• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This thread is for stupid GAMING questions that don't deserve their own thread

New one, and second model if you can, the new model is fugly imho.

Thanks. I'm concerned with getting one with a worn out lens, not to mention out of warranty if it fails soon. I've considered sending my BC one to repair, but it won't be cheap. And that monster eats power like a hog.

Let's see if they go down in price now that PS4 is getting a price cut...

Woodchipper

Do you guys think Twisted Metal is completely dead, or is there a tiny chance that some SCE studio (first or second party) will eventually pick it up?

Toppot

Do you guys think Twisted Metal is completely dead, or is there a tiny chance that some SCE studio (first or second party) will eventually pick it up?

The last one did okish, it will probably be picked up way down the line, think ps5/mobile game. It didn't do well enough, in my opinion, to have a release in the ps4's lifetime.

Hahs

Ok, so this qualifies as stupid.

What does JRPG actually stand for, and what games would be perfect examples?

Thanks gaffers!

Ok, so this qualifies as stupid.

What does JRPG actually stand for, and what games would be perfect examples?

Thanks gaffers!
JRPG = Japanese Role-Playing Game

There are two common interpretations of the meaning. It's either
1) a RPG made in Japan
or
2) a specific style of RPG similar to popular games like Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy. These are typically story-centric games using a command-based combat system.

Hahs

JRPG = Japanese Role-Playing Game

There are two common interpretations of the meaning. It's either
1) a RPG made in Japan
or
2) a specific style of RPG similar to popular games like Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy. These are typically story-centric games using a command-based combat system.
Awesome, much appreciated!

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Help guys, having mad issues playing Skyrim (Because I thought I'd mod it up and enjoy it instead of Fallout 4). I run it on Ultra settings easily, but whenever I look at a building, pretty much any building, from a shack with one npc to a stronghold, my fps drops from 60 to 30ish. If I turn on the lowest possible settings it drops to 40ish instead.

It didn't do this before and I haven't changed my hardware at all, haven't even bothered installing mods yet :(.

Even motherfucking Riften runs better than looking at random buildings in the overworld.

Edit: Okay Riften does drop to 35 when looking in very specific angles. Was the game always like this?

BumRush

Can the PSTV be used to remote play your PS4? In other words, if I'm on business (with WiFi) and I only bring my PSTV, can I play my PS4 remotely?

Patryn

Help guys, having mad issues playing Skyrim (Because I thought I'd mod it up and enjoy it instead of Fallout 4). I run it on Ultra settings easily, but whenever I look at a building, pretty much any building, from a shack with one npc to a stronghold, my fps drops from 60 to 30ish. If I turn on the lowest possible settings it drops to 40ish instead.

It didn't do this before and I haven't changed my hardware at all, haven't even bothered installing mods yet :(.

Even motherfucking Riften runs better than looking at random buildings in the overworld.

Edit: Okay Riften does drop to 35 when looking in very specific angles. Was the game always like this?

Possible it may be due to shadows?

Hi everyone. I bought a used PS3 about a year ago and it's had issues with skipping during cutscenes on some games (but not all, Valkyria Chronicles was completely fine) but other than FFXHD I hadn't encountered any issues at all during gameplay, which I've done Valkyria Chronicles, Persona 4 Arena, Kingdom Hearts 1.5, MGS HD, and some PS1/2 games from PSN. Today, though, I tried to start The Last of Us and it had pretty bad issues during the opening cutscene but then during gameplay it was awful and unplayable, with it getting completely stuck after they get into the car, where I can looking around but it just has Joel and the other guys standing inside the car.

Does my PS3 just suck or is there anything I can do about this?

koutoru

Hi everyone. I bought a used PS3 about a year ago and it's had issues with skipping during cutscenes on some games (but not all, Valkyria Chronicles was completely fine) but other than FFXHD I hadn't encountered any issues at all during gameplay, which I've done Valkyria Chronicles, Persona 4 Arena, Kingdom Hearts 1.5, MGS HD, and some PS1/2 games from PSN. Today, though, I tried to start The Last of Us and it had pretty bad issues during the opening cutscene but then during gameplay it was awful and unplayable, with it getting completely stuck after they get into the car, where I can looking around but it just has Joel and the other guys standing inside the car.

I don't know which PS3 you have but I in regards to The Last of Us I've heard that "fat" ps3s (the model before the slim version) are barely able to run it and some of them crash doing so.
If that's your case, you're not alone in that regard.

I remember a friend having this exact issue but I am not sure if he said it was because of the disc or the system.

Mozz-eyes

Banned
Just ordered an Xbone. I already have a spare controller that I bought for my PC.

Is it best to use rechargeable batteries (any recommended brands?) or to get a play and charge kit? Realistically I'll only be using one controller as I seldom play split screen, but on the off chance that someone is down for Halo...

Consumer

This is somewhat gaming related I suppose.

As an all-digital gamer, I like buying games from the PSN store at Amazon.com. But why is it that they carry digital codes for only some games, while others you must order the physical copy? I don't get the logic/reasoning behind that.

Fbh

Ok guys I needs some help. With regions and content on PSN

So I used to live in South America but I recently moved to Europe and took my Ps4 with me.
I've allways had a US PSN account as do most of the friends I play online with.

So how does it work the PAL region games. I know they will run on the system but I have a few questions:

- If I buy an European game will I be able to play online with my US account?
- If I can play online will it put me in the US or EU server? Can I still play with my friends playing on the US server?
- How about DLC. I've heard some games have compatibility issues if, for example, you try to buy DLC for NTSC game on a PAL region PSN acount.
- Should I create a separate acount to buy DLC for European games?

Also, I've seen that over here a few games are only in German, Italian and French (I'm currently in Switzerland). What's the best place to buy games in Europe that will Guarantee English text and voices?

jesu

Just ordered an Xbone. I already have a spare controller that I bought for my PC.

Is it best to use rechargeable batteries (any recommended brands?) or to get a play and charge kit? Realistically I'll only be using one controller as I seldom play split screen, but on the off chance that someone is down for Halo...

Eneloops are the best rechargeable batteries, get 4 of those.And a charger.

Have you guys ever thought that John Carmack might be a psychopath? The way he talks is kinda like a psychopath, and when I read his wikipedia page some time ago, it said that a psychiatric report described him as "having no empathy for other human beings".

Ok guys I needs some help. With regions and content on PSN

So I used to live in South America but I recently moved to Europe and took my Ps4 with me.
I've allways had a US PSN account as do most of the friends I play online with.

So how does it work the PAL region games. I know they will run on the system but I have a few questions:

- If I buy an European game will I be able to play online with my US account?
- If I can play online will it put me in the US or EU server? Can I still play with my friends playing on the US server?
- How about DLC. I've heard some games have compatibility issues if, for example, you try to buy DLC for NTSC game on a PAL region PSN acount.
- Should I create a separate acount to buy DLC for European games?

Also, I've seen that over here a few games are only in German, Italian and French (I'm currently in Switzerland). What's the best place to buy games in Europe that will Guarantee English text and voices?

-Yes.
-Most games are region free online except some (say if you buy an NA copy of MKX, you will only be able to play with people matching your game's region. Only other game that does i know of is PES)
- Yes DLC region must match the game's region. So. İf you have an NA copy of a game, you must buy the DLC from the NA store.

can the Wii consoles be considered "deathproof" or resistant to abuse? Think about snes resistant vs PSX weak.

I'm considering getting a second hand model, now that they must be cheap as heck with so many units produced.

Is it worth it to get a xbox one just for halo 5 and MCC? Halo 3, was one of my favorite MP games last gen. How does Halo 5 MP hold up to Halo 3?

Also what console would you guys suggest i get? The Halo 5 CE console seems to be overpriced for what you get. I was thinking maybe the Forza 6 LE console.

Is it worth it to get a xbox one just for halo 5 and MCC? Halo 3, was one of my favorite MP games last gen. How does Halo 5 MP hold up to Halo 3?

I did that same thing for Halo 3 with 360, then the console was always stored until a new Halo came out. it may be worth, but I'd sell it after I am done with the game. What I should have done after Reach :(

Q1- How is the performance of God Of War Collection on Vita? Is there an issue with the weapon upgrade menu in GoW 2 (very slow framerate)? Saw a reviewer mention that and if true, it's a deal breaker.

Q2- How is Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Legends' framerate on Vita now? Is it up to par with Samurai Warriors 4's performance? Overall, which of the two would you prefer and why?

Red Hood

Banned
I'm thinking of buying COD Black Ops II second-hand (can't believe how expensive a new copy still is) and apparently according to the seller, he has played multiplayer several times and the Steam code isn't used. Does that even make sense? I mean, I thought you HAD to redeem the code to play online to begin with. Aren't all CODs after MW1 SteamWorks? And after registering the code, the psychical disc becomes useless?

I'm thinking of buying COD Black Ops II second-hand (can't believe how expensive a new copy still is) and apparently according to the seller, he has played multiplayer several times and the Steam code isn't used. Does that even make sense? I mean, I thought you HAD to redeem the code to play online to begin with. Aren't all CODs after MW1 SteamWorks? And after registering the code, the psychical disc becomes useless?

Yeah, uh, don't buy that copy. You need the Steam key to play, seller is talking shit.

Q1- How is the performance of God Of War Collection on Vita? Is there an issue with the weapon upgrade menu in GoW 2 (very slow framerate)? Saw a reviewer mention that and if true, it's a deal breaker.

I don't recall any specific problem with the upgrade menu, but performance is poor overall nonetheless with frequent drops and a framerate that I'd estimate hovers in the low 20s much of the time. It's good enough for me (I'm very forgiving of framerate issues as long as I like the game), but most GAFers wouldn't tolerate it.

Yeah, uh, don't buy that copy. You need the Steam key to play, seller is talking shit.

I don't recall any specific problem with the upgrade menu, but performance is poor overall nonetheless with frequent drops and a framerate that I'd estimate hovers in the low 20s much of the time. It's good enough for me (I'm very forgiving of framerate issues as long as I like the game), but most GAFers wouldn't tolerate it.

Thanks!

Dishwalla

Banned
Can I buy a replacement charging cable for the Wii U Gamepad? My cat decided it would be a good idea to chew through mine. I know you can't buy the Gamepad separately, and I can easily find third party charging cables, but I'd rather buy an official Nintendo one if at all possible.

Can I buy a replacement charging cable for the Wii U Gamepad? My cat decided it would be a good idea to chew through mine. I know you can't buy the Gamepad separately, and I can easily find third party charging cables, but I'd rather buy an official Nintendo one if at all possible.

I think this is what you're after?

https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/us/p...lse&productId=prod400002&categoryId=cat160004

Official Nintendo online store, although not sure if you're in the US

Red Hood

Banned

Thanks! Almost fell for it, he sounded very convincing (or he genuinely didn't know).

Does this apply to all CODs or only the recent ones? How about the first Black Ops for instance?

Thanks! Almost fell for it, he sounded very convincing (or he genuinely didn't know).

Does this apply to all CODs or only the recent ones? How about the first Black Ops for instance?

Once you use redeem a steam key, it is tied to you account. There is no way to transfer it to anybody else after. How much were you going to pay for it. There many be other sites that have competitive prices.

Red Hood

Banned
Once you use redeem a steam key, it is tied to you account. There is no way to transfer it to anybody else after. How much were you going to pay for it. There many be other sites that have competitive prices.

€5, which I think was a great price. I've never seen it on sale for less than 20 on Steam.

Augustiner

Neo Member
Perhaps, I am missing something, but is there a way to actually purchase a game on Xbox Live that has already been added to your account for free as part of your Xbox Live subscription? I do not get an option to do so in the store.

How do you convince yourself not to buy a game at launch?

Rational brain says "65€ for Fallout 4 (PS4) is too much and it would mean taking money out from the savings account. You have to pay bills, meds and food already. Buy something cheaper". Emotional brain says "Fuck this, let's go to the wasteland!"

PtM

Banned

Rational brain says "65€ for Fallout 4 is too much and it would mean taking money out from the savings account. You have to pay bills, meds and food already. Buy something cheaper". Emotional brain says "Fuck this, let's go to the wasteland!"
Read up on bugs or what people have to nag about it.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Perfect, this thread is bumped!

I need an extension cord for the notoriously short GCN controller. Any good ones? Any I need to avoid? Or are they all created pretty equal?

Also, are Wavebirds still stupid expensive (and wasn't there a problem with their batteries dying or something, are the batteries non-replaceable)?

PetrCobra

Rational brain says "65€ for Fallout 4 is too much and it would mean taking money out from the savings account. You have to pay bills, meds and food already. Buy something cheaper". Emotional brain says "Fuck this, let's go to the wasteland!"

If you're going to buy it for PC just wait until it's cheaper. Won't take that long and most bugs should be fixed by then.

Perfect, this thread is bumped!

I need an extension cord for the notoriously short GCN controller. Any good ones? Any I need to avoid? Or are they all created pretty equal?

Also, are Wavebirds still stupid expensive (and wasn't there a problem with their batteries dying or something, are the batteries non-replaceable)?

Batteries in Wavebirds are replacable, they're normal AA batteries.

Also, the newer GC controllers (like the Smash-branded ones) have longer cords.

Perhaps, I am missing something, but is there a way to actually purchase a game on Xbox Live that has already been added to your account for free as part of your Xbox Live subscription? I do not get an option to do so in the store.

You get to keep the games with gold even if your subscription is expired. So no need to purchase them.

If you're going to buy it for PC just wait until it's cheaper. Won't take that long and most bugs should be fixed by then.

PS4 :( My computer is not doing well graphic card wise right now (GTX 460). Somebody recommended me to go full "You are a pirate" to see if I could run it on low specs, then buy it if I can play it like that

Read up on bugs or what people have to nag about it.
If I do that I will be scared forever... similar to what happened with arkham knight and the frigging bat-mobile-tank

What makes me want to get it now is that I'm having surgery in a month, + Xmas vacations. I have at least 40 days of not working out and free evenings taking things easy. I won't have a lot of time to play it in the future, even if it is cheaper.

Regarding the GC cord, I've been using a no brand one for years, now with the wii. No issues found, although I'm not sure if I played games with tight controls on it (fighting games)

Does anybody know if there is any popular online repository for uploading PS4 saves? My Uncharted 3 save file got corrupted about 9 chapters in, and I reeeaallly would rather not have to redo all of that.

May16

Ok so...
-I already have a PSN account (Japanese) and it's the only one on my PS4
-I made an NA account now
-It's asking me if I want to "Activate" this PS4 as my NA self's primary PS4

Will that erase the primary status of my JP account? Will it matter? Can 1 PS4 be the primary PS4 of multiple accounts?

It says that "You can only activate 1 PS4 as your primary PS4," but it doesn't clarify whether 1 PS4 can be the primary of multiple accounts.

This is all fairly new and confusing to me :(

Edit: Got my answer! And if anyone else was wondering: yes, a single PS4 can serve as the primary for multiple accounts.

I'm almost done with my first playthrough of Witcher 3 (I know, late to the party), and I figured I'd start my next playthrough in New Game Plus mode. But I'm reading that since NG+ basically adds 30+ levels to everything, it makes Mastercrafted Witcher armor not so good once you find the diagrams for the early Legendary Witcher gear. I've got Mastercrafted everything, but I'm really only using the Griffin gear at this point; should I just sell all my other Mastercrafted gear before starting a NG+ playthrough, since I'll have to build it all again anyway and the money would be good to have? Or should I hold on to it for some reason?

Top Bottom