• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night sales top two million; ‘VS’ and ‘Chaos’ modes announced

Draugoth

Gold Member
Bloodstained-Sales-Two-Million_09-06-23-1024x576.jpg

Total sales of Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night have surpassed two million units worldwide as of August, publisher 505 Games and developer ArtPlay announced.

The new “VS” and “Chaos” modes are currently in development, both of which will include online multiplayer for the first time.

This [addition of online functionality] has resulted in some challenges and delays that we that we did not expect, but we continue forward!We are nearing completion of the new content.

Watch the video update below.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I love this game, but it's crazy that we're here three years later, and they still haven't added all the features in the game that were part of their kickstarter stretch goals.

Deft Beck

I love this game, but it's crazy that we're here three years later, and they still haven't added all the features in the game that were part of their kickstarter stretch goals.

I wouldn't be surprised if they get folded into the sequel.

Power Pro

I really liked Bloodstained, but I'm ready for a sequel at this point. The game is good, but there were also clear room for improvement.

bender

What time is it?
Wasn't expecting to see so much backlash. The game is ugly and makes me wish it wasn't in 3D but I enjoyed the game despite that but maybe I was just desperate for a new experience in the genre after play so many indies that fell well short. Imagine if Bloodstained had the art team from Blasphemous.

Cool, bought it via Kickstarter so day 0, loved it, couldn't care less about new modes years after the fact, give me a new game instead.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

I don't care they should be talking about the sequel at this point

TexMex

It is a Christmas miracle this game is as good as it is. They truly pulled it off. It’s no SotN but it isn’t as far off as you’d ever dream.

But fucking no one wants this shit. What a waste of time and resources. Move to the next game.

It is a Christmas miracle this game is as good as it is. They truly pulled it off. It’s no SotN but it isn’t as far off as you’d ever dream.

But fucking no one wants this shit. What a waste of time and resources. Move to the next game.
In fact, if anything, the whole crossover thing takes me out of the game. I mean how many other games are going to cross over into this universe? I don't care about this shit I've seen videos where people say they don't either and they don't like it.

Are they paying off all these independent devs or at the independent devs paying the developer to put their game in as an advertisement practically?

I just want to see a new game. It doesn't even have to be a sequel to Ritual of the Night and instead one for Curse of the Moon.

Come on, man. Enough of the crossover bullshit.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
want to play CotM 3 ,but they should update these graphics to GBA level and it would be perfect

They are pretty good games

Part of the charm is those visuals. It could be upped to say Celeste levels, but these kinds of games don’t need major visuals. They focus on precise controls and speed runs.

And honestly ritual of the night has “better visuals” and looks like absolute dog shit. I’d rather they stick with 8 bit or 16 bit at most.

It's not a waste of time and resources, they're fulfilling the kickstarter goals they promised.

Sojiro

Curse of the moon 1&2 were better. Change my mind.

Also, give me CotM 3.
I actually agree. I ended up enjoying both CotM games more than Bloodstained and I was far more looking forward to Bloodstained initially. I don't think Bloodstained is a bad game, but there feels like an overall lack of polish and it doesn't quite stack up to the metroidvanias it is inspired from. I still enjoyed playing through Bloodstained, but I definitely enjoyed the CotM games more, which ended being even better than I thought they would be.

TexMex

It's not a waste of time and resources, they're fulfilling the kickstarter goals they promised.

While that would certainly change things if obligated, this many years post release the people who are actually going to use it has to be minuscule.

I also don’t see these modes anywhere on their kickstarter stretch goals at all, though I could be missing it.

Though they’re clearly not bound by them, they out and out cancelled some of these.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I definitely feel like I got my money's worth with RotN, and this was before all of the content updates.

However.

I haven't revisited the game except to try the new characters, and that was a play test and not a play through. I haven't finished the game multiple times.

SotN remains the GOAT, and I return to it occasionally. I can pick it up from any point and have fun or spend a day playing it from scratch.

RotN isn't the top tier title that you'd expect to be supported many years later, but I respect that they've added so much and kept their word. I just wish it was content for a game I was excited about returning to. I don't even remember the gameplay gimmicks, just recipes.

If they do a sequel, despite how unlikely it is I'd very much like to see them attempt a different visual style. I wasn't a fan of any of the art styles they presented in the Backer updates, including the one that was chosen. It reminded me of when Mighty No 9 visuals were announced, although this isn't the bomb that was.

I think Hollow Knight is a decent source of inspiration when it comes to 2.5D without looking like it.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
It’s not like these extra modes are gonna make it a good game.
This and Mighty Number 9 have plenty shown that a director doesn’t make good games alone. Even Miyamoto would probably make a dud if he went independent and couldn’t rely on Nintendo’s programmers’ know how.

Part of the charm is those visuals. It could be upped to say Celeste levels, but these kinds of games don’t need major visuals.
What? Celeste looks like an Atari 2600 game compared to Curse of the Moon’s faux-NES graphics.

It was a good game but not to the level of quality of the past Metroidvania style Castlevanias. Symphony of the Night and Dawn of Sorrow are my two favorites and this didn't come close to either. RotN feels like a kickstarter game.

Bloodstained was genuinely a good game but damn they are still grinding on these stretch goals after 3 years?

Just start making the sequel already. I funded that KS at the weapon tier back in the day, I enjoyed the game, move on already to the sequel so I have a new game to play.

Top Bottom