• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There is a chance for Next Gen to be delayed to 2021

Boss Mog

The coronavirus is having a pretty big impact in China right now and it's affecting not only Chinese companies but foreign companies who rely on China for parts and or manufacturing as well.

Should we fail to get outbreak under control it could have a large impact on production lines thoughout China in the coming months which is when PS5 and XBsX will be entering the manufacturing phase. Hopefully this will blow over like SARS and we'll all be playing next gen by xmas but I think people should just be aware that there is this possibility of a delay.

Ar¢tos

I'm fine with that... I have been playing ps3 games for the past 3 months (and really enjoying them).
My ps4 has only been used for Netflix/hbo/prime.
I can wait another year.

Jtibh

Banned
I'm fine with that... I have been playing ps3 games for the past 3 months (and really enjoying them).
My ps4 has only been used for Netflix/hbo/prime.
I can wait another year.
Netflix on ps4? Pfff probably is rockin some crt ever since digital foundry cleaned out their basement and suffered a middlife crisis

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
If this was the case, we would never get anything on time, due to ordinary flu, I hope you are well aware of that.

The virus could cause a delay in a lot of things, ultimately leading to a global economic slowdown, and then that recession that we're apparently long overdue for.

(a recession is said to hit about once every 10 years)

Last edited:

Boss Mog

If this was the case, we would never get anything on time, due to ordinary flu, I hope you are well aware of that.
i hope you are well aware that this is a hell of a lot more serious than the flu, production lines in the affected areas have already shutdown, there's literally drones patrolling the streets telling people to put their masks on and go home:

• Triggered
Reactions: TLZ

Boss Mog

Firstly, the scope of outbreak would have to extend significantly to coastal China for it to impact the companies who manufacture electronics.

Should that happen, you should be worried about the actual outbreak and not whether your videogames will be delayed.
It's not just about the virus itself but also about the precautions companies/governments will take against it. There are events being cancelled in South Korea and other parts of East Asia right now even though the threat is currently almost non existent in those parts.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
i hope you are well aware that this is a hell of a lot more serious than the flu, production lines in the affected areas have already shutdown, there's literally drones patrolling the streets telling people to put their masks on and go home:

Just because it's new and it's really hard to know what it can really do, I guess that's understandable.

Vawn

Banned
Who said I’m outraged?

It’s just in poor taste - nothing more, nothing less.

You're derailing the thread to get on a soapbox to try to make someone look like they are saying something that they weren't, just so you can do your holier-than-thou spiel.

That's exactly what SJWs searching for things to be outraged over do.

He never said he didn't care about what was going on in China except hiw it affects video games. That's just you twisting his words.

Discussing less important factors that stem from bigger issues should still be allowed.

Imagine if the tragedy that happened to Kobe Bryant had happened to an active player on a title contender such as LeBron James.

After many hours of mourning the loss on sports radio shows where the main purpose is to discuss sports, would it be wrong to discuss how it affects the Lakers team basketball-wise? Of course not. People listen to sports radio to discuss sports. And being interested in sports does not mean that those people do not care about other more important things.

You're derailing the thread to get on a soapbox to try to make someone look like they are saying something that they weren't, just so you can do your holier-than-thou spiel.

That's exactly what SJWs searching for things to be outraged over do.

He never said he didn't care about what was going on in China except hiw it affects video games. That's just you twisting his words.

Discussing less important factors that stem from bigger issues should still be allowed.

Imagine if the tragedy that happened to Kobe Bryant had happened to an active player on a title contender such as LeBron James.

After many hours of mourning the loss on sports radio shows where the main purpose is to discuss sports, would it be wrong to discuss how it affects the Lakers team basketball-wise? Of course not. People listen to sports radio to discuss sports. And being interested in sports does not mean that those people do not care about other more important things.

The consoles won’t be delayed.

If they are because of this situation, it means there is a huge spread of a highly contagious virus epidemic and no one will give a shit about the PS5 because of... you guessed it... the VIRUS EPIDEMIC!

The comparison to a basketball player is utter nonsense.

Can see it now:

PS5 Box:

1 Dualshock 5
1 HDMI cable
1 Power cable
1 User manual
12 Coronavirus capsules. Take one daily (with food). See your nearest GP if conditions persist.

Frankly who cares console getting delayed would be the least of my worries with the Coronvirus. Frankly as a whole gamers got ripped off this gen 2017 was the only good year we got out of gaming the rest of the early years of this gen was filled with nothing but remasters and cash grab garbage then we had the BR phase and that ruined a lot of games IE BF

Last edited:

Entroyp

I agree, there’s a strong possibility. But what matters most is to get that darn epidemic under control to avoid more loss of life.

Plus there’s a lot of good games coming to PS4 this year so it’s fine.

Last edited:

Birdo

Banned
Streaming services:

tenor.gif

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
It's China. The governments gonna force people into those factories whether they like it or not.

Justin9mm

China just literally built 2 emergency hospitals for the Coronavirus in 10 days.. We are not talking about tents but actual properly constructed 1000 bed with 1400 staff hospitals. This is just scaremongering.. I guarantee it won't delay production.

Another stupid GAF thread.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I do have a lot of titles I want this year. Plus Microsoft is rumored to not have a lot of gen exclusives for what, two years? Bluepoint’s Remake from Sony Plus any other major title is still TBA.

I doubt they’d delay it, but it’s definitely worth looking into if you’re costing employees their lives. I hear that some Chinese jobs require people to contact the government if they need to get back into the building. A lot of places aren’t letting people work at all.

Halo Infinite would probably get delayed or would it launch on XBO? I think if they needed to they could delay it. I just doubt it.

Last edited:

theclaw135

Banned
Good. Both systems were announced too soon and hopes are grim of seeing must own exclusives anywhere near launch.

Oddspeak

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure manufacturing for consoles coming in Q4 doesn't even start until summer at the earliest.

Top Bottom