• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wolfenstein games in hindsight, what are the consensus around these games?

Which one is the superior iteration of the new Wolfenstein games?

• Wolfenstein: The New Order (2014).

Votes: 122 66.7%
  • Wolfenstein: The Old Blood (2015).

Votes: 14 7.7%
  • Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus (2017).

Votes: 18 9.8%
  • I don't like any of them.

Votes: 16 8.7%
  • I have never played any of them.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • I actually liked Youngblood.

Votes: 2 1.1%

• Total voters

johntown

Banned
1. The New Order
2. The Old Blood
3. The New Colossus

I never even bothered with Youngblood. I could tell just by looking at it that it was a failure. Sadly as others have said the games have been going downhill. The Old Blood might have got the #1 spot if it was longer.

Ingwerorang

Neo Member
Played New Order years after the Hype and was disappointed. Don't know if i should touch the other games. Wolfenstein from 2009 is pretty great though.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
New Order ---> Colossus (good but got weirdly woke and political) ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------> Youngblood.

Colossus took a hit in the level design department, big-time. But overall, it was still a good game.

Gameplay is great in NO and Colossus, they're games that are worth playing if you're a single-player shooter fan. Youngblood is a mistake, avoid at all costs.

Last edited:

Bridges

I played all of them except for Old Blood. I really enjoy them (Youngblood is decent in co-op but otherwise entirely forgettable), but I find the gameplay to not be very much fun in any entry, and it gets progressively less so as the series goes on.

In New Colossus I realized I was better off switching to easy just to see the story and I don't regret that. If a third comes out I will probably do the same. Really interesting story though, very memorable cutscenes and characters

I really enjoyed New Order, playing Run & Gun on PC is genuinely some of the most fun I've had alongside Doom 2016, I couldn't get into Doom Eternal. New Colossus I definitely noticed it having some problems, mainly some graphical bugs I had where the skyboxes didn't load in one section of the game when it originally launched on PC as well as an invincible enemy that I encountered near the end of the game. I had to restart the entire level over just to fix the issue, I haven't played Old Blood but I haven't really heard much about it either. I'm definitely probably never going to touch Youngblood though, it just looks awful.

New Order - Fantastic from start to finish

Old Blood - Decent expansion. It's just more of the great gameplay from the 1st but without the appeal of the story.

New Collossus - Good gunplay. Gameplay itself was trash thanks to the wierd difficulty spikes, poor hit detection and appaling level design. I kept going because the story was really good until they took a complete dump on that too in the second half and just dropped it.

Young Blood - Lol

Last edited:

OrtizTwelve

Often great games and good long running franchise. Really really good gameplay and sounds too. I haven't played Youngblood so can't speak on that one.

Saber

Gold Member
I'm not particulary fan of Wolfenstein. The first one from DOS I beat, but didn't clicked me like Doom.
The subsequent ones didn't interested me. The only one got my attention was Wolfenstein for xbox360/Ps3, which isn't particulary impressive but it has a kind of charm.

T

The New Guy

Unconfirmed Member
I enjoyed them for the most part. I thought Youngblood was really disappointing though, sort of erased that game from my memory until now. The New Order is probably one of my favourite FPS games I've played through, I really had a fun time with it.

New Order was great. New Colossus is shit. The level design is terrible and they have you replay them in cookie cutter BS "side quests" that are not fun at all.

Dazraell

I really enjoyed BJ's story through The New Order, The Old Blood and The New Colossus. That said, Wolf 2 wasn't as balanced, unique and cohesive experience as The New Order was. It's level design felt really off and a game itself wasn't as fun and varied to play. Didn't liked Youngblood at all.

One of the cringest stories and voice acting jobs in video games history and I've played my fair share of cringy shit.

Good games (TNO and TOB) the rest is shit.

DrCheese

Wolfenstein II I started getting a bit bored with Blazkowicz's weird internal monologue being OH SO SERIOUS/Deep all the time, but overall I enjoyed the first two games.

I downloaded Young Blood on Gamepass yesterday & just couldn't last longer than 30 minutes. Just... how did they screw up so badly?

uncleslappy

nethack is my favorite dark souls clone
Totally agree on the combat, but the standout for me in the reboot games is the characters. Blazkowitz was a very, very cool main character that had good motivations and believable storyline (despite all the sci-fi silliness). The voice actor and script were all top notch and honestly that’s what kept me hooked on the game.

A good way to put it would be "wasted potential". TNO was amazing but the sequel was more concerned with making an incomplete statement rather than doing something good. TNC was a good 7/10 but you can tell it had more potential than that.

Warablo

Liked the first one, haven't heard good things about the others. Played a little bit of the Old Blood.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
The New Order (somewhat) preserved my favorite aspects of original Wolfenstein 3D and Return to Castle Wolfenstein: secret doors, side paths, and tons of little caches hidden everywhere. There were still a lot of linear parts, but it could be forgiven since at least it was a new Wolfenstein title. I turned off Old Blood in the opening forced-stealth sequence and never returned after reading online there were other stealth sequences. Wolfenstein II didn't really catch my eye. Too zany and story-driven.

phant0m

TNO was/is amazing. New Colossus is great but not quite as good. Everything else is forgettable.

BJ's inner monologues are my favorite part of the series.

Tschumi

I haven't played these games, but i really like the visual style and setting, so i have a feeling I'm going to play them sooner or later. For some reason i feel most attracted to New Colossus, maybe because i just wanna see the visuals in their best/latest graphical iteration

I like their atmosphere, storytelling and attitude. I don't think the gameplay segment was quite as strong as the rest, it was just an average shooter with attitude for me. NuDoom games had a far more convincing gameplay loop. But if a new one comes out for next-gen consoles, I'm playing it for sure since it'll be on Game Pass.

TNO was pretty cool for its time, TOB was alright, TNC was somewhere in between. Probably didn't help that I didn't have a PC good enough for the new engine. But regardless the games need to reorient themselves to Doom 2016 and Eternal's methodology. Looking back, they're stuck behind by flaws that have already been laid out in this thread, but I can summarize as manual ammo and health pickups not being conducive to run and gun high speed play.

Playing Doom helped me see the light. I hope Machine Games has too (TNC was way too close to 2016 for the gameplay to have changed for the better because of it, and Youngblood is some weird experiment I don't expect the best from).

Kerotan

The first 2 were great. Wolfenstein 2 was better then both of them up until about half way. Then it lost it's way a little bit.

Young blood was shite.

FeldMonster

I didn't like them. Far inferior to Return to Castle Wolfenstein. The only two good things about the new series are the first mission in New Order and final mission in Old Blood. Everything else is junk.

edit: thanks for the likes, guys. I didn't expect others to have the same opinion as me since the games are so beloved.
TNO was fantastic, in spite of the first chapter that was pure trash.
???

Having never played any modern Wolfenstein games, apparently there is something quite contentious about the beginning of The New Order.

I gave New Order an 81 for review score. I did not feel compelled to play the second, although it's always possible I own the second.

Give me old RTCW PC.

Last edited:

HE1NZ

Banned
New Order feels like a Terry Gilliam movie. It's pretty crazy, but compelling.

They lost it in the sequel.

TomoItagaki

Neo Member
1. The New Order
2. The Old Blood
3. The New Colossus

I never even bothered with Youngblood. I could tell just by looking at it that it was a failure. Sadly as others have said the games have been going downhill. The Old Blood might have got the #1 spot if it was longer.

That sounds about right.

Last edited:

aries_71

???

Having never played any modern Wolfenstein games, apparently there is something quite contentious about the beginning of The New Order.

The jump in quality and tone between the first TNO mission and the rest of the game is huge. The first mission is basically a Call of Duty clone with very bad models, animations and graphics, basically on rails, and a poor introduction to the game.

j0hnnix

Gold Member
It seems I'm in the same boat as many. I loved New Order and Old Blood.

I despised the stealth mission in 2, in this type of game. I want to run and gun blow shit up.

Mokus

Inferior to the Return to Castle Wolfenstein. I played only The New Order, but I didn't liked it at all.

This game Mark's as one of those series that started off so well its first game, The New Order, and then just nose dived into a pile of dung.

They really wasted whatever they built up in TNO and squandered it with the following games.

It's a shame, really. The reboot really did help bring the franchise into the modern era.

Not sure if they can bounce back the abysmal story in the last game.

TexMex

I'll always have a soft spot for the original and I really enjoyed Return to Castle Wolfenstein on the original Xbox. But the new ones are pretty lame, and aren't nearly as shocking as they'd like to be.

I only played through TNO once back at release so my impressions are a bit hazy:
  • Varied gameplay sequences were paced quite well.
  • That knife to the jugular moment is extremely cathartic when taken into context, personally it's the moment that stuck with me the most throughout that game.
  • Dealing death via dual wielded monstrous shotguns, while sprinting & sliding is a power trip so ridiculous it should be illegal. So it's a shame that...
  • The sound design/mixing is horrible. It's as though the Starbreeze champs responsible for sound stayed behind to work on Syndicate, cause that game wipes the floor with TNO when it comes to audio.
  • Mashing a button to pickup ammo was not fun. Now that I remember it I'm wondering what the design decision behind that was.

Wiktor

I loved Old Blood and New Order. Stealth worked nice, even if was just nice bonus, the combat was punchy and satisfying, the world fascinating and I loved how ambitious the story got (especially New Order) while retaining very pulp-like style.
New Colossus was colossal (sic!) dissapoitment to me. The campaign was mostly devoid of interesting encounters and locations, storyline that threw away many belowed character while assuming I would care about replacement. It still was a nice game, but it honestly felt like half of game. It ended up when it startedd to ramp up to something good.

aries_71

What took by surprise in the TNO was the quality of the dialogues and cutscenes. Some of the stuff was deeply philosophical, and I sincerely wasn't expecting it in a game about killing super-nazis... the contrast was huge, one moment you were knifing a robot dog with swastikas, the other you were pondering about the meaning of life and reality. Amazing stuff.

The rest were more of the same, and didn't surprise me as much, though stuff on the New Colossus was amazing (the Hitler scene is top-notch). I don't understand Neogaf hatred toward Youngblood, I only played the first couple of missions and was pleased.

Wiktor

What took by surprise in the TNO was the quality of the dialogues and cutscenes. Some of the stuff was deeply philosophical, and I sincerely wasn't expecting it in a game about killing super-nazis... the contrast was huge, one moment you were knifing a robot dog with swastikas, the other you were pondering about the meaning of life and reality. Amazing stuff.

The rest were more of the same, and didn't surprise me as much, though stuff on the New Colossus was amazing (the Hitler scene is top-notch). I don't understand Neogaf hatred toward Youngblood, I only played the first couple of missions and was pleased.
Youngblood suffers from more RPG-like combat and weak storyline. But it's worth playing. It has some of the best, if not the best, level design in that series. It's immiedietly obvious how much Arkane helped with the development.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I am honestly shocked the old blood is not getting more votes... did people just skip this? Its the only way any of this makes sense... the damn thing is an adenine fueled joy ride contained in a tiny and inexpensive package. Yes its not long, but it has everything you love about the new order and keeps the fantastic gunplay.

The fact more people prefer the new colossus over it suggests to me people simply haven't played it... that's the only way that game has any votes.

You should of added Youngbloods to the pole however, just to make sure there is an empty bar, its the only fair way to do a poll.

Last edited:

Ein Bear

New Colossus is probably my biggest disappointment of the generation.

New Order and Old Blood were a little rough around the edges, but were fun, tigh shooters with great mechanics, which I hoped would be polished into a perfect sequel.

New Colossus is just... off. The feedback from shooting, taking damage, etc is practically non-existant. Half the time I died I'd not even realised I was being shot at. The stealth system didn't seem to work at all, and they ruined the fun levelling up/perk system from the first game.

It's a real shame, as the game looked visually great, and the story was a lot of fun. But it's the only game I think I've ever played where I stuck the difficulty on the easiest setting and just blasted through it to get the gameplay out of the way. Even on normal the game is just miserably difficult.

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

All downhill after the first and dlc. the sequel does have some fun points, but stealth shit in a game like this is an awful idea. Youngblood was widely panned so don’t know who they even made that for.

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
I realized I only was in the 4th chapter on New Order, so I started back up on that over the weekend. Really good!

Electret

TNO was a masterpiece.
TNC was a sad husk of a follow-up that did nearly everything worse than TNO.

I'm not sure if TNO was lightning in a bottle or if MachineGames is in decline. Either way they've lost my trust and have fallen to "middling" developer status.

100%'d The New Order
100%'d The Old Blood (Enjoyed it more than TNO)
Never finished The New Colossus
Never even touched Youngblood

Barakov

Gold Member
The New Order and The Old Blood were
B4YYOIP.jpg

The New Colossus and Youngblood were
cO4h66V.jpg

Top Bottom