• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 |OT| Diplomacy has failed

Slixshot

Banned
As someone who has yet to pick up a Wii U and lives in NA, I know very little about this game. My question to the people who are playing through it: Are there unlockables? The Wii U doesn't have a achievements or trophies and honestly, I'm one of those people who enjoy unlocking things of that sort (especially in Platinum Games games). Is there anything you get for perfecting the game? Thank you :)

Does anyone have any tips on effective ways to tackle the big blob like creature at the start of operation 2B? I can't seem to block his attacks and can't find an effective way to deal damage quickly.

As someone who has yet to pick up a Wii U and lives in NA, I know very little about this game. My question to the people who are playing through it: Are there unlockables? The Wii U doesn't have a achievements or trophies and honestly, I'm one of those people who enjoy unlocking things of that sort (especially in Platinum Games games). Is there anything you get for perfecting the game? Thank you :)

The game seems to have some kind of in game achievements which I've been unlocking as I play. Plus there are hidden levels, bottle caps, figures, enemy files etc. to collect so there's no shortage of stuff to get as you play through the game.

this game has as more to unlock than most other games i've played, it's packed!
figurines
bottlecaps(which are basically achievements)
files on the wonderful 101/enemies
tons of extra moves/skills

wsippel

Banned
Does anyone have any tips on effective ways to tackle the big blob like creature at the start of operation 2B? I can't seem to block his attacks and can't find an effective way to deal damage quickly.
Use the sword, spam multi morphs (multiple swords), dodge when he jumps in the air.

NeoRausch

I pretty much smashed it with unite sword. takes away big chunks of his health and you can easily block his laser.
when his own laser hits him it's all downhill for him from there on.

Slixshot

Banned
^^ Thank you both :) Solidified my purchase!

CkUPeb8.gif

spoilers for those that want to figure it out themselves..
just make a long sword and attack from a distance, it's one of the easiest enemies once you use this approach.
i don't think you can block his attacks, just circle him and attack with long sword.

on Wii U 3rd party games still had the same achievement systems in place

if it was EA or Ubisoft game you find you unlocked stuff with Uplay or Origin

many games on the platform just feature those things in game and ``W101 seems to have huge library of stuff to collect over multiple playthroughs get a Wii U

Thanks for the answers guys.

Another q: whats the use in selecting other heroes? They all do the same right now (hand and seord). All the heroes up until this point are just there for astetic reasons or what?

D-e-f-

Banned

It does have a high-score Miiverse community that does seem to prompt you to post your scores so it kinda does have achievements.

Another q: whats the use in selecting other heroes? They all do the same right now (hand and seord). All the heroes up until this point are just there for astetic reasons or what?

Go back a page, there's a link to the latest platinum blog that explains why changing leaders is ESSENTIAL.

thefro

http://platinumgames.com/2013/08/23/w101-blog-ep-21-be-tough-level-up/

Basically your team's overall average level effects the size of your vitality gauge and the number of custom blocks you can equip.

The overall average level for all the Unite Hand heroes has to be a certain level before you can unlock certain skills, same for Unite Sword, etc.

Neff

This is not just the game of the year, it's without doubt one of the most fun, varied, polished, spectacular, content-packed games ever made.

They may even have topped Bayonetta with this for me.

XDDX

Just beat the game. The in-game file says it took 11:15 and the activity log says it took just under 17 hours. Crazy. What an amazing game.

The credits also
thanked Sega for Bayonetta characters, so I guess that means something?

asking again, as i know a lot will have beaten this, please help!

Can someone give me some tips for the blossom city tower boss,
end of mission 002 when your on top of the ufo shaped building.

what are you supposed to do when he throws the huge ship at you that's now his hand?
how are you supposed to avoid this attack?
also the rockets from his chest,
how are you supposed to stop them hitting the tower?

Just beat the game. The in-game file says it took 11:15 and the activity log says it took just under 17 hours. Crazy. What an amazing game.

The credits also
thanked Sega for Bayonetta characters, so I guess that means something?

we have been talking about it for days but no one has found it yet at least it is also in the credits along with the manual in the demo

Bear_Hugger

Neo Member
I finished the game for the first time and this is a pure gem. It is rare for me that i just wanna keep on playing instantly after the credits roll. The combosystem is, once understood, deep and satisfing. A friend of mine (he is heavy into fighting games) watched me playing through the last two chapters and couldnt see the fun. So i let him try the first chapter afterwards, he mashed only one morph. After explaining him the mechanics, he was able to pull of nice combos he also thinks that the feeling of the combosystem is incredible, its just like once you learn fadc in sf4 you just cant stop playing, it just gets better. True videogame gem!

press +. there is a tab for the moves. they are listed on the pad screen, the commands can be seen on the TV.

Aight, will check it out.

Just wait for the op 5 boss. C.R.A.Z.Y.

Damn you Kamiya.

lol, I couldn't believe the Op5 boss.
I'm getting to Op8, but the Op3 boss is probably still the best one. Shit was sick.

Fuck Vorkki though. Took me until the (seemingly) last battle until I figured out a somehow useful tactic against him.

spoilers for those that want to figure it out themselves..
just make a long sword and attack from a distance, it's one of the easiest enemies once you use this approach.
i don't think you can block his attacks, just circle him and attack with long sword.

Cool, thanks for the tips. I'll give that a shot again and see how I get on.

Dang0

Need help with (what I assume) is the final boss.

I've broken the weakspots on his arms, but I cant find the rest of them, I can hit them with a sword of 200, but it doesnt do much damage.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
http://platinumgames.com/2013/08/23/w101-blog-ep-21-be-tough-level-up/

Basically your team's overall average level effects the size of your vitality gauge and the number of custom blocks you can equip.

The overall average level for all the Unite Hand heroes has to be a certain level before you can unlock certain skills, same for Unite Sword, etc.
So what I'm getting from this is as soon as a character has leveled up, switch them out for another one to level up, thus evenly having each character & thus the whole team get stronger?

Thanks ill be using all the heroes then. Does replaying missions during the main game between progress count to levelling up or should I just play through the game in one go?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So what I'm getting from this is as soon as a character has leveled up, switch them out for another one to level up, thus evenly having each character & thus the whole team get stronger?

Ja. Lead characters will gain the most experience, but all characters as part of a morph will gain experience too. So if you use Unite Sword and kill bad dudes, the heroes forming the sword will get some XP, not just the unite sword lead. I've had a few characters level up that were never put as leads because of this.

Dang0

Just beat the game, and I think it might just be my favorite Platinum game. I loved Bayonetta and vanquish was great too, but the story felt weak in both of those games, where as here it feels like a really good saturday cartoon show.

Clocked in at 22 and a half hours according to the Wii U activity log (I'm not that good at action games and I played through on normal). Reminded me a lot of Bayo, even though the gameplay is a bit different, the way the game is designed and presented gave me deja vu. I don't usually replay games but I feel like this might be the exception. I want to unlock all the skills, find the collectibles and get all the wonderful ones (I think I got about 75), and maybe finish without getting a thousand consulation prize trophies.

Proven

There are probably hero references to a lot of Platinum games. I decided to check a video randomly and saw the player find Wonder Cheerleader, who uses pom-pom guns just like Silvia from Viewtiful Joe.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Wonder-Sister

A nun hero with two phasers: Heaven & Hell.

mcmmaster

Game just crashed at the end of mission 3 on operation 6-B, it went back to the virgin victory after the mini-boss was defeated and the game suddenly froze and a loud buzzing sound started to play

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VekOHeI5Gxo

The stage had some fun new mechanics but man did it drag for a while, sucks I gotta do it again :/

EDIT: Just beat the mission and it didn't crash, might have been more the systems fault than the actual game.

EatChildren

No freezes on my end, but I've had the sound buzzing once when I opened the pause menu.

does she look like Bayo's Nun outfit?

Not from memory. Just a nun in a badass pose with two guns.

No freezes on my end, but I've had the sound buzzing once when I opened the pause menu.

Not from memory. Just a nun in a badass pose with two guns.

it is still a good reference to that cutscene when she dressed as a nun but giving Sega a copyright credit for Bayonetta would not be there for just a nun cosplayer

Kamiya forever troll

wsippel

Banned
that reminds me, Wonder Blue is a damn racist/stereotype-lover.
Blue and Luca are by far the worst characters in the game. Well, at least Blue is sometimes good for a laugh.

it is still a good reference to that cutscene when she dressed as a nun but giving Sega a copyright credit for Bayonetta would not be there for just a nun cosplayer

Kamiya forever troll
There are at least two very well hidden characters: One is probably Bayonetta, and the other is
Kamiya

Luca seems like Scrappy Doo in human form, small little annoying fucker who thinks he can take on the world and you always have to rescue him(when in reality you're thinking "fuck this kid, good riddance")

Also, this silhouette is TOTALLY Bayonetta, nobody else has hair like that

But you gotta work for it: platinum all the operations, beat the hardest difficulty, find all the bottle caps, etc

Game just crashed at the end of mission 3 on operation 6-B, it went back to the virgin victory after the mini-boss was defeated and the game suddenly froze and a loud buzzing sound started to play
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VekOHeI5Gxo
The stage had some fun new mechanics but man did it drag for a while, sucks I gotta do it again :/

the game is amazing, no doubt about it.
and the controls are fine, just stay away from the gamepad touch screen.

But it's full of bugs, small problems and things which i wish were polished up more.
It's a shame because a few fixes here and there would have pushed this into game of the year status.
I'm hoping that they fix a few things for the american release, then patch the european version

Encountered an annoying glitch in Operation 5:
There was Lava where it wasn´t supposed to be and swallowed the ball i needed to gain the statue for the puzzle. I solved this by entering and leaving the secret underground level so the game would be forced to load the level again with standard geometry. Annoying but not gamebreaking. Only glitch for me so far.

Kjellson

I need help in 005-A!

Shortly after you get Wonder-Black you get chased by that purple chick, she blasts a wall that spawns a big pool of lava. What the hell are you supposed to do there? Can't climb on the wall, and there's barely any time to do anything because the floor's crumbling.

I need help in 005-A!

Shortly after you get Wonder-Black you get chased by that purple chick, she blasts a wall that spawns a big pool of lava. What the hell are you supposed to do there? Can't climb on the wall, and there's barely any time to do anything because the floor's crumbling.

Squirtle beats Charmander, the answer's in front of you

Conezays

Maybe a $5er. Colorful Nintendo games are never worth $60.

Yes, obviously. Why wouldn't it?!

Well, there have been some mixed reviews on the game, mentioning issues with controls, bugs, polish, etc. I can overlook those things if they're minor and I still like the game. Just bought Pikmin 3 as well.

Totally forgot that there's a demo on the E shop. Is it a decent demo or did you think it didn't really give an accurate picture of the game?

Thanks

Phazon

Well, there have been some mixed reviews on the game, mentioning issues with controls, bugs, polish, etc. I can overlook those things if they're minor and I still like the game. Just bought Pikmin 3 as well.

Totally forgot that there's a demo on the E shop. Is it a decent demo or did you think it didn't really give an accurate picture of the game?

Thanks

It'll throw you right into the game and it's mostly gameplay. I'd suggest you try it out at least twice. The first time you'll have a hard time trying to figure everything out, but once you get it, it'll give you a lot more satisfaction and you'll start to enjoying the rest too :)

Thanks ill be using all the heroes then. Does replaying missions during the main game between progress count to levelling up or should I just play through the game in one go?

Could someone answer this? Thanks. I want to know if it makes sense (or even a possibility) to replay missions DURING the main game to level up your characters.

Top Bottom