• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"They Follow", sequel to "It Follows" announced.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
380193287_737330504889740_6272869924807785796_n.jpg

David Robert Mitchell and Maika Monroe are reuniting on “They Follow,” a sequel to the 2014 cult horror hit, “It Follows.” Neon, the Oscar-winning studio behind “Parasite,” will co-produce the movie and release it domestically. The studio will introduce it to international buyers at this year’s American Film Market. Principal photography is set for 2024.

Mitchell returns as both writer and director for the sequel. Monroe will reprise her lead role of Jay Height from “It Follows.” The sequel reunites the filmmaking team with Neon CEO Tom Quinn. The indie executive’s previous company, Radius, released “It Follows” in theaters, where it grossed an impressive $15 million domestically on a shoe-string budget.

Good Fear Content will co-produce with Neon. Mitchell serves as a producer with Jake Weiner and Chris Bender of Good Fear Content, along with the original producers of “It Follows,” David Kaplan, Erik Rommesmo, Rebecca Green and Laura Smith.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Lets hope Mitchell remembers to add an actual plot this time. Subtext is cool and all, but there needs to be more than that in a script!

3liteDragon

Don't know what this has to do with gaming but I've had this on my watchlist for like 4 years now lol, never got to it.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Be interesting to see what the gameplay is like.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Not sure this needs a sequel but the first was disquieting on a whole different level. Can't go to that well alone for a sequel though.

Last edited:

Laieon

Awesome, It Follows is one of the best modern horror movies. Sequels usually deliver but will see.

It follows is one of the few "best modern horror movies" I thought was actually deserving of the title (Ari Aster's stuff on the other hand...). Great film.

The 1st one was about STDs maybe this one will be about? Woke ideology? I have nothing.

Qultists.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Awesome, It Follows is one of the best modern horror movies. Sequels usually deliver but will see.

Really? What about it did you like?

No joke, I'm completely mystified by the praise this movie got. I admit, it starts promisingly, but then proceeds -like its characters- to go precisely nowhere. Its got a solid setup, but never develops beyond the basic metaphor for sexual anxiety.

I actively hated it. Which is unusual for me because I recognize its technical merit. Its not a "bad" movie, per-se. I just found it incredibly, infuriatingly, lazy.

miklonus

It's more inclusive
I hate to say I thought this too. Laughed right after I thought it.

First movie was extremely good. Releasing this, "now", so many years later, and what seems like, no, "IS", a completely different world......I don't know.

Good luck to 'em. I'll have my eye on it.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

I'm surprised the sequel didn't happen sooner given they invented a rather fresh idea and it wasn't very expensive to make. I wasn't a big fan of the movie when I saw it for the first time, but I definitely changed my mind after rewatching it 2 or 3 times. Now I really like it and wouldn't mind watching a sequel despite the cool ending of the first movie leaving things to your own interpretation.

The guy behind the soundtrack also needs to come back, he's done an incredible job.

Last edited:
Really? What about it did you like?

No joke, I'm completely mystified by the praise this movie got. I admit, it starts promisingly, but then proceeds -like its characters- to go precisely nowhere. Its got a solid setup, but never develops beyond the basic metaphor for sexual anxiety.

I actively hated it. Which is unusual for me because I recognize its technical merit. Its not a "bad" movie, per-se. I just found it incredibly, infuriatingly, lazy.

The atmosphere, the soundtrack, the tension the movie creates to the viewer. Most rely on cheap scares and ugabuga shit but this movies eeriness is there from start to finish. Not a lot of horror makers know this but the sound design/music is a HUGE aspect of a good horror movie.

Go_Ly_Dow

I enjoyed It Follows, although a noticeable flaw come the end of the film was how anyone could expose the existence of the being by just throwing a sheet over it or some paint lol.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I enjoyed It Follows, although a noticeable flaw come the end of the film was how anyone could expose the existence of the being by just throwing a sheet over it or some paint lol.

Exactly. This sort of thing is what bugged me about it. Rules need to be consistent, and the characters in the story should react appropriately or else the threat and mystery dissipates.

On one hand the movie wants us to react to a very dream-like scenario where its a handful of characters operating in an isolated void where there's never the thought of reaching out to anyone "outside" for help, but then it shows us that the threat obeys normal physical rules and could easily be contained. Problem of course is that its such a specifically personal threat to the "infected" that for the first half of the movie we're shown that noone else can see it...

So, whichever way you take it, its dumb and lazily written. Mitchell wants to have his cake and to eat it too!

Sorry, but in my opinion you simply cannot do this in horror. You have to fully commit 100% to one lane or the other. The otherwise excellent The Babadook had a similar (if lesser) problem in that at the climax they didn't commit to either a purely psychological or supernatural explanation. Ambiguity in resolution can work, but only if it doesn't diminish what led to it by throwing doubt on the "reality" that we've been presented with as an audience.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Maybe we will get a better explanation of that one rando girls (the poor chick that caught a bullet to the leg in the pool) clamshell phone. That was quite frankly the most wacky thing in the film :p

And we gotta have a scene with it on a plane, or swimming after a boat, or all the other edge scenarios of this premise for a worthy sequel.

Mr Blobby

Exactly. This sort of thing is what bugged me about it. Rules need to be consistent, and the characters in the story should react appropriately or else the threat and mystery dissipates.

On one hand the movie wants us to react to a very dream-like scenario where its a handful of characters operating in an isolated void where there's never the thought of reaching out to anyone "outside" for help, but then it shows us that the threat obeys normal physical rules and could easily be contained. Problem of course is that its such a specifically personal threat to the "infected" that for the first half of the movie we're shown that noone else can see it...

So, whichever way you take it, its dumb and lazily written. Mitchell wants to have his cake and to eat it too!

Sorry, but in my opinion you simply cannot do this in horror. You have to fully commit 100% to one lane or the other. The otherwise excellent The Babadook had a similar (if lesser) problem in that at the climax they didn't commit to either a purely psychological or supernatural explanation. Ambiguity in resolution can work, but only if it doesn't diminish what led to it by throwing doubt on the "reality" that we've been presented with as an audience.
good point. for me I like looking at movies from the supernatural etc viewpoint. If people say It Follows is about STD's etc, it comes across like a PSA. Same with Babadook - if it's simply/literally only about trauma etc I am not as inclined to take to it. Guess I'm trying to say that they're catering to both tastes even if it's at the expense of continuity.

Mr Blobby

Maybe we will get a better explanation of that one rando girls (the poor chick that caught a bullet to the leg in the pool) clamshell phone. That was quite frankly the most wacky thing in the film :p

And we gotta have a scene with it on a plane, or swimming after a boat, or all the other edge scenarios of this premise for a worthy sequel.
I think I remember reading somewhere how they were intentionally ambiguous about the time it was set so you had these kind of anachronisms within a modern world

jason10mm

Gold Member
I think I remember reading somewhere how they were intentionally ambiguous about the time it was set so you had these kind of anachronisms within a modern world
Makes sense. Cell phones/the internet are a MASSIVE crutch/barrier for lots of traditional films. They would either solve all problems immediately and thus need to be removed ASAP (the classic "my phone is about to die") or end up just being a lazy exposition ("hey, this website from this crazy guy tells us EVERYTHING!"). So I appreciate clever ways to exploit modern tech to keep it fresh.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Lets hope Mitchell remembers to add an actual plot this time. Subtext is cool and all, but there needs to be more than that in a script!
I agree. I watched the first one and I thought I just wasn't able to pick up on whatever cerebral vibe it was supposed to have going on. In reality the plot was just non-existent.

Top Bottom