• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thinking of Going on a Star Wars PC game binge...

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Help me decide what star wars games to play for the PC. Maybe give me a little bit of info about the games you list, too. (I have a couple dozen of them, thanks to the fact that my cousin got bored of gaming and decided to give me all his star wars games. :O )

I'm going to stick with modern era stuff-there is a good reason why you might want to go back and hit some classics (specifically, Tie Fighter), but a good run-down would look like:

KotOR/KotOR2 - I'd definitely play the first one first, and the second one is a pretty good game too. Smart RPGs with a good mix of action and an even better emphasis on dialgoue and character development. Had a lot of fun with both.

Republican Commando - Another console port/simultaneous release, but hey, that's Star Wars. Lightweight and a lot of squad based fun without the boring nonsense that usually accompanies squad based games.

X-Wing Alliance - Yes, it is not the best of the Star Wars space sims. It is decent and it does look OK and runs on current machines without resorting to DOSBOX trickery. Worth playing, got a bad rap at release for no real reason and never was able to shake it.

Jedi Outcast/Academy - For a bit more of a original trilogy feel. Outcast is a good FPS on its own merits, and more traditional in nature than Republican Commando. The saberplay is nice in those games too.

Lego Star Wars - Fun game. Don't judge this book by its cover.

ToxicAdam

Just play Jedi Outcast. It's great. The first two levels are a bit pedestrian, but after that it becomes an excellent game.

TIE Fighter win9x edition using the unofficial patch. Forget the pointless single player campaign of XvT, the mood-swing difficulty of X-Wing, and the hapless scripting of Alliance. TF is still the champ.

Want to work for the emperor, fly with Vader on your wing, or take out rebel flagships? TF is the best way to do it.

And damn, it needs a remake. An X800 coat of paint would be even enough to sell a few million again.

Mashing

You can't go wrong with any of these:

Star X-Wing
Star Wars Tie Fighter
Star Wars X-Wing Alliance
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast
Lego Star Wars
Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2

I've probably missed some like the starwars RTS and 4X game if you want to play those

Pimpbaa

Jedi Academy is awesome. Much better than Outcast. Lets you create your own character and use your lightsaber and jedi powers right from the start.

Borys

Banned
Jedi Outcast > Jedi Knight > Dark Forces >>> Jedi Academy

Best Star Wars FPS games ever. Superb level design, lotsa action, sucked me in and didn't let go until I've finished it.

Besides it should run @ 100 FPS + AA, AF on modern rigs.

Mashing

Pimpbaa said:
Jedi Academy is awesome. Much better than Outcast. Lets you create your own character and use your lightsaber and jedi powers right from the start.

No way, I've played both and Jedi Outcast is just a much better designed game all around. The mission based structure that Academy has is boring as all fuck. It's a little under the first Jedi Knight, which means it's not a bad game at all... all the Jedi Knight games are worth playing.

Edit: corrected my Jedi Academy > Jedi Knight error

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
So, no one would recommend Galaxies? I heard some negative things in the past but the game sounds awesome on paper (or a computer screen I guess)...

Pimpbaa

Mashing said:
No way, I've played both and Jedi Outcast is just a much better designed game all around. The mission based structure that Academy has is boring as all fuck. It's a little under the first Jedi Knight, which means it's not a bad game at all... all the Jedi Knight games are worth playing.

I guess I just really like the character creation (and really hate Kyle Katarn).

Pimpbaa

Minotauro said:
So, no one would recommend Galaxies? I heard some negative things in the past but the game sounds awesome on paper (or a computer screen I guess)...

I want to know about this game as well. I knew it sucked at first, but how is it now? I'm burnt out on WoW and looking for a new mmorpg fix after I get bored with guild wars.

I found Republic Commando to be quite fun. I finished the Xbox version a few nights ago. The game starts off shaky but picks up after the first 1/2 hour.

ToxicAdam

Ristamar said:
It's unfortunate that the first three hours of Jedi Outcast are boring as fuck...

I don't know if I'd say the first three hours, but yea, the first two stages are very "simple". They probably could have done away with them .. but they set up the story pretty well.

DJ_Tet

Banned
You guys playing Tie Fighter/XWing varients...

I played these games years ago but the PC I used had a flight stick. Is a flight stick necessary or are you guys playing these games with mouse/keyboard?

DJ_Tet said:
You guys playing Tie Fighter/XWing varients...
I played these games years ago but the PC I used had a flight stick. Is a flight stick necessary or are you guys playing these games with mouse/keyboard?

Yes. If you're not using a flightstick, you're just damn crazy (and I should know, I played through the expansionless TF back in the day using the mouse)

Thankfully even the cheapest flightstick on Logitech's website is more than enough for the game.

Wunderchu

Probably the best ones would be the games in the KotOR series (best of this series is probably the original KotOR), and the Jedi Knight series [best of this series is probably Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast , or perhaps Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II (although you may want to be prepared for some dated graphics if you decide to play Dark Forces II)]

Nester

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Star Wars Battlefront. My friends and I had a blast playing that online.

Top Bottom