• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Xbox Controller NOT having a RECHARGABLE BATTERY has to be the WORST ANTI-CONSUMER feature of last-gen (Phil Spencer, GET IN THE FU**ING THREAD!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

demigod

I'm well aware that, with tools and a video tutorial, you can swap the DS4 battery.

Why should you need to, though? Since Sony doesn't provide a built-in way to freely change their batteries, they are the ones being anti consumer in this situation.

So now you admit that you lied to make a point.

Yeah anti-consumer. You should bring that up with Apple, Samsung, Google or whatever smartphone you’re using. Goodluck trying to change the battery for Iphone by yourself.

TFW the consensus on GAF is not going in favor of PlayStation and I have no choice but to fight them all.
01c36acb87daa7334464741c6f2e7b03.gif

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So why they charge the same as the competition for a controller with no battery, no gyro sensor, no touch pad, no share button (currently) and then $15 minimum extra for their charge kit.

That’s $75 quid for a controller with still no superior gyro aiming (which most games don’t use anyhow, sadly).

:messenger_winking_tongue:

Moogle11

Banned
Removable rechargeable batteries are better than a built-in one. I won’t buy an Elite 2 because of that. If the battery goes bad you have to replace the whole controller.

Yep.

Plus, I have a bunch of Eneloop rechargeable batteries and prefer just swapping those in vs playing plugged into a charger or having a second controller just to swap to when I don’t need it otherwise as I do zero local MP gaming.

That said, it’s not that big a deal and PS4 has been my most played platform by far this generation even with the poor DS 4 battery life. I just shelled out for a second one and a charging dock so I can just rotate.

Nvzman

This thread has it all wrong. As someone who owns a pro controller, xbox one controller, and dualshock 4, the clear winner is the Pro Controller.
Seriously, that thing lasts me like 40+ hours on full battery, feels great, has amazing buttons, clicky triggers/bumpers, great grips. IMO Pro Controller might be my favorite controller ever made. Best part is, unlike the ds4 you don't have to completely tear apart the controller just to replace the battery, its only like 4 screws away from being changed. And unlike the Xbox One controller no double a batteries.

Can we all at least agree to be happy having a generation where every console has good controllers?

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
You can’t replace the Elite 2 battery? That’s some bad design.
Difference is that Elite 2 lasts up to 40 hours and is usb c so it also charges quick.

For me i don't mind either for the amount of gaming i do these days. My son uses rechargeable Duracell that we have had since 2013 and they still last easily 30+ hours now of a 2 hour charge.

LOLCats

Banned
Who plays for 5 hours straight, seriously?
With you i can never tell what is sarcasm, especially when you say seriously.

but seriously when i get into a game I've easily had 10 hour sessions in an RPG. But surely i take short breaks and can charge the ds4, while running to get a coffee or making a sandwich. But in reality, i just have a second controller charging.

Last edited:

Pallas

Spoken like a clueless fanboy.

Wouldn’t that void any warranties though? I realize this is mainly a troll thread(a funny one too) but it would be nice if you could easily replace the built in battery without taking the controller apart. That would be an immediate Improvement over the current DS4. Not saying go with AA batteries but it would be great if you could just pop it out and insert a replacement in secinds

Sure, Jane.

You and your little buddies just repeating the same delusional rationalizations don't make the consensus any different: Xbox rips its customers off from the AA batteries to mandatory Xbox Live for basic primitive online services.

charge and play kit vs replacing a DS4 if the battery dies. Unless you just want to open the controller up and put in any lithium battery. Read my post above your quote, I think that’s something Sony could do to improve their controller.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Removable rechargeable batteries are better than a built-in one. I won’t buy an Elite 2 because of that. If the battery goes bad you have to replace the whole controller.

You can replace them.

It takes only 10 minutes. And you can put a larger longer lasting battery in it for less than $10-$12.

Never had to replace one, but glad they are improving it next gen.

Last edited:

JAMMA

Last warning for console wars
Still use my play and charge kit in my spare controller that I purchased day one and used until the elite 2 came out. The 40 hour life of the elite 2 is great, but I do dislike that it’s internal and *not user serviceable* like a DS/3DS. Batteries lose capacity over time. No idea what capacity my play and charge kit is currently at, but it doesn’t feel like the 30 hours that it was originally rated at.

I also like that if a battery needs a recharge I’d rather toss on some AA batteries and game on that play tethered while recharging

Last edited:

BlackTron

This thread really amused me because there have been controllers that had everything else I wanted, and passed on because it came with a built-in battery. That is the death knell of controllers for me. Good thing the Wavebird didn't come with one or I would not still be using four of them.

Anyway, this is bad news. I guess I won't be buying the next Xbox controller.

Somoza

I am more a "wired" kinda guy. I play half meter from my monitor so i prefer wired pads so i dont have to worry about batteries.

That said, you know what is bs? Pads where in order to change the battery when its dying and it doesnt charge correctly you have to dissasemble the pad. Same with portables like the vita or the switch. I learned the hard way that keeping the battery on a portable (in my case, a psp) is a bad idea if you are not going to use it for a long time. And i am afraid a bad thing might happen to my portables in a few years.

meirl

Banned
OP, your threads are getting worse and worse. Wonder if you would be allowed to create so many stupid threads if they were anti PlayStation and not anti Xbox

xboxonebatteries.jpg
How do Xbox Players convince themselves that Microsoft were doing them a favor by NOT adding a built-in rechargeable battery inside their self-proclaimed "bEsT gAmInG cOnTrOlLeR"???

Phil Spencer should be ashamed of his brand and team for doing what they did and should IMMEDIATELY rectify this awful ANTI-CONSUMER and ANTI-ENVIRONMENTAL feature. The first exclusive I want to see in E3 isn't the Initiative's upcoming AAAAAAAAA game, but rather the exclusive feature of having a built-in RECHARGEABLE battery that's zero carbon-emission.

PlayStation has provided its customers with amazing built-in batteries that not only are rechargable but also DON'T LAST FOR 5+ hours to tackle the never-ending issue of GAMING ADDICTION. We need more brands to follow the moral and philosophical pillars of PlayStation in order to become better gamers and consumers in the future.

GOD BLESS AMERICA AND GOD BLESS PLAYSTATION
D8F9zKP.png

I like whichever battery explodes. So i can sue and get a nice cash settlement.

Then i'll have a Terminator arm with super reflexes.

Business

I don’t care much either way tbh although I prefer the integrated solution.

On one hand, AA batteries are cheap as hell these days, yet on the other I have never had an integrated battery failing on me plus what so many seem to miss here, you can still change the battery of a DS4 if you need to.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom