• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thinking about buying an iPhone for the first time

dcll

Banned
I posted this on a Mac site but would like some more maybe unbiased opinions. I am not a fanboy/nerd about anything so I’ll get that out of the way. I have been on Android since my Blackberry, I currently use a Pixel 3 XL and am very happy with it. What brings this all about is I have an old celeron desktop I don’t really ever use that is probably ten years old and an iPad Air 3 I use daily. When the m1 Mac mini came out it really piqued my interest in replacing my old desktop. I was thinking it would be nice to be able to use iMessage on my iPad and Mac if I buy it but right now I don’t use iMessage on my iPad because I use a Pixel.

if I buy an iPhone, the camera has to be as good as the Pixel 3 so what is the bare minimum iPhone I should consider that is also at least the same screen size? It also need to be waterproof because I kayak a lot and do a lot of outdoor activities. I also am not buying new because I refuse to pay a crazy amount these new phones cost. I would be fine buying a used phone a generation or two old. I am pretty certain I’m going to buy a Mac mini, I might what until the second generation of the m1 chip assuming they come out yearly. If not I may just go ahead and buy the m1.

Last edited:

kamkamkam

I posted this on a Mac site but would like some more maybe unbiased opinions. I am not a fanboy/nerd about anything so I’ll get that out of the way. I have been on Android since my Blackberry, I currently use a Pixel 3 XL and am very happy with it. What brings this all about is I have an old celeron desktop I don’t really ever use that is probably ten years old and an iPad Air 3 I use daily. When the m1 Mac mini came out it really piqued my interest in replacing my old desktop. I was thinking it would be nice to be able to use iMessage on my iPad and Mac if I buy it but right now I don’t use iMessage on my iPad because I use a Pixel.

if I buy an iPhone, the camera has to be as good as the Pixel 3 so what is the bare minimum iPhone I should consider that is also at least the same screen size? It also need to be waterproof because I kayak a lot and do a lot of outdoor activities. I also am not buying new because I refuse to pay a crazy amount these new phones cost. I would be fine buying a used phone a generation or two old. I am pretty certain I’m going to buy a Mac mini, I might what until the second generation of the m1 chip assuming they come out yearly. If not I may just go ahead and buy the m1.
The pixel cameras are quite hard to beat.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Blah blah specs.

The important part is that you don't really own your iphone. They let you use it (and pay for it of course).
How you mean ? The forced obsolescence?

i like my iPhone but to be honest. I don’t notice much difference between the 12 and X maybe some better looking photos.

I do miss Android but I do like the way my phone keeps running well

I am using my wife’s 2011 Mac book pro and it still works almost like new. I don’t do anything intensive so it does what I need.

Sakura

I used to use Android till I switched to the iPhone X a couple years. Really great phone, and I gotta say I prefer iPhones now.
Would never use a mac over PC though.
If you are getting one, get one with an OLED screen, the regular 11s and the XR are LCD iirc while the X, 11 max/pro, and all the 12s have OLED.

Soodanim

Ignore the angry emotional nonsense you’ve already gotten and will get more of. The fact of the matter is you need to decide whether or not what Apple offers is worth it to you. Namely, the interconnectivity between their devices and the “It just works” experience Bethesda wish they had.

A year or so ago I switched from Android to an iPhone XR, because nothing in the Android space interested me and I knew if I went outside of a few phones I’d have 3rd party shit thrown in and probably Facebook bundled in for good measure (yes, I know you can remove them).

I initially tried the phone for 2 weeks because they had a no fuss return policy, and I was happy enough with the phone to keep it. Apple is expensive, and there are a few things I miss from Android (nothing major), but I know what I got is well supported and works well.

As for the specs and comparisons, you’re better off Googling for reviews and camera examples.

dcll

Banned
There are some things I don't like about my ipad though, mainly sharing files and I do not like the home screens with folders but at the end of the day I don't really care. I am not into the childish tribalism people get into with phones, game systems, sports etc...I just dont give a shit and have no loyalty to brands/companies.

Last edited:

T8SC

source.gif

Karmic Raze

I like my iPhone 11 Pro Max, but it gives me problems sometimes. I have to restart it because of apps “blanking out” and things like that. It doesn’t happen often, though. If you have an iPad and all that then an iPhone would be a good investment in my book. I have an iPad Air 4 myself, but I don’t really bother with the connectivity other than the 50GB of iCloud storage I pay for that is shared between my iPhone and iPad which is really convenient for me, but that’s just something I enjoy about the ecosystem. I noticed that while my iPhone’s screen is much brighter than my iPad’s it isn’t the same quality. Maybe I just prefer the iPad over the iPhone, but I think images look better on it (not just because it’s on a larger screen).

Last edited:

Durask

Both collect info on you but Apple only uses it internally and Google will sell it to anyone and everyone, so I do not use Android for my regular phone.

So for privacy purposes I think iPhone and Mac with non google search is a good idea.

Also iMHO iPhone 12 Pro Max does have the best cameras on the market right now. I have not tried the top of the line S21 but I do have the latest Galaxy Note as my backup/second line so I am able to do 1:1 comparison.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
As someone who jumps between both OS, they're both fully functional and capable modern platforms.

I do prefer using iPhones because in my experience not only the device and its built in software but also third party apps are more polished.

One negative of iOS is that a lot of fantastic apps that you had available for a one time purchase that weren't available on Android have recently switched to subscription models. This has somewhat diminished the appeal of the ecosystem, IMHO.

Finally, if you love voice assistants I'd strongly advice to stay on Android. Siri is not as good as google assistant. On the other hand if you find wearable tech interesting, nothing on the Android side can't touch the Apple Watch.

edit: this is all just my opinion and experience, your mileage may vary.

Last edited:

johntown

Banned
I hate Macs but I love iPhones. If you want a phenomenal camera get the iPhone 12 Pro. If you want a bigger screen than what the Pro has get the Max.

Karmic Raze

If I was going to get another iPhone, I’d definitely trade mine in for an iPhone 12 Mini. I’m tired of these huge phones. Too bad I still owe like $1,000 on my lease.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Love my iPhone, highly recommend it. Especially great if you have an Apple Watch, iPad or Mac’s in the house.

Go for it and welcome to the Blue Bubble Master Race :)

OnionSnake

Banned
I switched to iPhone around this time last year when the iPhone SE came out. It’s mostly great with some annoying caveats. Overall though it’s been a good move and iOS has gotten better since I bought in with the new iOS13 updates. That and the Apple Watch are great

I like the iPhone 12 mini but my SE is fine, might upgrade next year if they address the battery stuff or add 120hz screens

Last edited:

Dural

I switched to IOS a year ago and have no regrets, the battery life on the iphone is just so much better than Android. On weekends I usually charge my phone friday night and don't charge it again until sunday night. If you don't care about the telephoto lens that is on the Pro phones, the camera on the iphone 11 is great and you'll still get the night mode for low light photography. Plus you should be able to save some money going with the 11 over the 12 or Pro models.

The one thing that sucks is the support for emulators, I still have a cheap Android phone that I use as a portable emulator.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
I bought like over 40 movies through Apple and later found out that I can't watch them on my fukking android phone ( I ride the metro a lot & watch movies sometimes while I ride). :messenger_loudly_crying: been thinking about making a switch too just haven't made the jump yet. i'm considering purchasing an iPad as well

Rubik8

I switched to an iPhone 11 in January 2020 after using Android for the last 10 years. Mainly I wanted a better camera and to be on the same platform as the wife and kids. I’ve been very happy with it. After getting used to the interface and gestures, I don’t think I could go back to a Samsung or LG. (Never owned a Pixel, but wasn’t impressed with the demo I had on one).

paparazzo

I bought like over 40 movies through Apple and later found out that I can't watch them on my fukking android phone ( I ride the metro a lot & watch movies sometimes while I ride). :messenger_loudly_crying: been thinking about making a switch too just haven't made the jump yet. i'm considering purchasing an iPad as well
Have you tried Movies Anywhere? It’ll port your iTunes purchases over to like five other digital services for free.

Mistake

Do you know anyone who will let you use theirs? You’ll probably be fine with an 11. I’d consider upgrading mine, but my 6S still works good enough. Oh, and if you want waterproof, get a case. Don’t rely on whatever apple says

Last edited:

highrider

Banned
Great phones with superior software for ease of use. Was on Android for many years, regret not accepting Apple was better much earlier despite not liking Apple really lol. Also hold value, Android phone is worthless after two or 3 years.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Go for it OP you will instantly think android is hacky as fuck.
Also enjoy a normal app store ;)

I still like android.. but it’s one big giant mess.
IOS tho.. it just fucking works.
don’t forget to get an apple watch (best smart watch imo)

and maybe some airpods.

i got the galaxy fold 2 for a couple of days just to test it etc.. but went back to my iphone..

android still feels like a beta product after all these years. How open it may be.

Last edited:
Love my iPhone 8 and it's an old model by now. Lots of small convenient features, like you can easily save any image from anywhere, crop it, edit it etc. I also love being able to easily organize images into albums and even arrange each album's content in the order I want. Sharing media between apps or from a browser to an app is also effortless. Furthermore it doesn't heat up unlike the many Android phones I owned or tried over the years. I'm not going back to Android because it's such a mess between faulty hardware and the malware.

Cyberpunkd

It's simple really - if for some reason you love to play around with the most minor settings for everything instead of getting shit done and using the phone as a tool + you don't mind Google spying on everything you do - go Android.

For everything else - go Apple.

Android should only exist as a budget sub-200$ phone, the moment you even reach an iPhone SE price point there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to go Android except for the one I described above.

if I buy an iPhone, the camera has to be as good as the Pixel 3.
Why? Are you doing 400% crop like all the tech reviewers and putting that picture on 65" TV? iPhone cameras were and are fine, just. play with color gamut and contrast settings and you will have beautiful photos. If you really care about the camera performance buy a DSLR for $500, it will always make photos miles above the smartphone due to the size of a sensor.

Last edited:

dcll

Banned
It's simple really - if for some reason you love to play around with the most minor settings for everything instead of getting shit done and using the phone as a tool + you don't mind Google spying on everything you do - go Android.

For everything else - go Apple.

Android should only exist as a budget sub-200$ phone, the moment you even reach an iPhone SE price point there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to go Android except for the one I described above.

Why? Are you doing 400% crop like all the tech reviewers and putting that picture on 65" TV? iPhone cameras were and are fine, just. play with color gamut and contrast settings and you will have beautiful photos. If you really care about the camera performance buy a DSLR for $500, it will always make photos miles above the smartphone due to the size of a sensor.
You sound overly biased, I'm not.into that stuff and I have a Canon 6d mkii

DarkestHour

Banned
I switched from Samsung Android-based phones last year to iPhone (for second time) last year.

My takeaways:
1. If you use something like Timely for an alarm clock, there's nothing I've yet found on iOS that even comes close. I still keep my old Galaxy S8 simply to be an alarm clock because the iOS one is such shit.
2. For some reason, something simple like rebooting the phone on iOS requires a full shut down and power on.
3. No lock screen customization, so you have to always log in to see simple things.
4. Most, if not all, Google services are on iPhone now, so unless you prefer one OS over the other, both platforms are mostly equal.
5. Using your face to unlock the phone is really annoying in the dark or when wearing a mask. Fingerprint sensors are so much better imo.

Cyberpunkd

You sound overly biased, I'm not.into that stuff and I have a Canon 6d mkii
It's not bias, it's being honest with yourself about what you want and also looking at things objectively. Flagship cameras for number of years now differ very little and even that is then processed further by software with AI image enhancement, tone balancing, etc. All the tech reviews of phones go into nitpicky details I mentioned e.g. showing differences with 400% crop that no normal person actually cares about.

If you want to be super picky about your pictures and still use a phone then shoot in RAW (which iPhone supports) and then edit it in e.g. Photoshop.

Everything I mentioned still stands - I can compare it to a developer willing to spend 12 months building something on top of open source instead of buying off-the-shelf solution to get the same result in 2 months. If you want to customize everything about your phone because that 1% workflow improvement will change your life - go Android. If you want to get shit done - go iPhone.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Everything I mentioned still stands - I can compare it to a developer willing to spend 12 months building something on top of open source instead of buying off-the-shelf solution to get the same result in 2 months.

And then the customer comes with a new need not covered by the off-the-shelf solution and you're too small for the software provider to commit dev resources to give you what you want and are stuck with years of debt being built on a platform you don't own.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
After 10 years of buying iPhones, my next phone will be an android. Sick of corporations playing politics and I’m sick of apple’s lack of innovation and iteration.

dcll

Banned
It's not bias, it's being honest with yourself about what you want and also looking at things objectively. Flagship cameras for number of years now differ very little and even that is then processed further by software with AI image enhancement, tone balancing, etc. All the tech reviews of phones go into nitpicky details I mentioned e.g. showing differences with 400% crop that no normal person actually cares about.

If you want to be super picky about your pictures and still use a phone then shoot in RAW (which iPhone supports) and then edit it in e.g. Photoshop.

Everything I mentioned still stands - I can compare it to a developer willing to spend 12 months building something on top of open source instead of buying off-the-shelf solution to get the same result in 2 months. If you want to customize everything about your phone because that 1% workflow improvement will change your life - go Android. If you want to get shit done - go iPhone.
I don’t care about all that an Android has been fine for me personally

Sony

Nintendo
I have an Android phone as my private, daily phone, and an iPhone as my business phone.
My opinion on the subject:
Android is more feature rich and fun to use
iPhone does the job as well but is quite boring to use

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
Android is more feature rich and fun to use
iPhone does the job as well but is quite boring to use
I agree. I talk shit about iPhones, but they're decent devices that get the job done. Simple and straightforward. Android can be rooted, or you can buy unlocked, and install custom shit and tweak it the way you want.
I currently use an iPhone because of my daughter, the family sharing feature is impressive, allows me to edit and block contacts, set time limits on apps, block sites, certain ratings on media, and share apps I buy. It's the only reason I use the iPhone and the only reason I will use the iPhone, it's pretty boring other than that.

Cyberpunkd

And then the customer comes with a new need not covered by the off-the-shelf solution and you're too small for the software provider to commit dev resources to give you what you want and are stuck with years of debt being built on a platform you don't own.
If you too small to accommodate client demands you are definitely too small to handle the 12 months in-house, but good try. Let's not even start with 'if a client wants it we need to code it' as a way to scale. Or the fact that 'platform that you own' will continue to accumulate technical debt and require constant maintenance.

Last edited:

Paasei

I was thinking the same as you, OP. Last year was supposed to be my first time switch. From an android phone (OP6) to an iPhone 12 pro.
The not getting a specific charger is one of those. For that price of a luxury product, I expect to get it too. Even if their claim to help the planet was real, I would then still need to order a seperate brick.
That brick comes in yet another box, with possible another sheet of paper and so on....

I have to admit, this latest iPhone looks really slick. It is tempting, but I'm not yet convinced.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
If you too small to accommodate client demands you are definitely too small to handle the 12 months in-house, but good try. Let's not even start with 'if a client wants it we need to code it' as a way to scale. Or the fact that 'platform that you own' will continue to accumulate technical debt and require constant maintenance.

With consolidation and providers getting bigger than ever, nothing but the biggest clients matter.

We manage 4k citrix workstations and the fuckers don't move an inch to solve our problems. Not trying to build a citrix alternative, just saying you can be big enough to do stuff yourself and still have off the shelf providers not give a shit about you.

Last edited:

Soodanim

I’ve already posted, but here’s some more take aways from my time with my iPhone XR compared to older Android versions.

Stock apps: Apple wins. I was forever looking for alternatives with Android and the Play Store didn’t have much worth noting half the time. With Apple it’s there and it works. Photos are a great example, Android has many pretenders to the throne but they either want to sell a service or just be a poor copy of what iOS has.

Notifications: Android wins here, no question. From apps freezing when you pull down what’s usually hidden notifications to the generally limited handling of notifications themselves, Android’s more open and noticeable approach is miles ahead and one of the main things I miss.

App Store: I have to give it to Android on this one. Play Store might have some rubbish, but so does the App Store and Android has the option of additional app stores. Part of the reason Android has more is iPhone’s walled garden approach. That leads into the next point.

App capability: Android wins. iOS apps are solid, but for when you want different or more, Android has your back. Whether it’s a new keyboard, automation, or an app with an overlay (either a floating chat bubble or something for a game), Android apps can do more because of the open nature. You can change your keyboard on iOS, but SwiftKey and others are basically using the same layout and characters as the stock keyboard. I want more Unicode. Automation can be done on iOS, but certain things have to be popped up and confirmed, like turning on/off WiFi. The garden isn’t perfect.

I’ve given Android the win on most points here, but I want to be honest about the things you might not realise you’ll miss until they’re gone. Overall I’m happy with my iPhone XR as it’s a very snappy device, and although face masks have ruined FaceID in public settings now winter and gloves ruin fingerprints every single year so I’ll take the temporary setback.

How you mean ? The forced obsolescence?
Yah, also.

I had an iphone4 back in the day, and a macbook.
At first it was pretty great, but as time passes things get closed off, you get forced to use particular software, etc.

You own the metal, but accessing the functionality is funneled through apple itself. I found it more and more restrictive over time.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Yah, also.

I had an iphone4 back in the day, and a macbook.
At first it was pretty great, but as time passes things get closed off, you get forced to use particular software, etc.

You own the metal, but accessing the functionality is funneled through apple itself. I found it more and more restrictive over time.
ahh that sucks yeah, I do like the open ended (I know not truly as that is linux) style of PC and windows
but I know they more freedom I have the more I may tinker and screw up the computer lol so MAC are idiot proof for me lol

Reallink

Both collect info on you but Apple only uses it internally and Google will sell it to anyone and everyone, so I do not use Android for my regular phone.

So for privacy purposes I think iPhone and Mac with non google search is a good idea.

Also iMHO iPhone 12 Pro Max does have the best cameras on the market right now. I have not tried the top of the line S21 but I do have the latest Galaxy Note as my backup/second line so I am able to do 1:1 comparison.

Why do you have $2200+ invested into cell phones, and why would you need a $1000+ "backup" phone?

Entroyp

Good Choice if you don’t like to spend time thinkering trying to make your phone work.

Last edited:

Larlight

I used to be straight Android for years until I picked up a Iphone 6S. I was tired of how the Android phones would become outdated. I needed a phone that just worked. Once I got it, it did what I needed it to do. The apps worked better on Iphone. The camera didn't take 5 seconds for it to snap a picture. (So many bad pictures on Android phones.) The way it's interconnected with other devices and the constant updates that rollout many years after the phone has been great. I upgraded to an 11 pro and it's been great. Long battery, great camera, best video camera's on the market(Iphones video cameras in general) and to a less extent I enjoy the blue bubbles instead of the outdated SMS crap.

thefool

I have an old iphone (6 or 7, not sure). It just works. Have no idea what people are doing to change their phones regularly.
Itunes on windows is excruciating to use tho

Durask

Why do you have $2200+ invested into cell phones, and why would you need a $1000+ "backup" phone?

Electronics are never an investment. As to why, I like to play with stuff.

My backup phone is also my vacation phone which I use when I do not want anyone except immediate family to reach me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom