• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Things from the past that you miss

Susurrus

When Sobe was on top of its game. Now they're just another meh beverage company.

A couple flavors I miss specifically:

sobe-grapecrog.jpg
9700.jpg

brap

Banned
I really miss going into a Borders or Waldenbooks as a kid to get 3 volumes of manga for the price of 4 and buying whatever other anime/manga merch they had. No book stores around me at all anymore.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Saw this thread earlier and had nothing to contribute but it hit me now.

Independent movie rental stores, there used to be like three in my area and they all closed down by the mid 2000s. Honestly by todays standards the idea is a novelty but picking up a random movie as a kid and finding out if it's good or bad was a gamble everyone can relate to.

I really miss going into a Borders or Waldenbooks as a kid to get 3 volumes of manga for the price of 4 and buying whatever other anime/manga merch they had. No book stores around me at all anymore.

The first manga I ever bought was from the local Waldenbooks, I only got to set foot in a Borders once, weirdly right before it was announced they were closing.

Heaven on Earth for me as a teen was a store called Media Play, which featured an entire section devoted to anime dvds, manga and other related merchandise, sadly that was short lived as the whole chain closed at the start of 2006.

G-Bus

Banned
The lack of social media and cell phones. I genuinely miss those times.

Saw this thread earlier and had nothing to contribute but it hit me now.

Independent movie rental stores, there used to be like three in my area and they all closed down by the mid 2000s. Honestly by todays standards the idea is a novelty but picking up a random movie as a kid and finding out if it's good or bad was a gamble everyone can relate to.

Oh yes. Every Friday my mom would take us to the video store where they had a 5 movies for $5 deal. I have 3 older brothers so once a month I'd get to pick two movies. Unknown movies were always decided on how cool the front cover looked.

I think they did the same for video games. I remember having a Japanese exchange student for a while and he came home one day with a bunch of rented SNES games. Street fighter 2 turbo all night eating junk food.

Last edited:
Growing up I had unabashed freedom. It came at a price, but I still loved it.

DDR. I need to get a ps2 slim and get ddrmax2 and extreme back.

I miss Ribs n Bibbs from Chicago, and Minj which had the best wings of all time in Greensboro NC. Both are gone.

Last edited by a moderator:
You have either had a lot of cats in a short timespan or are over 100 years old and had them one at a time. I choose to believe the latter. We need a grand wizard on GAF.
My family had 4 cats at the same time and they got all old. But Kathi our first cat never came back in the late 90s and Kira died suddenly at age 8. Billy was 18, Timmy was unknown he was straycat but got pretty old, Gizmo was 13, Freddy 15

Jaxx_377

Neo Member
Summer Vacation
Old School MTV before it before it became reality TV Trash
Saturday Morning Cartoons
Definitely Life without Cell Phones
Reading the Sunday Sports page and the Sunday Comics
Reading the Newspaper in General.
Going to the Drive-in theater
PInball Machines, I know they still exist but they are hard to find even in good arcades.

Toecutter

Deep & engaging dialogue trees in RPGs. The storytelling just doesn't feel as rich to me with a fully voice acted, but more limited script with way fewer branches.

The difference between Morrowind & Oblivion is a good example - talk to someone in Oblivion and you'll get a canned, wooden response. Talk to someone in Morrowind though, you better make sure you're sitting comfortably - you're gonna be there a while!

'Normal' seasonal weather.

Now, spring is winter, summer is half spring half summer, autumn is half summer half autumn. and winter is autumn. It's completely fucked.

I miss not knowing that our election system is a dog and pony show meant to placate the masses. Like Mark Twain said, if elections were really that important, they wouldn't let us do them.

ROMhack

I miss not feeling like I have ADHD. My concentration reading things online was so much better two/three years ago.

Am I the only one?

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I miss not feeling like I have ADHD. My concentration reading things online was so much better two/three years ago.

Am I the only one?

I found that, but then was able to fix it by reading books.

MacReady13

Being a 38 year old living in Australia, I remember the 90's mostly. So, in saying that, I miss 90's rock and rock in general being big on the charts. Today's bullshit music does nothing for me at all.

I miss going to video shops in the 80's and 90's. I would spend so much time just picking up boxes and reading the back of them. They were just so much fun to hang around in.

I miss video games from that era as well. It feels like less games were released, but they were better. Video game "culture" wasn't the fucking pathetic bullshit it has become as well. Magazines used to talk about games, and not about how "toxic" gamers are and how women are objectified. They're fucking video games, not real life you fucking morons.

I miss how I used to play football and cricket with my brothers and friends in our street until it was almost too dark to see anything!

I miss not having mobile phones.

I miss not having a house and so much fucking responsibility with a wife and 4 kids (whom I love dearly but god it's tough)...

I still love my life now, but I guess life was far easier and far less complicated when we all were young and naive. There are some things you can't change I suppose, but damn, it's great going back watching 80's films and seeing the language used that is deemed inappropriate today. And in saying that, I don't know of anybody who was ever offended by these "bad" words. Yet today it's likely to get you fired from your job.

I miss video game magazines being easily available in a large variety. I would re-read them multiple times, dreaming about all these games I didn't have access to yet.

I miss my older brother taking me to the arcades to play fighting games, although I sucked at them. Just hearing about the new characters in KoF 99 got me excited.

I miss the late 90s/early 00s rock songs being released regularly, and playing Queen and Red Hot Chili Peppers on our Playstation, then our Dreamcast.

I miss the Dreamcast library, spent an unholy amount of time between Jet Set Radio, Soul Calibur, Skies of Arcadia, Sonic Adventure 2, Street Fighter III, and more.

It can be anything from the past that you miss, but generally it would be less serious stuff like junk food/toys/shows etc.

Toobs

A saucy Australian snack.

Bjn3LwT.jpg

2Unxj8z.jpg

80s/90s Video Game Stores

I miss going into stores and seeing rows & rows of new 8-bit and 16-bit games.

z5nDs9X.jpg

90s Game Magazines

It used to be so great getting a new EGM/Amiga Power/Super Play/Die Hard Gamefan back in the 90s. Seeing all the new game and system previews and the ads. Obviously you were getting fairly old news by the time the mag arrived but it was still exciting.

KEl0mnN.jpg

So what old things are you missing?

I wanna taste those toobs

iconmaster

Banned
The Disney Afternoon. DuckTales, Darkwing Duck, Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers. Didn't much care about TaleSpin, but the others were great.

Duellist

Much music and MTV. Specifically headbangers ball and Pepsi Power hour. I've got about 30 6hr VHS tapes full of interviews and videos.

LMJ

That's easy, when everything didn't devolve into political discussion due to the P.C police and identity politics!

That and Butterfinger BBs...Loved those things:goog_face_savoring_food:
And no, Butterfinger bites aren't the same thing!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Can't even remember the last time I had it. Probably the 90s. And if this thing comes and goes and promotional Canadian menu items, I must miss it every time.
1838.jpg

Lack of social media

It was wonderful.

I always got bad vibes from social media, the whole concept just felt wrong to me, trying to combine the internet with real life, to me the internet should be an alternate reality.

It's no surprise to me that trying to combine the two has ended in disaster.

AaronB

I miss the days when the majority of my income was disposable, and eating out or going to a movie for 1 only cost a few bucks.

Wouldn't trade the family for anything, but there are real sacrifices. Still, back in those days, I was sick of being single and alone.

Duellist

I miss being able to eat whatever the hell I wanted and not gain weight. Now I so much as look at junk food and I get fat lol

Last edited:

AaronB

Also, the golden age of K-1 Kickboxing (1994-1999). Hoost. Aerts. Hug. Cro Cop. Le Banner. Bernardo. Just saying those names in the appropriate tone will raise your testosterone levels. All fighting each other in extended rivalries, sometimes in tournaments with 3 fights in a night. There are amazing stories of, say, Peter Aerts throwing up between fights and looking like death warmed over only to get back into the ring. Then there's oddities like Bob Sapp, who used power and perseverance to beat Ernesto Hoost twice, but later became a joke who would tap out if he thought a punch might be coming. Once in awhile I'll just YouTube any of those old fights.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I miss being able to eat whatever the hell I wanted and not gain weight. Now I so much as look at junk food and I get fat lol

Literally when I hit 25 a switch flipped. I was 9st 7lb eating tonnes trying to get some weight on. Now I'm having to starve myself to get down from 12 at 10 lb.

Melon

Banned
I miss being in marching band (as well as concert band, but mostly marching band). That shit was so much fun.

Top Bottom