• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The xx - I See You |OT| Say Something Loving - January 13th

Status
Not open for further replies.
After the first listen through I'm most drawn to A Violent Noise and Performance, although I suspect that's probably because they sound most like earlier xx, and Test Me which is a beautiful closing track. Whole thing seems great though. Unfortunately can't give it the attention it deserves as I need to get to bed but I'm looking forward to spending a lot more time with it tomorrow.

parasight

Was so disappointed in Coexist. But so far there's already a bunch of tracks I can't wait to revisit after this first playthrough.

CoolOff

I'm so glad they've evolved their sound substantially on this one. Coexist was good, but a bit too similar to the debut. This feels like it incorporates stuff Jamie XX has done on his own in a good way.

I don't really have any significant standouts at this point, it's all 8-9/10-level.

Blader

Really like it. I don't think it tops the first album for me (yet anyway), but this is what I wanted from Coexist: a more dynamic sound, and a clear evolution from their original stuff rather than more of the same (and arguably, in Coexist's case, a duller version of more of the same). Like others have pointed, I think Jame had a much bigger influence on the sound of this album, and it paid off.

Seeing them at Boston Calling in May, can't wait!

Starviper

Really enjoying the new album. Don't think it is my favorite either but it does have a good couple stand out tracks I could listen to on repeat. Can't wait to see them live later this year :)

I'm really digging this album and yep, it's an evolution of their sound from self-titled & Coexist. I love that they let Jamie loose with the beats and though the album has a bit more poppy song versus the dreamy, minimalist sound of xx/Coexist, I really love it.

Like all of the songs but I'm tipping my hat to A Violent Noise & I Dare You so far.

Stasis

This is the best music day. I've only listened to the xx so far but it's wonderful. I can't wait to dig into SOHN and Bonobo.

Let's go all out. Drop new albums of Thievery Corporation, Jens Buchert, Lemongrass, Tycho, Helios and Lab's Cloud. That's all I can think of now. List more!

Alpende

You can clearly hear Jamie xx's influence even more and I think that's great. I listened to it once and thought it was pretty good. Have to listen to it more though.

h1nch

Rolled through 'I See You', freaking love it. Now about to start listening to the new Bonobo album.

I need to be better about anticipating upcoming album releases. These two blindsided me.

Fjordson

Just starting it, pretty good so far.

Say Something Loving is fire. When that chorus hits...

yFs3Tm.gif

I didn't really like On Hold when I first heard it. I didn't like the sampling in that song but the whole album is pretty great. I've warmed up a little to On Hold too. My favorite song right now is I Dare You.

TripOpt55

Loving it after a couple listens. Will be back with favorites after I listen some more.

Got 3 tickets for the Philly show already. Bought them on presale.

Can't wait for the album. This band hasn't missed with me yet. And they've put on the greatest live show I've ever seen.

Wow! High praise. I was just going to ask how they were live as I was thinking about grabbing a ticket coincidentally for the Philly show too! Going to look into it for sure.

gdt

Loving it after a couple listens. Will be back with favorites after I listen some more.

Wow! High praise. I was just going to ask how they were live as I was thinking about grabbing a ticket coincidentally for the Philly show too! Going to look into it for sure.

They change up the songs a lot and mash stuff up. And Jaime does these little interludes bridging tracks that will bring the house down. And you can beat you'll hear some solo Jaime XX stuff too.

Lima

They change up the songs a lot and mash stuff up. And Jaime does these little interludes bridging tracks that will bring the house down. And you can beat you'll hear some solo Jaime XX stuff too.

Yeah their live show is amazing...when they actually come out after letting you wait forever. At least the two times I've seen them live and I've read this quite a bit online too. Last time it took around 50 minutes for them to start playing after the support act was done.

gdt

Yeah their live show is amazing...when they actually come out after letting you wait forever. At least the two times I've seen them live and I've read this quite a bit online too. Last time it took around 50 minutes for them to start playing after the support act was done.
Yeahhhhh. Had the same experience. Oh well. They set up this big curtain and tons of equipment and it took awhile.

Servbot24

Banned
Hmm. Listening to it felt fairly pleasant, but now it's over and I've already pretty much forgotten what I just listened to. I'll have to give it another try.

After listening to it a few times on Spotify, I have to say I really like it. Ordered the physical CD as well.

Shame I waited too long to snag tickets for their concert in Brussels.

Okay, Dangerous is one great opener. I still think Intro is their best opener, but do like Dangerous over Angels.

...I also like Dangerous a bit more than Jamie xx's Gosh.

Mau ®

When I was 4 songs in I knew this was their best album yet.

By the time it finished I still felt that way. The whole record is perfect.

Lima

Mau ®;228364769 said:
When I was 4 songs in I knew this was their best album yet.

By the time it finished I still felt that way. The whole record is perfect.

Agreed. It's one of those rare records that I can listen from start to finish without wanting to skip a single song.

GhaleonEB

Got tickets (well, ticket) to their April show in Portland. Hyped.

First listen through the album, my though is it's basically perfect. Every song is good, but on first pass, the one that stuck with me the most was Replica. There's a lot of variation across the album, but it still feels very cohesive.

Oliver and Romy have really grown as vocalists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom