• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This speculation video encapsulates everything wrong with YouTube 'journalism' - Series X £499 possibly

FunkMiller

Well, to really verify you would probably need to make a formal request with her university, and contact EB games. But regarding what she says/puts on her CV:

"I studied a bachelor of mass communication majoring in journalism and entertainment. I don't think a degree is totally necessary for someone striving to get into my side of the games industry (being media focused rather than development focused), but studying both copyright law and marketing as part of my degree have both repeatedly helped me. "

She also has videos talking about her experience at EB games.

...and on this, I’m happy to give her the benefit of the doubt. I’ve removed the relevant paragraph.

I haven't watched, but seems very much like a speculation piece.

I have no problem with this, in this case we're talking about an independent person speculating so she can increase subscribers and potentially earn more money. Pretty much everyone is out there trying to earn money.

On the other side, we are in an unusual situation where Sony and MS still haven't put their cards on the table, leaving room for a lot pieces like this.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
Meh. I don't care for her but she is not the worst offender of misinformation. She at least puts out there in her experience prices in POS systems is usually inaccurate (I can vouch for this since I managed an EB for six years). I find the bigger problem isn't the youtubers like her that provide information fairly but the people that take that information and spread it out of context (including some "legit" news sites). Don't get me wrong, there are many youtubers and Twitter accounts that spread misinformation on purpose but she is not that bad IMO.

Last edited:

NeoLed

Aah, my bad then, I must have missed that part (my fault, was only really half watching while working). But if she knows this why make the video?
To clarify that she didn't leak Series X price.

The picture was shared on podcast talking about games. She even said it might be just a placeholder. But "video game journalist" that watch the podcast start spreading "news" that she have leak the price.

DonF

Thats not how it works.

For the past while, say they release the 360 for $100 in America first, they then release it at about £100 in the UK (which would be like $150/whatever)

So if we're getting the new xbox for £400, likelihood is itll be $400 as well, or $500 tops.

We get raped, double dunked and then back round again a third time here in the UK
Or UK prices include the VAT but US prices don't include taxes?

iorek21

I’d like to know why is this woman being forced here almost every week.

Didn’t even know her before TLOU2, but now it seems that there’s always a thread about her or something she said.

🧐

GermanZepp

100% of youtube gaming NEWs channels are unwatchable garbage. 90% of youtube gaming related content is hot trash. Like fucking disgusting. I only see our fellow NXGamer NXGamer , gmanlives, and matthew matosis. i take suggestions.

Jaxcellent

She is so terrible, attention girl, clickbait titles. watched one of her vids, these people take themselves much to serious, a journalist, really? LoL

Tulipanzo

I gave up on her after she put out her GP "rant".
She starts out by saying, in a serious tone, "we need to talk about Gamepass". I thought she was going to talk about game development, long-term viability, changes in attitude towards games and how much they should cost.
Instead she jumps to talking about how "great value" the service is, and that people saying they don't care for the games on it are short-sighted and should appreciate how cheap it is.

I'm not even annoyed by the shallow "points", as much as the emotional manipulation when cynically try to push a marketing line for a subscription.
She spent the past few months making excuses for MS, from Halo to Battletoads and beyond. Don't trust her

hard_boiled

Neophyte
The video seems fine to me. It would be nice for her to include sources, but at this point everything is speculation regardless.

Humdinger

Yeah, I've noticed how click-baitey Youtube headlines can be. Crapgamer excels at this. His headlines always make it sound like something monumental was just announced, but when you watch, it's some minor event. It's kind of funny, but I keep clicking on his videos and falling for it.

I don’t watch many these days, even some lesser known ones. I find the whole Superchat thing abhorrent and makes me wonder what will follow after. Think a bit of genuine gratitude for managing substantial views and subs wouldn’t go amiss for some either.

Alebrije

Gaming you tubers live of clickbaits. Their tools are speculatuon and drama. Hardly they investigate sources , funny part is that most videogame "journalists" do the same.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
yeah then shes going to complain and cry victim whenever some bullshit she pushes gets her into trouble

its like nobody has any sense of responsibility anymore

Great Hair

Banned
Edit
NEgh2m4.png

Last edited:
Because for people like Alanah, sending out accurate or verified information is secondary to getting views and subscribers, because that's where her income stream lies. Nothing is more important than making sure lots of people view her YouTube videos, because that puts money in her bank account, and increases her platform and influence.
This is true of media in general these days, because the cycle is so fast, you have to dig around to try to find some level headed people to get your news from...

Here are some examples of real news that everybody should be aware of:
_e4803794-297d-11ea-822c-9a9bb451da23.png

49948837_237301967192147_7249946675874103296_n.jpg

Alanah has been sent a picture indicating that the Series X could be £499 ($620). She does not state who it's from, or that she has made any effort to investigate and ascertain the veracity of the person who has sent her the image.
Don't expect journalists (or whatever influencers are supposed to be) to reveal their sources, if this is a valid/credible source they should present them as such, if this is a shaky source they should also present them as such--There will be no source if they get named every time, real sources often risk their livelihood to get information out there. You know if the sources are any good from the track record of those who reveal the information to you, and how they present it. Watergate was initiated because of some secret source talking to a journalist (when they existed).

Tomeru

Op, correct factual information does not come solely from journalism.

Edit:
It doesnt make her right yet, or ever.

Last edited:

Dr.D00p

What exactly are the financial returns on Youtube views anyway?

I always thought they were pretty much peanuts.

Terce

You clicked, you shared. How many videos that have a degree of effort behind them have you done that with today? This week? This month?

There's plenty of great journalism out there, and not just in video games but in general. Problem is it's getting 1/50th of the views of something like this.

Which, by the way, is valid journalism. It's boring as hell, but "I had a message that could be a leak" is news, hence the clicks.

Journalists would verify an anonymous letter because they're usually libelous. Truth is the ultimate defense for libel. "I heard a possible price for the Xbox" isn't libellous, and how would you stand it up anyway? Leakers, insiders... Nobody who actually knows would confirm it on the record.

Videos like this are a product of the really weird marketing lockdown in the gaming industry, and of gaming fans' hunger for news. I wouldn't see it as dropping standards - I wouldn't give it that much credit. it's just a not very interesting piece of news.

The only fix is to stop people watching this and get them to start watching and reading harder to swallow/consume analysis and reporting elsewhere. Do you want to tell the 30,000 people who've watched this in four hours or shall I?

Actually it's blogging, journalism typically revolves around some sort of standards and ethics (though obviously not in the US). That's like calling kotaku journalism, all of this is blogging and self promotion

Jtibh

Banned
Reading the comments here about her being hot........😂😂😂😂😂😂........no.

No she is not hot. No she has no personality. No , her voice is annoying. At one point i even considered her a trans cuz nowdays who knows.

You guys need to go out more often.

Mmnow

Actually it's blogging, journalism typically revolves around some sort of standards and ethics (though obviously not in the US). That's like calling kotaku journalism, all of this is blogging and self promotion
Achtually...

I'd love to have an on depth discussion with you on this subject, but this isn't the time nor place.

So suffice to say, the line between the two is very very thin - thinner in some places than others, but still very thin.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Be happy if it is 499, the cost to produce it is likely much more.

kuncol02

Banned
Don't think so. It £499 were to be the UK price, expect something like ~$550. We tend to get shafted on prices over here. Xbox One X was £449 over here.
That's exactly launch price of XOneX ($499) + 20% Vat.

£600 in UK is £500 without VAT, exactly $659.59.

MarkMe2525

Soo true. I've been conditioned to ignore any YouTube video which makes any claim what so ever about the next gen systems. They only decent video game YouTubers cover retro games and retro consoles.

Last edited:

Patrick S.

Banned
Reading the comments here about her being hot........😂😂😂😂😂😂........no.

No she is not hot. No she has no personality. No , her voice is annoying. At one point i even considered her a trans cuz nowdays who knows.

You guys need to go out more often.

She's hot

Not a new trend, unfortunately. The only gaming media I really consume outside of playing my games now consists of watching trailers and occasionally browsing gaf. Nothing else is worth it because it's all assholes who live their whole lives ONLINE and are just trying to cling to a gravy train by any means necessary.

It's a combination of gaming being massive and a new generation of narcissistic shitheads trying to make a buck. Sorry for the grumpy take ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

supernova8

Banned
So, watch this my fellow GafHeads (or don't. You can take my word for what she's saying):

Now, I don't want to direct this criticism directly as Ms Pearce necessarily(she seems like a decent person from what I can tell), because what she's doing here is endemic across all video game influencers on all platforms. But it is a great example of why the reporting on video games information is so godawful.

Alanah has been sent a picture indicating that the Series X could be £499 ($620). She does not state who it's from, or that she has made any effort to investigate and ascertain the veracity of the person who has sent her the image.

So why make a video about it?

Because for people like Alanah, sending out accurate or verified information is secondary to getting views and subscribers, because that's where her income stream lies. Nothing is more important than making sure lots of people view her YouTube videos, because that puts money in her bank account, and increases her platform and influence.

And there are hundreds of people just like her on social media, all doing the same thing.

Is it any wonder that we are assailed day in, day out with FUD, misinformation and outright bullshit?

Don't believe or trust anything you see and hear from people who solely rely on your interest and interaction to generate their income.

Simple.

Was there any reason you picked her in particular? I've seen loads of Youtubers coming up with utter bollocks and marking it as 'PS5 price revealed!' or 'Exclusive LEAK' and it ends up being some bollocks from pastebin or something.

It's nothing new. It's been going on for years.

FunkMiller

Was there any reason you picked her in particular? I've seen loads of Youtubers coming up with utter bollocks and marking it as 'PS5 price revealed!' or 'Exclusive LEAK' and it ends up being some bollocks from pastebin or something.

It's nothing new. It's been going on for years.

Nope. Just the latest example, and one that neatly demonstrates what I’m saying. Have nothing against her... just the practises she’s part of.

Top Bottom