• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thedas Calls - Dragon Age Day (2023) - Full Reveal Summer 2024

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
DDBJFS8.gif

Stafford

I saw this on Twitter and it read like the reveal was now, with a summer 2024 release. Ffs!

What insider again claimed it was a 2024 release?

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Full Reveal - Summer 2024

Delay Announcement - Holiday 2024

Game Release - Second Half 2025

BioWare apologizes profusely for releasing a broken and half baked game, promises to fix it in 2026

2026 is marked with a series of high profile departures and tales of dysfunction within Bioware

A year passes with worryingly little info about the DA4 relaunch

BioWare finally gets euthanized - mid 2027

Arcadialane

A teaser to announce they will have a reveal teaser in a year from now. It has to be a joke/error?

Last edited:

Dazraell

A teaser to announce they will have a reveal teaser in a year from now. It has to be a joke/error?
I think this announcement wasn't made to garner excitement but to reaffirm they're working on something and pleasing shareholders / executives who probably aren't happy about BioWare's performance

YuLY

Antiva looks really good. I still have hope Bioware can deliver a decent rpg, not every game can be Witcher 3, but I think they can still make a good game.

I think this confirms 2024 late release, if I remember correctly EA stated they dont want long marketing cycles anymore.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Had to look up the history of this game’s development here https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Age:_Dreadwolf
Summary:
- started development in 2015 as “Joplin”
- put on hold so staff could help with Andromeda in 2016
- resumed development March 2017
- Joplin canceled in October 2017 because it didn’t have room for live service/monetization
- restarted in 2018 as “Morrison” to include a live service component and based on Anthem’s code
- in 2021 after Anthem’s reboot was canceled, they decided to remove the multiplayer stuff and make it SP only

And here’s the section about staff turnover holy shit:
The project has been marked by a high turnoverof leading staff. Several veteran Dragon Age staff, including Laidlaw, left the company in response to Joplin's cancellation in 2017.[3] After the 2018 restart, Mark Darrah remained as an executive producer, while Matthew Goldman took over the position of creative director for the project from 2017 to 2021.[10] By December 3, 2020, Darrah had resigned from BioWare, replaced by BioWare Austin studio head Christian Dailey as executive producer.[11] Goldman left BioWare by November 2021,[5] and was replaced as Creative Director by John Epler.[12] Dailey left BioWare in February 2022.[13] Corinne Busche became game director thereafter, Benoit Houle director of product development, and Mac Walters production director.[13] Walters in turn left BioWare in January 2023.[14] In March 2023, Darrah returned as a consultant for the game and the Mass Effectteam joined the production of Dreadwolf, according to EA.[15][16] In August 2023, BioWare fired 50 people working on Dreadwolf and the next Mass Effect game;[17] this included Mary Kirby who was one of the series' original writers and credited with "creating Varric and the Qunari".

Luipadre

Had to look up the history of this game’s development here https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Age:_Dreadwolf
Summary:
- Joplin canceled in October 2017 because it didn’t have room for live service/monetization
- restarted in 2018 as “Morrison” to include a live service component and based on Anthem’s code
- in 2021 after Anthem’s reboot was canceled, they decided to remove the multiplayer stuff and make it SP only

Yeah this is gonna be another trainwreck

Summary:

Textbook example of shitty management: no vision, no commitment, just clamping onto the new fad.

Fuck off bioware/ ea cant even do a full trailer after all these years.

Antiva looks really good. I still have hope Bioware can deliver a decent rpg, not every game can be Witcher 3, but I think they can still make a good game.

I think this confirms 2024 late release, if I remember correctly EA stated they dont want long marketing cycles anymore.

Maybe yes since Jedi Survivor had a short reveal to release timeline even with the month long delay.

Last edited:
Summary:

God damnit. We're never getting Mass Effect 5, are we?

Flabagast

WTF is this ?

I guess they want to put as much distance between this and BG3 as they can before going bankrupt.

Unfortunately by the time it releases The Witcher 4 will be right around the corner....

I guess Mass Effect 4 is not before 2028 at the earliest.

Hugare

Terrence Ross Wow GIF

They were probably insecure about the game after so many development problems

But now with Baldurs Gate success, oof

I wouldnt like to be on the shoes of a developer who is making a medieval RPG for the next few years

The project has been marked by a high turnoverof leading staff. Several veteran Dragon Age staff, including Laidlaw, left the company in response to Joplin's cancellation in 2017.[3] After the 2018 restart, Mark Darrah remained as an executive producer, while Matthew Goldman took over the position of creative director for the project from 2017 to 2021.[10] By December 3, 2020, Darrah had resigned from BioWare, replaced by BioWare Austin studio head Christian Dailey as executive producer.[11] Goldman left BioWare by November 2021,[5] and was replaced as Creative Director by John Epler.[12] Dailey left BioWare in February 2022.[13] Corinne Busche became game director thereafter, Benoit Houle director of product development, and Mac Walters production director.[13] Walters in turn left BioWare in January 2023.[14] In March 2023, Darrah returned as a consultant for the game and the Mass Effectteam joined the production of Dreadwolf, according to EA.[15][16] In August 2023, BioWare fired 50 people working on Dreadwolf and the next Mass Effect game;[17] this included Mary Kirby who was one of the series' original writers and credited with "creating Varric and the Qunari".

man, remember back to when a game would be the realization of the vision of the game's creators?...

DaciaJC

Gold Member
I like how they felt the need to put the disclaimer "mix of gameplay and cinematics" at the start. That was some pretty engrossing gameplay for sure.

Red5

EA shut down Westwood Studios (RIP) and Origin Systems (RIP) for far, far fewer failures and general bullshittery. For some reason, BioWare have some sort of hall pass, it seems like.

They make games that sell, even Mass Effect Andromeda sold well riding the coattails of the franchise despite mixed reviews. Only real dud Bioware ever put out was Anthem, rest of them regardless of their critical reception sold well, Dragon Age Inquisition was the best selling Bioware title despite Dragon Age 2 being what it was, for example.

draliko

fu*k bioware, f*ck kojima sadness and fuc* waiting years from reveal to release... this is getting ridiculous

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Out of curiosity I just checked who is leading this game. Game director has they / them pronouns. Explains a lot

Immediately after announcing her promotion Corinne Busche came with this statement about LGBTQIA+ representation in gaming. Because quality representation is so much more important than a quality game ...

CE2Ge17.jpg

Last edited:

Skifi28

I wonder if Bioware is closing down before or right after the game releases, that's my only real question.

Dazraell

Immediately after announcing her promotion was Corinne Busche came with this statement about LGBTQIA+ representation in gaming. Because quality representation is so much more important than a quality game ...

CE2Ge17.jpg
Welp... I had a low excitement about this game, but it tanked even lower now

Top Bottom