• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

They lost the source code to what!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eot

Banned
Oh man- I have no idea how I necrobumped, this was on my usual first page and I didn't see the dates. I hadn't searched anything :| Apologies everyone.

I find that hard to believe tbh

Sure you didn't mean this thread?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1361109

edit: actually yeah, the post you quoted is also quoted in that thread, so I guess you clicked the link to the post and didn't see that it was old when you quoted it yourself

gabbo

Video assets are a completely different thing. I can see those being lost, easy. But code? VERY hard to 'lose.' It does happen, but not on finished products, usually. More likely you'd lose an old build or something. Every programmer should have the entire code base on his machine anyway.
Just being bought out or closing is enough to lose source code. Let alone for decades old games where none of the companies involved still exist.
Whoa didnt see the necro. Still an interesting topic

Piers

Is it right that developers would lose source codes in freeing some back-up space in the 80's/90's?
I seem to recall this happened with Silent Hill 2, thus the freakish HD ports.

I find that hard to believe tbh

Sure you didn't mean this thread?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1361109

edit: actually yeah, the post you quoted is also quoted in that thread, so I guess you clicked the link to the post and didn't see that it was old when you quoted it yourself

Fuck you're right. My bad - I completely thought I was posting in that thread. I was so confused because I swore it was a thread that had just been opened. As far as necrobumps go, this is a pretty innocent one - that dude gave no indication that that was a 9 year old post!

I mean, to be fair, people are actually having an interesting discussion ITT :b

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom