• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Think we are going to get a deck-setting in future games?

sunnysideup

Banned
If the greatest handheld of all time is somewhat successful. Which it will be. Do you think games come with a settings preset for specially made the deck? It is a standardised system. It would not be hard to release a game with a deck 60fps or 30fps preset.

Maybe the mod community will make 30/60fps presets settings.

I barely have time to fiddle with my stationary pc. On an handheld pc i would be even less inclined to fiddle with settings.

Cryio

You're confusing the Deck for a console backed by a major player. It's not. It's just a PC.

You'll be able to modify settings in games or limit fps like you can on PC. Nothing more, nothing less. Possibly a bit limiting even until AMD decides to include the RDNA iGPU drivers included in their regular monthly drivers. Also mobo and WiFi drivers if you chose to install W10/11 on this device.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Your both flat out wrong. In the frequently asked questions video on ign valve already said they had profiles already for the deck that would load optimized settings. They are making attempts to streamline and make the portable/console like experience better than "just a pc".

sunnysideup

Banned
Its a standardized system. All of them are the same. That makes it much easier to have a pre-set setting that is loosely optimized.

Deck setting game?
5e16aecb52f7f5ab133022079fa76cbe.jpg

It's a PC with Steam pre-installed, you can adjust settings in PC games to run on any hardware, even hardware below the minimum settings if you know what you're doing.

Astral Dog

Maybe, but it needs to sell very well.
One concern is storage space, because games aren't made for portable specifications they end up eating lots of memory for only 800p and that is gonna be expensive if you want it for your 'main' gamming platform, DOOM alone eats like 100GB

For example look at Switch games and how pocket sized Nintendo makes them to fit on 8GB cards, many third parties follow and its rare to see a 16GB+game

AndrewRyan

I hope Valve does with game settings what Nvidia did with controller settings on the Nvidia Shield. It's a community app where you upload your button-mappings with a description of how they are mapped and anyone can download and rate your settings. The good ones always end up being voted to the top and makes it sooo easy to get the best controller settings for every game.

This would work perfectly for the Switch Deck too if they did the same thing for graphics options.

If the greatest handheld of all time is somewhat successful. Which it will be. Do you think games come with a settings preset for specially made the deck? It is a standardised system. It would not be hard to release a game with a deck 60fps or 30fps preset.

I barely have time to fiddle with my stationary pc. On an handheld pc i would be even less inclined to fiddle with settings.

gary coleman wtf GIF

Pull n Pray

Banned

If it is widely adopted, then absolutely this will happen eventually.

Agent X

In the frequently asked questions video on ign valve already said they had profiles already for the deck that would load optimized settings. They are making attempts to streamline and make the portable/console like experience better than "just a pc".

That's good to hear.

I hope Valve does with game settings what Nvidia did with controller settings on the Nvidia Shield. It's a community app where you upload your button-mappings with a description of how they are mapped and anyone can download and rate your settings. The good ones always end up being voted to the top and makes it sooo easy to get the best controller settings for every game.

Steam already does this with the Steam Controller and some other popular controllers.

If the Steam Deck is a major success, then I would expect that a lot of developers will release future games with profiles optimized for Steam Deck. For older games, you might see some developers go back and create a custom profile themselves (especially for popular games), while others will have profiles that are created and contributed by the community.

BabyYoda

Banned
Maybe, but it needs to sell very well.
One concern is storage space, because games aren't made for portable specifications they end up eating lots of memory for only 800p and that is gonna be expensive if you want it for your 'main' gamming platform, DOOM alone eats like 100GB

For example look at Switch games and how pocket sized Nintendo makes them to fit on 8GB cards, many third parties follow and its rare to see a 16GB+game
That's a concern I have fullstop, I'm tired of downloading massive files when I'm playing on a 1080p screen, it's time they started adding the ability to uncheck the 4K textures and videos (plus mp etc) box before downloading! For me it's more of a download speed issue, but either way, it would be really convenient to give us that kind of control over what exactly we download.

Top Bottom