• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 |OT| Diplomacy has failed

m0t0k1

Guys how long did it take for you to not suck anymore and be awesome? I'm getting my shit pushed in by fucking snapping turtles. I wonder when the AHA moment is going to be for me.

Been getting overall golds from missions since the beginning. Get usually a couple of pure platinums during a mission but when the objective isnt that clear on where to go and what to fight because of the chaos i sometimes get a silver. so average arround gold. I did play the demo 2 times though and when i just got the maingame last week i was like wth where is my spring and blob thingy? I need those to block and dodge when you buy that game gets more manageble. Just completed mission 4 but been enjoying it more then i thought i would.

EDIT: When is it a right time to use
bombs
? It's the only power I don't use regularly unless I HAVE to use it. Seems like a waste of time with most enemies.

Use them against the tigers w/ Wonder Liner and enemies that are vulnerable for a limited time such as the giant crab or the giant cube machines. Crack open the crab's shell and drop a bomb before attacking and you can deal nearly 75% of its health and possibly more while for the cube machines the bombs help even deal damage against all the mini-cubes which makes killing them a lot easier.

Bombs also help when you're dealing with the tiny foot soldiers that can be hard to see as the massive range of the bombs will instantly kill them. It also helps with enemies that go into the "anger mode" as you can stall them and just kill them outright before they get a chance.

In any case, you always want to have side characters use bombs, never have your lead character be a bomb user unless you're trying to level them up.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Down to my last 4-5 bottle caps

Having trouble triggering some though. I'm pretty sure I've used every enemy weapon, but I haven't gotten the bottlecap.(Maybe it doesn't count if you use 006-B Kahgoo Regah? Although I'm pretty sure I've used them all in normal gameplay by now as well)

Do you have to use up all their uses for it to count?

Also having trouble with Figure Collector. I have every figure besides the ones tied to secret characters I haven't unlocked yet.

but I haven't gotten the bottlecap nor have I gotten the Figures for characters I've already unlocked like Poseman and Rodin and Jeanne.

Varjet

Having trouble triggering some though. I'm pretty sure I've used every enemy weapon, but I haven't gotten the bottlecap.(Maybe it doesn't count if you use 006-B Kahgoo Regah? Although I'm pretty sure I've used them all in normal gameplay by now as well)
The last weapon that I was missing was the one the spiky Hoedowns drop. They aren't that common, so it might be the one that you're missing as well?

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
The last weapon that I was missing was the one the spiky Hoedowns drop. They aren't that common, so it might be the one that you're missing as well?

Those are also missing from the 6-b regah so that's probably it. Thanks.

And yeah op 101 is the last thing I have to do. After that I should just have to grind carrots and peppers in the first two ops and im done

CPCunha

Beat the game earlier today... what a ride. I really hate PR bs when devs. talk about something being their biggest game ever but i guess this is the rare occasion when it REALLY shows in the final product. So much variety it feels almost weird to think of it as a single game...

... but parts of it prevents it from being my GOTY.

Came to this expecting Platinum's expertise in game control... that was a bit naive of me i guess. Sections where the game diverges from the core gameplay felt kinda rough... controls were unresponsive to the point where i felt i wasn't even making a difference (might be that i'm really fresh out of it but the last boss had me cursing...hitting those spots on his hands was ok... could NOT do the same with the knees...took m sooooo long. Thats just one example out of many). I ended up going from "WOW this is a shooter now? this guys are awesome!" to "...ooh no.. another wacky level."

I hate being picky but out of a colossal game with so much done right, small details (like when the game goes to a locked camera cutscene and the environment is moving, the characters too stay locked... so the ground is shaking and they're kinda floating) really do pop out.

The good thing is there's enough reward to go at it again so i'll pull a Kotaku and update my impressions later.

Now, off to finish 3dWorld.

LocalE

Finally unlocked the final character over the weekend, leveled up the last couple of characters I had gotten, and played some more!
The only thing I haven't done is get platinum trophies in mission mode. I know I definitely need to plat the last couple of missions at least.
Interestingly, I have never gotten a single Pure Platinum trophy. I'm sure I'll be returning to the game often enough over the years that I will get better and eventually have some Pure Platinums on my final results screen, but I am in no hurry to fill up that grid with perfect trophies, I guess.

This game is so bad-ass!

KLonso

Am I doing myself a disservice by playing on Easy and using the pro controller? If I am, I'm still early enough to not mind restarting

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Fuck the Epilogue Kahkoo-Regah. I am so terrible at Punch-Out... and yet I know it's required to beat for the figure and Wonder-Goggles.

Raysoul

Am I doing myself a disservice by playing on Easy and using the pro controller? If I am, I'm still early enough to not mind restarting

I normally suggest to start on Normal, and go on Easy if you can't really handle it. As for using the pro controller, there are sections which requires you to use the Gamepad screen (like the warehouse on Operation 001-A).

Fuck the Epilogue Kahkoo-Regah. I am so terrible at Punch-Out... and yet I know it's required to beat for the figure and Wonder-Goggles.

Patience, check his winks so you can counter him easily. Save a super so you can use it after the second knockdown count.

there are sections which requires you to use the Gamepad screen (like the warehouse on Operation 001-A).

Not necessarily. By pressing (-) you can cycle through display settings and have the gamepad's screen and main game screens both viewable at the same time. It's awkward but doable.

The gamepad also makes it easier to assign wonderful ones as your point member for when you want to level them up.

neoemonk

Got some cash for Christmas and today I decided to hit up Amazon for this game...

and it's sold out. Third party sellers do have it but I want that sweet $30 deal. Guess I'm waiting.

Raysoul

Is the demo really that bad? I just want to try out the gameplay.

The Demo is basically the first half of the first mission (after the intro tutorial mission). Personally I don't have a problem with the demo because I have watched the trailers first so I have a good grip with the mechanics.

The problem with the demo is people doesn't even know what the game is like, then jumps into the demo, and get overwhelmed/confused by the gameplay. And since most people doesn't have any patience to learn, they refuse to get the full game.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Demo is just really boring.

Unlike games like DMC and Bayonetta where the fodder enemies are fun to practice on and satisfying to knock around, the most basic enemies in 101 are like bugs. They're not really fun to fight and are too small and weak to really practice any of the games mechanics on.

The big enemies are the ones that the combo mechanics really shine against. and there's only one in the demo at the very end.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
It's not.

People have already gutted it for info and posted it all online.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
So I'm new to this game.......what are the essential powerups to buy at the market?

Unite Guts and Unite Spring are absolutely necessary!
Speed Liner will be very helpful
When you can, create a Credit Card in the mixer and buy Ukemi, as well as Speed Charge.

Not saying I'm bored but I'm not enjoying the limited options I have right now. How long until I have everything unlocked? Moves and recommended stuff from the store, I mean. The stuff during the attract screen or whatever is called when you leave the title screen looks boss. Why can't I do that? Just started operation 3. Don't really wanna make an assessment yet but compared to Bayo, that felt good as soon I touched the controller, not nearly the case here.

Also, with the spiky enemies, what's the quickest way to strip them?

Not saying I'm bored but I'm not enjoying the limited options I have right now. How long until I have everything unlocked? Moves and recommended stuff from the store, I mean. The stuff during the attract screen or whatever is called when you leave the title screen looks boss. Why can't I do that? Just started operation 3. Don't really wanna make an assessment yet but compared to Bayo, that felt good as soon I touched the controller, not nearly the case here.

Also, with the spiky enemies, what's the quickest way to strip them?

I was unlocking stuff long into my second playthrough while getting the remaining Wonderful Ones and leveling everyone up. You get special moves based on the average level of all your Wonderful Ones of that specific weapon. So if you want to earn new moves like Wonderful Rising or Wonderful Cyclone, assign low-level Wonderful Ones to be your point characters.

The main reason they're holding back on giving things is so the player doesn't get overwhelmed with information. By the time you get the moves, you'll already be so at home with the basics, the new moves fit in extremely naturally and make combat shift from just surviving to styling.

As for spike guys, bigger whips take more parts at a time. What I do is get some distance from one when they appear and they tend to do that attack where they roll. Hit them with a giant whip during this attack and it'll make them stumble, allowing you to rip off lots of spike pieces.

AniHawk

good lord this game can be unbearably frustrating in small ways, like a paper cut.

the controls just flat out suck in segments, mostly due to the camera.

the action is okay. overall it's a more interesting game than viewtiful joe which means it's at least better than okami, but it's definitely not where bayonetta and the first devil may cry are for me.

Temetti

Neo Member
Got my copy of Wonderful 101 today. Nice way to celebrate new years. I have to admit that my expectations are pretty high. Just checked in and read the last page of this thread and it seems I might need to return later to get some answers, but for now I think I'll just start the game 'blind' and go with the flow. Gotta go fast.

Neoxon

Just finished the game, & it's nothing short of amazing. It's a sin that more people aren't enjoying this gem of a game.

I laughed, I cried, I cheered, I got hyped. Very few games actually got these emotions out of me. W101 succeeded in all of them.

Bravo, Platinum Games

Just got my own copy for christmas, and it's pretty great so far! (At operation 4) A few questions:

When i dodge, i sometimes lose a few dudes who are lagging behind and get hit. Normal, or am i screwing up timings?

I guess i have to level up party members, as well as individual forms? Is there a menu that tracks this, and are there certain ways i should be using forms to level them up?

How do i change leader? I've done it on accident a ton and i figure i should know how to do this so i can level dudes.

h do i throw enemies consistently? I thought you had to stun them then draw a circle, but most of the time that just gives me fist so i think I'm doing something wrong.

Finally got around to doing the Club Nintendo post play survey for the game and couldn't resist venting a bit in the "any further thoughts" box:

Thank you for partnering with Platinum to bring us such an excellent and unique title. However, I am exremely disappointed in your lack of proper mainstream promotion and advertising of this game which aside from problems with a currently low install base, no doubt also helped contrinbute to its poor sales. You cannot expect an original, unique title of this kind that needs as much exposure as possible to succeed with promotion almost purely based on word of mouth or promotion that is mainly done online or at conventions. A title like this deserved television sopts, print ads, and possibly even some eye catching point of sales materials could have helped as well. Although The Wonderful 101 is in and of itself a "niche" title, kids and adults alike love themes based on superheros and Japanese action genres, so with the right outreach, this title could have sold more than it did, but it didn't, and at least part of that blame must rest squarely on the shoulders of Nintendo and its marketing teams. This problem goes beyond this title as Lego City Undercover also suffered from a lack of proper advertising from you. Please use some of your profit to invest in getting the word out about your home console and its games with real ads. The confused or apathetic mainstream consumers who you are trying to reach out to probably don't know you have a Youtube Channel.

When i dodge, i sometimes lose a few dudes who are lagging behind and get hit. Normal, or am i screwing up timings?

Normal, although if you hold Y as you run and they get hit, they'll recover faster.

I guess i have to level up party members, as well as individual forms? Is there a menu that tracks this, and are there certain ways i should be using forms to level them up? How do i change leader? I've done it on accident a ton and i figure i should know how to do this so i can level dudes.

Using the Gamepad, press the arrow on the bottom of the screen and it'll show all your individual Wonderful Ones and as you tap their pictures it'll show what level they are at. Double tap or whatever and it'll assign them to be the new point member for that morph. To speed up leveling, make sure you assign someone for each morph and then make giant morphs.

I should point out that all your members level up regardless if you make them point members or not, making them point members just speeds the process up.

h do i throw enemies consistently? I thought you had to stun them then draw a circle, but most of the time that just gives me fist so i think I'm doing something wrong.

Don't push a button when you make the circle. When the enemy is stunned, draw a circle around them and the line should turn rainbow colored. Just leave it alone like that and then your guys will lift the enemy up.

LocalE

Just got my own copy for christmas, and it's pretty great so far! (At operation 4) A few questions:

It happens. You'll get better at keeping your team out of the way, but in the grand scheme of things, it's really not a big deal.

I guess i have to level up party members, as well as individual forms? Is there a menu that tracks this, and are there certain ways i should be using forms to level them up?
How do i change leader? I've done it on accident a ton and i figure i should know how to do this so i can level dudes.

When the Gamepad is showing the normal input screen, where there are dots to show how your team is arranged , there is a little arrow at the bottom of the screen, in the middle. Touch that and it will bring up a screen showing your current team members. They can be sorted several different ways. Use the D-pad to move the cursor around and it will show the current progress of whoever is highlighted.
Pick a character who is not already at max level for each weapon type. Whenever you use a weapon in combat, experience is given to all characters who use that weapon type. More experience goes to whoever is selected as leader at the time. Leveling up more characters with a given weapon eventually unlocks moves for that weapon: mostly just the Rising, Stinger, and Cyclone moves.

If the enemy is stunned, drawing a line that curves around them should cause the liner to turn rainbow colored. After a second or so, some of your team should break off and pick up the enemy. Then a prompt will show up on screen indicating that pressing Y will cause you to throw the enemy. I use it occasionally but it hasn't been all that useful to me personally. Throwing every car you see for a while should help get that bottlecap quickly though.

Fake Edit: beaten

AniHawk

that was the dumbest most unique craziest frustrating bizarre game i've played from 2013 to be sure.

i'm not sure i really like it, but the final two operations are pretty good, so i'm glad it ends on a really strong note. i don't like qtes either but
'protect earth'
is probably the best qte prompt i've ever seen in a game.

daydream

Banned
Don't really get where all the hate for the demo is coming from. Played it just now and thought it was amazing, I was grinning throughout. Only "in-depth" thing I watched prior was the Giantbomb QL, that probably helped a little bit.

Anyway, screw my plans to buy this *eventually*, the demo convinced me to get this as soon as possible.

Raysoul

Don't really get where all the hate for the demo is coming from. Played it just now and thought it was amazing, I was grinning throughout. Only "in-depth" thing I watched prior was the Giantbomb QL, that probably helped a little bit.

Anyway, screw my plans to buy this *eventually*, the demo convinced me to get this as soon as possible.

*High five*

I was also one of the people that think the demo is good enough.

Anyway, I just started my hard run yesterday. I really was hard.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
operation 006-b is painfully dull. why does anyone allow this shit to happen.

Worst stage in the game by far

Almost entirely an auto scrolling section. Totally kills the momentum of any replay

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I enjoy that stage because of the story
Dat Old school Wonder Red
, but yeah, it is a pace killer.

Emeritus is fine.

Scrolling shooting section and all the unskippable exposition fights are what ruin it.

I liked that stuff the first time through and thought it was better than filmstrip cutscenes, but it's horrible for replays.

AniHawk

yeah w101 would be a lot better if someone had taken a knife to a lot of those duller scenes. it's super uneven in the middle of the game with all the exposition fights and sudden changes in gameplay.

i got used to- and even wound up enjoying- the combat system. i even liked the last operation through-and-through (and the punch-out stuff i guess), but the auto-scrolling stuff showed up too often. this game could have been 5 hours shorter and much better for it.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I agree. Something I was saying earlier was that the 101 minigames are sort of betrayed by their depth. The motorcycle and space harrier sections in bayo aren't the best, but at least they were easy and unintrusive.

In 101 they're some of the hardest parts of the game to pure platinum, instead of the core gameplay.

I also wish platinum had realized something that even first party Nintendo titles now understand. Having to look back and forth between the tv and the gamepad isn't fun in the least bit.

Hopefully a lesson learned for bayo 2.

Punch out was awesome though. Made me go out and pick up the Wii game for more of that type of game

Ghost King

Neo Member
I just ended this game (normal), the end boss battle was so sick, this game is just awesome. If it weren't for the shooter-scrolling sections that some times were just unfair... If you want to play this, try to see the saur videos of W101 in youtube to understand better how to battle and the mechanics, they were incredibly useful for me.

Ok so I just got this a few days ago. I just managed to play it for a little over a hour, I love the characters and the chat but gameplay wise WTF is going on?! The larger enemies seem to kill me 5+ times before they die on normal and when I try to dodge their attacks it seems impossible. I know I probably just suck but wtf is happening? lol

NEO0MJ

Ok so I just got this a few days ago. I just managed to play it for a little over a hour, I love the characters and the chat but gameplay wise WTF is going on?! The larger enemies seem to kill me 5+ times before they die on normal and when I try to dodge their attacks it seems impossible. I know I probably just suck but wtf is happening? lol

Did you watch Saur's videos? They'll help you get a grasp of the game.

Chunky

These videos by Saur are really good at highlighting the basic mechanics and then breaking down the more complex systems. Far better than I could do anyway :D

One tip I can give is that for the bigger enemies, staggering them is vital. That comes from either Wonder-guts being used at the right time to counter (if you don't have it, guts is purchasable in the shop) or pressing X for a team attack until they're knocked.
I would seriously recommend watching the videos though.

Did you watch Saur's videos? They'll help you get a grasp of the game.

Arrgh you motherfucker, I should never leave a reply tab open D:

BusterJol

I need mental support guys. I just had a conversation with some guy about Wonderful 101 and he just wrote it off as "Pikmin with Scribblenauts controls". I had to leave the conversation right away. And this is after he watched a ton of videos about it.

Top Bottom