• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This thread is for stupid GAMING questions that don't deserve their own thread

Archon473

I just put a new harddrive into my 120GB slim PS3 (I used the stock 500GB drive from my PS4). I did not care about backing up and restoring the original harddrive image. I wanted a fresh drive so I could just start downloading all my digital games and installing my physical games. The only data I wanted to transfer was my save data. I copied what I could to USB and copied everything to the PS+ cloud. The new harddrive installed fine and is updated to firmware 4.76. My PSN account recognized fine and my PSN games are all downloading and unlocking. None of my save data is being loaded, however.

I downloaded every save from the cloud and started trying to play games. Street Fighter III did not load my previous data. Dark Souls did not recognize my save. My only suspicion is that I downloaded the save games before I patched any of my games, so I might try to delete the save data and try again. The description of the PS+ cloud, though, specifically states, "Copy your save data to a friend's PS3 and continue your game progress," so the problem should not be loading data created with one console's ID then being loaded on another.

Oh also, I tried syncing my trophy collection and got an error. This may have been because the amount of data was too large and the sync process may have timed out, but the issue might be related. Some of my trophies did sync including Dark Souls, my most recently played game.

If I were to buy a new 3DS or 2DS, is there something like the Flipnote drawing program like what was on the DSi? It seems like the one for the 3DS was only for the loyalty program which is now over.

Red Mage

Are there arcade sticks that either have both the directional buttons AND the thumbstick(s) or ones that let you toggle between the two?

PtM

Banned
If I were to buy a new 3DS or 2DS, is there something like the Flipnote drawing program like what was on the DSi? It seems like the one for the 3DS was only for the loyalty program which is now over.
In Europe it'll be given as a bait for the new loyalty program. In the Americas, if I recollect correctly, it is for veteran loyalists. But they haven't got it neither, for now.

Laws00

Tried asking in related thread but no one answered so I'll ask here.

Does Dualshock 4 work reliably on Windows 10 now?
Is there some preferred Bluetooth Dongle that doesn't drop connection/works the best?
Or should I prepare myself to use Xbox One controller when Dark Souls 3 comes?

Thank you.

I use Final Burn Alpha and i've never had problem with it.

I don't use Steam to play my games

I also tried to play Over Watch and I don't think it recognized my controller

I also have a AM processor and used the usb connected for it

Voidguts

Time for a painfully dumb one. What's more powerful, PS3 or 360? Which produces better graphics?

i mean.. i'm sure one is better than the other "technically" but near the end of the consoles lives, developers (especially first party) were killing it on both machines. it's pretty subjective; in my opinion, The Last of Us "produces better graphics" than many 360 games, but I'm not sure if it's 'more powerful' on paper - just a better understanding of the architecture and development side of things on the devs part. I didn't have a 360 late gen but I'm sure there are games that compare.

maxcriden

i mean.. i'm sure one is better than the other "technically" but near the end of the consoles lives, developers (especially first party) were killing it on both machines. it's pretty subjective; in my opinion, The Last of Us "produces better graphics" than many 360 games, but I'm not sure if it's 'more powerful' on paper - just a better understanding of the architecture and development side of things on the devs part. I didn't have a 360 late gen but I'm sure there are games that compare.

See, this is my feeling too. PS3 games somehow look better in HD to me. Shrug. But I'm curious if there's merit to that. Anyway, thanks for your reply!

See, this is my feeling too. PS3 games somehow look better in HD to me. Shrug. But I'm curious if there's merit to that. Anyway, thanks for your reply!

It's subjective though. While I was disappointed in halo 4 in some ways, it's graphical oomph wasn't one of them. I reckon it looks better than TLOU on ps3.

Both consoles pulled off amazing things towards the end of the cycle. Hope we have a repeat this gen.

Ive asked this before but is there any word on the game Chasm? I know it was supposed to be out on ps4 and other avenues but everywhere I see it as only an alpha build with no other updates. Is this game still active or is it vaporware? Really looking forward to this.

Was the Killer Instinct (BONE) announcer different before release? I remember watching a pre-release vid and the announcer's "ULTRAAAAA" was raw as fuck

mclem

Since release, have there been any updates for either Yoshi's Wooly World or Kirby and the Rainbow (Curse|Paintbrush)?

I'm trying to prep my Wii U to go to somewhere without good internet over Christmas, and I'd like to get as much patching as possible done before I go.

(Also Mario Maker, but I know that needs patches!)

Jackano

This image, representing weapon rarity, cropped up in the The Division alpha thread:

TCTD_Rarity.jpg

As a WoW player, I immediately found that colour scheme and naming convention extremely familiar; it's exactly the same as the rarity sequence used throughout WoW.

That got me thinking: That scheme has become something nearing a standard now; Borderlands uses basically the same scheme, but extends it at the top end with multiple levels of Legendary and 'Pearlescent' above that. Torchlight is the same at the bottom end, but purple is used for 'set' while orange is 'Unique'. Going further Diablo 1 is very simple, only really having 'Normal' (white) and 'Unique' (blue). Diablo 2... I can't quite get my head around, but I *think* from the wiki I'm looking at it's a very different colour progression for quality than the later games.

So there seems to, now, be something approximating a standard - but is WoW the first game to establish that particular colour sequence, with other games aping it, or is there another game prior that really set out the system? What did Everquest do? That strikes me as the most likely originator if it's not WoW.

Looks like Xenoblade X is using a similar pattern iirc.
I don't think it's very user friendly though.
Shades of yellow to red may have been better. I always find hard to sort green against blue.
And a "gold" flat color just render as a "shit" color to me, sorry.

Why is the season pass for minecraft story mode more expensive than buying all the episodes separately?
It may only be by a few pence but it's really bugging me.

Season pass 5 episodes £24.99
Single episode £4.99

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Stupid game question that's a shot in the dark.

I'm trying to find an old PC game from the late 90s' I used to play a bunch, probably from around 99-2000 for Windows 95/98. It was a 2D top-down score based arcade space shooter in the vein of Asteroids where you were a space trucker of some sort shooting asteroids. There were jukeboxes floating in space that blasted rock music. I want to say the name of the game was something Space Rock 2000 (that obviously isn't the name, or Google is failing me completely) but I can't for the life of me remember it.

Playing Rebel Galaxy recently put this game back in my mind and now it's irritating me to no end that I can't remember the name of it.

PtM

Banned
For my OG 3DS, the old SD card was a Toshiba 8GB U1 30MB/s.
I tested the speed with this tool and it said 8MB/s writing speed (should be 10). So far, so good.
Now I've upgraded to a SDXC (micro within adapter) from Sandisk, 32GB U3. Writing speed measured is 13.47 MB/s (should be 30, meh).

Yet with Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (on game card), writing the extend save file to the old SD card only took roughly 4 seconds, but with the new one it takes 8 seconds? What the hell is going on?

Bishop89

cross-posting from the taken king OT cause that seems to be dead'ish.

im so confused about the taken king expansion.

I just bought destiny, it did a 18gb update.

Start menu had 'the taken king'.

Do I already have it or....????

Choomp

Banned
How good is Minecraft story mode? Listen up here, there's something about Minecraft's aesthetic that I absolutely loved. The gameplay part, wasn't for me. The beautiful music and the block-type, pixelly stuff is some of my favorite shit ever, so I thought Telltale, one of my favorite devs making a game with that stuff and their story formula would be right up my alley. I played the first episode, it was kinda cute, nothing to write home about, but I guess what I'm getting at is episode 2 and potentially the rest of the series worth getting? For reference I usually love Telltale's stuff, but some of the overall reception for this hasn't been as good. I don't know why I'm so torn on this.

Bishop89

1. I'm trying to add my partners new'ish steam account to my friends list but her profile name is not showing up when searching. What's the problem?

2. Will I be able to gift her a game if she has not purchased anything before?

3. Am I able to purchase a game but not decide whether I'm buying it for myself or gifting? Like a limbo area, until I decide.

Thanks in advance

Accoun

2. Will I be able to gift her a game if she has not purchased anything before?

3. Am I able to purchase a game but not decide whether I'm buying it for myself or gifting? Like a limbo area, until I decide.

2. Yes. You need a Steam Wallet for things that actually require money, like card/item marketplace. Trading and gifting don't.

3. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong (I haven't done it), but if I recall correctly, you can buy it as a gift to show in your inventory, where you can gift or trade it from.

Theman2k

Question:

I owned a US copy of killzone shadow fall on the PS4.
I played the US copy on my EU account (Main account) and platinumed it and everything is fine.

Now, i want the season pass but it's expensive in the US store.
I have a third Israeli account in which the season pass costs way less (third the price on the US).

But that means i need to use a EU disc (which is compatible with Israeli store).
I can change the US disc to EU disc for free.

Question is, when I change to the EU disc, all other saves and progress (and online progress) save ? And then I can buy the Israeli season pass and continue earning trophies on that EU account ?

Thanks.

Gawge

I just bought my first game on Steam for years - Cities Skylines

I heard someone say it was on sale, and that it was a good game - so I went for it.

But maybe I was a bit naive to think that it would run on my laptop. I've given it a go, but it's super slow. Unplayable slow. Just gave it another try and it was not responding. I just assumed my laptop would be able to deal with a city sim.

I have an Acer Aspire 5750 if that helps. I guess I should know more technical details?

Anyway, is this a lost cause - or is there anything I can do?

I just bought my first game on Steam for years - Cities Skylines

I heard someone say it was on sale, and that it was a good game - so I went for it.

But maybe I was a bit naive to think that it would run on my laptop. I've given it a go, but it's super slow. Unplayable slow. Just gave it another try and it was not responding. I just assumed my laptop would be able to deal with a city sim.

I have an Acer Aspire 5750 if that helps. I guess I should know more technical details?

Anyway, is this a lost cause - or is there anything I can do?

Which specific model of the 5750 do you have? Is it one that comes with a dedicated graphics card or an integrated one?

If it is one that has an integrated graphics card then that is most likely the cause of the game running slow. On the game's steam page it states that integrated Intel graphics cards are not supported. If you can still request a refund on the game I suggest you do it.

Gawge

Which specific model of the 5750 do you have? Is it one that comes with a dedicated graphics card or an integrated one?

If it is one that has an integrated graphics card then that is most likely the cause of the game running slow. On the game's steam page it states that integrated Intel graphics cards are not supported. If you can still request a refund on the game I suggest you do it.

It has an Intel Core i5 sticker on it, so I assume that is it. I have asked for a refund - hopefully that works. Thanks.

When you purchase a gift, you have the option of storing it it in your inventory rather than sending it immediately. If you do so, you can either add the game to your own account, trade it, or gift it to somebody. To do so, simply go to your inventory, and click on the game. A list of options will then be shown for that game.

Mozz-eyes

Banned
The song "Jeopardy" in Halo 2 is catchy, but it does not fit the tone at all. I was fighting a couple of those enemies with the big shields that you have to shoot from behind (not brutes, I forget the name) and it came on.

Suddenly the battle was like a joke.

What are a couple of (kinda) recent games that are similar to Civ 5, but maybe with more emphasis on the building side of thing, more diplomacy options, and less stupid AI leaders?

LegendX48

Beat Fire Emblem Awakening recently and, considering some of the vibes I got from the characters... is it just me or does the game seem to kind of imply female robin as canon considering Chrom's affection for the character?

hwy_61

Banned
Hey guys!

I'm about to buy a Wii U (MK8 bundle). I am transferring an existing NNID which already has MK8 as a purchase already. Will I have two copies of this game on my account, or what?

I feel like thats a stupid ass question, BUT I HAVE TO ASK ANYWAY.

PtM

Banned
Hey guys!

I'm about to buy a Wii U (MK8 bundle). I am transferring an existing NNID which already has MK8 as a purchase already. Will I have two copies of this game on my account, or what?

I feel like thats a stupid ass question, BUT I HAVE TO ASK ANYWAY.
The bundled copy will get deleted during the transfer. I feel you will retain only one "license".

SpaceWolf

Banned
Hey guys,

Got Until Dawn for Christmas for my PS4. However, whenever I try to play the game...the screen size is way too big and as a result a lot of the text is cut off the screen. It doesn't have anything to do with my TV settings and I've tried playing around with my PS4 screen settings but to no avail. Despite the fact I have a relatively small TV, I've never had this problem with any other game before or since. After doing some Googling, I see some other people have had similar issues but they never got any responses.

If anyone here has any ideas how I could fix this, it would be appreciated. I'm mystified, personally.

PtM

Banned
Ok. Is it safe to assume that the save data will carry over?

Thanks btw
Just to be sure, we're talking console transfer here? If you switch your NNID over through Nintendo helpdesk, there's no routine to move the saves, afaik.

hwy_61

Banned
Just to be sure, we're talking console transfer here? If you switch your NNID over through Nintendo helpdesk, there's no routine to move the saves, afaik.

The bundle I'm buying comes with MK. Because the transfer takes a few days, I wanted to play MK in the meantime while I wait for all my games to show up on my history to redownload them. The save from the preinstalled copy of MK should not go away right?

PtM

Banned
The bundle I'm buying comes with MK. Because the transfer takes a few days, I wanted to play MK in the meantime while I wait for all my games to show up on my history to redownload them. The save from the preinstalled copy of MK should not go away right?
Ah, I totally misunderstood your situation. I thought you meant a MK save from the original hardware.
That's a bit more tricky. I reckon it could either way, but would rather assume that your save is safe.

Hey guys,

Got Until Dawn for Christmas for my PS4. However, whenever I try to play the game...the screen size is way too big and as a result a lot of the text is cut off the screen. It doesn't have anything to do with my TV settings and I've tried playing around with my PS4 screen settings but to no avail. Despite the fact I have a relatively small TV, I've never had this problem with any other game before or since. After doing some Googling, I see some other people have had similar issues but they never got any responses.

If anyone here has any ideas how I could fix this, it would be appreciated. I'm mystified, personally.

you're sure there's no overscan option on your tv that's been enabled?

Top Bottom