• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The World Ends With You - Solo Remix (iPhone/iPad) announced [Out Now]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The most depressing part of the situation is that I do think Square Enix (and also that Twitter guy) really thought fans would have been really happy to see this iOS version! "TWEWY comeback with redrawn graphics and new tracks! Fans will cry out of joy!".

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Yeah, this is not the sequel I was hoping for, but it's still cool.

I'll definitely pick it up.

Why does it seem like they spend more effort on this than that shit looking dimensions port?

I'm mildly curious how this even works for battles. There seems to be a new mini game thing for chain attacks? Is there no more pucks?

How does boss battles work?

God damn... i might buy this out of curiosity.

The most depressing part of the situation is that I do think Square Enix (and also that Twitter guy) really thought fans would have been really happy to see this iOS version! "TWEWY comeback with redrawn graphics and new tracks! Fans will cry out of joy!".

No, I'm pretty sure the most depressing part is the lack of a TWEWY2. =P

Goli

Why does it seem like they spend more effort on this than that shit looking dimensions port?

I'm mildly curious how this even works for battles. There seems to be a new mini game thing for chain attacks? Is there no more pucks?

How does boss battles work?

God damn... i might buy this out of curiosity.
Nomura.

Lol. Demos are for hipsters! Real men go in with no protection! :(

Not only is it a joke for "core" gamers like you and me, but this clearly clashes with the business aims of releasing on iOS: reaching a casual fanbase. Even if TWEWY miraculously charged up the top sales/downloads charts in its first two days and generated slightly enough hype to get casual gamers to mosey over and check out the app description they simply ARE NOT going to download it without video or a demo.

So, given
a) the overwhelmingly negative reception by core fans
b) the impossibility of a casual audience

There's no way the game is going to sell well. Since it won't sell well, it won't raise awareness of the brand appreciably.

Assuming that SE wants to use the IP down the road, for a 3DS sequel or something like that, the internal argument was probably something like: put out a re-release that basically makes its money back on dev costs and remind people the IP exists (i.e. core gamers). Problem is, with SE's bungling PR approach of using a 7 day countdown for a re-hash, they've basically universally angered existing fans of the series (including myself). Almost all the comments on the hachima thread for this announcement are negative.

And it's not like they didn't have prior notice either. Anyone could have seen the backlash from the Megaman X iOS port and figured it would be wise to alter their PR approach.

But they didn't. And from where I'm standing it seems like everything in their marketing approach makes no headway at all and instead backfires on whatever objectives they could have.

Mario007

I really don't see why everyone hates this so bad. It looks pretty, it's giving an exceptional game another chance to see sales, it was almost certainly cheap and did nothing to take away the chance of a sequel. It seems like something no one could be upset about, but alas.

People just got too hyped up and now are disappointed (which is partly SE's fault). Also the fact the main attraction of the game, ya know being made to be played on 2 screens, is now gone and you have to play on crappy 3.5 inch screen.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
It's funny how this countdown and that guy on twitter trolled everyone. Next up, a storm gathers.

Takao

Banned
I would have been ever so slightly less disappointed if it was for android. As it is, I'm boycotting all current and future iOS devices.

For curiosity's sake I buy it if it was on PlayStation Mobile. It's a shame Square Enix hasn't announced any support for that yet.

Cloudy

Banned
A few questions:

- Is this game (original) any good?
- Why are folks so mad?
- Couldn't they have made it split screen on ipad?

Conan-san

imgLarge23.jpg

ERx0F.jpg

You know, I think I can buy "redrawn." An upscale/filter wouldn't look nearly as clean, and there's more detail in the higher res sprites.
Actauly, that doesn't look too bad. But how much I notice that on my Touch 4 is a good question.

El Sloth

Banned
Having your partner on the same field is an interesting solution to the two screen battles.

Here's hoping if this sells well then TWEWY 2 gets greenlit.

Mairu

theworldsendswithyouaedhd.jpg

not my screenshot... So did they just add an iPad version just so they could charge a higher price point? As angry as people are about it being just an iOS port, not being a universal app is really lame... especially if there's nothing different about them.

lulz @ the price. Well, I still hope the game is fun with this new 'one screen' solution. Filtered sprites look weird but the music will probably be sogood.gif. I wonder how they'll handle some of the more DS-specific pins or if they'll be replaced with new pins altogether.

ampere

Oh Square-Enix : /

And why do they make such expensive iOS games, if they want to charge a premium they should make them for 3DS/Vita.

heringer

People just got too hyped up and now are disappointed (which is partly SE's fault). Also the fact the main attraction of the game, ya know being made to be played on 2 screens, is now gone and you have to play on crappy 3.5 inch screen.

Unless you play it on iPad.

Honestly though, it's not like the dual screen gimmicky is what made people love the game. At least I don't remember being particularly impressed with it. A one screen remix version could work just fine. Guess well know for sure soon enough.

not my screenshot... So did they just add an iPad version just so they could charge a higher price point? As angry as people are about it being just an iOS port, not being a universal app is really lame... especially if there's nothing different about them.

Oh, you're not familiar with SE iOS games?

raven777

I am still deciding which version to buy.

iPad would be better choice with for battle with its bigger screen, but the its not retina-supported so it wouldn't look as pretty.

heringer

Yeah, this is what pisses me off about SE iOS games too. If you have to release two versions, why not at least make the pricier version Universal? smh

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Sweet. I never got around to playing this when I had a DS. Hopefully the iPhone version is handled well.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
on one hand, it looks great in high resolution. that really does wonders for this game's art.

on the other hand, fuck. but who didn't see that coming, right?

Honestly though, it's not like the dual screen gimmicky is what made people love the game. At least I don't remember being particularly impressed with it. A one screen remix version could work just fine. Guess well know for sure soon enough.

It definitely contributes, at the very least.

Mario007

True (on the iPad part) but putting it out on iPhone is a bit silly.

The two screen thing was HUGE in the game, especially when it came to the bosses. Hell, the fight with the Iron Maiden pretty much depended on the two screens. It also complimented the the theme of the game, where Neku had to trust his partners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom