• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Zelda TP spoiler thread: ALL SPOILERS IN HERE OR ELSE (late game spoilers itt)

Game-Biz

NEW SCREENS!

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20061101/zelda.htm

zerda01.jpg

zerda02.jpg

zerda03.jpg

JDSN said:
They look like hobbits next to Epona.

Yep, and from what we have seen, it seems like Epona finally feels like one big, massive destrier, and no more like a kind of pony (in any case, EDGE confirmed this impression in their lastest preview of the game).

linkoneponalw1.jpg

unifin

Stormbringer said:
Yep, and from what we have seen, it seems like Epona finally feels like one big, massive destrier, and no more like a kind of pony (EDGE confirmed that in their latest preview of the game).

linkoneponalw1.jpg

Holy cow - was Epona really that small? In my memory of OOT, she always seemed a bit larger...

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Something important I noticed in the ONM preview: "The creature in Midna’s helmet allows you to… nope, actually, forget that. "
Hmm?

Kangu

Banned
Twilight Rockstar said:
Apologies in advance mods, if I'm not supposed to provide links. Please delete if I'm not.
Some impressions are up…

ONM UK Forums
http://forum.officialnintendomagazi...?t=35042&sid=a22ed0e3e8be4d1ea759e1da98d641c4

The more I hear about the Wii controls the happier I am with my decision. Seriously Lag??

Other than that I'm getting a little worried about the wolf form... is it actually fun? Or are you left wishing you were playing as Link? Link just seems so much cooler an able than the Wolf.

Lobster

Banned
Kangu said:
The more I hear about the Wii controls the happier I am with my decision. Seriously Lag??

Err..I seriously doubt that it had lag..I think he means the slight pause when you hit an enemy.

Kangu

Banned
BlindN-Fan said:
Err..I seriously doubt that it had lag..I think he means the slight pause when you hit an enemy.

He pretty clearly says there's lag before you swing your sword, whilst the controler is registering your motion.

I finally understand what EDGE meant when they said the controls were 'sticky' as well.

BlindN-Fan said:

Reading comp FTW. He never said the controller lagged at all, quite the contrary in fact. He said it felt like the controller lagged at first when you are getting used to swinging the sword, but that the motion isn't replicated on screen until you complete the arc of your motion.

Smiles and Cries said:
Wow they did mirror everything :( this can't be good...

Dont worry, it's not going to matter. Since we havent seen 95% of the game, it's not like any of us is going to be expecting a specific location or anything

Kangu

Banned
LegendofJoe said:
Reading comp FTW. He never said the controller lagged at all, quite the contrary in fact. He said it felt like the controller lagged at first when you are getting used to swinging the sword, but that the motion isn't replicated on screen until you complete the arc of your motion.

There is a tiny bit of lag but that’s because you have to complete the motion before the move is recognised. Honestly though, it’s a split-second thing.

This is what it feels like to be wrongfully commited to a mental institution I imagine.

Kangu said:
He pretty clearly says there's lag before you swing your sword, whilst the controler is registering your motion.

I finally understand what EDGE meant when they said the controls were 'sticky' as well.

Kangu, it's now pretty damn obvious that the controls in the Wii version are better than in the Gamecube version.

Who cares about the tiny tiny lag? The controls are better, and that's all that matters.

Game-Biz

Well, there's a little lag, but it doesn't seem to hinder gameplay at all, so it's pretty much a non-issue. Watching those new Zelda clips on wii.com, it looks like the game plays fine.

Kangu

Banned
Alkaliine said:
Kangu, it's now pretty damn obvious that the controls in the Wii version are better than in the Gamecube version.

Who cares about the tiny tiny lag? The controls are better, and that's all that matters.

Right, who cares about responsive controls? It seems like, at best, the controls can be close enough. Or work 'suprisingly' well. All of which seems like a failure to me.

There's definitely something pretty damned obvious about your post though.

jj984jj said:
If there's lag I don't notice it in the new Experience videos.

As Rockstar said, it's incredibly small lag.

Try blinking with one eye, and then blink with the other as quick as you can. It's about that difference.

Kangu said:
Right, who cares about responsive controls? It seems like, at best, the controls can be close enough. Or work 'suprisingly' well. All of which seems like a failure to me.

It's not a failure if the controls are superior.

Mar

He says that the controls are amazingly responsive.

Then he says the sword swinging controls take a while to get used to because you don't swing as soon as you swing the controller, it waits until you've swung, then it reacts. That's not a bad thing. That's a game design element because if it swung every time you moved the controller, Link would be swinging non stop for the duration of the game. It HAS to have the registering of movement process or half the time Link would be swishing his sword when all you want to do is walk.

That's the way I read it anyhow.

mugwhump

Kangu said:

Just 'lag' while it's recognizing your entire sword swipe. No lag when aiming the bow or anything. Most previews have stated, flat-out, that the wii controls are superior.

Game-Biz said:
Well, there's a little lag, but it doesn't seem to hinder gameplay at all, so it's pretty much a non-issue. Watching those new Zelda clips on wii.com, it looks like the game plays fine.

Yeah, the timing of hits and swings are perfect after the intial microsecond delay. I couldnt imagine the pauses from TWW in this game. Due to how it's built, it would have been noticeable and annoying before long. Almost like a mini-load time. But from what everyone has said, battles flow quick and on key.

Lobster

Banned
dyls said:
awesome. I love how everybody looks at the wiimote in awe after the first sword stroke.

Yeah thats cool. Im just wondering if thats staged..or is that how my reaction will be too.

Seems like there were a couple things left out in the EDGE summary's that have been posted before.

The Hylia said:
I know we've already covered this, but I think a few juicy tidbits about Twilight Princess have been missed in the latest issue of EDGE. Thanks to Quijo, we've gotten the issue and have read it over, and I've got a few more details to deliver that I've not seen on any of the other major sites. So, read ahead at your own risk because there are Red Level spoilers.

Enjoy, and thanks again Quijo!

* The Twilight Realm is "Hyrule surrendered by Princess Zelda to the Twilight King".

* Twilight Princess is "Zelda by the book", giving fans what they've wanted ever since playing Ocarina of Time

* Apparently Twilight Princess has a lot of items and moves you have to learn, and rather quickly, too

* There are a lot of plot twists

* For example, after being chained in the sewers of Hyrule Castle, Wolf Link and Midna break free and go before Princess Zelda, who reveals her plight that she had no choice but to surrender to the Twilight King

* One of the Twilight Sprits (one of four according to EDGE) is the Great Light Spirit Ordona. Link's first "quest" is to restore these beings in order to return back into a human form. EDGE hints this takes awhile to complete this, much like ONM and GamePro have revealed.

* Edge confirms it is the Forest Temple that is the first temple you encounter

* There is some being known as...wait for it...Oocoo...a man-chicken (a chicken with a human head). It allows you to warp "out" of the dungeon to get supplies, and then "warp back".

* They reveal the "special item" at the end of the Forest Temple is "one of three" (MASTER SWORD, anyone?) that you have to collect, and they believe it is just merely a small quest in prelude to the big, main quest (If this is true, as nostalgic as it is, I'm going to be upset...enough with the get 3 things to get the Master Sword BS).

* EDGE had some gripes about the gameplay on Wii, but say it's not enough for them to say "Get the GCN version".

I wonder who the Twilight King is. Probably Ganon, considering Zelda turned out to be the Twilight Princess. Would be interesting though if he wasn't the Twilight King, they did say he wouldn't play the usual role in this game, perhaps multiple villains in TP?

Lobster

Banned
* There is some being known as...wait for it...Oocoo...a man-chicken (a chicken with a human head). It allows you to warp "out" of the dungeon to get supplies, and then "warp back".

So this is why we get an "M" rating in Australia?

* Apparently Twilight Princess has a lot of items and moves you have to learn, and rather quickly, too

Whats that supposed to mean?

Nightbringer

Don´t hit me for my bad english plase
The idea of Link transformed into an animal when he enters in the other world, Zelda being a prisioner in Hyrule Castle by the Twilight King makes me remember Link to the Past a lot. Perhaps Twilight Princess is a revised script for be more accurate with Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
Its funny how everything thinks you have to do these huge exaggerated movements with the controller to get it working.

Thats why wii sports sucks though. The cheating defeats the whole point.

Maztorre

BlindN-Fan said:
Whats that supposed to mean?

From what we've seen thus far it's apparent that you get a greater range of equipment more quickly than previous Zeldas, which generally doled out an item per dungeon(or thereabouts). From all the videos shown even at the early stages, Link has a fairly large amount of equipment already.

Lobster

Banned
Maztorre said:
From what we've seen thus far it's apparent that you get a greater range of equipment more quickly than previous Zeldas, which generally doled out an item per dungeon(or thereabouts). From all the videos shown even at the early stages, Link has a fairly large amount of equipment already.

Oh its referring to the game..I thought it was referring to Princess Zelda dammit.

Rlan

Toastyfrog:

When I arrived at NOA this morning, I discovered Nintendo had created a Mii of... me. And some other people. It was a little weird! But now they've gone and chased us away from their nice clean headquarters, and we're all sad. Sad like junkies suddenly cut off from a wonderful drug.

But I managed to swipe copies of Elite Beat Agents and FFV Advance before they kicked us out, so I guess the last laugh is on me. Or maybe not, since we're not allowed to talk about *scratchedout*(how awesome how terrible)/*scatchedout* pretty much anything about Zelda until the end of the week. Four days! That's, like, forever on this Internet thing.

I think I'm allowed to say that I'm really, really impressed. Maybe? If not, forget I mentioned it.

Today marks the longest amount of time I've used the Wii controller (nearly six hours straight), and I have to say I really love it. The nunchuk attachment is the incarnation of a controller concept I've always wanted to see but never thought I would: the lazy man's controller. When you're slouching through a ten-hour gameplay session, it's really kinda weird to hold your hands close together in your lap and far more natural to just let them fall to side, which the nunchuk allows. I do think playing more traditional games with the Wiimote is going to be a little intimidating for casual gamers, but compared to a PC game where practically every QWERTY key is mapped to some function or another it seems pretty simple.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
http://www.******.com/gaming/top/twilight-princess-first-impressions-hit-intertubes-211519.php

Twilight Princess First Impressions Hit Intertubes

Something to piss you off: Right now, as I sit here sipping a chilled mimosa and you glued to your monitor, ******'s Mark Wilson is playing Twilight Princess. (Actually, he's probably dreaming about what he played today, but still.) What does he think? No clue. Seriously. Why? Nintendo of America has embargoed it until Friday.

Something else to piss you off: Right now, millions of Japanese people are reading in depth hands-on reviews of Twilight Princess, reviews that you cannot. Why?

To piss you off.

The good news. These early Japanese impress indicate that the game is gonna rock. There's Link. A wolf. And pure goodness, apparently. So. I'll dive in, try to highlight what Game Watch Impress and Famitsu, both of which got to try the game out on October 27 in Tokyo, said about the way it looks and how it plays. I've heard there's a lag, but didn't see that mentioned. Maybe it was there, and I missed it. If so, feel free to add anything I missed in the comments section. Onwards!

* Game Watch

Flicking or shaking it causes Link to attack. Game Watch noted that the controller is light and does not cause the wrist to get tired after extended play. Play is intuitive, and Link moves smoothly. Controlling Wolf Link is like controlling human Link. The game's graphics, they liked them. The site states, "Controlling Link and moving the controller and seeing Link synchronize with the movements was a different kind of exhilaration from anything out there." Game Watch calls the one-two compatibility punch of Twilight Princess and the Wii-mote "preeminent." In short, they dug it.

* Famitsu

The website writes, "The oneness with the character has improved greatly than a past controller." Take mini games, like fishing, which are done with the Wii remote. They called the Wii-mote operation "more intuitive." Buttons are for things like jumping. While the new controller and nunchaku are for moving and attacking. Likewise, they couldn't say enough good things about the game. The November 10th issue of Famitsu will feature a more in-depth look on paper. So you can touch it.

Mark Wilson's impressions will be here on Friday. Stay tuned!

Kangu said:
He pretty clearly says there's lag before you swing your sword, whilst the controler is registering your motion

you can see it in the Wii Experience videos of people playing Zelda too. The game waits until you've done the entire swing motion before it kicks off the animation. Not that big a deal tbh.

The Black Brad Pitt said:
Its funny how everything thinks you have to do these huge exaggerated movements with the controller to get it working.

some people just want to get into the spirit of things - watch the Wii Sports experience vids, they almost all start off doing tiny motions and then realise they can swing it around like a real racket/bat/ball.

The Black Brad Pitt said:
Thats why wii sports sucks though. The cheating defeats the whole point.

*yawn* Firstly, you don't have to "cheat", and secondly, the only instance of "cheating" that MattC went into was the baseball pitching which is clearly NOT meant to be freeform.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
ONM said:
The problem is, even though I know the pointer works relatively (as opposed to where I’m pointing on the screen), I still find myself wanting to point at specific areas of the screen. So I’ll have the bow out and I swear I’m pointing at the screen. The thing is I’m not supposed to be. My Sensor Bar is actually sat a foot below the screen because it’s easier to have it there. So when I’m pointing directly at the Sensor Bar, that is interpreted as dead-centre (on the vertical plain). It takes a while for your head to readjust but once it does everything is so much easier. I had the same issues with Red Steel.

even if you have to get used to this...it is lame.

I don't understand why the game can't start off with a basic calibration - "point at this circle and press A" - in order to roughly recalibrate it so that it has some correlation to where you are pointing on the TV rather than feeling like you need to point at the sensor...it's just going to reduce the immersion.

Equally, if I wanted lay back in a chair and not point at the TV I could click A with with the wiimote comfortably in my hand to get my "dead-centre" to be totally unrelated to the TV. Those kinds of options just seem blindingly obvious. Why the **** aren't they being used?

ONM said:
Anyway, back to how the sword feels. A laid back flick of the wrist is as good as an intense swipe but when you’re in the thick of it you’ll find yourself really going for it. And no, it isn’t tiring. I’ve been doing 12-hour sessions, simply because I’ve had to, and while my eyes are barely open at the end my hands and arms are just fine. Sorry, I know there are cynics out there who don’t want to hear that, but it’s true.

Good news. The ONM impressions are pretty interesting, starting to look forward to this game now.

Top Bottom