• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Things are lookin up boys and girls

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Bit generations, xbox live arcade finally rampin up, valve saying "hey lets release demos and small games as well as releasing chapters for hl2!" David jaffe not wanting to make interactive movies. Industry is finally realizing that every game doesnt HAVE to be a blockbuster. It almost seems recently like maybe, just maybe, the industry is maturing.

Futures so bright, i gotta wear shades man, i gotta wear shades.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
i think this is more the result of ballooning budgets and people covering their asses because of the high game costs than any big eye-opening industry ephinanies here

Core407

Banned
sp0rsk said:
Bit generations, xbox live arcade finally rampin up, valve saying "hey lets release demos and small games as well as releasing chapters for hl2!" David jaffe not wanting to make interactive movies. Industry is finally realizing that every game doesnt HAVE to be a blockbuster. It almost seems recently like maybe, just maybe, the industry is maturing.

I think XBLA and the virtual console concepts are showing developers & publishers that there are other untapped sources of revenue. Before it was all about the blockbuster title, but now it's also all about XBLA, DLCs.

sp0rsk said:

QFMFT

Also. May be a sign of the apocolypse.

Kittonwy

Banned
sp0rsk said:

I see what you did there.

But seriously I like the way people are starting to think about games, especially in regards to smaller budget, 2D games, or episodic content. I think we are on the tip of the iceberg here and soon we will start alot more good smaller games to go along with the blockbusters.

sp0rsk said:

I have to ask wtf your avatar is, it's been bugging me lately :lol sorry about the OT

Wollan

Is this the right thread?

817fe38746d322bef0966dd2c7b24524cd3.gif

e4b3e85c19b55b41b856a2644f63590fsc8.gif

4d789790d0bcb2e752ace451946be525ma3.gif

Core407

Banned
Billy Rygar said:
But seriously I like the way people are starting to think about games, especially in regards to smaller budget, 2D games, or episodic content. I think we are on the tip of the iceberg here and soon we will start alot more good smaller games to go along with the blockbusters.

I think developers are realizing that the whole process is a bit broken and that they are getting screwed in many ways.

sprsk

PantherLotus said:
Evolve or die.

Another generation like this last one would result in fewer companies making a tiny bit more money.

and hey, its good for gamers! maybe not amirox though.

Archie said:
exactly.

Now, back to the thread:

I hope this is true, because Sony will start thinking the same way, and make room for 2D titles! I hope M$ does so, too....because we need 2D to bring some variety to the industry.

CarlosX360 said:
exactly.

Now, back to the thread:

I hope this is true, because Sony will start thinking the same way, and make room for 2D titles! I hope M$ does so, too....because we need 2D to bring some variety to the industry.

And with the advent of the PS3, we'll have 2, 3, and 4D, Whoo hoo :D

i think we need a radical reevaluation of the publisher model before the industry can truly be considered "mature" but the process, especially with what Valve is setting up with Steam, what XBox live is doing, and what Nintendo and Sony can deliver with their online distribution system is going to make publishers wake up. Of course we also need more diverse tastes in the gaming population. But that is a whole different can of worms.

nubbe

XBLA and Virtual Console will be my primary hangouts.

Sub-$20 gaming is the best.

I already own about 80% of the available XBLA games.

sprsk

Billy Rygar said:
i think we need a radical reevaluation of the publisher model before the industry can truly be considered "mature" but the process, especially with what Valve is setting up with Steam, what XBox live is doing, and what Nintendo and Sony can deliver with their online distribution system is going to make publishers wake up. Of course we also need more diverse tastes in the gaming population.

well i didnt say it was mature, but slowly but surely i think its getting there. Online content delivery is not that great of an idea for bigass games (atleast on consoles) but i think for smaller games like xbla and episodic content stuff its perfect. low cost fun times gaming is the future. rrrrrrrrrrrah

MutFox

Banned
Are those Bit Generation games out yet??
I really wanna try that DotSteam game out... (I think that's the name.)

But yeah, the industry is maturing. =P
Kinda like earlier today with that Portal Trailer, everyone was like
"Who cares about graphics, that GAMEPLAY looks awesome."
Gameplay<Graphics - FOREVER.

sprsk

MutFox said:
Are those Bit Generation games out yet??
I really wanna try that DotSteam game out... (I think that's the name.)

But yeah, the industry is maturing. =P
Kinda like earlier today with that Portal Trailer, everyone was like
"Who cares about graphics, that GAMEPLAY looks awesome."
Gameplay<Graphics - FOREVER.

bit generations has been out for about a week in japyon.

robot

this thread is almost as high as I am!

almost

reminds me i need to go try those bit generation games.

sp0rsk said:
well i didnt say it was mature, but slowly but surely i think its getting there. Online content delivery is not that great of an idea for bigass games (atleast on consoles) but i think for smaller games like xbla and episodic content stuff its perfect. low cost fun times gaming is the future. rrrrrrrrrrrah
Bingo. I like your style. I think we need a definite move away from the idea that every game need be some tech-orgy (though some of those are nice Half Life 2 for instance) but we need gamers who can appreciate this sort of thing first, and publishers (or whomever) willing to fund this. But, hey, like any medium your going to have to put up with a tremendous amount of mainstream idiocy to get a decent amount of really interesting, thought provoking, or (this goes doubly for games) just GOOD material.

I think XBLA is cool, but it will be so much better once most of the stuff isn't flash games and old arcade classics. Not that some of that stuff isn't good, but the potential lies in stuff like Geometry Wars, and maybe Cloning Clyde and Small Arms if they're good. Hopefully we see more and more indie original platformers, shooters, on XBLA.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Is this the thread where we sing koom-by-yah and then we hold hands? Or do we need to remind you all that one company in particular still doesn't get it. Any guesses?

sprsk

PantherLotus said:
Is this the thread where we sing koom-by-yah and then we hold hands? Or do we need to remind you all that one company in particular still doesn't get it. Any guesses?

companies that dont adopt to our new order are irrelevant thus need not be discussed itt.

Polari

Totally. I never liked the idea that videogames had to have some huge narrative. I've always equated games more to Snakes and Ladders or Monopoly than to Casablanca. The fact is games are a really shitty storytelling medium.

Ranger X

The Wii is also part of this trend. I know there's the virtual console service but the console itself and it's style is good and will help widen and diversify the industry.

Oh yeah and Portal rules.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
We must not forget where we come from or we are doomed to repeat our mistakes!

Ask Atari!
Ask Nintendo! <-- did they learn their lesson?
Ask (any guesses?)

MutFox

Banned
Polari said:
Totally. I never liked the idea that videogames had to have some huge narrative. I've always equated games more to Snakes and Ladders or Monopoly than to Casablanca. The fact is games are a really shitty storytelling medium.

Or they're a great storytelling medium, just no one has figured out the formula yet.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
*dances a celebratory dance the likes of which has never been seen before*

sprsk

Ranger X said:
The Wii is also part of this trend. I know there's the virtual console service but the console itself and it's style is good and will help widen and diversify the industry.

Oh yeah and Portal rules.

the look of the wii has nothing to do with it, but nintendo is totally embracing the Sp0rsk manifesto.

Polari

By the way, did anyone see IGN's latest N-query where it was stated that Nintendo have already started development on a range of NEW virtual console games? I'm really interested in seeing what they come up with. Hopefully the Bit Generations titles will get ports to make them a little more accessible.

Top Bottom