• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thinking about buying an iPhone for the first time

daveonezero

Banned
Why do you have $2200+ invested into cell phones, and why would you need a $1000+ "backup" phone?
It is a good habit to have one for business and one for personal.

Since these phones have a lot of information on them it is good to have hardware separation from a purely security standpoint.

I have an old school SE and I like it. I would like an upgrade but There isn't a phone I would replace it with. Small Androids suck hardware wise and the Mini is super expensive.

dr_octagon

Banned
the android experience, even on mid range phones, is far better than 5 years ago and it has caught up with iphones. i switched from using iphones and not missed anything.

i would still recommend apple, they make quality products and focus on user experience is top notch.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
negative no way GIF by 1091
QTp0yfJ.gif

iPhone is pretty fucking good. Especially when paired with other things from the Apple ecosystem. I love that my iPhone 8 connects to my MacBook Pro and then my AirPods Pro seemlessly switch between both.

Buuuuuuut.... iOS and MacOS are pretty boring. Barely any customization, and you're limited to the App Store for all your needs. I miss Android and I'm considering switching back (that Xiaomi Mi 11 looks so fucking good) but I admit that my iPhone 8 still running iOS really well makes it harder for me to switch - if I buy a phone it needs to last me at least 3 years.

But performance wise, for daily use, Android and iOS are pretty much the same. So whatever you choose you won't see much difference.

99Luffy

Banned
I was on android for years before I moved to ios. My thoughts:

-I bought an Samsung S9 and then downgraded to an iphone 8. I still use both regularly although only the iphone 8 I use for calls. At first the S9 was clearly faster but now the S9 is slow af and the iphone 8 is still zippy. Im not sure if this is a samsung thing or an android thing.
-The only bad thing about ios is that you'll most likely wanna use apple services so that everything is integrated nicely, and the crappy thing about apple apps is they usually have shitty google cast support. Airplay sucks.

Last edited:

Blade2.0

I like Android more but iPhones aren't bad. Too expensive for what you get, to me, and I think the software is actually better on Android as well. But I used an iPad pro and a 6s for a long time before going back to Android and it wasn't the worst experience ever.

Fbh

If you are already on Mac and have an Ipad it makes perfect sense. Having all your devices be part of one ecosystem is usually easier

I'm used to Android, I like the flexibility and there's usually more device options in my price range ($300-400). It just sucks it's by google so you know privacy isn't even on the priority list.
iOS is often more optimized and smoother, and even though Apple probably still collects as much info as they can at least their core business isn't selling information. But I don't like the walled garden approach and I always got the feeling Apple has a specific way how you should use their devices in mind, and they only work well as long as you stick to that.

Last edited:

Woo-Fu

Banned
You should join the dumb phone gang. Text and calls only. Bliss.

You don't need those pesky smart phones!

You've just described the majority of iphone owners. They're not power-users, in general. It's a status symbol. Apple are the masters when it comes to this sort of marketing and have been for close to 50 years.

I'm not putting down the technology either, just the premium you'll pay for it because of the strength of the brand.

Arkam

I switched from Android to the Iphone a half dozen years ago and have never looked back. While the platform has issues and is a very closed ecosystem.... its a sweet package that just works. So much more stable.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
You've just described the majority of iphone owners. They're not power-users, in general. It's a status symbol. Apple are the masters when it comes to this sort of marketing and have been for close to 50 years.

I'm not putting down the technology either, just the premium you'll pay for it because of the strength of the brand.
Yeah, I'm someone that doesn't really care about brands. Even when it comes to consoles, I have always just played whatever my friends have usually. I'll never be one of those people that always has to have the latest tech, just doesn't interest me. As long as a phone serves the original purpose, I don't mind using older models.

daveonezero

Banned
Buuuuuuut.... iOS and MacOS are pretty boring. Barely any customization, and you're limited to the App Store for all your needs. I miss Android and I'm considering switching back (that Xiaomi Mi 11 looks so fucking good) but I admit that my iPhone 8 still running iOS really well makes it harder for me to switch - if I buy a phone it needs to last me at least 3 years.
Continuity is good but App Store is not the only way to install apps on Macos. Also you have home-brew and many other ways to install apps.
OLumiEz.png

TheContact

i love iphones but if i wasn't so heavily invested in the app store i would have swapped to android a while ago. i do love the privacy apples offers tho, you won't get that in an android

Last edited:

OrtizTwelve

I posted this on a Mac site but would like some more maybe unbiased opinions. I am not a fanboy/nerd about anything so I’ll get that out of the way. I have been on Android since my Blackberry, I currently use a Pixel 3 XL and am very happy with it. What brings this all about is I have an old celeron desktop I don’t really ever use that is probably ten years old and an iPad Air 3 I use daily. When the m1 Mac mini came out it really piqued my interest in replacing my old desktop. I was thinking it would be nice to be able to use iMessage on my iPad and Mac if I buy it but right now I don’t use iMessage on my iPad because I use a Pixel.

if I buy an iPhone, the camera has to be as good as the Pixel 3 so what is the bare minimum iPhone I should consider that is also at least the same screen size? It also need to be waterproof because I kayak a lot and do a lot of outdoor activities. I also am not buying new because I refuse to pay a crazy amount these new phones cost. I would be fine buying a used phone a generation or two old. I am pretty certain I’m going to buy a Mac mini, I might what until the second generation of the m1 chip assuming they come out yearly. If not I may just go ahead and buy the m1.

I was just like you for many years. Tried many android phones back and forth and fiddled with blackberry too even when they began to make android phones. There were a lot of cool android phones and I enjoyed my time playing with them, but overall my impressions after using an iPhone for a few years is that as of current I feel Apple offers a better and more consistent user experience and things just work without issue. Things just feel better.

With android I always felt things were never up to par with iOS and over time things just didn’t function the same or as fast. There are a lot of great android phones on the market but I find Apple’s approach just more enjoyable to use on a daily basis.

Also, there’s a reason why there aren’t many android tablets on the market that consumers buy or care about. They’re all junk. All I see are iPads and the occasional Surface (rarely) out in the wild.

Last edited:
Top Bottom