• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This site’s mobile posting is awful and has been for a long time.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
And it’s been that way for years now.

Typing and posting images from your phone is a horrible experience and needs to be fixed. Basically Neogaf has bad “ bubbling “ issues. For example when you go to paste a image url there’s a 90% chance your tap into the paste bar bubbles down to the text area below moving the cursor to the top of your post resulting in posting the image in the middle of a paragraph. 😵‍💫

The like pop up is way too small and awkward to use. I usually have to tap it twice to get the actual response I want.

This one might already exist but you should have a setting to turn off auto save of post drafts.

There’s seems to be some “smart” features that hampers the over all ability to edit smoothly on mobile. Backspace stopping on emojis to cycle through different versions. and some sentence endings stop backspace completely for some reason.

The image posting is a biggie though. 👎

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Awful is a strong word. I'm on phone a lot.

I will say though that I often can't click the icons inside the post/reply editor, such as the one to post a image URL. That's about my only issue though honestly. Sometimes the window gets a little obscured by the text entry window when you type also, but I don't know how that could be helped honestly.

Totally agree. I hate posting images when using my phone. The text box is too small and the image rarely ends up where I want it to be. I need to delete it and try multiple times. Also, resizing images is a pain in the ass. on Desktop you can just drag the image to resize but on mobile you need to go into a menu and input the pixel values.

ShinFuYux

I still can't figure out how to edit my comments after i reply in a post. I've been on this site for years and it baffles me that this site isn't very user friendly for mobile users. This site is still stuck in 2006.

GeekyDad

e1effaea-0189-4a57-bbe1-41e61cd8de53_text.gif

Nah, I truly have no idea. So, does NG have its own app, or you using it via a browser? I've never actually tried it on my phone.

Tams

Most of what makes posting on mobile bad is being on mobile.

You can only fit so much onto tiny screens.

K1mz3yX.jpg

This post was written on the front screen of a 2019 Fold (so very narrow), and posting that image couldn't have been simpler.

nkarafo

Mobile posting is awful in every site IMO. Maybe some sites are worse than others but i wouldn't know. I only use the phone to browse, never to post stuff more elaborate than a simple text reply.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I haven't been on GAF on an actual computer since before the Great Exodus. My trick is never knowing that other people have it better, so I can exist ignorantly as a relativistic King of all I survey.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I still can't figure out how to edit my comments after i reply in a post. I've been on this site for years and it baffles me that this site isn't very user friendly for mobile users. This site is still stuck in 2006.
Click the text that says❕Report and fill in the changes you want. The system is automated but can take some time before the change takes effect depending on how many requests are in queue.

ReBurn

Gold Member
It's pretty much great for me. The only thing that frustrates me is how whatever javascript the comment box uses to try to fix the ending of sentences conflicts with iOS trying to do the same thing. It breaks autocomplete and deletes the periods I place at the end of sentences. But I've learned to work with it.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I only use the forum on mobile and it is pretty solid for me. It has its little niggles, the add image seems to be a little wonky sometimes but it's still a step up from having to host an image yourself then copy the URL across.

Adding images on mobileGAF can be an absolute nightmare when it comes to placement. Getting logged out if you choose to check out something else is also pretty annoying.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Aside from image uploads not scaling to a reasonable size on desktop, and not being able to tell that it’ll be a huge resolution for desktop when you upload on mobile, everything seems pretty okay.

I run into constant reaction touch recognizing issues, but dunno if thats just connection issues or what.

Other thing that irks me on mobile are the home/end short cuts. Theyre either not on when i need to access them So i have to scroll first to initiate their on state, or they are in my way of replying to a msg

Kev Kev

It works great for me. I've always thought GAF was very efficient with it's mobile model, and better than 99% of the other mobile sites I've used. Don't know what you're talking about 🤷‍♂️

cjp

I would like the theme to change with the corresponding system setting for light/dark mode. I’ve seen a few sites do this and it’s pretty neat.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
It works great for me. I've always thought GAF was very efficient with it's mobile model, and better than 99% of the other mobile sites I've used. Don't know what you're talking about 🤷‍♂️
What mobile browser are you using?

I mean clearly I’m not the only one who has had constant trouble over the years. There is a big issue with the bubbling down to the text area. At least in chrome mobile.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
What mobile browser are you using?

I mean clearly I’m not the only one who has had constant trouble over the years. There is a big issue with the bubbling down to the text area. At least in chrome mobile.
I have zero issues the rare times I do use mobile. Uh, not sure it's a browser but I have it as an app which extends from Chrome. Works just fine either way.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I have zero issues the rare times I do use mobile. Uh, not sure it's a
Screen_Shot_2017_10_23_at_10.16.32_AM.0.png
browser but I have it as an app which extends from Chrome. Works just fine either way.

This is what happens most of the time when we try to post an mage link. The pop up text box in over the edit text area and it moves the cursor to where you tap to paste in the pop up box.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
This is what happens most of the time when we try to post an mage link. The pop up text box in over the edit text area and it moves the cursor to where you tap to paste in the pop up box.
Let me try that on mobile.

TBjud11.jpg

Alright, I'm attempting to type under this android. I'll post and see if it works...

Fuz

Banned
Stop complaining or they might think to change and ruin it for us desktop users (like I've already seen elsewhere), this site is perfect.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Stop complaining or they might think to change and ruin it for us desktop users (like I've already seen elsewhere), this site is perfect.
¡Fuz! I like it and you deceived me with that underlined text. On mobile, I kept pressing "this site is perfect" as I thought it was a URL. Now I'm going to have to switch over to desktop and try the link again 😡

Top Bottom