• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 |OT| Diplomacy has failed

D-e-f-

Banned
Well, there have been some mixed reviews on the game, mentioning issues with controls, bugs, polish, etc. I can overlook those things if they're minor and I still like the game. Just bought Pikmin 3 as well.

Totally forgot that there's a demo on the E shop. Is it a decent demo or did you think it didn't really give an accurate picture of the game?

Thanks

Well, there are mixed reviews. But there has been enough feedback, at least for my taste, to show that most of the complaints come from user error or a simple lack of skill or appreciation. There's a video buy a guy name "saur" (?) linked in this thread multiple times that goes in depth with the drawing mechanic. This is no pick-up-and-play-game. You gotta invest in it. Play the demo, be aware that it'll be overwhelming. Take your time, try out moves. Hop into the Wonderful Missions where you can try out moves in the waiting hub without being bothered by enemies (you could even try out multiplayer gameplay).

mcmmaster

But you gotta work for it: platinum all the operations, beat the hardest difficulty, find all the bottle caps, etc

Are you shitting me? Man I wouldn't have minded those requirements if it didn't want the hardest difficulty done, really would have enjoyed taking on the hardest mode (if it's the one which kamiya can't even beat) first hand with Bayo

Are you shitting me? Man I wouldn't have minded those requirements if it didn't want the hardest difficulty done, really would have enjoyed taking on the hardest mode (if it's the one which kamiya can't even beat) first hand with Bayo

Well, if you can unlock Wonder-Kamiya before that, you can beat it with Kamiya, accomplishing his dream of beating Super-Hard mode!

eXistor

Holy shit this game.

The term "you've barely scratched the surface" was made for this one. I've just played about 3 hours of which not one minute was the same, there is so much going on in terms of variety, it's insane. I've been sucking hard so far (playing on normal), but the game is very forgiving; you can just pick up where you died, it'll just look bad on your score card at the end.

Every enemy has a bunch of tells and you really have to watch and learn to make the most of every situation unless you want your ass handed to you. Controls have absolutely not been an issue so far, almost every mistake there was I feel was due to an error om my part. Maybe a few offscreen projectiles felt a bit cheap, but that's about it.

This is a deep game and it'll take work and skill to get the most out of it, but persevere and you'll love it, guaranteed.

I loved the demo and the game is not disappointing me so far, most reviews I've seen read like they just didn't invest any real time in it or maybe they just didn't want to play it to begin with, but they had to for their review. This game was made with love and care and if you share its vision I just don't see how you couldn't love it. Of course it's still early days; I may come up against some bumps in the road, but it's a smooth drive so far.

mcmmaster

Well, if you can unlock Wonder-Kamiya before that, you can beat it with Kamiya, accomplishing his dream of beating Super-Hard mode!

Hmmm, Wonder-Director doesn't have his own unique unite morph does he? Could have sworn they only said he has a unique character model, hit box or something along those lines that makes him stick out in the crowd

Gambit

Just played for two hours. The game is great, I suck.

But now I have the feeling I am starting to suck less.

I have only progressed to mission 1-B, but have replayed 1-A a couple times. Buying the dodge ability on the second go really helped!

One thing I don't get yet: After evading the falling trucks with a shield (awesome!), how do I extinguish the fire to rescure the citizens?

Torraz

Just played for two hours. The game is great, I suck.

But now I have the feeling I am starting to suck less.

I have only progressed to mission 1-B, but have replayed 1-A a couple times. Buying the dodge ability on the second go really helped!

One thing I don't get yet: After evading the falling trucks with a shield (awesome!), how do I extinguish the fire to rescure the citizens?

That the one where you can cut the chain with the sword morph?

losername

Banned
Having tried to hold off on this until next week when I get paid, I walked past GAME today in my local shopping mall and caved in magnificently.

Great, great game. Nearing the end of the first operation at the moment.

Seik

Banned
So after seeing so much posts of satisfied EuroGAF users, I gave the demo another spin, because I only tried it once and it was with the stylus the whole way.
AND because that's the only freaking way I have to play this damn game. >_<

Playing with the right stick feels SO much better, I always way switching my view to the gamepad when I was going the stylus way, right stick feels like the natural, more accurate and quicker way to do it.

So after seeing so much posts of satisfied EuroGAF users, I gave the demo another spin, because I only tried it once and it was with the stylus the whole way.
AND because that's the only freaking way I have to play this damn game. >_<

Playing with the right stick feels SO much better, I always way switching my view to the gamepad when I was going the stylus way, right stick feels like the natural, more accurate and quicker way to do it.

Why would you use the stylus if you have a finger? My usage tends to be 80% analog (don´t forget to buy the speedliner) 20%touch screen (for bigger morphs or during cutscenes.)

just discovered something that's solved some of my problems with this games boss battles.

in battle, if someone's face flashes on the screen really quickly.
just get that persons weapon out, but don't attack.

I went through the first 3 mission bosses without realising.
i failed all of those situations.
it's made me less angry towards the game, i tried using that persons weapon but i was attacking not just standing there.

NeoRausch

view.php

wait... what kind of menu is that? am I to dumb to find it or does it unlock after the first playtrough?

view.php

wait... what kind of menu is that? am I to dumb to find it or does it unlock after the first playtrough?
It's in MENU below SAVE DATA. Then Bottlecap Collection and there is Secrets.

Btw. It's totally Bayo. One of the requirements to unlock her is to get an evade bonus 10 times. The achievement is called "Nice Try!"

15 Characters to unlock.

Seik

Banned
Why would you use the stylus if you have a finger? My usage tends to be 80% analog (don´t forget to buy the speedliner) 20%touch screen (for bigger morphs or during cutscenes.)

Well, to be fair, it was my first play with the stylus. Still, I prefer using the stick over losing focus for drawing something with my finger.

Being stuck in the land of the dark ages, I'm playing the demo over and over. Yesterday was the first time everything "clicked" even though I'd played the demo a half dozen times prior.

The two things that really helped were playing off TV (playing on the small screen meant that everything happening was in a small field of view, helping my concentration) and "slowing down" my thought process. The game does it's best to pull your attention in a dozen different directions, and my natural instinct was to try and deal with it all at once rapid fire. Instead I found it better to focus on one or two immediate challenges and move down the priority list as needed.

Time still slows down on 101% Mode, so I was off-the-mark about that shit. Like Bayonetta's NSIC, it takes the Hard Mode enemy placement and seems to crank up their HP, damage, and lessen their idle time between attacks

Gambit

The best thing about this game is that I have never played anything quite like it.

That means one has to re-learn everything about the game and start as a total newcomer. It's WONDERFUL!

May the Platinum-Nintendo friendship long continue!

kunonabi

I've been going 100% with the touch screen but I use my left thumb instead of using my right hand. Never even entertained the idea of the stylus. It will be interesting to see if that changes with the full game.

I finish the game, for me this is the best platinum game ever made at now, I see why the budget and the developper team is above bayonetta... One more thing(in spoiler):

There is a lot starfox 64 Vibes, especially in Operation 9c, like the shooting phase to reaching the final boss's location(remind me area 6), like the brain the true form of the geathjerk's leader(like andross in starfox 64) , the escape of the mechanic planet(like the espace of venom after defeat andross), the first boss with two hands and one head (andross again)... Maybe it's just me, but i feel the next starfox by kamiya can become real.

Moze

Banned
I finish the game, for me this is the best platinum game ever made at now, I see why the budget and the developper team is above bayonetta... One more thing(in spoiler):

There is a lot starfox 64 Vibes, especially in Operation 9c, like the shooting phase to reaching the final boss's location(remind me area 6), like the brain the true form of the geathjerk's leader(like andross in starfox 64) , the escape of the mechanic planet(like the espace of venom after defeat andross), the first boss with two hands and one head (andross again)... Maybe it's just me, but i feel the next starfox by kamiya can become real.

Can you confirm how new game plus works? Is it the same as Bayo?

And yeah i agree that this game is amazing. Bayo is one of my favourite games of all time but i am starting to think i may like this game better

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Luca seems like Scrappy Doo in human form, small little annoying fucker who thinks he can take on the world and you always have to rescue him(when in reality you're thinking "fuck this kid, good riddance")

Also, this silhouette is TOTALLY Bayonetta, nobody else has hair like that

But you gotta work for it: platinum all the operations, beat the hardest difficulty, find all the bottle caps, etc

I'm disappointed they're using the old design.

Time still slows down on 101% Mode, so I was off-the-mark about that shit. Like Bayonetta's NSIC, it takes the Hard Mode enemy placement and seems to crank up their HP, damage, and lessen their idle time between attacks

Ha finally called one right over you son

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
finally I've downloaded the demo. I understand why people were confused. despite having tried the demo at various fairs, I have some troubles. they changed and added a lot.
my copy should arrive on Friday

And yeah i agree that this game is amazing. Bayo is one of my favourite games of all time but i am starting to think i may like this game better
Stats and morphs carry over when you start on hard. Like Bayo. You'll need all the stuff anyway.

Yes like the bayonetta one(you can change the difficulty any time you want), one more thing again lol (in spoiler):

You can unlock tons of playable characters, but you need to do some things to get them, like the kid icarus accomplishement. I guess the last character (you have the silhouettes to represent them) is bayonetta, if i've read exactly, one of the condition is to finish the game in the hardest difficulty x_x lol.

schlew

In anticipation for the game to come out in NA, I decided to upload Kamiya's shirt from that Iwata Asks that I worked on to RedBubble. I figured I'd keep it up there for two weeks or so if anyone is interested.

TO BE PERFECTLY CLEAR: I don't make anything off of this. At all. I just made this available after I saw how many people were posting how much they wanted Kamiya's shirt in that thread.

Thanks for doing this, I ordered mine in blue.

I tried asking a friend in Japan to get me one, but he wants the Wind Waker shirt, so I was out of luck.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
How can you not love this guy???????????? :D

zlCfzRGgKZ0rRVwOFM

I want that green tee, do they ship to EU?

I tell you what I prefer about this game compared to Bayonetta, is there's a Retry option in the pause menu. That's gonna make Platinums attempts a LOT less time consuming than the old "fuck, Grace and Glory tagged me *pause, go to title screen, wait for that to load, press start, go to continue game, wait for that to load, finally get back in game and run to the verse*" method

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I tell you what I prefer about this game compared to Bayonetta, is there's a Retry option in the pause menu. That's gonna make Platinums attempts a LOT less time consuming than the old "fuck, Grace and Glory tagged me *pause, go to title screen, wait for that to load, press start, go to continue game, wait for that to load, finally get back in game and run to the verse*" method

You say that like that's the only method to get them though...

Not like the game was Rising where you get tagged by offscreen things you have no way of avoiding reliably

but yeah it'll make it easier for the people who just want to do it once for the unlocks I guess

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
My first hour on it, OMG so amazing! 0_o

It looks absolutely gorgeous Off TV on the GamePad. GORGEOUS.

And that music :)))

Noob question, I have at least 20 choices to spend my money in Wonderful Mart, what's your recommendation?

NIN90

Retry still takes a long ass time, though. Speaking of Bayonetta, is there something like the quick cutscene skip (Back + RT) from that game in here?
Also, how would I go about increasing my Combo score? I get plats and golds pretty consistently in Time and Damage but I end up with silver in Combo all the time.

Noob question, I have at least 20 choices to spend my money in Wonderful Mart, what's your recommendation?

Block, Dodge, Speed Liner, that one upgrade that lets you make your weapon bigger by holding A

And if you are like me and don't ever use the one-time items for health and such, try to amass 30 of each of the vegetables. You can mix them into a gold credit card which grants you a free unlock in the shop.

Still near the beginning? Unite Guts (Shield), Unite Spring (Dodge), Unite Rocket can help you reach some key items that's high up in areas (Hero's heart pieces and such).

I'd say Speed Charge is one of the most essential Custom Blocks. Effectively the VFX Turbo Charger from Viewtiful Joke, this game is all about meter management, it's important to have something that refills it as fast as possible.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Retry still takes a long ass time, though. Speaking of Bayonetta, is there something like the quick cutscene skip (Back + RT) from that game in here?
Also, how would I go about increasing my Combo score? I get plats and golds pretty consistently in Time and Damage but I end up with silver in Combo all the time.

Consecutive hits and actions yield points, such as unite morph chain combos, attacking stunned enemies, dodging attacks at the last second, blocking moves successfully with the jelly.(watch someone play on youtube and just watch the points bar and see what adds what. Like Bayonetta point values are accompanies by easy to read symbols so you know what gives what.)

While Unite Morphs and techniques raise the multiplier. Individual attacks seem to raise it more than consecutive chain hits with fist or sword. (I first thought using the same morph would yield diminishing returns, but Green's individual gun shots seem to consistently raise the multiplier a significant amount. It just doesn't yield very many points because they're all single shots or individual hits.)

So basically your goal for combo rank is to raise both as high as possible. This means you want to consecutively and consistently perform actions without getting hit to keep the points adding up while consistently changing unite morphs and using their techniques in combat to continue to raise the multiplier.

If you wait too long without taking an action or get hit, they'll both compound and add to score, so you want them to be as high as possible before that for the biggest bonuses

NeoRausch

It's in MENU below SAVE DATA. Then Bottlecap Collection and there is Secrets.

Btw. It's totally Bayo. One of the requirements to unlock her is to get an evade bonus 10 times. The achievement is called "Nice Try!"

15 Characters to unlock.

nope can't find the secrets menu in the bottle cap menu....

... I'm blind.

I'd say Speed Charge is one of the most essential Custom Blocks. Effectively the VFX Turbo Charger from Viewtiful Joke, this game is all about meter management, it's important to have something that refills it as fast as possible.
Yeah, absolutely. Hero Counter is good as well if you get the timing down.

Edith: Press R or L in the bottlecap collection tap.

Sadist

*finds Wonder Cheerleader*

Uses pom poms, name is Sylvianne, light blue dress... I finally got my VJ sequel ;_;

Joe has to be in this game too right???

Top Bottom