• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There will be no daily & flash deals in the upcoming Steam Autumn sale (25/11)

Lack of dailies will mean less purchases for me for sure. It's not so much the deals not being as good, it's because there will be no incentive for me to check the storefront everyday thus less impulse buys. Come to think of it, the main store front is pretty terrible now. Might check out GoG more this year and maybe even Origin or Amazon.

I figured they would always have changing discounts. I check steam half a dozen or more times a day during sales. Set prices for the whole thing aren't as enticing or exciting.

Plus it provided chat banter as the day went on.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Discovery is also going to be damaged. Mid-tier games that would show up as flash/community/daily deals aren't going to be seen by as many people even if they do get featured, since there isn't a reason to check back regularly anymore.

Justinh

On one hand this sucks. Since I'm one of those people that likes to open steam everyday at 1PM/1300 local just to see what's on sale that day. I loved checking in during steam sales and seeing what was up during the current flash/daily/community choice(you rubes picked that?) sales things.

On the other hand, I like that it's going to be more simple. It was getting a little much, innit?

So everything just goes on sale for its best price at once and stays that way until the end of the sale? I suppose I'll live, as long as the discounts are as good as they've always been, but that seems like it'll get a whole lot fewer eyeballs on the Steam store during the sale.

Nyoro SF

Hm... on one hand, checking the steam store every day to see what the dailies would be was a bit of a hassle... on the other hand, with only one option, developers are likely to play it more close to the chest and offer shallower discounts.

I think we lose. :(

Discovery is also going to be damaged. Mid-tier games that would show up as flash/community/daily deals aren't going to be seen by as many people even if they do get featured, since there isn't a reason to check back regularly anymore.

Good point. If I don't have a reason to check daily, I'm not going to care who gets featured.

Hm... on one hand, checking the steam store every day to see what the dailies would be was a bit of a hassle... on the other hand, with only one option, developers are likely to play it more close to the chest and offer shallower discounts.

I think we lose. :(

Indeed... the deals, they are a changin'.

pislit

Maybe they'll implement new types of discounting gimmicks. Like buying every three games will give you one free game in a growing selection? Or a random game ala dota 2 compendium. Hahahaha

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Isn't it just because this sale takes place during Black Friday? They want that dough before everyone can spend it in stores and don't want people holding out for daily deals.

Renekton

It was a lottery for them anyways.

The brainy guys at Valve can probably think of a better system for the visibility issue.

O.DOGG

That's fine with me. Sure there was excitement in checking in periodically for new deals but it was more annoying than thrilling. Especially if I miss a sale on a game I'm interested in because some engagement got in the way.

This is something they seemed to somewhat do during the last sale. It might not have been intentional (although i don't see how it couldn't have been), but there were some games that were put as daily deals that didn't actually go down in price any more.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
This is something they seemed to somewhat do during the last sale. It might not have been intentional (although i don't see how it couldn't have been), but there were some games that were put as daily deals that didn't actually go down in price any more.

I only noticed that with Valve games IIRC, were there others too?

Rockstar. But they are assfuckers when it comes to deals.

They took the regular GTA5 off of the store, and only had a 'bundle' with a Shark Card (IAP cash) that was DISCOUNTED to the regular $60 price.

And because DLC was bundled, you ALSO couldn't get a refund.

ARK: Survival evolved was one that i remember being put as a daily deal despite it not getting an extra discount. I think the devs said it wasn't them who decided to do that, although that doesn't seem to fit in with what's this is saying about Valve usually asking what devs want the daily discount to be.

That's fucking crazy. I can't believe they're taking away peoples reason to check the store every day. Seems like it'll kill impulse buying. I know it will for me.

Rockstar. But they are assfuckers when it comes to deals.

They took the regular GTA5 off of the store, and only had a 'bundle' with a Shark Card (IAP cash) that was DISCOUNTED to the regular $60 price.

And because DLC was bundled, you ALSO couldn't get a refund.

I remember when that deal went live. At first, all of the thumbnails for the game listed it at 25% off, then everyone's dreams shattered when the percentage just meant you would get in-game currency with your $60 purchase. Biggest troll-move during a Steam Sale I ever personally witnessed, everyone on my friends list was pissed.

It was a lottery for them anyways.

The brainy guys at Valve can probably think of a better system for the visibility issue.

Their solutions always boil down to "let the community handle it."

Get ready to vote on sale severity. May the best percentage win.

Cru Jones

I used to work at a developer and managed the Valve/Steam relationship. I can confirm that you would submit your prices and they would apply to BOTH the autumn and holiday sale. If they are only taking one price for autumn I can say with almost 100% certainty that the Winter sale will be the same.

I've always thought that having a Halloween Sale, an Autumn Sale AND a Winter/Xmas sale to be too much in too small a time frame.

I honestly always forget there's an Autumn sale and go "huh...so there's a sale..." when it comes up, then end up not buying anything.

Yeah, ultimately this is just a non-special sale.

But this would be a good time to get all of your Steam accounts ready (Wife's? Work?) so you can get as much voting in and cards as possible. Since they take about 30 days sometimes to be allowed to trade.

Spend the $5 to buy your main account a gift. Activate them and get them legal for trading...

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
No more waiting for dailiesprice mistakes every day? Boo

Thats the exciting part of the sales :(

FoneBone

Horrible news, at least for the deal-savvy.

As already said, I'm going to be that most discounts fall well short of previous Steam lows. Much fewer discounts above 50%, and vastly fewer above 75%.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Kinda dampens the fun and excitement as a shopper, but holy crap my stress levels for these things as a dev just plummeted to zero with this move, thank gawd.

FoneBone

That's fine with me. Sure there was excitement in checking in periodically for new deals but it was more annoying than thrilling. Especially if I miss a sale on a game I'm interested in because some engagement got in the way.

Well, I get that, but that doesn't mean there can't be a middle ground. During the summer sale, all flash sales lasted a full 24 hours.

Paz

Kinda dampens the fun and excitement as a shopper, but holy crap my stress levels for these things as a dev just plummeted to zero with this move, thank gawd.

Makes you wonder about featuring though, the path you took with CSD and featured high % sales would no longer exist under the version described in the OP.

The world of small indie games on PC can be terrifying.

Knurek

On one hand, this.
On the other, will you be happy with sales comparable to being in a Weeklong? Because that's what the sale looks like now - slightly more promoted Weeklong.

Top Bottom