• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This speculation video encapsulates everything wrong with YouTube 'journalism' - Series X £499 possibly

Barakov

She's hot. She likes girls, though.
Acting like this is a problem.

7dpOnqr.gif

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I gave up on her after she put out her GP "rant".
She starts out by saying, in a serious tone, "we need to talk about Gamepass". I thought she was going to talk about game development, long-term viability, changes in attitude towards games and how much they should cost.
Instead, she jumps to talking about how "great value" the service is, and that people saying they don't care for the games on it are short-sighted and should appreciate how cheap it is.

I'm not even annoyed by the shallow "points", as much as the emotional manipulation when cynically try to push a marketing line for a subscription.
She spent the past few months making excuses for MS, from Halo to Battletoads and beyond. Don't trust her

She's a good videogame talking head when it comes to podcasts and youtube, just know that she (like MANY Western videogame podcasters "NEED" MS to succeed this next-gen to keep the competition going with Sony). A member on IGN's staff said this month on the BEYOND podcast that he personally wanted the XSX to succeed specifically to push Sony to make the PS5 the best it came to be.

It shed so much light as to "why" certain people in the videogame's media keeps pushing Gamepass so hard now. The last thing these people want is for MS to fall off and allow Sony to dominate next-gen. That'll lower the viewership to their podcast and shows. EVERYTHING is more interesting when you have 2 monsters fighting it out (instead of one King on top ruling it all). They fear their shows will be boring if every week it's all about Playstation domination.

Gorki247

That's exactly launch price of XOneX ($499) + 20% Vat.

£600 in UK is £500 without VAT, exactly $659.59.
Looking back at the One X prices, seems like we didn't have it as bad that time around. That is not usually the case though.

However, I'm not so sure about your numbers in the second line. The price mentioned is £499, not £600. That would be about £412 without the VAT, and £412 is about $550.

Last edited:

Skullkid94700

Neo Member
I am a Video Producer, and I used to do Journalism for news (outside the gaming industry mostly). The feeling of getting a scoop before anyone else can be pretty intense; and can open a lot of doors for a journalist. But, you often times sacrifice your own Integrity for something that could easily change.

There is an old Video saying: "Do first, ask for forgiveness later". < That fucking blows, Journalism isn't about that. Journalism is about telling a story by providing the facts. It can be pretty irresponsible to act on a rumor, even this early in the next gen marketing process.

I like Alanah, and I do watch her content from time to time. She has good insider knowledge and I think most times she has pretty accurate information. No one is perfect though; and she is still pretty young. She will learn from this and get better. I am glad she is taking responsibility for the false info, it shows she is willing to be a leader in regards to the press side of the industry.

What we are really seeing in this industry is the glamorization of the news; Alanah says her source says this, so 50 click bait websites jump on it and spread the rumor farther. This leads to YouTubers with no sense of integrity or Journalistic approach to jump on it and try to spread the rumor as fact. When they get called out they apologize or just say "I dont know why you trusted me, I am just some guy making videos on the internet". Zero accountability; its just people talking for the sake of talking.

Im jaded as hell, but I hate the rumor mill. Rumors are good for discussion, not for the actual facts of a situation.

Terce

Achtually...

I'd love to have an on depth discussion with you on this subject, but this isn't the time nor place.

So suffice to say, the line between the two is very very thin - thinner in some places than others, but still very thin.
You know what, after thinking about it I was wrong. Technically they're columnists (typically) which falls under the umbrella of journalism, however I feel the term is too honorable for what they actually produce.

Kerlurk

Banned

Last edited:

ruvikx

Banned
The OP in this thread is literally the video game equivalent of Alan from The Hangover:

i.e. "You mean the drug dealer at the liquor store wasn't a good guy?"

In this case it's youtube, I mean seriously, who the hell goes to Alanah Pearce for a complete truth? It's all rumor, spectacle, entertainment & the usual internet brainlessness (which the so-called "mainstream media" is not above, either). For example, youtube has been telling me Kathleen Kennedy is getting fired from Lucasfilm... for over two years now. You don't see me bitching about the fact that hasn't (yet) happened.

But I get it, this is console war season ergo even the most nobody youtubers with tits must be shot down if they're saying something which goes against the interests of the rival plastic box. Wake me up next year once this is over.

kuncol02

Banned
Looking back at the One X prices, seems like we didn't have it as bad that time around. That is not usually the case though.

However, I'm not so sure about your numbers in the second line. The price mentioned is £499, not £600. That would be about £412 without the VAT, and £412 is about $550.

Well, you forget that my post was answer to another post:

PS5 will be £550-600.

Mmnow

You know what, after thinking about it I was wrong. Technically they're columnists (typically) which falls under the umbrella of journalism, however I feel the term is too honorable for what they actually produce.
I get it, but ultimately you end up takling yourself into knots trying to make the argument. If Kotaku isn't journalism, how do you class respected journos writing leader columns? If a YouTuber isn't a journo, what is someone who does a podcast for their local newspaper?

It ends up being "Things I like are journalism and things I don't aren't", and that's a really dangerous path to walk down.

Seems like an innocent little video. Not sure why it got OP so fired up. Alanah is alright.

This. Fun streams, good personality, cute & kinda thicc ;)

She's hardly the worst offender of what OP is getting at, could've served much better using someone like Crapgamer. He's the literal epitome of clickbait, nothingburgers, and going full ham on bogus rumors.

EDIT: Also Alanah isn't affiliated with IGN anymore, so you can't really say she's a "journalist" in terms of being at one of the big gaming tech sites. That's a part of her reputation of course and it's gotten her connections, but that's not really her thing now.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

The OP in this thread is literally the video game equivalent of Alan from The Hangover:

i.e. "You mean the drug dealer at the liquor store wasn't a good guy?"

In this case it's youtube, I mean seriously, who the hell goes to Alanah Pearce for a complete truth? It's all rumor, spectacle, entertainment & the usual internet brainlessness (which the so-called "mainstream media" is not above, either). For example, youtube has been telling me Kathleen Kennedy is getting fired from Lucasfilm... for over two years now. You don't see me bitching about the fact that hasn't (yet) happened.

But I get it, this is console war season ergo even the most nobody youtubers with tits must be shot down if they're saying something which goes against the interests of the rival plastic box. Wake me up next year once this is over.

Do please point out which plastic box I’m meant to be looking out for the interests of in my post.

You seem angry. Are you angry? I can recommend some lovely bath salts.

Also, I am waaaaay more Stu than Alan.

She’s not a reporter, and therefore isn’t beholden to any of the standards you said. She’s very clear in the video that she’s sceptical of the source and doesn’t believe it to be actually true.

In the description she literally says she made the video to explain why she thinks the report is wrong, but why people are reporting on it anyway. In other words, she knowns other people are going to report on it and wants to put her 2 cents in that it’s fake.

it’s fine to dislike these infotainment style YT channels, but there’s no need to get so worked up about one.
And you think every youtuber gonna glorify their golden top secret sources like mores law is dead channel for example ? , I'm tiered for giving sources too much credit than what they actually deserve.

Top Bottom