• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Things in gaming you want but will never get?

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
A next gen only, non open world SSX sequel.
A next gen only, non open world Bioshock, the return to Rapture.
A Ninja Gaiden Sequel with the same ambition and quality level as Ninja Gaiden Black.
More focus on mature, deep stories in the industry.

ksdixon

disagree, id honestly preffer the anime stuff over yet another generic pixel game...
i also find the fandom for mania obnoxious so please don't touch the retro pixel style, not even with a 10 foot pole anymore.. people made it obnoxious.
i'm not talking about that slapass fake 8-bit style that all the indy dev's love. I've had my fill of that crap as well.

I'm talking visuals that look like spruced-up 16bit megadrive pixel graphics. Maybe there's more enemies or more hitbox effects, just as long as it plays faithfully/looks faithfully adapted to it's megadrive counterpart.

VN1X

Banned
A gamer girlfriend
Hmm, something's off.

mG38STd.png

CKYSazk.png

giphy.gif

Computer enhance.

P7pMoDc.png

giphy.gif

i'm not talking about that slapass fake 8-bit style that all the indy dev's love. I've had my fill of that crap as well.

I'm talking visuals that look like spruced-up 16bit megadrive pixel graphics. Maybe there's more enemies or more hitbox effects, just as long as it plays faithfully/looks faithfully adapted to it's megadrive counterpart.
hard disagree, problem is that even indie game devs did that a lot, nowdays it's more common to see the same style mania used.

the problem with Sonic Mania is that it realied to much on Nostalgia but didn't make anything new, only 4 stages were original, and they didn't even use the more expressive Sonic 3 & Knuckles sprites, if that was already a problem with a prevalent franchise that has been doing that for years, imagine the first taste of a pretty much dead franchise like Shinobi or Golden Axe since the 90's being yet another Nostalgia Pandering game. i just hate that idea.

why not a Classic Sonic game that plays just like Sonic Generations' Classic stages with 2.5D camera angles, a stylized yet also realistic PlatinumGames style reboot of Shinobi? and it doesn't have to just be the mainstream stuff, maybe a even more stylized Comix Zone sequel that looks akin to Beautyful Joe? or a Dynamite Dux sequel in the same artstyle as Wonder Boy: Dragon's Trap, yeah, remember Dynamite Dux, the semi-obscure master system beat em' up that was created before Sonic yet according to Sonic the Fighters, shares universe?

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
A new Deus Ex.
A new Splinter Cell (although given we're talking about modern day Ubisoft, I'd rather the series remain dead).
A new Thief. (Someone, please, wrest the IP from Square).
For System Shock 3 to be complete and away from Chinese hands.
And for Hideo Kojima to never make another game ever again.

ksdixon

hard disagree, problem is that even indie game devs did that a lot, nowdays it's more common to see the same style mania used.

the problem with Sonic Mania is that it realied to much on Nostalgia but didn't make anything new, only 4 stages were original, and they didn't even use the more expressive Sonic 3 & Knuckles sprites, if that was already a problem with a prevalent franchise that has been doing that for years, imagine the first taste of a pretty much dead franchise like Shinobi or Golden Axe since the 90's being yet another Nostalgia Pandering game. i just hate that idea.

why not a Classic Sonic game that plays just like Sonic Generations' Classic stages with 2.5D camera angles, a stylized yet also realistic PlatinumGames style reboot of Shinobi? and it doesn't have to just be the mainstream stuff, maybe a even more stylized Comix Zone sequel that looks akin to Beautyful Joe? or a Dynamite Dux sequel in the same artstyle as Wonder Boy: Dragon's Trap, yeah, remember Dynamite Dux, the semi-obscure master system beat em' up that was created before Sonic yet according to Sonic the Fighters, shares universe?
Man.... do we have some differences of opinions. Generations' 2.5 stages were only a half step towards what people actually wanted. They were great at the time when that was all we had, but in terms of old Sonic game fans, we wanted gameplay faithful - or damn near close to it - versions of 2D Sonic levels with Classic Sonic. It's like... why would I ever want some half-assed lip service?

And why would I want something that simply uses the IP name, but is something totally different like moving into a new genre? That's like Xbox360 era Syndicate having feck all to do with the old Syndicate game(s), and to my opinion is just slapping customers in the face. Case in point: which was more well received, and spawned it's own sequel line, XCOM Enemy Unknown (turn-based gameplay like the older games, given a modern graphics overhaul), or The Beuro: XCOM Declassified (genre shift that might as well have been a new IP, but they wanted the cache of the old name despite it being not the same gameplay as the old games)? I'm willing to bet that XCOM Enemy Unknown is the more popular title. Just like Sonic Mania was the best selling Sonic game of the last 20 years (or whatever metric was touted after it released).

You tell me Streets Of Rage, and I want Remake 2, not the anime visual-style of SOR4. I see artstyle like that a dime a dozen in any number of slapass indy titles.

The way to do it is to have a dormant IP, and do a left hand/right hand kind of deal.
- In the left hand you have the gameplay and visual artstyle faithful new game on modern hardware. Golden Axe 4 for the sake of argument, as a 2D scrolling beat 'em up.
- In the right hand you have some genre-switched attempt at modernizing an old IP. Golden Axe-Souls, for the sake of argument.

If you're really lucky, you get a mega successful relaunch of an IP, and two new timelines of games to follow-through with. Maybe you tick-tock the releases each time. But overall I bet you'd have a lot more happy customers. No one feels left out. And specifically the old fans, whom I assume you're trying to leverage their nostalgia anyway or else why reuse the IP, they don't feel like a slap in the face because they got a new Golden Axe game, but only in name only. No matter what avenue you want to take the game IP down in the future, you always gotta cater to the oldschool fans of that IP, or else you're ultimately going to fail. (See: Golden Axe Beast Rider)

Man.... do we have some differences of opinions. Generations' 2.5 stages were only a half step towards what people actually wanted. They were great at the time when that was all we had, but in terms of old Sonic game fans, we wanted gameplay faithful - or damn near close to it - versions of 2D Sonic levels with Classic Sonic. It's like... why would I ever want some half-assed lip service?

And why would I want something that simply uses the IP name, but is something totally different like moving into a new genre? That's like Xbox360 era Syndicate having feck all to do with the old Syndicate game(s), and to my opinion is just slapping customers in the face. Case in point: which was more well received, and spawned it's own sequel line, XCOM Enemy Unknown (turn-based gameplay like the older games, given a modern graphics overhaul), or The Beuro: XCOM Declassified (genre shift that might as well have been a new IP, but they wanted the cache of the old name despite it being not the same gameplay as the old games)? I'm willing to bet that XCOM Enemy Unknown is the more popular title. Just like Sonic Mania was the best selling Sonic game of the last 20 years (or whatever metric was touted after it released).

You tell me Streets Of Rage, and I want Remake 2, not the anime visual-style of SOR4. I see artstyle like that a dime a dozen in any number of slapass indy titles.

The way to do it is to have a dormant IP, and do a left hand/right hand kind of deal.
- In the left hand you have the gameplay and visual artstyle faithful new game on modern hardware. Golden Axe 4 for the sake of argument, as a 2D scrolling beat 'em up.
- In the right hand you have some genre-switched attempt at modernizing an old IP. Golden Axe-Souls, for the sake of argument.

If you're really lucky, you get a mega successful relaunch of an IP, and two new timelines of games to follow-through with. Maybe you tick-tock the releases each time. But overall I bet you'd have a lot more happy customers. No one feels left out. And specifically the old fans, whom I assume you're trying to leverage their nostalgia anyway or else why reuse the IP, they don't feel like a slap in the face because they got a new Golden Axe game, but only in name only. No matter what avenue you want to take the game IP down in the future, you always gotta cater to the oldschool fans of that IP, or else you're ultimately going to fail. (See: Golden Axe Beast Rider)
except the classic stages were faithful, just with the use of updated 3D graphics that made it feel new, sure the physics were slightly off, but it still played well enough, it's like what Mario did with the New Super Mario Bros. series before they starter milking it, if anything i see more slapass indie games use the same 16 bit artstyle retro style and id honestly rather have new graphics

and sure i agree that maybe making a reboot might be incredibly risky, as it was proven before like with the crappy reboots, but sometimes it can re-kindle the franchise like with Ninja Gaiden. and honestly aslong as it still feels like a Shinobi game it can work. even if it isn't what people wanted

A nintendo game that appeals to me. I really want to love them as much as other people did. But since I didn't play them go up I see them for the 7-8s they are.

ksdixon

except the classic stages were faithful, just with the use of updated 3D graphics that made it feel new, sure the physics were slightly off, but it still played well enough, it's like what Mario did with the New Super Mario Bros. series before they starter milking it, if anything i see more slapass indie games use the same 16 bit artstyle retro style and id honestly rather have new graphics

and sure i agree that maybe making a reboot might be incredibly risky, as it was proven before like with the crappy reboots, but sometimes it can re-kindle the franchise like with Ninja Gaiden. and honestly aslong as it still feels like a Shinobi game it can work. even if it isn't what people wanted

It's gotta be gameplay faithful, and visual style faithful. There's a reason why Sonic Mania is loved, and Sonic 4 sucks ass. It's 2d scrolling, right? It's Classic Sonic, right? It should be 'good enough', right? Wrong! Do it right, or leave the IP dead. You can have your modernized reimagining, but give us our game too. We're whom you're trying to appeal to by reusing the name.

if they only release a Golden Axe Souls, like in my previous example, I'm pissed because the name is used but it's not what I wanted. I don't buy it. Many people don't buy it becasue it's not what they wanted from a Golden Axe revival. However, if they release GA:Souls and a MegaDrive gameplay/visual style faithful new game, GA4, not only am I happy and SEGA make money on people like me from their successfull IP renewal, but hey, I'm more likely to give the new GA:Souls a try too, because I've got what I wanted too. They end-up with more money in their pocket from people buying both styles of game. I'd probably never give it a go if GA:Souls was the only thing on offer. I'd rent it, or play the demo, but I wouldn't be there day 1 picking it up.

It's gotta be gameplay faithful, and visual style faithful. There's a reason why Sonic Mania is loved, and Sonic 4 sucks ass. It's 2d scrolling, right? It's Classic Sonic, right? It should be 'good enough', right? Wrong! Do it right, or leave the IP dead. You can have your modernized reimagining, but give us our game too. We're whom you're trying to appeal to by reusing the name.

if they only release a Golden Axe Souls, like in my previous example, I'm pissed because the name is used but it's not what I wanted. I don't buy it. Many people don't buy it becasue it's not what they wanted from a Golden Axe revival. However, if they release GA:Souls and a MegaDrive gameplay/visual style faithful new game, GA4, not only am I happy and SEGA make money on people like me from their successfull IP renewal, but hey, I'm more likely to give the new GA:Souls a try too, because I've got what I wanted too. They end-up with more money in their pocket from people buying both styles of game. I'd probably never give it a go if GA:Souls was the only thing on offer. I'd rent it, or play the demo, but I wouldn't be there day 1 picking it up.
Sonic 4 Episode 1 sucked because it felt cheap and had terrible physics, while Sonic 4 E2 was somewhat good, it still just coudn't live up to Sonic 3 & Knuckles. and thing is, you don't need to copy the console limitations to still be style faithfull, SoR4's anime style worked just as well, and it was a good game, it looks and feels like a Streets of Rage the same way New Super Mario Bros. looks and feels like a Mario game.

i agree with the rest, it's a very risky move to completely chnage the series, i would also think a new classic style Shinobi would be the prefferable choice, but i also think that aslong as the new direction fits the series then it could work, like with Ninja Gaiden, i also think it would both add more variety to the kinds of games SEGA makes while also making good use of old IP's like Nintendo does.

Last edited:

ksdixon

Sonic 4 Episode 1 sucked because it felt cheap and had terrible physics, while Sonic 4 E2 was somewhat good, it still just coudn't live up to Sonic 3 & Knuckles. and thing is, you don't need to copy the console limitations to still be style faithfull, SoR4's anime style worked just as well, and it was a good game, it looks and feels like a Streets of Rage the same way New Super Mario Bros. looks and feels like a Mario game.

and like i said i do agree with how risky that would be, but if it's done right and the new direction fits the series (example: Shinobi May Cry fits better than Golden Axe Souls)

I'm not saying modernizations are automatically bad. I believe Shinobi PS2 is looked-upon favorabley? But then you have Golden Axe Beast Rider. I'm just saying that if given the choice, I would wager that more people would want an IP revival to be a polished-up faithful recreation of what they remembered. They are less likely to give a shot to something that just uses the name but is something different.

If company's want to try that, all the more power to them, so long as that isn't all they're brining to the table. Ports Collection/releases onto digital stores (not just mobile, SE!); tagged with a gameplay/visual style faithful new game, teamed with a modernization/genre-shifting use of the IP name. Go for the trifecta, and see profits SOAR.

EDIT: If SEGA did this with Golden Axe, and it the new gameplay faithful game happened to not sell enough.. well, I'd shut up. Because I'd have seen SEGA give it their all to relaunch the IP, not just a half-assed effort or slapping the name onto some game for a nostalgia grab. I can't ask for anything more than their god's honest best attempt. But most of the time, they don't do this, and it just leaves everyone feeling unsatisfied. Old fans and newcommers. Do it right, or don't do it at all. That's just my opinion though.

Last edited:
A Crusaders Kings like game with Bannerlord warfare gameplay that will allow me to have similar experiences of Julius Caesar's life with more events, situations and decisions to be made that can weave my story beyond what is already provided.

Sublyme

Neo Member
Master Chief Collection to not randomly disconnect in the middle of legendary co-op campaigns and lose all level progress, like just happened at the end of jackal fucking valley in Halo 2.

Dr. Suchong

Don't know how old you are, but if you are over 35, then they don't exist, or they are a rarity. Believe me (had one years ago in the ps1 era was great, we broke up and she OD'd). Been trying to find one ever since my divorce, its neigh on impossible according to interests on the dating sites. Best bet just find one who accepts you gaming.
Sad but true :messenger_frowning_

A brand new Paper Mario in the style of the first two games. TTYD needs a real sequel. Or Paper Luigi, detailing his adventures in the Waffle Kingdom. Or Super Mario RPG 2 with Geno and Mallow. Or a new Mario & Luigi, preferably with Fawful. I'd even be happy with Super Paper Mario 2, that one was underrated.

I love the Mario RPGs if you couldn't tell.

Ceadeus

I'm starting to believe that the PS5 is just an urban legend. Does that count?

This and Metroid Prime 4.

Battle pass flushed down the toilet

Shills ostracised by gamers

Deliberately Over the top “fanboys” and “insiders” stop given donations and attention

Xbox to have a first party a little bit like Sony’s in some areas

Marketing people actually understanding the market and act accordingly rather than pretending to

Nintendo to have a UI/Feature set like Xbox/PlayStation

Someone make a brilliant X-Men RPG in the spirit of a Mass Effect or Witcher

Top Bottom