• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wolf Children Ame and Yuki (Director: Mamoru Hosoda) |OT| Pixar Approved!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZoddGutts

Yeah Ame plot bothered me. I know he had difficulty adjusting to school but him going to the forest to look after it was kinda hard to accept. It's not like the animals living in the forest needed him nor was it implied, so what's the point? So he can live free or some dumb reasoning like that.

duckroll

We figured this out some time ago. The truth is that all male characters in Hosoda movies are just fucking dumb. Just think about it, it's true! :)

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Yeah Ame plot bothered me. I know he had difficulty adjusting to school but him going to the forest to look after it was kinda hard to accept. It's not like the animals living in the forest needed him nor was it implied, so what's the point? So he can live free or some dumb reasoning like that.

The film made it pretty clear that he changed after hunting for the first time, and almost drowning. Where Yuki got a taste of human life after going to school and wanted to be in that world, and Ame got a taste of the wild life and wanted to be part of the that world. It wasn't so much that he had trouble adjusting to school, it's that he never felt like that was where he belonged.

Necrovex

Cross posting from impressions of this film from Anime-Gaf:

Wolf Children: Ame and Yuki.

After hearing about all the hype in Anime-Gaf about this film, I have been interested in it for a long while. I loved the director's past film, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, but I wasn't the biggest fan of Summer Wars. So, I wasn't sure if I would love the film or find it simply decent (and overrated).

Well, I certainly didn't expect Wolf Children to surpass my love for The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, but holy hell, it did. Everything about this film was simply top-notch, and in a way, mystifying. The characters were all well-written, and I found every character (barring the super minor characters) interesting, and there wasn't a moment in the film where I was "bored."

Now, I am going to touch upon on major plot spoilers. So, to be safe, I'm just going to spoiler tag everything until the very end:
I was a bigger fan of Yuki's character and her story arc. I didn't expect Yuki and Ame to switch roles. But I'm glad they did. Yuki's story arc and her struggle in school was really nice to watch. I loved her development, and her part in the third act.

What I really loved is the ending scene involving Ame and Hana. I've been studying Japanese, so I found it really neat to connect his name, which means rain in Japanese, and the whole rain sequence. That whole ending bit as he runs away to become an adult, and the moment between Hana and her decease husband made me almost cry.

I do have one question: how did Hana's husband die? When I was watching the film, I was talking to a friend, and I didn't really see how that entire scene played out.

When the voting thread opens up for this year, Wolf Children will probably reach my number one spot. This film was magnificent. I loved everything about it. A true masterpiece.

Bombless

I do have one question: how did Hana's husband die? When I was watching the film, I was talking to a friend, and I didn't really see how that entire scene played out.

They find him in a canal and I think I remember him either having feathers or a pheasant in his mouth. He died hunting. At least that's how I understood it.

Necrovex

They find him in a canal and I think I remember him either having feathers or a pheasant in his mouth. He died hunting. At least that's how I understood it.

All right, I wasn't sure if the film explained how he exactly died during his hunt. I gathered he died during a hunt. I appreciate the answer!

Fireblend

Banned
So after finding this thread a couple of weeks ago I thought this was a movie that both my gf and I could enjoy and finally today we watched it. Boy did I get that right, we both really loved it and were fighting back the tears by the end :lol

It was funny because we also watched Monsters University today, and we thought Ame and Yuki was clearly the superior experience (I get they were going for two different things, but I definitely got my heartstrings tugged at here like I usually would expect from a Pixar movie, so I couldn't avoid comparing them). I loved the setting, the characters (although we never did get an explanation for why that old man was grumpy as hell. I thought he'd reveal he was a wolf himself or something. Guess he was just kinda weird.), the kids were ridiculously adorable, and the visuals were outstanding.

I also particularly liked the cleverness and emotion of some scenes - the way the movie illustrates the passage of time while moving through the school's corridor for example was pretty clever. The way the curtain was used during the end of Yuki's plot was also good, and I liked how the movie wasn't particularly afraid of letting scenes play out without much dialogue.

It did seem to me like the movie took too long at the beginning (it definitely seemed much longer than 2 hours), but the second half got rid of most of the pacing issues. Anyway, after the slight disappointment that was Summer Wars for me, Hosuda's more than won me back.

Maybe I keep coming back to the Pixar comparison because I also watched MU today, but this definitely reminded me of how all good Pixar movies, while fantasy or sci-fi or whatever-themed, are also about humans and their struggles and this one definitely nailed that balance as well.

Thanks GAF, great recommendation.

Also am chiming in for a huge thanks to you GAFers in recommending this. Best animation I've seen in a long time and best film I've seen this year by far.

I cried on a couple scenes from pure emotion welling up. What a fantastic film!

duckroll

I'm glad more people are watching this film. It's really special, and I hope it gets submitted to the Academy Awards for consideration at least. I'm not holding my breath, but it would be nice to see Hosoda recognized by a wider audience outside of Japan. :)

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I'm glad more people are watching this film. It's really special, and I hope it gets submitted to the Academy Awards for consideration at least. I'm not holding my breath, but it would be nice to see Hosoda recognized by a wider audience outside of Japan. :)

It would be nice if it got a nod. Wouldn't it have had to have been submitted for last years awards? Wasn't its first US showing last year?

Firemind

I actually saw it in a store a week ago. I was ecstatic, but then I saw the Kaze logo and flipped out. Godfuckingdamnit I don't want to give these people my money. :(

I went and got Sword of the Stranger instead because fuck Kaze.

zeroshiki

If its a legit license, you should feel bad for not giving money to Mamoru Hosoda.

I don't know if Wolf Children can get an Academy Award but I hope it gets nominated at the very least. Its one of the very best animated movies out there and definitely Hosoda's best.

Firemind

They just can't translate worth shit. Their products only provide french/dutch and since I'm not proficient in French and Kaze is a french company...

I should look it up on amazon.uk.

sonicmj1

It would be nice if it got a nod. Wouldn't it have had to have been submitted for last years awards? Wasn't its first US showing last year?

Its first US showing was this March at the New York Children's Film Festival.

It'd be criminal if it didn't get nominated.

zeroshiki

Its first US showing was this March at the New York Children's Film Festival.

It'd be criminal if it didn't get nominated.

Funimation doesn't have the clout to get it to win over whatever Pixar put out this year but I'm hoping for a nomination at least.

zeroshiki

GKids, not FUNimation. FUNimation only has the home video distribution rights.

Ok, them too. Reading wiki, GKids seems like its a small company. While not the be all end all, not having Disney or even DreamWorks backing will make it harder for Wolf Children to be noticed.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
Wasn't impressed by this movie. Some of the scenes were not very convincing (yah I know its a movie about wolf people, but still).

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Why is it Pixar approved?

I also I feel bad about spoiling the movie awhile ago for some people. I figured you don't enter a LTTP for a movie, but I was wrong because people could be interested in what the title is or a review for it. I had a lapse of judgement.

Short answer is it hasn't been released on home video in any form in English. There have been sporadic showings at events and Funimation has said that they plan on releasing this in NA in 2013.

He can import then Hong Kong version with English subs.

Just watched this. Phenomenal. Nothing else to say besides that. Easily my favorite film of the year.

ramyeon

Just finished watching this for the first time.

It's amazing, I don't even know what to say. I was really blown away. I have no complaints or anything I can fault the movie for. It was just really, really good. It's a shame that this isn't getting as much hype abroad as most Ghibli stuff abroad as in my opinion this is just as good and even better in a few cases.

Fantastic.

Just saw this today. I don't know how many of you that have seen it have children, but it really puts a different perspective on it. My wife was a mess at the end, and I wasn't much better. Fantastic movie.

Bombless

Just wanted to point out that this figure is in the works. Release date is still unknown but it was shown at the WonFest a few weeks ago.

I will get this for my mother, we went to see it together and she loved it very much.

i watched this movie at otakon, i cried like a baby the animation and the voice work made me so happy. This film stand on a mountain on it's own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom