• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful World of Switch Joy Con Mods

I did this as you can see couple posts above and it feels 100% same as original (as long as you do it properly). There is a youtube tutorial to do this. And you can buy colored new 3ds buttons quite cheaply from aliexpress.

Did you follow any video tutorial or anything? I would love to have these buttons

Chairhome

Not much of a "mod" but I ordered blue joycon replacement shells and a blue grip off of AliExpress

Definitely not as easy as I thought it would be to swap them around. Nintendo really packed a lot of stuff into these!
Could you post a link to the shells? I found two different ones that I'm not sure are the correct ones. Thanks in advance.
I will probably put some conductive foam in there to fix the signal problem as well...

Meohsix

How hard is it to take it apart? I would love to try swapping the buttons myself.

Opening the joycon is the easy part. The 3DS buttons DO NOT just fit into the joycon. You have to do major modifications to the buttons to get them to work. Check YouTube there's some video tutorials.

Meohsix

Could you post a link to the shells? I found two different ones that I'm not sure are the correct ones. Thanks in advance.
I will probably put some conductive foam in there to fix the signal problem as well...
Here's the listing / seller I bought mine from

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Rep...do-Switch-Joy-Con-Controller/32803983197.html

And the grip if you're interested.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Lef...id=8c34f5be-5666-4667-be3e-9b501d43c9e1&tpp=1

It took about a month to get to me from China.

Kyonashi

Give me Spice Orange or give me death.

spice.jpg

watershed

Banned
These custom joycon look awesome. I've never invested in console mods before though. I like the grey & black basic Switch.

EricB

And they have arrived. I ended up going with a different SNES paint job from XLTeam rather than the set from Doyle's Customs. These weren't glossy and were a bit more accurate to the original SNES
osxVNF9l.jpg

nahEoVTl.jpg

Some people seem pretty down on the American SNES aesthetics, but having just had to sell off/throw out a bunch of my childhood stuff before heading back to Korea, I am happy to have something that brings me back to that place and time. The paint job itself is fantastic and looks completely professional. I'm very happy with how they look, particularly when detached from the console.

I bought the NES color scheme. Not proud of myself of dropping $200 on them, but I had to do it.

They're supposed to ship in another 10 days or so, I'll update with pics when they arrive.

dickroach

And they have arrived. I ended up going with a different SNES paint job from XLTeam rather than the set from Doyle's Customs. These weren't glossy and were a bit more accurate to the original SNES
osxVNF9l.jpg

nahEoVTl.jpg

Some people seem pretty down on the American SNES aesthetics, but having just had to sell off/throw out a bunch of my childhood stuff before heading back to Korea, I am happy to have something that brings me back to that place and time. The paint job itself is fantastic and looks completely professional. I'm very happy with how they look, particularly when detached from the console.

that looks so good........ except for those arrows on the left joycon. whoever thought that was a good idea was drunk

robot

Think i might get my painted for the simple fact that 85+ hours of Zelda + clammy hands wore out the matte finish around the buttons.

Tain

you're gonna call the yellow ugly and then carry on and post that monstrous Super Nintendo Switch grip? smh

Coketruck

As much as I love the SNES ones in EricB's post, there's no way on God's green earth I'm paying that much for another set of controllers. I'll just wait and hope for an official Nintendo release of something similar.

I mean, they have to release retro Joy-Cons at some point in the future, right?

DESTROYA

Love the colored buttons mod but lack the skills or time to do myself, you know at some point NINTENDO will make a set themselves or be fools not to, they would make a killing.

My wants are quite simple.

Code:
[IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CvVZCndVUAA0WC8.jpg[/IMG]

I photoshopped this! This was my girlfriend's dream switch until she gave up waiting and ordered metallic pink Joy cons from colorware instead omg

I'll post those in this thread when we get them!

EricB

My second set has arrived:

1KPbPuMl.jpg

I had to balance out my nostalgia for the American SNES theme with my longstanding desire to actually have a Super Famicom.

Jgvk4JQl.jpg

Like the SNES set, these look better disconnected from the actual unit (unless I get that painted as well...), but they still strike a chord in me.

A5GcYYml.jpg

I'm done blowing cash (gained from selling my childhood videogame collection mind you) on Joy Cons for the summer, but eventually I'd like to get something that looks better on the Switch itself. That Gamecube set looks pretty sweet...

olnq7QOl.jpg

Very pricy, but the design is too awesome and the NES was my first console. Even Nintendo could not design a better looking NES Joy-Con. So I ordered it up as a birthday gift to myself. I love the red buttons on the right and that the left buttons looks like a D-Pad. That said, Nintendo needs to make a D-Pad ladden Joy-Con like ASAP.

One day I will use these NES Joy-Cons to play Super Mario Bros. 3 on Switch's Virtually Console. That will be an awesome day indeed.

Top Bottom