• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There is apparently a Bloodstained Ritual of the Night sequel in development

This comes from the FY20-21 report of the Publisher which can be read here, the Bloodstained slide states "second version in development".
The game apparently sold more than 1 million copies and generated 30.2 million € ($37m US) in revenue.

Digital-Bros-FY20-21-Q3-Results-sito-criptato.jpg

• LATEST CREATION OF KOJI IGARASHI, THE FORMER SERIES PRODUCER OF THE CASTELVANIA FRANCHISE
  • WORLDWIDE PUBLISHING RIGHTS ON PC AND ALL CONSOLE FORMA TS
  • HIGH METACRITIC SCORE (AVG. 81)
  • € 30.2 MILLION LTD REVENUES - MORE THAN
    1 MILLION COPIES SOLD
  • EXPECTED LIFETIME REVENUES OF AT LEAST € 30 MILLION
  • SECOND VERSION IN DEVELOPMENT

ranmafan

Cool news. Game deserves a sequel. Although I don’t know if I’ll be buying it. I’m still a bit angry at the way backers of the first game in Japan, like myself, ended up getting so badly treated on just trying to get our games we backed that it soured me pretty much on the project. Sad as it was a great game. But I don’t want to give money to the same people again after all that frustration.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Cool news. Game deserves a sequel. Although I don’t know if I’ll be buying it. I’m still a bit angry at the way backers of the first game in Japan, like myself, ended up getting so badly treated on just trying to get our games we backed that it soured me pretty much on the project. Sad as it was a great game. But I don’t want to give money to the same people again after all that frustration.

I completely understand your position and I understand without backers for the kickstarter maybe we never would get the game. But that is the reason why I dont back games. I would rather wait for it to get released.

ranmafan

I completely understand your position and I understand without backers for the kickstarter maybe we never would get the game. But that is the reason why I dont back games. I would rather wait for it to get released.
Yeah I completely understand that position. I’ve only backed a few games myself over the years and everyone of them was a joy to back with so much professionalism on the way they treated the backers and getting the products out. All except bloodstained. It alone basically changed my stance on backing games to waiting for them. The amount of ridiculousness we had to go to just to get our games in Japan was frustrating beyond belief. So it’s hard for me to reward them with me purchasing a second game. Which sucks cause the game was so awesome, but I gotta stick with my stance.

ranmafan

I'm a little out of the loop, do you mind giving details, fellow Sumire best girl user?
Ok basically what happened was this:

-bloodstained gets a worldwide release date.
-two weeks later Japanese backers get the news the game is delayed indefinitely with little explanation except for a vague explantation on their being logistics issues
- game comes out everywhere else in the world on time while Japanese gamers are left out of the loop for months. Unless they went to Akihabara to buy a copy or ordered online from the west. All backers did get copies of the game on steam as an apology for free, but most backers couldn’t play the game as they didn’t have PCs to play it on. Of course this being Japan which is still more console focused
- eventually word comes that they didn’t do all the cero paperwork for the rating and that there were issues with the publisher they had chosen. A new company publishing games in Japan from Hong Kong that no one had heard of and had one of the worst logos ever making some people nervous.
- game finally was annouced for an October release date giving fans hope that the game would finally be in our hands. We were also promised a special extra thing, not mentioned, to make up for the half year wait.
- before the game was released it was revealed that again due to issues backers would not receive their games on release date and that they weren’t sure when they would release the game to backers.
- this infuriated backers here quite a lot. Even more so as there was a launch event in Akihabara with Iga signing copies of the game. Backers planed to go to the event to complain but then found out the store decided to do the event using a lottery system that was available online, not really advertised and was already all booked up. The few backers that were able to go had to sign up for a empty box to get signed as their games had not arrived yet. Iga gave an apology but it was the smallest apology I’ve seen for a video game controversy here in quite a while.
- as promised we received a extra gift for our waiting. A digital copy of the game for the system they chose. This wasn’t the extra special gift people had in mind but they were willing to accept it. Only one problem, all of the playstation codes didn’t work! You could purchase the game on the store but all the codes that were sent out were useless for weeks for some unknown reason.
- eventually in November we recieved our physical games. Ironically just after that the digital codes started working.

throughout that time all attempts to get straight answers from Iga, the developers, the publishers, anybody involved with the game was a frustrating mess with most of our messages ignored or just given a short “we’re sorry.”

So yeah, a complete mess. When compared to say, Shenmue 3, we got our games before release date. Which was awesome. But yeah, the whole experience was a massive bit of frustration that year, and made me sour on everything regarding the game and those that made it. Had they simply been more upfront with us and told us all the reasons why things had gone so badly we would’ve been more understanding. But sadly we were treated like crap.

Last edited:
While I thought Bloodstained was mediocre, at best, it essentially delivered on the promise of bringing to home consoles an Igarashi-developed Metroidvania. With the right director and development company, I do believe Igarashi could create a somewhat improved sequel, but much depends on the budget, leaving me potentially less encouraged if 505 Games remains the publisher.

Speaking personally and related to 505 Games, as a backer of the campaign, I felt disrespected by the company. Igarashi and his business, ArtPlay, also shoulder the blame, but I'm not sure I can support a sequel, partially coming from an outfit whose response to backer complaints was largely, "We understand your frustration, but don't really care." Regardless, we'll see what happens.

Last edited:

Belmonte

Awesome, I'm always ready for more games from IGA.

Is there a chance we get 2D art this time? I would love to see 2D HD (like Cuphead/SOR4) or pixel art again.

me0wish

Excellent, going through the whole CV series, Bloodstained is one of favorites.

Awesome, I'm always ready for more games from IGA.

Is there a chance we get 2D art this time? I would love to see 2D HD (like Cuphead/SOR4) or pixel art again.
I highly doubt, we'd probably see lots of BS1 assists recycled over in BS2.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I’m down. I really liked Bloodstained. Tbh it felt like a real sequel to SotN compared to the titles that came after it.

CitizenZ

Banned
Severely, and i do mean severely, over hyped and over priced. But in order to understand, you have to play games.

I don't understand why people think the first game was anything like SOTN. It would be nice to have an actual spiritual successor to that. Or Turbo Dracula X. Hell, SNES Dracula X I'll take it.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Take a look at gameplay and see what some critics are saying about Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night in this new trailer for the side-scroller action RPG by Koji Igarashi, showcased during Guerrilla Collective 2021. Play as Miriam, an orphan scarred by an alchemist's curse that slowly crystallizes her body. Battle through a demon-infested castle and defeat its master to save yourself, and all of humanity

Top Bottom