• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Zero Punctuation Thread

MMaRsu

Banned
Damn I hope he reviews Max Payne 3. I'm sure he will though :D. I just hope he didnt suck ass and hated the game for it.

Mr. Sam

You're advocating the "this, but this; this, but this; this, but this; conclusion" style?
Really? That has nothing to do with being informative. Of course, do mention the good, but don't feel obligated to be 'nice' subsequent to every point you criticise.

No, I'm advocating playing the entire game. If something is a problem but gets fixed later on, you'll know that because you played the game. Reporting simply that it's broken isn't factual, or at least less informative. If it isn't fixed and stays broken, you can report that it's broken without fear of reprise.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
No, I'm advocating playing the entire game. If something is a problem but gets fixed later on, you'll know that because you played the game. Reporting simply that it's broken isn't factual, or at least less informative. If it isn't fixed and stays broken, you can report that it's broken without fear of reprise.

While I didn't agree with his MHTri review (loved that game), I don't mind when he doesn't play a game through when he justifies why.

Like when he reviewed FFXIII, I loved the bit where he said "I've heard some people say 'It gets better 20 hours in,' You realize that's not a point in it's favor right?"

Gui_PT

I might be misinterpreting but are you saying if you don't like a game you should play itr for 5 hours in case it gets good?

I remember someone telling me the Witcher was a good game if you go through the first 12 hours which are crap.

Ignoring the fact that the sentence may be right or wrong but... why would I want to put up with 12 hours of crap to enjoy something?

Why can't it just be good all the time? Having it "fixed" many hours into the game is not a positive characteristic

I remember someone telling me the Witcher was a good game if you go through the first 12 hours which are crap.

Ignoring the fact that the sentence may be right or wrong but... why would I want to put up with 12 hours of crap to enjoy something?

Why can't it just be good all the time? Having it "fixed" many hours into the game is not a positive characteristic
Is this a real question? there is probably even an evolutionary trait that make us behave like this.

gioGAF

I enjoyed the review, always funny.

I'm glad he bashed the always-online requirement for this game. GTFO Blizzard with that garbage.

Rufus

He plays the Witch Doctor in the best way.
Too bad blowing up Zombie Dogs isn't viable after a certain point. The cool down is just too long.

Is this a real question? there is probably even an evolutionary trait that make us behave like this.
And where would we be without it? Wish the drive was more selective though. The reward you get from games is disproportionately small compared to how much time you put in most of the time.

JYgSX.png

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
If you can't see that Yahtzee's reviews aren't meant to be taken seriously, then I don't know what to tell you tbh.

He always does have valid points though.

Good comics base their satire on legitimate points. It's one reason why base level trolls on the internet are often unfunny - they just make stupid shit up with no connection to reality.

Yahtzee's method simply involves playing up technically valid points until they're ridiculous.

Though he does occasionally seems to slip into using his act to justify venting disgust at things he personally just doesn't like, which is sometimes where he reveals genuine ignorance. He comes across as the sort of person who doesn't care to understand anything he dislikes, or at least understand why others would like it. In that regard, it might not be hard to see why he appeals greatly to a lot of hardcore gamers, lol.

If you can't see that Yahtzee's reviews aren't meant to be taken seriously, then I don't know what to tell you tbh.

Here's a research assignment for you:

Write a letter to Valve asking them how much Painkiller's sales on Steam increased in the week Yahtzee reviewed it.

Come back here and tell us how much "Yahtzee's reviews aren't meant to be taken seriously".

OMG Aero

Here's a research assignment for you:

Write a letter to Valve asking them how much Painkiller's sales on Steam increased in the week Yahtzee reviewed it.

Come back here and tell us how much "Yahtzee's reviews aren't meant to be taken seriously".
This is a pretty bad argument. Even if Yahtzee's videos are purely for entertainment it doesn't mean that people still can't get interested in games from them.
Giant Bomb's endurance runs of Persona 4 and Deadly Premonition weren't serious reviews either and they spurred on sales of those games.

This is a pretty bad argument. Even if Yahtzee's videos are purely for entertainment it doesn't mean that people still can't get interested in games from them.

No it's not a bad argument. I'm not the one speaking on behalf of all of Yahtzee's 4.5 million viewers. Clearly many people take his reviews seriously.

People would not "get interested in games" after his reviews if they don't believe he has any credibility as a critic. To have credibility your opinions must be taken seriously. Given the dire state of gaming journalism, he has more credibility than 95 per cent of mainstream reviewers.

Criticisms are no less valid when they are conveyed with satire.

Rufus

That sidekick feature sounds really really interested but the rest of the game just sounds terribly generic
As far as the play is concerned, it seems pretty unique (if you ignore Monster Hunter and Shadow of the Colossus), but everything else, from look to story seems run of the mill.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I love his E3 videos, always among his best stuff. Was sad he didn't have one last year (or the year before, I think.) This video might be his best this year.

Top Bottom