• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 |OT| Diplomacy has failed

Regiruler

Started playing this again recently and am loving it more than ever. Unfortunately, I suck at drawing
Unite Bomb

I just use a horseshoe-like shape.

Really, just draw unite hand and have a line going out at the end.

EDIT: I appreciate how much support youtuber Ninjasyao has given the game. It was through his/her videos that I was able to finish the hero hearts as well as finding all of the secret missions that were giving me a hard time locating.

Well, Amazon finally got more Wonderful 101 back in stock, and my order shipped ($25 total). I had a pretty good time in the demo (after getting used to it), so I hope I enjoy the full game!

Entered the thread to post this. Well played.

Even if you've played the game, it's well worth watching that video. Matthew does a very good job at looking in-depth at the gameplay mechanics and analysing them.

I've watched most of his videos and in all of them he presents a very level headed and objective approach to each game. Something I don't think I've ever seen in written and published game reviews.

I should probably avoid that video if I haven't played the game yet, right?

---

Also...

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

delayemybx.jpg

My Wonderful 101 is delayed. :(

Damn snow!

D-e-f-

Banned
Great analysis. He's got a good understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of the game. If all reviewers had to complete 4 playthroughs minimum, there probably would have been way less criticism of the game.

Every reviewer reading this would probably throw the "if you have to play through it 4 times then there's something wrong" line at your head.

popyea

Every reviewer reading this would probably throw the "if you have to play through it 4 times then there's something wrong" line at your head.

Yeah, there is something wrong with them. It should click for most people after the first. Reviewers are just special.

Spades

This game is £25 right now on Amazon. I'm so tempted to finally pull the trigger, but my backlog is so huge right now.

Dazzyman

I've had this on the pile since release but bad health had stopped play after 1st level.

Restarted tonight. Understand it much more now. I've watched Saur vids over and over and made notes. I'm a big fan of the team anyway so no brainier for me I was going to enjoy it (love some Godhand, VJ and Bayonetta). Gets right on my man boobs the shite western review scores. Shit like that though is the same as shmups, amount of reviewers that don't get shit. Unless they play it on easy to rush thru or parrot fashion they won't take the time to learn games anymore.

Anyway I'm loving it. As long as my new heart pills stop giving me motion sickness will be fine.

And anyone on the fence.....just bloody buy it and watch Saur's YouTube vids on guides. It might "look" basic but it isn't...oh and the demo is shite!

NEO0MJ

This game is £25 right now on Amazon. I'm so tempted to finally pull the trigger, but my backlog is so huge right now.

Are there any other worthwhile action games in your backlog such as God Hand, Devil May Cry 1/3/4 or Bayonetta? If not then it's well worth picking up, even if you have a backlog.

Welp, my Wonderful 101 finally arrived today. :) I hope it is as good as everyone says. :p The demo seemed interesting, but was hard to gauge how fun the full game would be. Might give it a go after I finish Wind Waker HD.

Yuterald

Just started playing this again after a small hiatus having finished it once already near launch. So good stills. Glad I didn't steamroll/exhaust all content (like I would have even had the time anyway) within a month or whatever because it feels like a new game again on my second run. Only things that bother me still is weird shit like not being able to skip the transformation sequence/scene on the first major boss encounter and some of the "alternate" gameplay sections that go on for far too long. I wish Kamiya would stop putting this stuff in his games. It's better than the weird-feeling sections in Bayonetta, but they still last too long and I don't feel like them on replays. The boss fights are so incredible and fun, but I hate piloting my ship steering wheel and blasting a boring dragon for like 5 minutes to get to the good stuff. Oh, and fuck running across the chain, hitting a bridge, and getting screwed out of a Pure Plat. Dumb.

Otherwise, game is still kool-kid-tier.

I just finished operation 5 on my first run, and I'm enjoying it. The bosses and dialogue are my favourite things, it reminds me of Ni No Kuni in that that translation is fantastic. How much longer do I have to go? Are the latter operations longer?

Yuterald

I just finished operation 5 on my first run, and I'm enjoying it. The bosses and dialogue are my favourite things, it reminds me of Ni No Kuni in that that translation is fantastic. How much longer do I have to go? Are the latter operations longer?

Not too much longer. I'd say there's some relatively beefy stuff left. I'd like to think/say that the approaching Operations are a bit shorter though. The final portions of the game are lot more event-driven/cinematic too.

ecosse_011172

I'm at Gah-Goojin in Blossom City Outskirts and getting slaughtered.
At the point where you use unite hand to rotate the dial and the bombs come out his mouth.
I can't deflect them and I'm utterly stuck, I don't have Unite Guts, what can I do?

I'm at Gah-Goojin in Blossom City Outskirts and getting slaughtered.
At the point where you use unite hand to rotate the dial and the bombs come out his mouth.
I can't deflect them and I'm utterly stuck, I don't have Unite Guts, what can I do?

Buy Unite Guts.

Also you can turn the dials fast enough to break the arm before the bomb fires.

JCX

I'm having an awful time in the
Operation 008-B tank battle. The tank controls are so awful that I can never aim well. I am assuming I'm missing something, but not sure what.

leroidys

So I'm going through hard mode now to unlock some stuff, and I don't find the difficulty to be that bad. That is, of course, except for the kahkooh-regah missions. Good lord.

On the bright side, going back to normal is so easy. I PP about half the sections in a level without even trying.

Raysoul

I'm having an awful time in the
Operation 008-B tank battle. The tank controls are so awful that I can never aim well. I am assuming I'm missing something, but not sure what.

Just go full gyro for aiming, no one will notice :p

Seriously, look first at the TV and position the tank on the center of the stadium. After that, just use the gamepad to look around and you will see the UFO 90% of the time.

I beat the game last weekend and was replaying some operations to improve my score, but I noticed the continues I used the first time are still being deducted. Anyone know how to fix this?

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
So is there a better way to farm the Rogue hero bottle cap than to just play operation 1-A over and over and over?

I don't even know how many things I am wrecking on average but my star progress is still at 1 out of 3.

Which could be anything from 1-1999 as far as I am concerned.

Tips? Is there a good save point loop to get this done faster or something?

Proven

I checked around and heard it's 3000 things. It's not something that you grind for without losing your mind, but get while getting other bottle caps in other operations.

I hope that it isn't your last bottlecap for an unlock.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I checked around and heard it's 3000 things. It's not something that you grind for without losing your mind, but get while getting other bottle caps in other operations.

I hope that it isn't your last bottlecap for an unlock.

IT IS! IT'S THE LAST THING I NEED FOR EMERITUS D:

Yeah I knew it was 3000 things, I was referring to my progress, since I only have 1 star out of 3 I have no idea how many out of those 3000 things I have.

I know my OCD wont let me continue with other unlocks until I finish this one off too haha.

Oh god this is gonna be painful.

Proven

IT IS! IT'S THE LAST THING I NEED FOR EMERITUS D:

Yeah I knew it was 3000 things, I was referring to my progress, since I only have 1 star out of 3 I have no idea how many out of those 3000 things I have.

I know my OCD wont let me continue with other unlocks until I finish this one off too haha.

Oh god this is gonna be painful.

Since it's 3 stars, I'd guess you're still under 2000, but above 1000. So... that's something!

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Since it's 3 stars, I'd guess you're still under 2000, but above 1000. So... that's something!

Oh joy ;__;

I feel like as much as I want to believe that the progress could still be in the 1-1999 range lmao.

I've concluded the only way to get this cap without killing myself is to just replay the game over and over and over and over.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Just to clarify, The Wonderful 101 is a Nintendo IP correct?
They published the game, making it a Nintendo IP.

Then why do so many people think it's third-party? Just because it's made by a third-party company? Which given their sales record, may soon become Nintendo exclusive...

Proven

Those stars don't indicate a progression rating for the bottlecap, those are a sort of difficulty rating.

Oh. Wow. Now I don't feel as good about my progress on some other stuff...
Just to clarify, The Wonderful 101 is a Nintendo IP correct?
They published the game, making it a Nintendo IP.

Then why do so many people think it's third-party? Just because it's made by a third-party company? Which given their sales record, may soon become Nintendo exclusive...
It's a third party company working on a Nintendo IP. Just like Namco helping with Smash 4, or Koei working on that new Zelda Musou game.

People probably think it's third party because it's a brand new IP and Platinum worked on it. Platinum did actually do all the work in developing it, only looking to Nintendo to make sure that this and that was allowed. Nintendo does own it still.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Oh. Wow. Now I don't feel as good about my progress on some other stuff...

It's a third party company working on a Nintendo IP. Just like Namco helping with Smash 4, or Koei working on that new Zelda Musou game.

People probably think it's third party because it's a brand new IP and Platinum worked on it. Platinum did actually do all the work in developing it, only looking to Nintendo to make sure that this and that was allowed. Nintendo does own it still.

Okay, cause I keep seeing people say The Wonderful 101 is third-party, and keep claiming that in the whole "Nintendo doesn't have new IPs" arguments, as well as this list on Topless Robot saying it is. Blaaaah.

And yeah, the stars on the Bottlecaps aren't progress, they're difficulty levels.

First off, Bayonetta is the shit. I started this being very terrible at the game, but knowing it was me not the game. After watching saur's videos, I've been slowly going thru this thinking the game was short. A little while after I got the hang of the combat repeating certain chapters, I put the game above Bayonetta. Then I realized I have to finish it before I decide that. Just beat operation 5 and holy shit that operation is amazing because I struggled getting thru operation 4, that operation is awful.

Shafto

Finally got round to finishing this last night, after a bit of a hiatus. Found myself flagging near the middle few missions, and struggled to keep consistent interest from mission to mission.

However, those last few Operations (7B-9) had me utterly hooked. The combat completely clicked and I was nailing Platinum/Pure Platinums several times per Mission.

And then, that ending. Oh god, that ending. The game just kept on giving, getting more utterly over the top ridiculous. I was laughing out loud in a way I've not laughed at a video game for a long, long time.

Game isn't perfect. It's obscure, it's niche, it explains it's mechanics poorly, and it's prohibitively hard as nails. But when it gets it right, it absolutely nails it.

I'll be so disappointed if there's no sequel, and equally if there's no representation in Smash.

Top Bottom