• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The xx - I See You |OT| Say Something Loving - January 13th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mau ®

This isn't really that dance imo. It's not as striking a sonic change as, say, Grimes Art Angels. That WAS dance. This is more vibey, if anything. It borrows a lot from In Colour but that was expected and welcomed.

DrBo42

Mau ®;228368189 said:
This isn't really that dance imo. It's not as striking a sonic change as, say, Grimes Art Angels. That WAS dance. This is more vibey, if anything. It borrows a lot from In Colour but that was expected and welcomed.

I prefer my sad bastard music slow tyvm. It's like when King of Limbs came out, but this band is far less talented.

Replica is the best song on here I agree with the majority.

see5harp

Their range is pretty much the same as it's ever been. Some more ooohs and ahhhs on the hooks here and there. I think it's just the overall sound of the music that'll add more enjoyment to their live show. Sorta like when beach house added a drummer to their live setup. Might as well let Jamie do something other than live drumming on an npc.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I have it a listen, and it didn't do much for me. The lyrics were a tad distracting. I'll give it another shot on the train over the next few days.

GhaleonEB

They definitely sound more confident but their singing is literally the same in every song since their debut lol

That's just hyperbole. Romy in Angels vs. On Hold is a really stark contrast, as one example. Maybe just in approach, but there's a lot of range there and certainly not "literally the same".

I really enjoy the first 5 songs but everything after blobs together. It's the most I've listened to them since their debut which says something.

How anyone can speak ill of an album that opens with a brass section is beyond me.

Seriously, "dance" influences doesn't mean literally making EDM tracks. This is a band discovering funk and soul influences by way of electronica, if anything. Except for A Violent Noise, which is so trance it could be remixed and played by a DJ with a Dutch name.

Picked up a physical copy and I now understand why the digital cover art is the way it is (a fuzzy reflection of the band can be seen)...

46F1C0B8-19A9-4A63-9FBC-8487E90C943D_zpsn4gpj773.jpg

The neat detail was the mirrored message on the rear of the booklet.

aeolustl

Ok. It took me a very long while to understand it's them on the album cover.

I have always thought it's some weird blue flame or something

So far I'm really digging "I Dare You", but other than that no other song has grabbed me. Will still listen on repeat several times to make a final judgement.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Good album, but Bonobo's new album wins the war of last week's releases. Damn that one is great.

big ander

After one listen: pretty, pretty great. As much as I loved "On Hold" I was worried Jamie's style would overwhelm the band's sound. Fortunately it's incorporated really well, the record sounds like a band in sync with each other. Jamie's samples and programming support Romy and Oliver's vocals and guitar and bass wonderfully, each element has space. I'd even say that, while there are now prominent samples and brass and strings and garage drums, this isn't markedly dancier than the debut. Think of "Basic Space" or "VCR" or "Islands" or "Heart Skipped a Beat", those songs all have a lot of groove even if they're comparatively instrumentally pared down. (EDIT: after listening to a playlist of xx and I See You I'm walking this back; this is absolutely more dance-y than the debut. Still, that's always been a part of their music, they came out of the gate claiming R&B influences after all.)

I liked Coexist a fair amount but this feels closer in spirit to xx, and like a more natural artistic growth. Their reputation for being downer music is way overblown, most of their songs are ultimately positive, but I See You is undeniably brighter and more joyous. "Dangerous" and "I Dare You" and of course "On Hold" are all brilliant. still the best song is the most emotionally fraught on the record: "Test Me" is a stupendous closer.

Also a big fan of "A Violent Noise" and "Performance". Only song I dislike is "Lips", but maybe it'll be a grower.

Ok. It took me a very long while to understand it's them on the album cover.

I have always thought it's some weird blue flame or something

I thought it was something abstract too initially when I first saw it digitally. Then when I got the physical copy and saw myself in a fuzzy reflection, it clicked that it was 3 people looking at it the cover. Since the band itself consists of 3 people, I figured it had to be them.

It has taken a few listens but the album has really started to click for me.

Something about the record just feels really intimate and personal while not sounding one dimensional.

This might be my favorite XX record!

After one listen: pretty, pretty great. As much as I loved "On Hold" I was worried Jamie's style would overwhelm the band's sound. Fortunately it's incorporated really well, the record sounds like a band in sync with each other. Jamie's samples and programming support Romy and Oliver's vocals and guitar and bass wonderfully, each element has space. I'd even say that, while there are now prominent samples and brass and strings and garage drums, this isn't markedly dancier than the debut. Think of "Basic Space" or "VCR" or "Islands" or "Heart Skipped a Beat", those songs all have a lot of groove even if they're comparatively instrumentally pared down. (EDIT: after listening to a playlist of xx and I See You I'm walking this back; this is absolutely more dance-y than the debut. Still, that's always been a part of their music, they came out of the gate claiming R&B influences after all.)

I liked Coexist a fair amount but this feels closer in spirit to xx, and like a more natural artistic growth. Their reputation for being downer music is way overblown, most of their songs are ultimately positive, but I See You is undeniably brighter and more joyous. "Dangerous" and "I Dare You" and of course "On Hold" are all brilliant. still the best song is the most emotionally fraught on the record: "Test Me" is a stupendous closer.

Also a big fan of "A Violent Noise" and "Performance". Only song I dislike is "Lips", but maybe it'll be a grower.

Heh, "Lips" is my favorite track.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Idk wtf to think

I liked their debut. Felt their follow up was kinda samey and sorta bored me. Then felt Jamie's solo record was dope as fuck.

This is nice in that it's definitely a different sound for the band vs the first couple records. That being said I feel like Jamie's solo dance record did the whole vibey thing better?

Milchjon

Absolutely adore the sound/production of A Violent Noise.

No idea what these small distortions of what I assume is the guitar at the end of each line of the chorus and solo are called, but I can't get enough of them.

Addicted to this song.

Blader

What really strikes me about this album is how much better Romy and Oliver's vocals have gotten. Not that they were ever bad in the first place, but they just sound like much stronger singers now, with a better grip on their range and inflections.

Daffy Duck

This album is very good.

Really enjoying it.

Absolutely adore the sound/production of A Violent Noise.

No idea what these small distortions of what I assume is the guitar at the end of each line of the chorus and solo are called, but I can't get enough of them.

Addicted to this song.

Same here, my joint favourite song with On Hold.

Pleasently surprised with this album after not being too hot on the singles initially. The more poppy songs feel well placed within the album as a whole, and the sound feels more like an expansion of their old sound than a total rejection of it.

Standouts so far:
-say something loving
-lips
-replica
-test me

big ander

Getting 'round to the bonuses, "Seasons Run" is a logical extra. Pretty good but wouldn't really fit anywhere in the album.
"Naive" is excellent though. Love the symmetry of Jamie sampling a Drake song from an album that famously sampled a Jamie/Gil song, that sample goes perfectly with the lyrics, and Oliver's vocals on it especially are real nice.

heh I know I'm the only person who doesn't like Lips but I'll nonetheless say I wish SSL had been the track they played for the show, not a web extra. Romy and Oliver's playing on that song is fantastic.
With repeat listens SSL and Brave For You have gotten better and better—while my love for A Violent Noise and Performance has diminished some, they're great in the context of the album but don't work out of sequence as well.

heh I know I'm the only person who doesn't like Lips but I'll nonetheless say I wish SSL had been the track they played for the show, not a web extra. Romy and Oliver's playing on that song is fantastic.
With repeat listens SSL and Brave For You have gotten better and better—while my love for A Violent Noise and Performance has diminished some, they're great in the context of the album but don't work out of sequence as well.

Yeah violent noise and performance art my least favorites on the album persobally. Thankfully they are sandwiched between two of the best.

big ander

Yeah violent noise and performance art my least favorites on the album persobally. Thankfully they are sandwiched between two of the best.

I get it, they work great as texture pieces but having them back to back is an odd choice, makes for an eight minute chunk in the middle of the album that's very diffuse. I feel like if Performance were after Brave for You or something it'd flow better

corn_fest

Same, I actually have them unsaved in Spotify. They just kill the flow of the album for me. Feel like holdovers from xx or Coexist while the rest of the album is forging ahead into new territory.

After listening on repeat all weekend and during my commute, I too admit that my love for A Violent Noise is diminishing a bit while I'm also not super big on Say Something Loving either. It's odd because I liked the song enough but in the context of the album, I'm kinda over it.

Dangerous has jumped out big time for me while Replica has also grown for me.

Performance is a track that goes either way for me: some days it works for me on this album, other days it feels like a missing piece on Coexist and doesn't belong on I See You.

rezn0r

Lips & On Hold are some of their best. I just got around to playing this record tonight, so it's my first round. It's a great album that's probably not what some were expecting....

Edit: yeah I guess I'm the fucked up kid bumping a thread about music

GhaleonEB

Every time I listen to this record another song jumps out at me. this morning it was "I Dare You" Damn i love this record.

I Dare You put a big smile on my face today, for which I was grateful as there wasn't much else to smile about today. It's such an infectious, joyful groove.

The only track that hasn't resonated with me is the closer. Each of the three parts is pretty good, but together it's a disjointed mess that just sort of peters out, without leaving anything memorable in its wake. After 3-4 listens I've taken to ending the album on I Dare You.

Which brings up the only other thing I don't like about the record: it's pretty short. Less than 40 minutes across the ten tracks, and since I've dropped the last one, about 36 minutes total. It's a strong album, with no fat (until the end). My main critique being there's not enough of it is a sort of compliment, but it is one of the shortest albums I own.

That said, I can't wait to see what they play live.

(As a side note, it debuted at #1 in the UK. Woo!)

Performance is a track that goes either way for me: some days it works for me on this album, other days it feels like a missing piece on Coexist and doesn't belong on I See You.

It really does feel straight out of Coexist. But I love the hell out of that album, and appreciated the throwback to it.

TheOddOne

(As a side note, it debuted at #1 in the UK. Woo!
Yup.

- NME: The xx go to Number One in the UK album chart with ‘I See You’.
The xx have shot straight to the top of the official UK album chart with their new LP ‘I See You’.

The trio’s third studio album is their second Number One record after 2012’s ‘Coexist’.

It shifted 26,500 units across physical, digital and streaming equivalent sales and knocked Little Mix’s recent album ‘Glory Days’, off the top.

It comes ahead of their UK tour which kicks off in March. See their 2017 dates in full below.

Nottingham Motorpoint Arena (March 4, 2017)
Manchester O2 Apollo (March 5-6)
London O2 Academy Brixton (March 8-11, 13-15)
Cardiff Motorpoint Arena (March 17)

Xeno_V

So what's the general consensus about their live performances? I like their music a lot but I am a little bit afraid that this won't be the best genre/style of music to listen to live.

So what's the general consensus about their live performances? I like their music a lot but I am a little bit afraid that this won't be the best genre/style of music to listen to live.

I think it would work for small club shows, but be dreadfully boring in large arenas and amphitheatres.

Helmholtz

On Hold is soooo good!
Already one of my favorite songs of theirs. Perfect blend of their instrumentals with Jamie XX's signature production. And the vocals are stellar.

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
I've got two tix to the XX show on May 19th in NYC if anyone wants them (at cost)

I know there's a B/S/T thread, but I figured this was extremely specific.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom