• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This is EMBARASSING Crytek: Crysis Remastered vs. Crysis Enhanced Mod

MarkMe2525

Look at this shit. LOOK AT IT! And they want to sell you this garbage for 30€ on Epic Game Store.

Ray-traced my ass

They even get better FPS in the mod

I can understand having to rebuild for consoles, but they should have had a separate branch of development that did something similar to this for PC.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I prefer the lighting of the remaster. That "enhanced" version screams old PC plain lighting. Something, I know, a lot of people like. The same people that hates post effects like motion blur, chromatic aberration, etc.

Apparently motion blur is broken in the remaster too (based on the DF video).

I just think the old lighting looks more realistic, and unique. This version looks like every other game.

Some parts looks better in the enhanced mod, others look worse.

Either way, based on the digital foundry video it seems like the biggest issue of the definitive edition is that it's based on the Ps3/360 port. Meaning missing features, a missing level, worse controls, worse physiscs, etc.

Lol what? Comparing a professionally made product that's being sold for a profit with a fan made mod some people made on their free time for free is unfair now?

Yes, like I said. Unlimited time/unlimited budget versus limited time/limited budget. The company is tied down by restraints while the modders are much less so.

Last edited:

theclaw135

Banned
Modders may have no money, but they can reach out to whoever they feel like. If they want to get a professional to work on it for free with the condition of remaining anonymous/uncredited, they probably can.

Pagusas

Elden Member
The remastered lighting looks a lot better, but it has so many flaws right now I wont touch it. They need to fix the foilage animation, put back in the real physics, fix the cut scene lighting, fix the skin shaders, and fix the lack of volumetric clouds/fog/lightening effects

Super embarassing port, it's like they forgot about all the little things that "wowed" us back then.
Like why tf is the geometry LESS destructible 13 years later? The lighting is so screwed up too.
I'm really let down by this one.
Because for the first time in a long time, we can directly compare a game that was made exclusively for PC and targeted it as the platform vs a ported console game that had to be downgraded to run on shitty spec subsidized hardware. This is the standard for all games now, and why scaling in PC settings from low to highest shows such little gain today.

UnNamed

Banned
How in the world that "enhanced" version is better than the remaster?

This enhanced has the same problems every Crysis mod have: crunched shadows, overdesaturated look, strange effects (what's wrong with characters' eyes?), lighting working on a certain condition but orribile on every other conditions.

This remaster has several issues, but it's better than the original.

ethomaz

Banned
Only from an artistic perspective, unless you think higher resolution textures and more realistic lighting is "worse".
From a technical graphic perspective.

Sure it has better textures.

But it has less details, lack of shadows, water is worst, etc.

spons

Gold Member
It's not embarrassing, it's the lowest common denominator. This shit has been made to run on a wide variety of devices, not just the high-end.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
The Remaster is gimped because it's based on the console codebase. The rendering pipeline is so much better in that, but it won't bring back the shit that was stripped out to get it working on PS3.

Rikkori

I still prefer the remastered version, the lighting & colour grading is much, much more pleasing. And the performance can be really good as well if you know how to set it up. There's no way to get locked 60 on OG, but you can on the remaster. And on top of that, actual real HDR is monumental and worth more than ray tracing and everything else put together. It's not a close contest at all unless you lack the proper dispaly.

Iamborghini

I think this remaster lack of talent, the lighting looks like an indie game (and even indie games theses days are better)
I dont like the look of the "enhanced" version either... for me the original one was good looking and the most consitant.

Can someone please explain why lighting on Switch looks better than on Xbox One X?

From new DF video:

FzUcJoR.jpg

XXwsRtZ.jpg

thelastword

Banned
I'll take the vision of the original devs. The mod is not better, if you prefer it it's really subjective and up to your tastes, but that extreme sharpening and darker picture is certainly not better than what Crytek has done here....

Top Bottom