• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This thread is for stupid GAMING questions that don't deserve their own thread

mclem

For those games that were playable on 360, are achievements earned back then carried over to Rare Replay (so the RR version is literally just the backwards-compatible 360 version) or are they regarded as being earned in a distinct product?

Brofield

Hey, so I just got a PS4 after solely owning a Wii U since launch. After scrolling through the PlayStation Store, I realized I can't quite find a function that I invariably rely on with the eShop:

Is there a way to add digital titles to a Wish List on the PSN, so I remember to go back and buy them later?

For those games that were playable on 360, are achievements earned back then carried over to Rare Replay (so the RR version is literally just the backwards-compatible 360 version) or are they regarded as being earned in a distinct product?

The achievements list for the 360 games in RR are the same ones as the original games, so it's not a new list and your achievements will carry over.

emb

Is there any way to get around Wii game save protection?

I made the mistake of transferring everything to a Wii U, which I don't really want to use for playing Wii games (I want to use an actual Wii instead). Copying everything to the SD card just now, I noticed a few that I'd like to have that are annoyingly copy protected.

Had a hard time searching for workarounds, since the main results I'm finding give the step by step on how to transfer saves to SD cards and back.

I'm especially interested in finding out a way to do it without installing anything on my Wii U. All my Wii data is on the SD card, the Wii U just loads it. Is there a way to get Dolphin to kinda behave like Wii U's Wii mode, and let me load from that SD card, then install homebrew stuff and try to move my saves?

M.D

Anyone remembers an online game that was pretty popular maybe 7-10 years ago? I can't recall what it was exactly but there weren't a ton of people in a match.
The gameplay remind me of Worms when I think about it, you control a character and try to aim attacks. It had a pretty cool art style and possibly items? not sure if they were cosmetic or not

Peterthumpa

Anyone remembers an online game that was pretty popular maybe 7-10 years ago? I can't recall what it was exactly but there weren't a ton of people in a match.
The gameplay remind me of Worms when I think about it, you control a character and try to aim attacks. It had a pretty cool art style and possibly items? not sure if they were cosmetic or not

Gunbound?
http://gunbound.softnyx.net/

Yeah, I was thinking of Gunbound as well. My roommates and I played it for a good while during university.

M.D

Yeah, I was thinking of Gunbound as well. My roommates and I played it for a good while during university.

I'm almost certain this isn't it but gameplay looks identical to what I remember! tried to search similar games but haven't found the one I remember

Edit: Actually, it is totally Gunbound! I just saw a video again and noticed the levels at the bottom left and immediately realized it this by looking at the icons next to them.

Thanks!

timmyp53

Does anybody know if there is any popular online repository for uploading PS4 saves? My Uncharted 3 save file got corrupted about 9 chapters in, and I reeeaallly would rather not have to redo all of that.

You don't have PS+?

Just zip the save folder and upload it to onedrive or any of the hundred free drive services.

Fbh

So I'm moving into my own place this Saturday and while I'm not that much into having gaming related decoration I've wanted to have a print of this ever since I first saw it:

CAKV9I9UwAIhzYZ.png

Does anyone have a recomendation of a trusted place where I can buy a print of this? (that ships to the EU)

So I'm moving into my own place this Saturday and while I'm not that much into having gaming related decoration I've wanted to have a print of this ever since I first saw it:

CAKV9I9UwAIhzYZ.png

Does anyone have a recomendation of a trusted place where I can buy a print of this? (that ships to the EU)

Here's the best place (the artist's website) but I don't know how decent the shipping is to Europe.

It's a very cool piece of art, I had it as my phone wallpaper for quite a while.

Kjellson

What's the name of the fighting game on N64 in which you play with the D-pad and one of the characters is a clown that have stage that is on an air balloon?

Sjefen

My situation:

1 floor: living room with TV + PS4
basement: Gaming pc

Simple question: How can I play my gaming PC on my tv in 1 floor without wires and what do I need to buy?

mclem

My situation:

1 floor: living room with TV + PS4
basement: Gaming pc

Simple question: How can I play my gaming PC on my tv in 1 floor without wires and what do I need to buy?

It's hard to be too sure based on your exact setup, but I suspect the Steam Link would not be a bad starting point to look at. You're not quite going to get the quality of image that you'd get from the PC directly, though.

Can anybody think of any Achievement/Trophy style systems in games before Achievements/Trophies were actually a thing?

The earliest I can think of is the Skill Point system in the Ratchet & Clank series (2002) but I'm sure there's earlier.

mclem

Can anybody think of any Achievement/Trophy style systems in games before Achievements/Trophies were actually a thing?

The earliest I can think of is the Skill Point system in the Ratchet & Clank series (2002) but I'm sure there's earlier.

It depends where you draw the line, but I would probably argue that the scoring system in early text adventures is along similar lines - at least for those where it wasn't just a case of "You will get all the points if you finish the game". There's certainly a number of games with multiple solutions to puzzles with different scores for each; for instance, Wishbringer (an Infocom title) had as a central mechanic the titular Wishbringer, a magical stone with the ability to grant certain wishes, and the major puzzles had both a solution that used the wishing stone and one that did not; for maximum points you'd have to complete the game without wishing.

The original Adventure has been adapted and expanded very frequently to the extent that a particular version is generally identified by the number of points available in it, with Adventure-350 usually regarded as the canonical one; even right back then, there's a lot of actions that score points without progressing towards the 'win' state - and conversely, things you want to avoid that will prevent you from getting the perfect score. All you need to do to enter the endgame is find all the treasures, but for one thing, to maximise your score you also need to ferry all those treasures back to base, often with their own puzzles; For instance, one of the game's treasures - a ming vase - is highly fragile, you need to keep it intact to maximise your score. You also lose points permanently if you die and are resurrected, so a perfect playthrough keeps you alive. One of the treasures is a collection of coins, but if you're careless with lamp power you might need them to buy a battery, again reducing your overall score.

And then if you do everything perfectly, you'll have a fine total of... 349 points. Out of 350. And so the Last Lousy Point, one of the crueller traditions of early text adventures, also rears its ugly head. It's usually done by doing an action that may not be particularly well-clued; in the case of Adventure, you get it by dropping a certain item in a certain location - which is clued, but not terribly logical as to why that's a point-scoring thing. Oh, yeah, and for good measure, there's one other thing: That location is really hard to get out of. You can get a hint to do so... at the cost of some points!

I would argue, I think, that these things are in the same spirit as achievements. They introduce extra challenges (in the case of getting the treasures back to base), reward economical play (In the case of not running the lamp down so you need the batteries) and careful play (In the case of not dying)... and then there's one that's just wildly absurd and silly to irritate completionists.

For me, that's near enough.

Why wasn't there even a single negative Bioshock Infinite review when it was released? Some people love it for valid reasons, and some people strongly dislike it for valid reasons. It's a very divisive game, yet you wouldn't know that from the reviews.

Can I upload my Saint's Row 3/4 Boss from 360 to Re-elected on PS4? I have a community account but they apparently wiped my uploaded characters. I can just go into my 360 and upload them again but will they be downloadable on PS4?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Why wasn't there even a single negative Bioshock Infinite review when it was released? Some people love it for valid reasons, and some people strongly dislike it for valid reasons. It's a very divisive game, yet you wouldn't know that from the reviews.

Because BioShock brings the good back into video games. I'm sure a lot of people hate Fallout or even The Last of Us, but they bring a sense of quality gaming for everyone to some extent.

BioShock was a great looking game and Columbia had a lot work put into the world, music, voice talent, everything. It was enjoyable if you didn't look at it in a very critical way. I'm sure there's people who think its trash, but for those first handful of hours of entering the world and interacting with what's going; it's the best. At least for me it is.

Look at how many people cosplayed or got into the art style of it? It drew in a lot of people and the diversity was wonderful. Not a lot of games get that and some should. We don't see the trendy crowd or the people who want the best play Phantasy Star Online unless we're trying to go all out here on the spectrum. I'm sure we all could share some hardcore feels when it comes to game series. It's just no one wants to see it.

I just got the A Link Between Worlds reprint. Do I need to have finished LttP to understand ALBW's story?
For that matter, is having finished OOT important for Majora's Mask's story?

I just got the A Link Between Worlds reprint. Do I need to have finished LttP to understand ALBW's story?
You don't need to even have turned on LttP to understand ALBW. All you'll miss is some callback references.

OoT is referenced in the beginning of MM, and a handful of parts in side quests, but you don't need to have played it.

KarmaCow

What Nintendo games are there where playing the previous game is a requisite to follow the story? You'll be fine.

You don't need to play them but they do have nods and references for those that have played them. It's hardly crucial but I do think MM's surreal atmosphere works better when you're confronted with the same characters models (not the actual characters themselves) in OoT but in a completely different context. The game is plenty weird on it's own without that but if you're not in any hurry and have the games already, might as well play them in release order.

You don't need to even have turned on LttP to understand ALBW. All you'll miss is some callback references.

OoT is referenced in the beginning of MM, and a handful of parts in side quests, but you don't need to have played it.

What Nintendo games are there where playing the previous game is a requisite to follow the story? You'll be fine.

You don't need to play them but they do have nods and references for those that have played them. It's hardly crucial but I do think MM's surreal atmosphere works better when you're confronted with the same characters models (not the actual characters themselves) in OoT but in a completely different context. The game is plenty weird on it's own without that but if you're not in any hurry and have the games already, might as well play them in release order.

Thanks!

Tambini

Is there a difference in sound quality to plugging my soundbar to the tv via optical as opposed to straight to the console?

This whole time I've had it plugged into the back of my ps4 without realising I could just do it to the TV without having to swap the cable if I wanted to use it on ps3 for instance.

I've also noticed the subwoofer doesnt seem to work as well if at all when plugged into the console

Gurrry

Can I buy a replacement charging cable for the Wii U Gamepad? My cat decided it would be a good idea to chew through mine. I know you can't buy the Gamepad separately, and I can easily find third party charging cables, but I'd rather buy an official Nintendo one if at all possible.

Same thing happened to me.. I got a replacement at Frys Electronics. It wasnt a first party cable, but it works. To be honest, I actually like this one better because its a thicker cord. (thats what she said)

RedSwirl

If I were to import a PC game (on disc) from the UK, what would be the best seller through which to do so? Would it be advisable to just buy it from Game.co.uk and eat the extra shipping costs?

Woorloog

Banned
Is it possible for a game to have DLC made by a different dev (than the original)?

Yes, it has occasionally happened. For example, some map packs for Halos were made by Certain Affinity rather than Bungie or 343i Industries.

EDIT I reckon they were more like outsourced than CA requesting to make DLC though. Indeed, i would assume most non-original dev DLC are products of outsourcing.

KarmaCow

Is it possible for a game to have DLC made by a different dev (than the original)?

It's possible and happening more and more lately. The Borderlands 2 DLC was made by 2K Australia (who went on to make The Pre-Sequel) rather than Gearbox themselves and Gearbox themselves started out making Blue Shift for Half-Life 1. Many Call of Duty maps packs are also made by other devs other than the ones who made the original game and Ubisoft games are made by studios all over the world now.

If you're talking about outside of the publisher, like say Square Enix wanting to make DLC for Capcom, I imagine that's more a business issue rather than a purely technical problem but I wouldn't be surprised if it happened since it already happens with full games and ports.

z3phon

I got the Xbox one yesterday and would like to know if I can download a game I just purchased while I'm away from the Xbox. Is there some way to download a game from the website or the iPhone app?

anothertech

The only question that matters:

Why don't Vanquish or Heavenly Sword have a proper sequel? Why aren't they on ps now or ps4 had remake list???!

That is all.

based on this video, is it reasonable to gather that the Ps3 was overall 4x as powerful as the 360 (but suffered disadvantages with the split ram elsewhere in power)?

Am I just unfamiliar with some weird shorthand I've never heard, or is he dropping syllables all over the place? "Prossing" and "Deloping/Delopers". It's distracting as hell.

dentoomw

I am looking to buying a larger capacity HD for my PS4. The only thing I really want to hang onto right now is my copy of P.T. So my question is, is there anyway I can transfer P.T. to the new hard drive in a playable state and if so can someone point me towards how to go about doing it? :)

anothertech

I am looking to buying a larger capacity HD for my PS4. The only thing I really want to hang onto right now is my copy of P.T. So my question is, is there anyway I can transfer P.T. to the new hard drive in a playable state and if so can someone point me towards how to go about doing it? :)
I'm in same position. All answers so far point to 'no'

Would be glad to be proven wrong. Please someone... Is there a way??

Top Bottom