• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This thread is for stupid GAMING questions that don't deserve their own thread

Omni

If I liked Halo 2 multi-player and Borderlands 2, would I like Destiny? Based on what I've seen it seems like a mashup of those two games. I'm very tempted to buy the special edition PS4 coming out next week for Destiny.

How do I do a giveaway such that I minimize the chance of people who don't care about the game, or can easily afford the game for themselves, do not end up winning? I've been considering doing a giveaway but the chance of someone that doesn't really want it, or who can afford it easily/wants to pocket it for trading, kind of puts me off.

Destiny is nothing like Halo 2 multiplayer.

Think of it as a mix up of CoD and Reach. If anything. That's not to say it's bad, because it's fun, but you should set your expectations accordingly.

So, I'm moving from Ireland to Mexico city for 3 years in October.

There's a big storage container shipping from here in 2 weeks with all my(and my girlfriends) furniture, household stuff, etc. Can't decide if I should put my gaming gear in there too.

My girlfriend thinks I should sell my games, consoles and TV. Then rebuy everything over there. She's worried about voltage differences("transformers destroy stuff over time") and game compatibility.

Anyone have any experience doing something similar?

I want to bring the PS4,PS3, 360 & TV.

The TV is a new Sony one with an external power brick. Everything else is standard pal.

The only phrase I know how to say in Spanish is "two beers please", so it might be a while before I can navigate the local electronics store.

Shadow of Mordor(PS4)-related:

I hadn't played the game in probably 6 months. Had uninstalled it to make room for other games.

I go to play it the other day, reinstall it, and the alternate costume(s) for the main character are no where to be found. I believe there were two before.

Instead, there is a completely new skin where I play as a female character?

Any one have any idea what the hell happened here?

Podge293

Shadow of Mordor(PS4)-related:

I hadn't played the game in probably 6 months. Had uninstalled it to make room for other games.

I go to play it the other day, reinstall it, and the alternate costume(s) for the main character are no where to be found. I believe there were two before.

Instead, there is a completely new skin where I play as a female character?

Any one have any idea what the hell happened here?

i believe it's seperate DLC that'll also need to be re-downloaded (i could be wrong but i vaguely remember doing something similar for when i reinstalled it on the X1)

Pikma

Banned
So, I'm moving from Ireland to Mexico city for 3 years in October.

There's a big storage container shipping from here in 2 weeks with all my(and my girlfriends) furniture, household stuff, etc. Can't decide if I should put my gaming gear in there too.

My girlfriend thinks I should sell my games, consoles and TV. Then rebuy everything over there. She's worried about voltage differences("transformers destroy stuff over time") and game compatibility.

Anyone have any experience doing something similar?

I want to bring the PS4,PS3, 360 & TV.

The TV is a new Sony one with an external power brick. Everything else is standard pal.

The only phrase I know how to say in Spanish is "two beers please", so it might be a while before I can navigate the local electronics store.
All three consoles are region free so I don't see why you'd have any issues at all, plus it's only temporary, even if it's for 3 years. I'd keep 'em.

I have no idea about the voltage differences and how much, if at all, it affects your electronics though so I guess doing some research about it wouldn't hurt?

X-arlo

Neo Member

latest

LegendX48

Is there a way to upgrade/swap the PS4 HDD without losing P.T. forever?

Also, what's a good HDD for it? The one my older brother has makes his PS4 sound like a jet engine :\

Pendulum

So, I'm moving from Ireland to Mexico city for 3 years in October....

Not sure about the 360, but I moved from Europe to the US with a PS4 last year. Only bothered getting a new power cord and so far it hasn't blown up. As far as games go, yes they are region free, but DLC isn't (it's locked to the specific region store your PSN account is with). You wouldn't be able to, for example, buy a game locally in Mexico and then download DLC for it from the EU PlayStation Store - you'd need to open a local (MX? US?) PSN account.

You might as well take them, unless space is an issue and your girlfriend is arguing to pack Grandma's collection of bone china butter dishes or something. If they do end up breaking in Mexico City after some time, then you can buy new ones.

Celcius

°Temp. member
With SF5 being on ps4 but not x1, do you think there will be a limited edition ps4 to go along with the release?

Garuda1One

So if mgs5 have metal gear online 3... Where is metal gear online 2 ? The first mgo i played was mgs4.. So did i missed something ?

Google got me more confused......

So if mgs5 have metal gear online 3... Where is metal gear online 2 ? The first mgo i played was mgs4.. So did i missed something ?

Google got me more confused......
The original Metal Gear Online was a part of Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence. There was also an online mode in Portable Ops.

NateDog

Can someone explain the Suspend/Resume feature on PS4 to me? I only got mine this week due to MGSV but presumed it meant you can do it in game, so I went to the menu, exited back out to the home PS menu and went into rest mode but then had to start the game again upon rebooting. Is suspend/resume just about different applications while you have the system up?

Can someone explain the Suspend/Resume feature on PS4 to me? I only got mine this week due to MGSV but presumed it meant you can do it in game, so I went to the menu, exited back out to the home PS menu and went into rest mode but then had to start the game again upon rebooting. Is suspend/resume just about different applications while you have the system up?
I haven't tried it with MGS5 yet, but it works fine with all the other games I own.

From the game, hold the PS button until you the system options screen pops up. Select rest mode.

The next time you boot up the system it should resume the game exactly where you ended it last time.

NateDog

I haven't tried it with MGS5 yet, but it works fine with all the other games I own.

From the game, hold the PS button until you the system options screen pops up. Select rest mode.

The next time you boot up the system it should resume the game exactly where you ended it last time.

Ah OK, maybe that was my problem, I went out of the game and chose rest mode from the menu. To be honest the last type of game I'd want to do it with was MGSV (especially with a one-save autosave feature) but I had to go for a few minutes and thought I might as well try and test it out. Thanks!

Blueingreen

In Metal Gear Solid, what's the point of having a bipedeal tank that can fire nuclear weapons, isn't it more efficient to fire a nuke from a submarine, jet or a base ?

Rufus

In Metal Gear Solid, what's the point of having a bipedeal tank that can fire nuclear weapons, isn't it more efficient to fire a nuke from a submarine, jet or a base ?
It is. But intercontinental missles fired from submarines are too boring for a video game.

Otaku Coder

Neo Member
Ah OK, maybe that was my problem, I went out of the game and chose rest mode from the menu. To be honest the last type of game I'd want to do it with was MGSV (especially with a one-save autosave feature) but I had to go for a few minutes and thought I might as well try and test it out. Thanks!

If I recall correctly, you need to go into the PS4's Settings menu and enable something in the Power Management options for Suspend to persist in Rest Mode.

I use RM from the menu all the time and it always persists,so give that a go.

Anyway, I've got a question about the new Danganronpa but I don't want to go into the OT in case of spoilers.

Does selecting Easy Mode lock me out of getting trophies if I want the Platinum?

Hahs

Playing Rocket League has really clarified how many people are devoid of the fundamental concepts of physics and momentum, really irks me

There was a game I saw mentioned recently (I believe it was on Kick Starter) that was a Sir You Are Being Hunted style affair where you ran around a town with loads of other NPC inhabitants that would stare at you if you behaved weirdly. It was like some Orwellian type shit, and they'd begin to chase you if you caused too much of a scene.

mclem

Übermatik;177734375 said:
There was a game I saw mentioned recently (I believe it was on Kick Starter) that was a Sir You Are Being Hunted style affair where you ran around a town with loads of other NPC inhabitants that would stare at you if you behaved weirdly. It was like some Orwellian type shit, and they'd begin to chase you if you caused too much of a scene.

We Happy Few.

LegendX48

If I already have a PC, Wii U and access to a PS4, would an Xbone be a worthwhile purchase? My cousin's been trying to push me to get one for quite some time now and, to be totally honest, I wouldn't really mind picking one up.

If I already have a PC, Wii U and access to a PS4, would an Xbone be a worthwhile purchase? My cousin's been trying to push me to get one for quite some time now and, to be totally honest, I wouldn't really mind picking one up.

Mainly depends on if you think the exclusives are worth it, as well as the backwards compatibility.

mclem

Two Demon's Souls questions:

I'm about to go off to somewhere which has a PS3 but also a crappy internet connection. I'm in the midst of my first playthrough of Demon's Souls; I've cleared 1-2, 2-2, 3-2, 4-1 and 5-1. Is there any content I should avoid until I am back home on my fast connection? I'm dimly aware of a boss that has an internet component, at least, but not sure where it is, and I don't know if there's anything else that might want a more dynamic connection.

(In terms of the connection, I think it'll be fine for the asynchronous stuff - the messages, the bloodstains, the world tendency - but not for online play with other active players.)

Secondly, in the past I'm aware that there were special online events pushing through to pure black or pure white tendency for the duration. Do those events still exist, on occasion, or have they been phased out? PAL, FWIW.

Santiako

Two Demon's Souls questions:

I'm about to go off to somewhere which has a PS3 but also a crappy internet connection. I'm in the midst of my first playthrough of Demon's Souls; I've cleared 1-2, 2-2, 3-2, 4-1 and 5-1. Is there any content I should avoid until I am back home on my fast connection? I'm dimly aware of a boss that has an internet component, at least, but not sure where it is, and I don't know if there's anything else that might want a more dynamic connection.

(In terms of the connection, I think it'll be fine for the asynchronous stuff - the messages, the bloodstains, the world tendency - but not for online play with other active players.)

Secondly, in the past I'm aware that there were special online events pushing through to pure black or pure white tendency for the duration. Do those events still exist, on occasion, or have they been phased out? PAL, FWIW.

No need to avoid anything, that certain boss is just a pool of trolls nowadays so you can just play it online. Those events have been phased out, the last one was years ago.

Why do girls in JRPG's rarely wear pants?

Pants are not moe I guess.

Who

Banned
If I have a lower to mid range rig (mid to high range laptop), would I be better off buying Scholars of the First Sin, or the original Dark Souls 2 off Steam. I don't know if there would be a performance difference or not considering this version has higher textures and shit.

What would PC gaf recommend I do? My CPU is kinda shit so I'm also wondering what kind of performance I could expect to get. Any help would be appreciated, thanks :)

televator

Anybody know how often calendar days repeat over the years over all 12 months? For example: how often is it Sunday August 1st, Monday August 2nd, and so on...

I have a sweet RE4 14 month calendar and I wanna see if I can hang it up again.

Spoilers for mgsV

if kojima wanted to "differentiate" between the voice of keifer to big boss and hayter to snake, why in the hell would he have "venom snake" and big boss have the same damn voice actor? Doesn't that defeat the purpose?

Anybody know how often calendar days repeat over the years over all 12 months? For example: how often is it Sunday August 1st, Monday August 2nd, and so on...

I have a sweet RE4 14 month calendar and I wanna see if I can hang it up again.

It averages out in about 11 year cycles before you get a perfect repeat of days. Although it can be as low as 5 or as high as 28 before we get a repeat year, lots of variables.

I actually did this research a few months ago (for fairly similar reasons in fact) and I remember their being quite a few sites that listed years that mirrored each other. So you can check them out and see if your calendar is still valid.

Why is S the highest possible ranking in many games? Where did that come from?

http://www.giantbomb.com/s-rank/3015-2962/

Originally created in Japan where anything below grade ‘C’ was considered a failure. The 'S-Rank' allowed for a wider range of obtainable grades and thus player motivation, meaning that it was soon adopted by western developers who realized that the ‘S-Rank’ was much cooler than the boring ‘A’. An A rank is commonly obtained by getting a 90% to 95%. If the player is flawless or achieves perfection in something, it qualifies as an S . Many people have wondered what the S stands for… Special? Super? No one knows for sure.

S ranks can be used in many areas but are most commonly found in video games although they are used in other places such as in certain governmental agencies, the military and in some schools.

Some games (e.g. Armored Core 4, Knights in the Nightmare...) even offer a double or triple S Rank otherwise known as an SSS Rank.

Podge293

Will any Ethernet adapter work with the Wii u or does it have to be the official one?

Huh this is the post that made me fully fledged member material...... Nice

16BitNova

Question regarding Metal Gear Solid 3. I'll spoiler tag for those who haven't played
After the motorcycle chase and EVA get hurt Para-Medic says if I only have enough meds to cure myself then I have to cure me and not EVA. What happens if you don't have enough meds to cure EVA?

What can you do with games that:

- shops such as game won't accept them because the don't match the pal region (such As trying to sell a pal-UK on ES territory)
- Nobody in his sane mind would pay for them
- Nobody wants them even as a gift.
- They can't be donated to charity because they don't meet the requisisites (systems accepted, all ages ratings)
- International shipping costs are too expensive to make them worth donating
- They can't be put on sale though ebay (stuff sucha a Game Doctor SF VII for Snes)

They are complicated, but I always feel guilty about bringing stuff to the recycling point. For example, nobody wants a modded XBOX (used for XBMC during years) even for spares (It needs a drive replacement), so I have no other choice that bring it to the electronic recycling container.

At least my old phones weren't that complicated. All of them went straight to the red cross.

Question regarding Metal Gear Solid 3. I'll spoiler tag for those who haven't played
After the motorcycle chase and EVA get hurt Para-Medic says if I only have enough meds to cure myself then I have to cure me and not EVA. What happens if you don't have enough meds to cure EVA?

She will be losing health all the time. Basically, you can keep her alive by giving her anything you have caught or can catch while escaping to keep her in acceptable health

Top Bottom