• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There is no Spanish word for "compromise" why?

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
"ceder" which is "cede" in English means to give away something usually power or territory, "concesión" is the same "concession" which is similar but that's when only one side gives something up.

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
Different languages use different ways to say things as there's no guaranteed 1:1 translation on every english word or concept.
And even if there's a direct translation, it might not actually be used in a normal setting.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Different languages use different ways to say things as there's no guaranteed 1:1 translation on every english word or concept.
And even if there's a direct translation, it might not actually be used in a normal setting.
"Llegar a un acuerdo" which means "come to an agreement" kinda works, sorta, maybe, not really

Cyberpunkd

I've read that Arabic also doesn't a word for it either. Is this true?
Check this:

English - collaboration - good
French - collaboration - good
Polish - kolaboracja, kolaborant - bad, means someone working with the enemy during the time of war aka traitor

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago

TonyK

There is no Spanish word for "compromise" why?​

I'm Spanish and at least for the same meaningh it's exactly the same: "compromiso". There is another meaning in English for "compromise"?
noun

1. 1.
    an agreement or settlement of a dispute that is reached by each side making concessions.
    "eventually they reached a compromise"
  2. 2.
    the expedient acceptance of standards that are lower than is desirable.
    "sexism should be tackled without compromise"

-----------------------------------------------------
compromiso

nombre masculino
  1. 1.
    Obligación contraída por una persona que se compromete o es comprometida a algo.
    "lo siento, no puedo ir esta noche porque tengo un compromiso ineludible"

2. 2.
    Acuerdo formal al que llegan dos o más partes tras hacer ciertas concesiones cada una de ellas.
    "el compromiso militar de respetar el alto el fuego formulado ayer, está en contradicción con un nuevo comunicado difundido este mediodía, que volvía a amenazar con una guerra total"

Last edited:

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
I'm Spanish and at least for the same meaningh it's exactly the same: "compromiso". There is another meaning in English for "compromise"?
According to the 2nd definition it's a formal accord. In English a compromise doesn't have to be a formal accord maybe I'm splitting hairs but it's not exactly the same imo. Like I said I've never heard it used as anything other than a commitment by anyone. I speak Mexican Spanish for what its worth.

Last edited:

violence

Spanish has a binary grammar gender system, differentiating masculine and feminine. Does this mean I can’t choose what gender I want to use for each word?

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
They are stubborn. Shrug.
So if a Spanish man and woman go to a restaurant and she wants nachos as and appetizer but he wants fried pickles....but they also have a platter with both.....will he pull a gun out on her and say "I don't compromise!! Fried Pickles it is!!" and shoots her? No 'compromise' in Spanish?

pachura

Check this:

English - collaboration - good
French - collaboration - good
Polish - kolaboracja, kolaborant - bad, means someone working with the enemy during the time of war aka traitor

In Russian, there is no verb "to have". Instead, they say "У меня есть", which means "there is something in my possession / at my place".
This somehow illustrates how the concept of private property has never been that successful over there and all possessions were always temporary,
as tzar/Stalin/Putin could visit you at any time and take it away...

Top Bottom