• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There Came An Echo |OT| Out on PS4

Nachos

9Ev5jfs.png

Platforms: PC, OSX, Linux, PS4, XBONE
Genre: Real-Time Strategy
Developer: Iridium Studios
Publisher: Iridium Studios
Release Date: February 24, 2015 (PC); 2015 (OSX/Linux/PS4/XBONE)
Price: $14.99
ESRB Rating: Teen (Violence, Language)
Audio Language: English
Language Support: English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Mandarin Chinese
Wil Wheaton: Copious
Steam Page
DRM-Free Link

This OT is optimized for GAF Dark.

05KbhPh.png

Set in the far future of Santa Monica, California, There Came An Echo stars Corrin, a cryptographer, who suddenly finds himself the target of a band of mercenaries. Narrowly escaping alive with the help of a mysterious navigator who calls herself Val, Corrin is now on the run, pursued by an enemy of inexhaustible and vast resources and facillities, all while desparately trying to uncover why he's being hunted. At the heart of the mystery lies an alogrithm of his own design, designed to be virtually indecyphrable, but what could it be safeguarding? Those answers, if unveiled, could imperil the very nature of reality itself.

jINRvIC.png

There Came An Echo is a real-time strategy game designed to be played with the player's voice. Built to simulate the feeling of being a commander barking orders from a safe and omnipresent command room, the game emphasizes smaller-scale strategy, putting a small infantry unit, no greater than four in size, in your care. As you advance through the story, overcoming skirmish after skirmish, There Came An Echo will test your abilities as a commander, demanding more and more of your ability to analyze a situation, discern the best course of action, and order it quickly and concisely, all while under the pressures of enemy fire. The game also features command aliasing, not only enabling you to change every preset command to one of your liking - with no limits on what's allowed - but also to change the designations of the individual characters and strategic points.

shnZCgW.png

XmeJocp.png

Voiced by Wil Wheaton

51J8irS.png

Voiced by Laura Bailey

steqHKG.png

Voiced by Cassandra Morris

qBCsdP7.png

Voiced by Feep

Also featuring the voices of:
Ashly Burch (Val)
Yuri Lowenthal (Adam)
Cindy Robinson (Farrick)
Rachel Robinson

46WdHAw.png

FCDhw4o.png

NAyvBIm.png

Q. Do I need to use a microphone to play the game?
A. No, There Came An Echo also supports controller and keyboard-mouse inputs, though the game is still primarily designed around voice commands. However, note that for XBox One users, the game is planned to have Kinect support.

Q. Yo, I played Lifeline, and the voice commands were straight up jank. Is this game going to ask me if it should bark like a big dog or a little dog?
A. Voice recognition technology has evolved considerably since 2003, and There Came An Echo uses recognition software licensed from a dedicated third-party, as opposed to software developed in-house. The technology is still going to be at the mercy of any other voice tech - things like reverb, distortion, and additional loud noises will make the sound unintelligible, but in decent sound settings, the voice commands should work nearly 100% of the time. Of course, precise enunciation will also alleviate most issues, as well. More Siri, less Hey You, Pikachu.

Q. I was born in Ireland, kidnapped, kept alive in Scandenavia, escaped to South Africa, and spent a few years in each of the major continents before settling in the United States. I also spent so many years imitating Donald Duck that now my voice is stuck that way. Will this game recognize my accent?
A. You might be out of luck, but for the vast majority of people, There Came An Echo supports a lot of accents, as demonstrated by Feep himself here and here.

Q. How much freedom do I have with this voice aliasing?
A. You can replace any command with anything you can imagine (and that the software understands), though obviously, doing things like replacing the command to fire with an entire Animaniacs song will probably spell disaster in crucial moments. Check the launch trailer for a demonstration.

Q. This game screwed up my media player! I had all of my settings set to maximum moe before, but now they're not moe at all!
A. Previous versions of There Came An Echo came packaged with the Combined Community Codec Pack, a popular set of video encoders and decoders for improved video playback - particularly popular among anime watchers. However, the installation that came with the game overwrote existing player settings, causing some headache. The codec pack has since been removed, though, removing the issue.

Q. Who composed the soundtrack? Is there any way to purchase it?
A. There Came An Echo's soundtrack was composed by collaboration between Ronald Jenkees and Big Giant Circles. The music itself is available as additional DLC on top of the game through Steam, as is a digital art book of the game. The soundtrack is also downloadable through Iridium's website, though the art book link is suspiciously missing...

KkEqRD1.png

Hardcore Gamer (Reviewed by Matt Whittaker) - Positive
Destructoid (Reviewed by Darren Nakamura) - Mixed
Cheat Code Central (Reviewed by Sean Engemann) - Positive
Game Over Online (Reviewed by Stephen Riach) - Mixed
Eurogamer (Reviewed by Dan Whitehead) - Positive
Forbes (Reviewed by Jason Evangelho) - Positive

munroe

Looking forward to playing this as soon as I get back from work. Got my free key thanks to Feep. I think I'll control it the traditional way at first until I can get my mic sorted.

Sethista

will play it sometime this week, got my key from feep and will leave my feedback here.

really looking forward to trying it with mic, I wanna get that mass effect vibe

Coppanuva

Hoping this is as awesome as it sounds. Sure seems like a cool premise, will be using voice controls (if I wanted to use mouse I might as well play a different game it sounds like).

Ralemont

not me
I had no idea what this game was until the code giveaway, but reading about it now it sounds like a pretty unique experience. Good on Iridium for making a Neal Stephenson game when Stephenson himself could not.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
well played OT maker.

now hopefully we can do MASSIVE group play through since everyone on gaf has this lol.

edit: also, great title.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I'm really excited to play this when I get home tonight. I liked the back and forth with TB on twitter and I'm looking forward to his WTF video for this game.

Best of luck with the launch Feep!

V_Arnold

Hi Feep! :D
I am hyped for this. Will most likely (95%, I am not the editor, but I doubt we wont have space for it in the online age :p) write a review about this, to get the word out ;)

Now the waiting time begins for that Steam EU unlock -.-

Foshy

Brilliant title :lol

I absolutely love the concept. Need to get some busywork done over this and next week and then I'll play it. Really looking forward to it :D

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
The thread title got a really good laugh out of me. 8 minutes and I can't play until the afternoon.

Feep

Banned
There Came an Echo is live.

I have never worked so hard on anything in my entire life. No matter what happens, I'll always be proud of this.

Enjoy, everyone. I just want you to have fun.

Amazing OT! The Steam key thread was legendary. One of the coolest and kindest things I've ever seen a dev do. Mind blowing as to how many PMs you had to send out. 10K NeoGAF users correct? I hope to God you had an automated system for that. Received my PM a few hours back so thank you! Looking forward to playing this.

Game looks great Feep! I'm holding out for the PS4 version before I try it, but I've been eyeing the soundtrack in the meantime. Love Ronald Jenkees so much.

Top Bottom