• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This "Bethesda.net" thing feels bad

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Origin implemented some features before Steam, like refunds and being able to choose where to install your games. Uplay... can't think of anything.

But Origin's refunds are only for EA games, which aren't on Steam. So where's the competition?

Hari Seldon

This is a big mistake imo. Just like EA, their games are not big enough to take the hit that not being on Steam will be in terms of marketing. If their game is not popping up on the front page of steam or on steam sales it will be extremely easy to avoid and not impulse purchase. They are not Blizzard, I actually need convincing to purchase a bethesda game.

I hope each of these companies takes their games off Steam: Bethesda, SE, Ubisoft, the works. You want your own client and no Valve cut? Get off Steam.

EA's happy with less PC sales and revenue.

Why are people assuming their games wont be on Steam? You can pre-order Fallout 4 on there.

I'm not assuming they will, I'm hoping they will.

I'm really fucking tired of only being able to get Steam keys through Steam and purchasing GOG, Rockstar Social Club, uPlay, Telltale keys through other retailers and having to launch their requisite clients regardless.

They should stop selling their games on Steam.

Competition in digital stores is good.

Any monopoly is bad. If there was only steam available, they may have enforced a subscription fee (like PSN+ or live) but its unlikely that would ever happen.

Shambles

If it's not on Steam, GOG, or platform-less it doesn't sit on my computer. I have an Origin (For the free games) and battle.net account but they get opened about once a year. Bethseda can do what it wants, I'm already doing what I want.

Competition in digital stores is good.

Any monopoly is bad. If there was only steam available, they may have enforced a subscription fee (like PSN+ or live) but its unlikely that would ever happen.

Competition among digital stores is good, we get better prices.

Competition among digital platforms has been bad because publishers put the bare minimum of effort into their clients.

Remember Rockstar Social Club at GTA V's launch? Or how long it takes to update most uPlay games? Or how EA doesn't put forth much effort in improving Origin?

Ge0force

Banned
I'm not assuming they will, I'm hoping they will.

I'm really fucking tired of only being able to get Steam keys through Steam and purchasing GOG, Rockstar Social Club, uPlay, Telltale keys through other retailers and having to launch their requisite clients regardless.

They should stop selling their games on Steam.

Lol what are you talking about? There are dozens of 3rd party retailers selling Steam keys. And why would you wanna maintain so many different ecosystems, friendslists, PM boxes, achievements etc... on a single platform?

Lol what are you talking about? There are dozens of 3rd party retailers selling Steam keys. And why would you wanna maintain so many different ecosystems, friendslists, PM boxes, achievements etc... on a single platform?

For the companies that have separate clients, you can typically only buy their keys on retailers like Nuuvem and GMG (Rockstar, Ubisoft, TellTale). That's what I'm talking about.

You're not going to be able to buy Steam keys for Bethesda games on those sites after Bethesda.net launches.

I don't want so many platforms and ecosystems, I want one -- Steam. Publishers don't. So I want them to launch all their separate clients and fail.

Competition among digital platforms has been bad because publishers put the bare minimum of effort into their clients.

Remember Rockstar Social Club at GTA V's launch? Or how long it takes to update most uPlay games? Or how EA doesn't put forth much effort in improving Origin?

yeah, it has its downsides. I really miss steam F12 screen shot in witcher 3 gog edition. they havent added such a feature

This. Publishers can sell Steam keys for 100% cut so what the heck they need their own crappy client for? It's not competition when none of them actually try to compete with Steam's feature set.

Wiktor

I just wish they give me a choice where to buy it. I really love to have all my games in one ecosystem where all my friends are.
That will never happen and realistically it probably shouldn't.
I do hope somebody will eventually make some sort of universal client that will hook up to different stores and services, allowing you to know where your games are, where the prices are the lowest and with one friends list. But unless somebody makes a thing like that one common client will never happen.

Game Guru

Don't think this is correct. There are more gog copies of The Witcher 3 but every non steam version sold activates on gog, so while there are more gog copies, that doesn't mean more copies sold on gog than on steam.

Witcher 3 GoG version was on every site except Steam, it had more reach even then GoG version is only ahead by 100k units or so while Steam racked up 500+K on its own. Yes Witcher 3 sold incredibly well on GoG but that is the exception, it is practically the only modern AAA game on that service as such I cannot see GoG as a serious competitor to Steam.

It didn't sell better on GOG. There's more owners of Witcher 3 on GOG because that's literally where every copy of the game had to be activated except for Steam copies.
Retail version activates on it(optional)
Every DD seller sells a GOG key for it.
And let's not forget that the a GOG key was given away with Nvidia graphic card purchases.
So no, it didn't sell better on GOG.

Doesn't matter if it is a GOG Key bought from another store. A good chuck of people still redeemed the game off of GOG instead of just buying it off of Steam. I would assume that the point for Steam being preferred would be that people want all their games in one client, not that people could buy it off of only one store.

Top Bottom