• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The World's Largest Indoor Arena - Philippine Arena

Status
Not open for further replies.

bakedpony

The Philippine Arena has officially been opened. It has a capacity of 55,000 and is owned by Iglesia ni Cristo (INC).

Philippine-Arena-INC.jpg

Philippine_Arena_L1.jpg

66eUkmZ.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Finally we have an arena for the mega rock bands. Tour here U2!!!

That cost $213 million.

I saw a Vice documentary about poverty stricken Filipinos living in a cemetery recently, really shocked me. The money for that stadium could probably house and feed thousands of people.

Kinyou

Is there some definition of Arena that differs from Stadium that I am not aware of?
Apparently it's about the kind of sports they're used for. Arenas are for typical indoor sports like ice hockey, while a stadium is for typical outdoor sports like football.

When I think about it, it might also just be that a stadium has a grass surface while an arena doesn't.

Quick

Banned
Looks like it can host hockey (and basketball, of course) games. Nice.

Now, being owned by a church group, I'm assuming it'll mainly be for their gatherings.

Apparently it's about the kind of sports they're used for. Arenas are for typical indoor sports like ice hockey, while a stadium is for typical outdoor sports like football.

When I think about it, it might also just be that a stadium has a grass surface while an arena doesn't.

Then my point about places like the Georgia Dome or the Super Dome would still stand, they have a concrete base.

bakedpony

INC is a religious group in the Philippines. Is this like a semi church or something?

While they apparently created the structure for their upcoming anniversary, they said that they will let other events such as sports, concerts, etc... take place there. So no it will not act merely as a church.

Is there some definition of Arena that differs from Stadium that I am not aware of?

It's the largest "domed" arena, so I guess that means it's not open air.

That cost $213 million.

I saw a Vice documentary about poverty stricken Filipinos living in a cemetery recently, really shocked me. The money for that stadium could probably house and feed thousands of people.

49ers new stadium cost a billion.

I saw a documentary about poverty and homelessness in San Francisco. The money for that stadium could probably house and feed thousands of people

kagete

INC are the Mormons of the Philippines in a county that's predominantly Catholic.

Their yearly anniversaries are always legendary in their scale and effectively render several major highways unpassable with the sheer number of attendees. Everyone is invited (even non church-members) and there are several tons of food served, as well as free medical and dental checkups and onsite-treatments, and no one is turned away. It's actually great for Metro Manila that they have this dedicated venue and that traffic can hopefully be managed better (well maybe not this year, but maybe they can learn from it now to apply for future years).

paolo11

Manalo (the founder of Iglesia Ni Cristo ) has a lot of money. I tell you that.

INC has a lot of branches in the US. My Uncle attends on one of their services.

Quick

Banned
According to Wikipedia, 55,000 is the new record for largest indoor arena capacity.

Populous designed the arena, too.

An arena from my understanding cant have a retractable roof, and must always be enclosed. So I guess thats how it wins the title.

So, once again, that would include your domed stadiums in that listing.

I really can't see any difference between an arena and a domed stadium.
There's countless domes that have a seating capacity almost double what that place does.

So, once again, that would include your domed stadiums in that listing.

I really can't see any difference between an arena and a domed stadium.
There's countless domes that have a seating capacity almost double what that place does.

But those are mostly football stadiums :p

What about the old Chicago Stadium where the Blackhawks and Bulls played.......was it an arena or a stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom