• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 |OT| Diplomacy has failed

Is there a way to reset the camera inside rooms that make you use the gamepad? I have to put the pad into the most awkward positions sometimes to actually see what's going.

So I just got this game and I'm on the first operation. When do I get the ability to dodge and block? It was there in the demo but I can't seem to do it here.

Veelk

Banned
So I just played 2 hours of W101 and as much of a Kamiya freak I am, I am just not feeling this.

I have no idea what is going on because there is so much on the screen and everyone is just tiny little dots. Does team attack have a property aside from being a different kind of attack or am I just using it wrong? Is there a reason to not use the sword over the hand with it's greater reach and seemingly equal power?

I feel Bayonetta explained itself so much better in terms of how it worked. I don't understand any of the mechanics aside from the most surface level and am basically mashing my way through it atm. How do I play this game?

So I just played 2 hours of W101 and as much of a Kamiya freak I am, I am just not feeling this.

I have no idea what is going on because there is so much on the screen and everyone is just tiny little dots. Does team attack have a property aside from being a different kind of attack or am I just using it wrong? Is there a reason to not use the sword over the hand with it's greater reach and seemingly equal power?

I feel Bayonetta explained itself so much better in terms of how it worked. I don't understand any of the mechanics aside from the most surface level and am basically mashing my way through it atm. How do I play this game?

Yeah team attack is very important -- use it repeatedly on enemies and your team will climb on them until they're stunned, at which point you can combo them using your unite morphs. You get combo bonuses for hitting enemies that have been targeted with team attack, and there's a lock-on aspect to it as well.

Sword is great for many situations but unite hand does more damage. Hand is probably the most balanced morph in terms of power/speed/reach, whereas sword has better reach and is needed against certain enemies.

Go here and get schooled, you will have a better time once you know what you are supposed to be doing: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLrwWQGfD4d7H_r3hkL6xsJRbQK_R5Du0y

Dereck

Yeah, once you get that it changes from a fight for survival to "I better go easy on this guy so that I get platinum combo".

I highly recommend going through hard mode if you enjoyed normal.
The enemies in this game are far too annoying for me to even consider a second playthrough.

Is there a way to reset the camera inside rooms that make you use the gamepad? I have to put the pad into the most awkward positions sometimes to actually see what's going.

L repositions the camera behind you. Holding R while moving the right control stick lets you move the camera manually.

Saur's guide helps a lot.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbCOGQCF6GO0HsY1zfxStGA1Ou-7Fj6AN

You'll be able to tell what's going on in the game the more you play. You can zoom the camera out by tapping L and zoom in by tapping R. Team attack is used to slow enemies down and, eventually, will cause enemies to glow yellow meaning you can either pick 'em up by circling a shape around them or you can juggle them in the air with Wonder Rising (slide input Jump + Attack).

Unite Hand deals more damage per second (especially noticeable when larger) and blocks fire attacks. Unite Sword is good for crown control, absorbs lightning attacks, and reflects lasers.

You're mashing right now because most of the enemies are easy and you haven't unlocked the other weapons or custom blocks. Early in the game you will want to focus on avoiding damage and blocking/deflecting enemy attacks.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
The first playthrough maybe, but once you discover how to beat most enemies, it's not difficult at all not to even get damaged on most encounters.

That doesn't mean they aren't annoying to fight.

I still hate fighting all those fast enemies you have to hit with unite bomb to keep from blocking.

The downside to all the morphs is that they designed enemies that sort of force you to use them to keep them all relevant in combat. Otherwise youd never use anything but sword and bomb since they're so much better than everything else.

There are times when it's interesting,(when its optional) but when its not it's really annoying and limiting

leroidys

That doesn't mean they aren't annoying to fight.

I still hate fighting all those fast enemies you have to hit with unite bomb to keep from blocking.

The downside to all the morphs is that they designed enemies that sort of force you to use them to keep them all relevant in combat. Otherwise youd never use anything but sword and bomb since they're so much better than everything else.

There are times when it's interesting,(when its optional) but when its not it's really annoying and limiting

That's not really how the game works though, there are very few enemies that there's a "solution" for. Almost everything can be attacked in a variety of ways.

For the fast ones, have your team morph into the bomb and then you can attack them any way you like. I highly disagree that the sword is better than everything else. It's more all purpose, but definitely not better in most specific instances.

I do hate the giant spiky enemies though for the reason you stated.

JoeFenix

That's not really how the game works though, there are very few enemies that there's a "solution" for. Almost everything can be attacked in a variety of ways.

For the fast ones, have your team morph into the bomb and then you can attack them any way you like. I highly disagree that the sword is better than everything else. It's more all purpose, but definitely not better in most specific instances.

I do hate the giant spiky enemies though for the reason you stated.

I agree.

Other than the spiked enemies which only have one way of making them vulnerable everything else can be approached in a variety of ways.

You NEVER need to use the hammer for the Megangs or to use the claws for the Hagonays for example. The sword is pretty weak in terms of damage, when you`re trying to go for pure platinums the sword certainly isn`t the best option in all situations. It`s very versatile and I would say it`s my default morph but I use the other ones quite often aswell.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

I'm not arguing that. I'm just agreeing that alot of them are a pain to deal with.

You NEVER need to use the hammer for the Megangs or to use the claws for the Hagonays for example.

There's no reason not to though. You can bomb a megang and try to flank it when it's in its defensive stance, or just block its missiles with Hammer or Naginata until it gets up.... or you can just say fuck it and open it up with claw for a chance for a stun.

Same with the turtles. You can deal with its bullshit to try and tip it over as the other one constantly disrupts you.....or you can just use hero counter/time and spam wonder cyclone with hammer to deal with both of them at the same time.(better for combo rank too)

Enemy design in this game reminds me of Shadows in DMC. I don't think they're poorly designed or anything, I just personally find the encounters a bit tedious after a while and don't want to deal with them. (101 is most interesting to me as a combo game, so naturally my favorite enemies are ones like Dahkarts or the big robots. )

The sword is pretty weak in terms of damage, when you`re trying to go for pure platinums the sword certainly isn`t the best option in all situations. It`s very versatile and I would say it`s my default morph but I use the other ones quite often aswell.

Low damage is supposed to be the tradeoff for what sword offers. I don't think damage is that important in this game. Especially when you're drawing the biggest morphs and doing 4x base damage anyways. If anything that's desirable for PP's.

JoeFenix

The Megangs are so much easier to kill without using the hammer. Just force them to stomp by standing near their heads or hind legs and guts their stomp. Switch to fist and hit them until they fall down on their backs then just go nuts.

The Hagonays you just get behind when they shield up and guts their tail stomp. Puts them in dizzy state and you can then juggle them.

I don't really find any of the enemies super annoying to fight honestly. Sometimes the Doorah's can piss me off but mostly because the game wants you to kill them REALLY fast.

Low damage is supposed to be the tradeoff for what sword offers. I don't think damage is that important in this game. Especially when you're drawing the biggest morphs and doing 4x base damage anyways. If anything that's desirable for PP's.

The sword is good for launching, juggling and for the cyclone sweep. The stun effect when you're at 2.5x multiplier or if you're using Jeanne is also nice.

It's a very useful tool but there are much better ways to get points and much better ways to do damage.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't know that about Hagonaays.

I still think hammer is best way to deal with turtles though. Especially when you get unite big or Rodin. Don't have to bait anything just parry/dodge whatever it throws at me immediately and I can hit both of them at the same tme(they almost always come in pairs)

It's a very useful tool but there are much better ways to get points and much better ways to do damage.

Depends on encounter but I find dash cancel spamming specials is the easiest/most effective way in most situations, and sword is best at that because of its range, speed and how easy and fast it is to draw compared to other morphs.

It's what got me Platinum Paragon on normal really without much effort.(almost all my gold were from damage)

Pretty much all I do in vorkken fights is stand in place, make big swords and spam wonder cyclone. You still get points for special moves even if they don't deal damage.

PP even on 101%

JoeFenix

I didn't know that about Hagonaays.

I still think hammer is best way to deal with turtles though. Especially when you get unite big or Rodin. Don't have to bait anything just parry/dodge whatever it throws at me immediately and I can hit both of them at the same tme(they almost always come in pairs)

Depends on encounter but I find dash cancel spamming specials is the easiest/most effective way in most situations, and sword is best at that because of its range, speed and how easy and fast it is to draw compared to other morphs.

It's what got me Platinum Paragon on normal really without much effort.(almost all my gold were from damage)

Pretty much all I do in vorkken fights is stand in place, make big swords and spam wonder cyclone. You still get points for special moves even if they don't deal damage.

PP even on 101%

It's so much easier and faster to kill the Megangs with the method I described, you get alot more points too!

I have methods of getting more combo points with other weapons that are alot more efficient than just using the sword and cancel spamming specials. Hell, just dizzying an enemy and using basic claw combos on it is more efficient.

The only thing I'm currently missing is PP on 9-C for all difficulties, I just don't care to attempt that at this point. Honestly though, this game has more depth than you give it credit for.

Insane ending, just kept going and going. A real triumph of a game, something totally unique and quirky in the realm of modern gaming. Kudos to all who made it.

Here's a question for Platinum fans. Is Bayonetta generally considered longer or shorter than W101? It took me just over a week with a playtime of around 13hours to beat it, but I feel the urge to finally try Bayonetta. I'd like to be able to get through it before I get my PS4 on Friday.
So, Bayonetta: Longer or Shorter than W101?

NEO0MJ

Here's a question for Platinum fans. Is Bayonetta generally considered longer or shorter than W101? It took me just over a week with a playtime of around 13hours to beat it, but I feel the urge to finally try Bayonetta. I'd like to be able to get through it before I get my PS4 on Friday.
So, Bayonetta: Longer or Shorter than W101?

I'm pretty sure Bayonetta was the shorter game.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Bayonetta will probably take you around the same amount of time your first time through though

Got tired of trying for Pure Platinums and decided to start a playthrough on hard instead. Holy crap, those of you getting PPs on these settings have my respect. But it's made the game fun again instead of frustrating, just trying to survive and progress rather than aiming for perfection, and reliving the great moments of the story.

For my part I don't find battling the enemies in this game annoying at all. It's pure satisfaction and fun as far as I'm concerned (platforming and shmup-style levels less so, but they're part of the game's charm IMO). This may just be my game of the forever.

sasimirobot

Been playing this for the last week or so, only 3 hours in but WOW! I decided to read the sales thread and came across those youtube videos, I can't believe how noobish I have been playing the game as far as the deepness of combat. This game is already in my Top 10 of all times and I haven't even scratched the surface it seems...

If anyone reads this post and hasn't bought this game shame of you for even visiting neogaf

Lunar15

What really hit me near the end is how simple the game's mechanics actually are. The drawing mechanic just creates a seemingly steep learning curve early on and it's initially off putting. But at a certain point, everything does gel pretty well.

I'm just gonna echo what other people have said: The game tries a lot of things, some of which work great and some of which really don't work that well. But the thing is that it's constantly trying things and always feels fresh. It honestly might be my favorite Platinum game. It's easily their most outrageous game, which is saying something.

Now I just want them to team up with Mikami again so we can get a spiritual successor to God Hand.

sasimirobot

Couple of questions

1. How do you pull off the spinning move I see in the combo videos to keep the enemy floating? Its a 360 with the left stick right? It always registers as stinger

2.The octopus boss that attacks the ship in stage 4?, I always get hit by all his attacks except the machine gun. Whats the strategy with him?

NEO0MJ

Couple of questions

1. How do you pull off the spinning move I see in the combo videos to keep the enemy floating? Its a 360 with the left stick right? It always registers as stinger

You have to unlock that move in order to use it. Just level up the heroes using whatever weapon you want to use it with in order to unlock it.

After using bomb to get past the moving fire walls, use the sword like a key on the pillars to turn them which will affect the water flow outside.

Should I feel intimidated that I've died about 20 times on the intro and first mission?

I think I've got to grips with the controls a little though, although evasion seems like it will still be an issue for now.

Is kiting a tactic in this game?

NEO0MJ

I feel this needs its own thread. Most of the people browsing this thread now probably already own this.

Should I feel intimidated that I've died about 20 times on the intro and first mission?

I think I've got to grips with the controls a little though, although evasion seems like it will still be an issue for now.

Is kiting a tactic in this game?

Don't use the kite unless you're forced to by the story, it doesn't have much use. And it's ok to die a lot in this game, it's pretty unorthodox.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
ok...I've finished it right now...
seriously: GOTY candidate here!!!
I loved it because it offers something new ever chapter, and the more you play it, the more you feel it.
probably my favourite Platinum game so far...!!!

Dave Long

Banned
Does anyone have the strategy guide for this game? I was wondering how much useful and/or cool information and artwork is included?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
So I went to the Nintendo mall event today and decided to show people The Wonderful 101. Only a few saw it though but I can go back another day.

I tried mission mode and noticed that the person who started the file didn't buy Unite Spring. That was annoying...

Gah! I'm fighting a double headed flying serpent thing and I have one head down and the second one won't die. A few moments ago the game prompted me to do a Unite Something but it was so hectic I missed it. Anyone know what i'm talking about? ha

Unite Build.

Send 100 people into the eye socket of the first head.

Say what mission number you're on and it'll be easier for people to help, like "001-C"

Andrew.

Banned
I poopsocked the bejesus out of it all weekend and kicked massive fucking ass through Operations 5 and 6.

Id say it took a solid 10 hours of playing to really get a good grasp on everything. Im now nailing a mix of PP's to Golds most fights. It feels so damn good man. This is easily the most satisfying game Ive played since Demons Souls. And my god, I cant wait to start it back up again.

Operation 7 tonight!

The learning curve on this is insane. I wonder how long i'll last. Watching those tutorial videos while moderately helpful, also kinda gave me the idea i'll never really get good at this game, i haven't given up yet however.

I just discovered pushing down on the d-pad brings up your "wonderful" heroes and you can assign one......what exactly am I doing here? Is this like choosing a buff of some sort?

Also, can I save mid mission? Or when I resume will it make me replay the entire sequence?

Top Bottom