• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Things from the past that you miss

JimmyJones

Banned
980x.jpg

I miss all the little shorts and stuff they used to have with all the characters interacting

You know what I REALLY miss are the Cartoon Network Groovies.

I remember they would play these later at night, boy does Cartoon Network take me back to staying up late at night on the weekends as a kid.

I also feel like the coolness of these Groovies anticipates Adult Swim's sense of style.

hargwood

Banned
Dragon Ball Z, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon being good. The hype surrounding the Star Wars prequels. Most importantly 2004-2007 Runescape. Humanity peaked in those years. We will never see the likes again.

Dragon Ball Z, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon being good. The hype surrounding the Star Wars prequels. Most importantly 2004-2007 Runescape. Humanity peaked in those years. We will never see the likes again.

Humanity peaked in 2004-2007? I can agree with this.

I don't know what it was exactly but it seemed like people on average had really good attitudes back then, I hate how far away we've gotten from that.

I'll probably mentally be stuck in the mid-00s for the rest of my life, that was when people had their shit together.

J-Roderton

Toonami. Granted it's back on, but my old ass ain't staying up into the wee hours of the night to catch an episode of some anime that I have no idea is going on with story-wise.

I miss the prospect of a thermonuclear war. Turns out we really needed a stone-age reset. It's all downhill from here. Instead of quick and painless decline, we chose slow and painful decline. On the upside I may still get my wish. Burn. Burn it all.

tenor.gif

Last edited:
Any Aussies here that used to subscribe to PC Powerplay? I used to love it back in the day. I noticed it's still around and was thinking about re-subscribing to see if it's any good.
didn't subscribe, but got it every month along with Hyper and N64 gamer, sometimes NMS. Mr Bad Ass from N64 gamer letters section was funny. Yeah I'm thinking too of seeing what still in print these days and getting a few issues.

Papa

Banned
didn't subscribe, but got it every month along with Hyper and N64 gamer, sometimes NMS. Mr Bad Ass from N64 gamer letters section was funny. Yeah I'm thinking too of seeing what still in print these days and getting a few issues.

I think I might re-subscribe for the first time in like 15 years since it's so cheap now and I'm nostalgic. Honestly surprised it's still around.

MC Safety

I miss the prospect of a thermonuclear war. Turns out we really needed a stone-age reset. It's all downhill from here. Instead of quick and painless decline, we chose slow and painful decline. On the upside I may still get my wish. Burn. Burn it all.

This is cute.

Maybe someday you'll realize how dumb it is to long for annihilation and will feel embarrassed.

Fbh

It's a bit silly but the Video Store / Blockbuster movie watching experience.
Walking through the aisles checking out all of these movies, a lot of which I had never heard about, and choosing which one to watch with litte to go on other than maybe a recommendation from a friend or just simply an interesting cover image, plot summary or actors you liked. No rotten tomatoes or youtube review or IMDB score or comments about it on a forum or 4 different trailers you had already seen.

The chances of picking something bad were higher but it was fun. And I definitely think personal opinions on movies were different before we were exposed to so many reviews and opinions about it before watching it

Last edited:

jadedm17

Midnight Launches especially at the mall.
Movies are the biggest letdown with Thursday 6PM showings for Friday launches to spread crowds, but with the downfall of malls and retail stores combined with digital downloads for games it's just not as fun grabbing a game or movie at midnight on launch day.
And Diners
They're around but nowhere near where I live.

Shifty

Lucozade before they made it taste of sherbert. Back when it came in glass bottles that a clumsy child (that may or may not have been me) could accidentally smash on the floor of your local convenience store.

I still remember the flavour.

And I definitely think personal opinions on movies were different before we were exposed to so many reviews and opinions about it before watching it
Oh without a doubt, it's way too easy to sponge up other people's opinions these days because they're so prevalent.

I find myself considering an opinion on the topic of a given thread before I even click it these days, for fear of becoming biased before I reach the compose box.

Last edited:

liberteer

Neo Member
- being excited about new Dylan Dog's issues. Now there are many editions and most of the stories suck
- videostores. Hate paradox of choice.
- as someone said, lack of social media and apps era mobile phones. Seriously.
- my old radio station that got shutdown back in 2010

The melancholy comes and goes, and I guess I don't really miss out on anything that much. Living in the moment, best I can.

Kadayi

Banned
Seeing Stars at night. So much goddamn light pollution on an evening where I am it's impossible to even see a glimmer. :messenger_frowning_

liberteer

Neo Member
Seeing Stars at night. So much goddamn light pollution on an evening where I am it's impossible to even see a glimmer. :messenger_frowning_

You sound like you live in Sarajevo. According to US Embassy stats, we were the most polluted city in the world the other day.

I miss my Sega Saturn and a bunch of first party quality games.
Quality Saturday morning TV. Here in the UK Saturday morning TV is awful

HeadsUp7Up

Like others I miss not being expected to have my phone 24/7 and to not be available. Went camping a few weeks ago and had zero cell phone reception, best weekend I’ve had in a really long time.

May have missed it but I haven’t seen anyone say getting pictures developed. It was always fun seeing a picture you forgot you took but on the flip side it sucked to see that you didn’t catch that moment.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Life without social media, identity politics and SJW keyboard slacktivists, also anti-war movement.

Blade2.0

A life without internet and mobile phones.
Nah. Gaf and era only exist because of the internet. Problem with the internet is now anyone can get a following even if it's the biggest load if shit...and I'm talking about flat Earth and the like. (And I'm not here for a debate if an FE is here on GAF, you're just wrong)

With that said, I miss when online for ordering wasnt a thing. Now it's way too easy to indulge my food addiction.
I also miss advertising when I grew up before the internet. Now ads are fucking everywhere and half the time you don't even know if what you're reading is an ad or not....

So internet is a double edged sword. I think it's great but it's also a piece of shit. Lol.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute

Double edged sword. There was so much more boredom back then. Not sure if I want that back...

Yup, for all its faults boredom is now extinct thanks to the internet age.

I remember how crushingly boring life could sometimes be, channel surfing and nothing is on, sitting and staring at the wall while in a doctor's office or waiting in a barbershop etc.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Double edged sword. There was so much more boredom back then. Not sure if I want that back...

I remember how crushingly boring life could sometimes be, channel surfing and nothing is on, sitting and staring at the wall while in a doctor's office or waiting in a barbershop etc.

Boredom isn't necessarily a bad thing. Boredom is good. You think about stuff when you're bored. You get creative when you're bored.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member

Absolutely. I think a lot of people forget that. Like for instance, the classic cinema experience was only possible because it was otherwise so hard to see new films. You only had some old ass shit that was rollin on TV and you had no control over. But that also means you were bored out of your mind outside of the cinema. So yeah, this all definitely came with a price.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Boredom isn't necessarily a bad thing. Boredom is good. You think about stuff when you're bored. You get creative when you're bored.
Sometimes, yes, but not always. Like said, living back in the 90s had its good sides but it also had its bad sides. Just like living these days has good and bad sides. For instance I would not want to live without Google anymore. There is just so much stuff you can get answers for for what you had to consult friends, relatives and strangers. Hearing a song you like in the 90s an then trying to find out which one it was? Good luck. Ordering something that's not available at your local shops? Goooooodddd luck. Just dawned on my a few months ago when I ordered Syphon Filter 2 from the UK with one click over Amazon in fucking mint condition. Hell, back in the days I wasn't even able to play this game uncut let alone with English VA. DO NOT WANT THAT BACK!

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
You have either had a lot of cats in a short timespan or are over 100 years old and had them one at a time. I choose to believe the latter. We need a grand wizard on GAF.

I know someone who has 8 cats. I'm jealous.

Joe T.

$10-$20 wooden hockey sticks and kids playing ball hockey on every other street, outdoor hockey rinks full of people every night and weekend in winter.

Body checking in junior ice hockey, so players didn't make it to the NHL unprepared.

The days before the internet and smartphones went mainstream, so people were encouraged to socialize out in the real world.

Arcades, 16-bit era EA Sports, PS1 era Square, N64 era Nintendo, PS2 era Sony, Xbox 360 era Microsoft.

That generation of kids that loved video games as much as they loved playing outside.

The ability to travel back and forth over the US/Canadian border with nothing more than an ID card or birth certificate.

Late night talk show hosts like Letterman and Conan still making for interesting/entertaining viewing.

24/7 cable news that actually provided 24/7 news across a wide range of topics.

I guess I could have just said I miss the 90's. I have turned into a bitter man. :messenger_face_steam:

Nymphae

Banned
Console boot up animations:

For me it was part of the gaming experience.

I use the Playstation 20th anniversary theme on my PS4 just to hear that startup sound every time. I really miss the PS logo startup sound for games.

Last edited:

Breakage

I use the Playstation 20th anniversary theme on my PS4 just to hear that startup sound every time. I really miss the PS logo startup sound for games.
Yeah, it's a shame the default boot ups have gone all Apple-esque monochrome minimal. The unique animations and jingles were an endearing part of a console's identity. When I see boot ups from past-gen consoles, it takes me right back.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i miss the era before poptimism

seriously i think poptimism has done a lot of harm to the world. "contrarian" is a bad word, if you don't fall in with the hive mind, you will be shunned. representation politics is good but it has reinforced a sycophantic pro-brand pro-consumerist tendency. if you say you are sick of hearing about Ariana Grande, you are considered a hater, possibly a misogynist.

i miss the days when you could say Britney Spears and all that pop stuff sucks and it was just an ok thing to say, not a sign you were "toxic" or whatever. everyone is an armchair psychologist now, dehumanizing others to preserve the fantasy that everyone in the world likes what they like.

Last edited:
Top Bottom