage and its brilliant framing, and how much it communicates in just a few images; nor the exultation in the snow, the wordless joy of nature and family. And the climactic scene where Yuki
reveals her true nature through the curtains
may be the best thing Hosoda has storyboarded.

10/10

Is this out in the US yet? I've been dying to see it.
It premiers next week at the NYC Children's Film Festival! Hosada himself will be there!

I am SO jealous because I was just in NYC and should have scheduled my trip for this weekend instead. My only solace is that I have a few friends going, and they'll try to ask him about superflat during the Q&A.

Moonlight

Banned
However I style myself, I'm not an especially poetic person when it comes to communicating the simple joy of watching a work like this, and however I might appreciate Hosoda's technical mastery in animation and in direction he's put on for display here, I'm at a loss to find the right words to explain exactly why and how.

I can't confess to have seen all, or even most of Hosoda's works - while I count The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and, to an extent, Summer Wars as great films, I've never truly sought him out - until now. And I am very glad I did. Out of the three works now of his that I've seen, this movie included, Wolf Children stands out as his greatest by far.

The movie hinges on a fairly simple premise - a woman falls in love with a wolf-man, and finds herself being forced to raise their two children by herself. While a touch of the fantastical finds itself permeating its' concept, the core of this movie deals in some strikingly honest, grounded, very real themes and joys of growing up, family, motherhood, childhood, and acceptance.

I find myself continually impressed, if not astounded by Hosoda's ability to communicate so much to his audience with so little dialogue. We (rightfully) lauded the talents of Pixar's animators and directors in their ability, such as it was in the opening acts of WALL-E and Up, to tell a story as they did with as few words as possible, and I see no reason why we should not recognize how deftly Hosoda manages to do this throughout the entire film - as I look back on the film, I really can't understate the brilliance of its' many montages, be it Hana and the wolf father's life together, watching a wordless celebration of family in the snow or as it follows the children's journey through elementary school, it's impressive how much the audience understands purely from its' imagery, its' music, and its' framing.

If I had something to dwell over in regards to production, it might be the use of CG to represent passerbys in the crowd near the beginning of the movie, but given how absolutely magnificent this movie is to watch - and how well that Hosoda would proceed to use CG techniques to accentuate the beauty of the many, many flowers in this movie, I can't think of it as anything but a minor quibble. I imagine the only reason it stuck out to me, even, was simply how gorgeous so many scenes were to behold in the film. I've seen people criticize Hosoda's character designs before, and I absolutely can't see why, especially in motion - they animate incredibly well, and their level of expression is quite extraordinary. There's so many scenes in this movie that choose to leave all that needs to be said in body language and in expressions, and it works wonderfully. To use a particular example, as the movie reaches its' close,
there's so much about the goodbye between Ame and Hana that's left entirely to their faces, and as he howls, and music swells the way Hana's face transforms from grief to joy was stunning
. And excuse me while I pluck another example from near the film's end (to be fair, it's quite an emotional crescendo),
the scene where Yuki reveals her true identity to Souhei, the way it used the whipping curtains and that expression of sheer, exultant joy at acceptance of her other side could not be more perfect

It's worth mentioning how absolutely beautiful the music is. As I've mentioned, there's many segments of Wolf Children where it communicates almost solely through its' visuals and animation, and it would not have worked nearly as well without Masakatsu's absolutely stunning score to elevate those segments.

Wolf Children is a movie that ends as it began - with much unsaid, but little that needed to be. It's beautiful, emotional, and wonderfully paced, animated, directed, and acted. It uses elements of the fantastic to better bring out some grounded beauty, and it's absolutely the best animated feature - in either side of the hemisphere - I've seen in the past few years. Rarely have movies affected me in the way this did.

Perhaps the most simplest way that I could ever express how much I loved this film was that despite its' nearly two hour runtime, it didn't even feel half that. Whenever this film finally reaches North American shores, it will not be soon enough.

OceanBlue

It was an amazing, engrossing experience. To be honest, I'm not sure I can come up with any sort of review or critique. It was just great. I was definitely not disappointed.

It was really interesting that I was absorbed throughout the whole show. I feel like I understand slightly what Duckroll meant when he posted, "Instead of relying on the traditional aspects of dramatic conclusions to a typical 3 act structure, the movie never quite telegraphs how far it is into the story, or when the narrative is coming to an end." I'm just in awe at how well-strung together everything is in the show is. As multiple people have highlighted, the montages definitely do a wonderful job of stitching every moment in the show together. The movie had wonderful pacing as well.

I'm so attached to everyone in this movie, especially Hana ;_;. Lol, I was tearing up at the end. I wasn't sobbing, which I found surprising, but I don't think this movie aimed for that. I can't emphasize enough that this was an amazing movie.

i-Lo

Going to watch it this weekend. I just hope it will not be as painful to my adam's apple as either millennium actress or grave of the fireflies.

Qvoth

anybody else things the 2 people at the beginning scene of the show? the flowerbed scene are
ame and yuki instead of hana and her husband? i mean the narration did start with yuki
it just bothers me thinking those 2 might never meet ame again ; ;

I don't really have a lot to contribute here; there are some excellent reviews upthread. I really appreciated some of the themes of this film - it is difficult to understand what you want to do with your life; it is difficult to risk rejection; it is difficult to let go and let someone be who they need to be.

One scene in particular
when Ame and Yuki are leaping down the hill in the snow
was incredibly effictive on me, I don't think I've seen anything that ebullient since
the ending of Mind Game

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
What a great movie. Great characters also loved the man vs. nature feel, but without being a man vs nature story. Don't need to talk about the visuals, because there really isn't a negative. It's an absolutely beautiful film.

I had no clue that there were time skips, only seeing a few of the trailers. It did them very well. Ending was predictable, but man if it didn't ooze charm the whole way through.

Would say the most effective part of the story was the stuff that went untold...

Yuki's reaction to Ame being gone, much background on the wolf-men, do they ever see Ame again

... at the same time though, these unanswered questions don't feel carelessly left out, or needed to make this film as good as it was.

anybody else things the 2 people at the beginning scene of the show? the flowerbed scene are
ame and yuki instead of hana and her husband? i mean the narration did start with yuki
it just bothers me thinking those 2 might never meet ame again ; ;

That's a neat interpretation.

Articalys

Fans Aim to Save Home Seen in Mamoru Hosoda's Wolf Children
Fans of Mamoru Hosoda's Wolf Children film are signing up to save an old home in Kamiichi, Toyoma that is falling into disrepair. The house inspired the home of the film's heroine Hana and her children.

The house is now owned by elderly couple Yoriko Yamazaki, 65, and her 71-year-old husband, Masami. The house was routinely used as a rest stop for climbers, but the couple found that maintaining the home as they aged was becoming more difficult.

Currently the house requires 200,000 to 300,000 yen (about US$2,100-US$3,200) just to remove the snow off the roof each year. However, the home garnered the attention of fans after Hosoda's film premiered, and thousands have made the pilgrimage to visit "Okami kodomo no Hana no ie" (Hana's house from Wolf Children).

One particular visitor, Hidenori Kawabata, took it upon himself to organize a fan effort to preserve the home. 217 people throughout Japan have registered thus far, and interested supporters can add themselves to the list at the house's official website.

TEJ

So uh, when is this being released in English on blu ray? Funimations site isn't very helpful......

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Thanks for Ultimadrago for linking to this thread.

The movie was really great. It made me tear up.

Blader

Saw it a little while ago, I thought it was really fantastic. And unlike a lot of anime movies that looks beautiful but fall flat on the story, this was really written well, especially the mother's story. Excellent stuff. Hosoda continues to be the best working director in the anime industry.

Gloam

Heads up for any Irish readers, Wolf Children is showing in The Lighthouse Cinema, Dublin as part of the fifth Japanese Film Festival on Friday, 12th April at 20:30.

I caught a preview of the film a little while ago and found it to be very enjoyable. I liked the slice-of-life stuff a great deal, reminded me of Totoro.

Akira

Just saw this. As someone who couldn't get past 15 minutes into The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, I wasn't really expecting anything groundbreaking. This is up there with some of Studio Ghibli's best and is among the finest examples of animated films ever. Whereas Ghibli goes for a more classic, traditional feeling, Wolf Children is a contemporary film through and through. I hope we see Hosoda becoming a new prolific director to look forward to like Miyazaki, but hopefully he brings the quality of Wolf Children in his future work.

There were just so many great moments in the film. All of the characters were endearing and the film had a great pace. I do think the first half was a bit better than the second half, but it's still a consistent film. The animation was well done although there were some obvious instances of reused animation. I'm happy that the CGI was not distracting at all, in fact I think they improved the visuals of the movie. I really loved the music as well, particularly in some of the montage. It was welcome for me since a lot of Japanese movies are sometimes too minimalist in their scores. The only scene that I felt taken out of the film was
the fight scene between Yuki and Ame. The voice actor's RARRR ROAR GRRR sounded so off to me that the scene didn't have the same emotional impact it should have had. Using voice actor voices was cute when they were babies/puppies, but the fight would've been stronger if Ame and Yuki had more wolf-sounding snarls as young adults.

Little Yuki and Ame were the cutest things ever! Why did Yuki and Ame have to grow up? :(

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
So about the story

Why was Ame such a douche? Don't wolves usually stay in a pack? lol

Was he even going up there to help the fox? Seemed like he was just like "He broke his leg, he's going to die soon", he didn't seem like he was going up there for the express purpose of helping him live, but instead was like I need to take charge now. He could have even brought the fox to his mothers.

What is his mother going to do after the neighbors notice her boy is gone? She can only say he's in the woods playing so many times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom