• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

they did it: FPS Mario in UE3

Orayn

Medalion said:
Their hardcore cred would be through the roof... plus pull in a huge sector of HBO fans too
It would truly a next-gen experience if they got rid of that silly remote, gave it a cinematic campaign, and provided the architecture needed for visceral online multiplayer.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
lol this looks horrible

I don't care about Mario but even I feel like my childhood is totally raped

DO IT NINTENDO! GET ON WITH TIMES

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
That was . . . interesting, but they should have done something else. It seems dull to play the game in FP mode.

Man, that's worse than it sounds. Then again, it's just some guy probably getting something for his portfolio, or learning the engine. I thank god this will never be a real product.

hateradio said:
That was . . . interesting, but they should have done something else. It seems dull to play the game in FP mode.
Yes, the concept is limited.

But in my experience they don't have to be terribly indepth to impress certain teachers. A good showing of modeling skills, and even rudimentary coding ability early on can impress. Half of the stuff I was doing and getting A's at would have been a crude approach in the N64 days. It didn't help that my teacher couldn't model at all. He was a C# programmer, and old school C++ programmer.

Hell, Mik and youtube helped me more than those classes did. And in the ensuing years reading developer tech docs to see how they did it. Honestly, in real time rendering. You don't get better than a developer forced to get something to work on older hardware. Sure it may not have run well, but the finesse it took to achieve effects that become natural later on is impressive.

I was mainly talking about SotC, Rogue Leader, and RE4. What they squeezed out of their respective hardware was nothing short of impressive. Some had better artistic talent... yeah, but all three of them achieved visual effects that should have completely choked the systems they ran on... and honestly in some ways did.

Ummm... kind of got lost in there, but don't be harsh bros. Limited concept, but showing an aptitude that's commendable.

Top Bottom