• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theresa May Statement: June 8th General Election requested

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wvrs

Prime Minister Theresa May will be making a statement at 11:15 this morning. Apparently "the BBC newsroom is going crazy" and not a single political journalist knows what's happening. Syria? NK? Snap General Election? New leather trousers?

Source

Update: Theresa May has announced that a General Election will be called on June 8th.

Trickster

Prime Minister Theresa May will be making a statement at 11:15 this morning. Apparently "the BBC newsroom is going crazy" and not a single political journalist knows what's happening. Syria? NK? Snap General Election? New leather trousers?

Source

Somehow this just makes me think it turn out to be nothing.

Meadows

Banned
This looks like exactly what would happen if the Queen passed away
which hopefully isn't what's happened

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
The £ has sunk at the news. Could it be the death of a royal?

danowat

Banned
Seriously though, more likely an election, or she's resigned.

AKA, fuck this poisoned chalice, some other mug can drink from it.

kmag

Source

Various rumours abound.

Lizzie or Phil popping their clogs
Snap Election
May resigning on health grounds.

mo60

A snap election may be a bit risky for her right now despite how favorable the polls look for the Tories. It could easily be something foreign policy related or personal. It could also be a brexit update or a new policy annoucement.

Xando

Whatever it is the pound doesn't like more uncertainty (GE?)

C9rzdq1XsAEz3Ha.jpg

Maybe something about northern ireland? Isn't power supposed to come back to westminster because of the deadlock?

Downing Street statements are generally fairly serious so I don't think it's nothing.

I'm not from the UK but it has always been known that Downing Street statements are serious and history gives credence to it.

Well if it's a GE at least (presumably) corbin will leave after this. Hopefully he has that much shame anyway.

Just worried about how many labour mp's will even be left after this.

EGM1966

Odd. Either:

Brexit
Royal death

Most likely. Could be nothing of course.

Hope it's not the Queen as I want her to give Trump a good talking to when he finally arrives.

danowat

Banned
Odd. Either:

Brexit
Royal death

Most likely. Could be nothing of course.

Hope it's not the Queen as I want her to give Trump a good talking to when he finally arrives.

It won't be nothing, these kind of announcements are usually reserved for serious things.

Hope it's nothing to do with what I was told by a friend in the navy last week...........

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
General election presumably. Might as well get a bigger majority while Corbyn is in charge.

Yeah, basically. Going by polls I believe she'd emerge with a bigger majority from a fresh election (?), which I guess she'd view as helpful wrt Brexit and all that. She must be very confident if that's the plan anyway.

Hopefully remainers would actually come out and deal her a blow though, if it is actually a sizeable constituency. Enough twittering - here'd be the chance to demand a change in direction, at least in how Brexit is approached.

Prince Phillip?

Unless she has gotten fed up of the lack of any meaningful challenge at PMQs and is going for that early general election. Can't see that happening though, not with Brexit now in full swing.

edit: if it is a royal death, wouldn't there be a ban on any media reporting until its officially announced?

kami_sama

Yeah, basically. Going by polls I believe she'd emerge with a bigger majority from a fresh election (?), which I guess she'd view as helpful wrt Brexit and all that. She must be very confident if that's the plan anyway.

Hopefully remainers would actually come out and deal her a blow though, if it is actually a sizeable constituency. Enough twittering - here'd be the chance to demand a change in direction, at least in how Brexit is approached.

The problem is that remainers don't have a good party to vote. Corbyn is a spinless leaver. And I don't know about the Lib Dems.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
"We have always been at war with Eastasia."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom